Mount Vernon, OH
Mount Vernon Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University

Felisha

I first viewed college as something new, unknown, and exciting. Now it is hard to believe that half of the school year has gone by quickly. College is no longer new to me, yet I feel as if there could never be dull moment in any part of the day. I love the routine that college life can have and find that having a schedule for each day of the week works best for me. Planning for classes and study time is important to me. Without a goal in mind, I will always miss my target. It is most important to find a balance in everything and when I do have balance, it helps to eliminate undue stress. It has been valuable for me to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University, because of the positive and encouraging atmosphere that it brings to its students. I feel that the college has helped to increase faith in my beliefs and I also find it encouraging that most students there are well behaved, which has made the school easier to adapt to. Over all, I feel that the help professors give to students personally has been the key to most students’ success.

I would like to say that most students like them for their desert. However, I believe Mount Vernon is best known for its academic excellence. It focuses not just on helping students to become superior in their area of major, but helps the students to become well rounded individuals through generally required courses. For an example, as an art major I never imagined that I would have to take a philosophy course. I knew nothing about philosophy. In the end though, I did have an appreciation for it and it helped me to formulate my thoughts concerning personal beliefs.

I love the small groups we have a Mount Vernon Nazarene which allows new students to become connected with in an inner circle of students like themselves. Small group is made up of ten freshmen students; usually those from your dorm floor. The group meets once a week for Bible study and fellowship. The group helped me to feel more welcomed in a new environment. Before the second month began, most of us had become closely connected with each other and today at least half of those in our group are counted as my good friends.

Our sports teams. We have a tradition of doing well.

Our sports teams. We have a tradition of doing well.

It offers a small Christian atmospher.

Mount Vernon has helped to shape me as a person and academically. I have grown and matured in ways that wouldn't have happened had I chosen to go to a public university. MVNU has helped to challenge my ethics and how those should play out in real life.

Holly

A community growing together both spiriturally and academically in preparation for making a difference in the world.

I have gotten several things out of my college experience. In general, I feel that I have learned a lot of basic lessons about living as an independent person. College has given me an opportunity to begin making educated decisions on my own. I also feel that I have learned a lot about who I am and what direction I would like to take my life. My Social Work classes have provided me with important information and field experiences that have allowed me to know for sure that I am in the right field of study. My professors have helped me begin to narrow down my desired area in the field of Social Work. I have been able to be exposed to activities and events that I would never have come into contact with outside of college. It has been very valuable because my experience so far has opened me up to a world that I would have otherwise never been exposed to. I believe I will continue to learn in my upcoming college years and gain even more insight and direction as I strive to make the best life and career choices.

A person should attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University if they are looking for a smaller campus. The community is great and you get to know a majority of the students very well. If you like one on one attention and a close relationship with your professors then Mount Vernon Nazarene is a great school for you.

Aubrey

College has taught me what it means to have a worldview. I have learned about myself and what I really want out of life. I have had the opportunity to travel to Papua New Guinea and volunteer in a hospital, as well as spend time in inner city Orlando and volunteer with the homeless. My other adventures have taken me on a 1,100 mile bike trip down the coast of California for a psychology class and to inner city San Diego for Diversity Student Teaching. As you can see, MVNU has given me not only opportunities to flourish in my major, but also as a student, community member, and overall spiritual being. It has been valuable to attend, not because of simple things like great friends and good times, not that those are not valuable, but because of the person I have become. I now can enter the real world and try to find a teaching job with confidence. And I can continue to challenge myself and take risks discovering how I am to evolve in these next steps of life. My worldview has expanded and I have become enlightened about who I want to continue to become.

We have a strong sense of community especailly within our schools with our professors. Also there are great study abroad and service opportunities. The schools of education and bussiness are the largest, and being a part of the School of Education I have traveled and gained quite a bit of expereince in the classroom.

Someone who is very liberal or who likes lots of parties or large cities with attractions. There is lots of green space around but not much to do on the weekends. Not that we don't have fun, but we really have to make it ourselves. Also this is a very conservative school with rules that do not allow drinking. Some may find the rules to overbearing.

My school is a small school consisting of a faculty who is dedicated to teaching knowledge and the love of christ, and with students who are enthusiastic about their futures as career professionals and servants of God.

Mount Vernon Nazarene University is uniques in its dedication to growing the whole student intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally/personally as opposed to a school that simply focuses on getting degrees to students.

I have gotten a great education as well as a challenge to grow in and understand my life as a christian and my relationship with Christ. I have also recieved a strong sense of the need to serve others above self through my education. Some of the lessons I have learned here have been incredibly valuable to my whole self, not just my intellectual self. I value my education and experiences at Mount Vernon Nazarene University very much.

Melissa

My college experience has taught me that the size of the school really does not matter. In high school I was convinced I had to go to a four year university my first year or it meant I was not smart. At IVCC I have learned so much both in my classes and about myself. I really decided what I am going to do with my life thanks to the help of the awesome counselors here. All of the classes are so indiviualized the teachers really do care and make an effort to be available as much as possible. I wish I could go to high schools and tell the seniors how good commnunity college is for me and explain that it may be right for them too. It is hard to go to a university, surrounded by all the new things and still stay focused on school. Especially when it's your first time living on your own. Community college has been very beneficial to be by helping me decide what I want my career to be and what university I want to transfer to without having to rush into things like I would have done in high school.

Heather

What I have gotten out of my college experience is a greater appreciation, for higher education in a Christian liberal arts university. For I have come to see the importance of a well rounded education, for it helps the person to become more experienced in all areas, therefore helping them become more marketable for the job market. I feel very privileged to have the opportunity to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University to major in Early Childhood Education and Special Education, because I know MVNU is helping me get ready to impact future generations of children in the classroom through a well rounded education.

Our school is best known for their education program and the jobs they help their students find after graduation.

A person who is serious about learning, and who is interested in developing their spirtual, accademic and social lives further and stronger.

Kathy

I really can't think of a worst thing for my current school.

I really can't think of a worst thing for my current school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would advise myself to focus on my likes and dislikes. I would search out my passions, things I would want to do even if I would never get paid to to do it. I would make sure I went to college right out of high school and finish early and not wait (like for me now at 45) to go back to college later in life. I would not do a specific focus at first, but allow time, life and experiences direct my destiny for specifics. In life, your perception and ideas change so I would have to know and be willing to adjust but to have that foundation of a Bachelors degree early in life would allow me to then add the "spices" to make my job and passion come to life. I would tell myself to go for it, don't feel inadequate or sell myself short. I would begin with the end in mind, set a goal and make it happen -- no matter what.

At times the most frustrating thing about my school is the amount of homework since it is an adult accelerate program. I am a wife and mother age 45, so I love spending time with my family. But over the past almost 2 years every Tuesday night I have to be at class so all events my children have been involved in I have had to miss.

Julie

Dear Julie, you're about to enter a period in life that is different than any other you have experienced thus far. You will be living with someone you don't know, taking new classes, and eating new foods. Take the following advice to heart and you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams! First off, don't bunk your bed so ridicously high! You're clumsy and will fall out-guaranteed! Second, leave your door open as often as possible to get to know people on your floor. Third, if a professor allows unexcused absences, by all means take advantage of those! Once you reach higher level courses you won't be able to skip and still succeed in class. Fourth, become friends with everyone; however, make sure you have two close friends you can trust with your life-college life can be crazy and you never know when you will need them to maintain your sanity. And finally, as gross and rubbery as the chicken patties look on Saturday in the cafeteria, try them! They are delicious and they're served EVERY Saturday. You can only afford to go to college once Julie, so enjoy it while you can!

At Mount Vernon Nazarene University, if you are a single traditional student with no children, you are required to live on campus until you are 22 years old or 21 years old with senior status. Furthermore, while living on campus you are required to be on the meal plan, which is a flat rate you pay and you may eat as much as you want as many times as you may want in a day. In conclusion, I wish I had known that I would be required to live on campus and eat their food my entire academic career.

Free Laundry! At Mount Vernon Nazarene University, you have unlimited access to the laundry services as a residential student. So, while my other friends have to save quarters and air dry their clothes to save money, I can wash and dry my clothes as often as I want without spending an extra cent!

Abigail

It is well known for it's Christian beliefs. It is also well known for the community environment especially during sporting events.

I would give myself the advice to not be scared of the environment and to not hold back and be shy in order to make for friends. I would say go for what you want to do and do not let money circumstances or what you think everyone thinks you should be doing hold you back. I would say to not slack off and to try my best in school. I would tell myself to not life go too fast but to notice the small moments and the beauty that I am surrounded by. I would say to not be hesitant about the change to college life and to not be worried about being accepted. I would like to tell myself to be confident and to hold my head up high and to not let anything stop me but to also remember that school is not the most important thing and to make sure not to forget the ones I love.

I like the fact that that it is small so you get more attention from the professors. I also like the environment in that people are very friendly so it makes it easier being away from home and my long time friends.

Mount Vernon Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.