Mount Vernon, OH
Mount Vernon Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University

Sabrina

Do not be nervous about moving in! You don't have to carry any of your heavy belongings up to your dorm room. There are volunteers that carry them for you, and get it done faster than you can figure out what's going on! There will be little welcome notes waiting in your dorm room. The next day you will wake up to find little chocolates sitting outside of your door! Of course, this is only if you attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University. Make sure to bring vitamins, and get some sleep before exam days. It's better to sleep and study in the morning rather than stay up all night studying. Don't wait till the night before a project is due to start working on it. It is A LOT less stressful to break it down over a period of days or weeks. Procrastination may be the easy way out for a lot of things, but it really just adds a lot of stress to your daily life. Finally, have fun! Take some time to go mattress surfing, or play in the snow. A little break from studying every now and then can be good for you.

One of the best things about Mount Vernon Nazarene University is that the professors actually get to know their students on a personal level and learn their names. This helps relieve tension, and students can feel confident in going to their professors for help.

8:00 AM classes. Almost every college has these, though.

This school is best known for its academic and spiritual connections. Academics is top priority at MVNU; along with keeping a true and faithful relationship with with God. Also, since MVNU is small compared to most universities, the professor/student relationships are amazing. Professors will be able to get to know their students in the small classroom setting and be able to keep a relationship going.

I would tell myself about the importance of sleep. When I first started college I went from school to work everyday so when I got off work I would stay up late with my friends. Yes it was a lot of fun, but I paid for it acedemically and mentally. Not getting enough sleep and having an 8am class the next morning made it had to focus and stay on task. I would take naps during my breaks, which later put stress on me about finishing my work. This seemed like a repeating and never-ending cycle. I was always mentally worn down and tired. It was not until this last summer when I saw the true importance of getting enough sleep at night. So far, this school year has been much better. I feel rested, and less stressed about my piling up class work. I now see that there really is enough hours in a day to get everything done; even on top of working 30 hours a week!

Well since MVNU is a small campus, in a non-diverse community, there is not tons of diversity on campus. Not having large amounts of diversity can limit what other students can learn about other backgrounds. But also with this, MVNU does strive to have diversity groups set up to allow the diversity learning.

Woodline

If I was able to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would encourage myself to consider attending an out- of-state school because I might regret that I didn't that opportunity when it was given. I would let myself know to apply for as many scholarships as possible (for example campusdiscovery .com). Furthermore, do research about the school/program by looking at the prequisites for my major and take college courses offered at highschool if availabe. Another thing I would let myself know is do not delay on applying for financial aid. Try the best I can to meet all deadlines because if sent early there is a possibility that I can recieve more funding. When accepted and decide to live on campus, if unsure on items to bring look through the college website for a list of what's needed and already provided in a dorm. Become familiarized with where your classes will be and seek tutoring. Be prepared for studying and pulling all-nighters, study with a group or at the campus library. Purchase used college textbooks, use a planner and eat healthy. Most importantly enjoy the college life!

Christina

Volunteerism and outreach to a variety of people-groups.

Volunteerism and outreach to a variety of people-groups.

Think with the end in mind. When you're 18, you're thinking about a major; when you're 22, you're thinking about a living.

Not accepting enough of gorwing diversity on campus; too conservative.

Katelyn

If I could go back in time, I would tell my self to calm down and not worry too much. Don't stress out about not having all the answers. It's nice to know what you want to major in and where you are going to be in five years, but you have time to figure it out. Take time to enjoy your senior year. Have fun with your friends, but don't worry about not being able to find new ones. College is a whole new world. You can be whoever you want to be. College is a place to prove to yourself that you can be successful away from home. Always be thankful for the way that your parents raised you, but you will make it on your own. So enjoy the rest of the time that you have in high school and relax about the future. You are going to be just fine!

Someone that would like a Christian environment and a small campus community.

Someone that wants to party on the weekends.

Richard

The school that i'm attending is very academic and relious focused.

The school that i'm attending is very academic and relious focused.

Caompared to other schools this school is strict in religon. The school is set in a small town and is very friendly.

Take in the information that is being taught to you, study. Do not get bothered or anxious about what other people are doing. Just be yourself and focus only on you.

Chapel services, and the Christian environment

Chapel services, and the Christian environment

Knowing what I know now, I would have told myself to take more challenging courses throughout high school instead of taking it easy. As a junior in college I find that there are some classes I struggle with that I really should not be struggling with because I should have learned it in high school. As far as making the transition from high school to college I would say that I would tell myself to expect the best of things rather than the worst of things. When you worry about how things can go wrong you don't focus on how they can go right, or how to make them go right. My experience with a roommate my freshman year turned out bad, but I feel it was really because I let myself go into the situation thinking the worst of things. If I had just told myself that everything would turn out for the best, I would have had a better first semester. I would also tell myself not to be afraid to break out of a shell, to make friends and to talk to people more than I actually did.

The pretty campus setting and the academics and the Christian environment

Luke

When it comes time to make the decision of what college one is going to attend, this person needs to take some serious time and consideration. I?m not trying to scare students or their parents but this decision affects the rest of their life. I personally believe that one should pray about this matter, that God will guide them though the decision. When choosing a university see if there are opportunities to get involved with the community. You want to make sure that the school has spirit, for if not it could be quite a dull experience. The student to professor ratio is another detail to look for. With fewer students in a lecture the opportunity to learn and ask questions increases. Once you are on the campus of your choosing make sure to get involved in activities, try to leave a mark. Yes, learning is what you are there to accomplish but if you just shut out the world and study all day long you are not going to get far in life. If you are active in your society, your character will develop and in return people will have respect for you.

The kind of person that should attend this school is one that wants to get a solid education with a Christian faith background in all aspects of life. The person should realize that this is a Christian university and that faith comes first in everything. they should be serious about their life goals and should want to strive to reach it.

The kind of person that this school is not ment for are the partiers. This school has a very strict zero tolerance drug and alcohol statute. The eprofessors here like to have fun in their classrooms but they also like to make sure that they are in control at al times.

Rebecca

MVNU focuses very much on making sure that incoming freshmen and transfer students feel welcome. There are tons of welcoming activities in the first few weeks! Also, they really encourage all students to get to know one another through dorm- and campus-wide activities. The people at the Naz really make it great. Everyone you meet is so friendly and willing to help! Lastly, I feel the need to mention how awesome the chicken patties are. They're served every Saturday for lunch! =]

Parents love being part of their child's college-choosing process. The thrill of helping your child choose where he or she will study, make friends, and live during these important years is unexplainable! However, sometimes parents get caught up in the frenzy. They tend to forget that they themselves will not be the ones attending the school, but their child will. Some parents even refuse to pay for college unless their child goes to the school they they (the parents) have chosen! Parents, you should remember that .. your child needs to be the one making the final decision. Although a school may have everything you're looking for, if the student isn't comfortable there, they will probably not succeed. Your child will know which college is the best fit for them. Making it all the way through high school is no small accomplishment; to be blunt, your child is not stupid. They'll know. Trust me... they'll know. Let go and allow them to make their own choices.

The students at MVNU are the best thing. They're strong Christians and some of the nicest, friendliest people you'll ever meet!

Amy

There are many factors that contribute to any college decision and, as a student you must be sure of what you're looking for in your higher education. I asked some very important questions that helped me find the best university for me and ultimately made the entire process easier. The questions that I asked were as followed: How close do I want to be to my high school friends and family? What degree do I want to strive for and in what field? Do I want a small or large campus? Class seizes? Should I attend a 2 year or 4 year college? By asking myself these questions I found the perfect college for me. After answering them and narrowing your college decisions down, I strongly suggest you to follow this: Never let money decide for you. Higher education is not just the amount of tuition; it is worth so much more. You make life-long friends and gain tools that can be utilized throughout the rest of your life. Lastly, I strongly encourage you to be greatly involved in your campus community. It is a great resource and by doing so you have fun and learn even more.

The worst aspect about my university deals with R-Rated movies. Such movies are banded from Mount Vernon's campus completely; regardless of what it was. Now I know some R-Rated movies are not worth my time but others are perfectly fine. Unfortunately, it didn't matter and all are banned. The R-Rated movie rule is being closely looked at and may change for my sophomore year.

Themost frustrating aspect about my university is the campus curfew. As a freshman I did not expect to have a curfew while attending college so it was a suprise. Upper classman have a latter curfew than freshmen and at times it would get really frustrating considering I have a lot of upper classmen as close friends. I would have to leave social events to make sure I was on time back to my dorm. The good thing about this is that the curfew rules and regulations are currently under construction so it may change for my sophomore year.

Mount Vernon Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.