Mount Vernon, OH
Mount Vernon Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University

Tess

My school is a close community striving to tell the world about God while also equipping students with everything they need for a successful future.

You may be scared for college, but you shouldn't be. College will be the best four years of your life. But instead of sitting around waiting for college to come, you need to be proactive and work hard on everything from your current classes to scholarships. College won't be cheap and it won't be easy, but it will definitely pay off. Also, it's ok if you don't want to major in Spanish Education when you get to college. Take time to explore what makes you happy and what will make you happy in the long run. There are so many different majors and minors, don't limit yourself just because your'e comfortable. Study abroad! Take every chance you get to travel and see the world. Lastly, cherish every moment you have with your family, because eventually, everyone will be separated and it just won't be the same.

I find that my school lacks greatly in having facilities in which students can use to hangout, study, eat, and just have a good time. The city that this school is located in does not have any places for students to go to to spend time other than a few restaruants. I get so frustrated that my school doesn't provide places for us that many other colleges do.

Our school is best known for our music and education department. We are also known for a great atmosphere for spiritual and academic growth. The professors are amazing and are always willing to meet with you outside of class when you need to talk. There are also lots of on campus activites and it has a great social atmosphere.

I would tell myself not to worry about getting into school and getting the financial aid needed. I would also tell myself to be the social butterfly I now know I am and not to be afraid of branching out of my dorm room and meeting new people. I would also tell myself to not worry so much about my academics and give myself a chance to have fun.

I love the social and spiritual aspects about my school. The chapel services grow and challenge you, and the social events help you meet new people. I have to say the end of the year block party is the biggest social event on campus and the most fun one.

Christopher

It is easy these days to get connected. With social networks and cell phones, it is easier than ever to find friends at the school you will be going to. Go to all of the school's events for future students and don't be shy! Introduce yourself to many people, and a wide variety of people. Don't become satisfied when you've met one person that has something in common with you, because you could be missing out on a great friendship and it is important to have these friendships before coming to school, so you don't have to worry about that on top of the stresses of classes and getting used to a new environment. In other words, take advantage of these situations and get involved on social network groups ahead of time, because friends make the transition so much easier and relieve the stresses of feeling alone at orientastion and during the first several weeks. Get involved early and often! Make yourself known and show that you are a good and reliable friend!

Many rules, courses, and syllabi are rather outdated and irrelevant. Although they are able to make do with, they can be rather painful at times, especially the very early curfew and certain classes one is required to take that are rather boring and unapplicable to modern day society.

Many things are not explained very well. You are on your own for the most part to find everything out by trial, which can be good because it encourages independence. However, the school does a bad job at explaining rules, procedures, insurance, financial aid, etc. and makes it your responsibility to research, which I know from first hand experience is very frustrating.

Erika

It is the best place to go to if you are part of the Nazarene faith and believe in everything in God's word.

If I could go back and give myself as a high school senior advice about college life, I would tell myself that the transition ot college life is easy as long as you pick the right school to go to. If you pick the wrong school you will have the urge to transfer to another university that is to you better than the one that you're planning on going to. It is best that you try your hardest and not to let anything get to you. If you let stuff get to you, you will stress out and feel like you want to drop out of college. Just stay calm, get your work done, and always study. Good Luck in the rest of your senior year.

What i consider the worst thing about my school is that we are not allowed to have dancing. We have ballroom daning but not actual dancing. They tell us that it was part of the Nazarene faith but it has been revised to where it was okay to allow dancing. So the school should change their rules to allow dancing.

My classmates are generally caring, and many of them try hard in their classes.

My classmates are generally caring, and many of them try hard in their classes.

One of the biggest things that I have recently discovered that I should have done differently was how I related to my roomate. She felt that I did not talk enough and would find reasons to leave as often as possible. I felt that I was simply being a good listener. If I could redo that time I would definately try to talk to her more and otherwise push myself to be more social.

I don't feel that I missed out on any information that I would have needed to know before coming.

Tracie

Being a Decidedly Christian school

Being a Decidedly Christian school

College has helped me learn many things. I have learned independence, I have learned how to schedule my time around classes and get all my homework done in time for class. I have learned to recognize what professors want, and have learned much more about human nature. I have made wonderful friends and have learned more about responsiblity. Going to college has been a wonderful experience for me, and I am so glad that I was able to attend. It has helped me to really grow as a person.

The good food, great dorms and caring teachers

Felisha

I first viewed college as something new, unknown, and exciting. Now it is hard to believe that half of the school year has gone by quickly. College is no longer new to me, yet I feel as if there could never be dull moment in any part of the day. I love the routine that college life can have and find that having a schedule for each day of the week works best for me. Planning for classes and study time is important to me. Without a goal in mind, I will always miss my target. It is most important to find a balance in everything and when I do have balance, it helps to eliminate undue stress. It has been valuable for me to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University, because of the positive and encouraging atmosphere that it brings to its students. I feel that the college has helped to increase faith in my beliefs and I also find it encouraging that most students there are well behaved, which has made the school easier to adapt to. Over all, I feel that the help professors give to students personally has been the key to most students’ success.

I would like to say that most students like them for their desert. However, I believe Mount Vernon is best known for its academic excellence. It focuses not just on helping students to become superior in their area of major, but helps the students to become well rounded individuals through generally required courses. For an example, as an art major I never imagined that I would have to take a philosophy course. I knew nothing about philosophy. In the end though, I did have an appreciation for it and it helped me to formulate my thoughts concerning personal beliefs.

I love the small groups we have a Mount Vernon Nazarene which allows new students to become connected with in an inner circle of students like themselves. Small group is made up of ten freshmen students; usually those from your dorm floor. The group meets once a week for Bible study and fellowship. The group helped me to feel more welcomed in a new environment. Before the second month began, most of us had become closely connected with each other and today at least half of those in our group are counted as my good friends.

Our sports teams. We have a tradition of doing well.

Our sports teams. We have a tradition of doing well.

It offers a small Christian atmospher.

Mount Vernon has helped to shape me as a person and academically. I have grown and matured in ways that wouldn't have happened had I chosen to go to a public university. MVNU has helped to challenge my ethics and how those should play out in real life.

Holly

A community growing together both spiriturally and academically in preparation for making a difference in the world.

I have gotten several things out of my college experience. In general, I feel that I have learned a lot of basic lessons about living as an independent person. College has given me an opportunity to begin making educated decisions on my own. I also feel that I have learned a lot about who I am and what direction I would like to take my life. My Social Work classes have provided me with important information and field experiences that have allowed me to know for sure that I am in the right field of study. My professors have helped me begin to narrow down my desired area in the field of Social Work. I have been able to be exposed to activities and events that I would never have come into contact with outside of college. It has been very valuable because my experience so far has opened me up to a world that I would have otherwise never been exposed to. I believe I will continue to learn in my upcoming college years and gain even more insight and direction as I strive to make the best life and career choices.

A person should attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University if they are looking for a smaller campus. The community is great and you get to know a majority of the students very well. If you like one on one attention and a close relationship with your professors then Mount Vernon Nazarene is a great school for you.

Aubrey

College has taught me what it means to have a worldview. I have learned about myself and what I really want out of life. I have had the opportunity to travel to Papua New Guinea and volunteer in a hospital, as well as spend time in inner city Orlando and volunteer with the homeless. My other adventures have taken me on a 1,100 mile bike trip down the coast of California for a psychology class and to inner city San Diego for Diversity Student Teaching. As you can see, MVNU has given me not only opportunities to flourish in my major, but also as a student, community member, and overall spiritual being. It has been valuable to attend, not because of simple things like great friends and good times, not that those are not valuable, but because of the person I have become. I now can enter the real world and try to find a teaching job with confidence. And I can continue to challenge myself and take risks discovering how I am to evolve in these next steps of life. My worldview has expanded and I have become enlightened about who I want to continue to become.

We have a strong sense of community especailly within our schools with our professors. Also there are great study abroad and service opportunities. The schools of education and bussiness are the largest, and being a part of the School of Education I have traveled and gained quite a bit of expereince in the classroom.

Someone who is very liberal or who likes lots of parties or large cities with attractions. There is lots of green space around but not much to do on the weekends. Not that we don't have fun, but we really have to make it ourselves. Also this is a very conservative school with rules that do not allow drinking. Some may find the rules to overbearing.

Mount Vernon Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.