Mount Vernon Nazarene University

« See more reviews of Mount Vernon Nazarene University

In finding the right college, I would suggest that both parents and students consider visiting colleges within the students? junior year of high school. Senior year goes by quickly and deadlines for applications and scholarships approach without realization. Secondly, I would suggest that parent and student sit down together and form a list of what they look for in a college. With this list, it will be easier to narrow down which college is best suited for the student and is within the restraints of the parents? wishes. Lastly, while visiting colleges, do not be afraid to ask questions and participate. Make sure the student takes part in what the visitation has to offer, such as a meal in the cafeteria, a chance to sit in on a class, or a chance to spend a night in the dorms. All of these will better display the characteristics of the school. My advice in making the most of the college experience is that the student attending should get involved in activities as soon as they can. Friendships form quickly. Also, the student must learn very quickly to balance social life and schoolwork. Stay organized and conscious of when schoolwork is due.

If I was able to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would encourage myself to consider attending an out- of-state school because I might regret that I didn't that opportunity when it was given. I would let myself know to apply for as many scholarships as possible (for example campusdiscovery .com). Furthermore, do research about the school/program by looking at the prequisites for my major and take college courses offered at highschool if availabe. Another thing I would let myself know is do not delay on applying for financial aid. Try the best I can to meet all deadlines because if sent early there is a possibility that I can recieve more funding. When accepted and decide to live on campus, if unsure on items to bring look through the college website for a list of what's needed and already provided in a dorm. Become familiarized with where your classes will be and seek tutoring. Be prepared for studying and pulling all-nighters, study with a group or at the campus library. Purchase used college textbooks, use a planner and eat healthy. Most importantly enjoy the college life!

In order to really see if a particular school would work for a student, they should visit the student. Go through a guided tour, talk with students and profesors, and walk through a normal day in the life of a student, including going to a chapel service if offered, eating in the cafeteria, and looking at a normal dorm room/apartment. Don't buy in to the fancy words and souped up descriptions found in brochures that schools send you. One you find your school, go crazy! Experience everything you can, at least the first year. Value your independence, don't go home every weekend. Don't neglect your study time (make sure you read your textbooks), yet don't forget to be social. The friends you make in college will be life-long. If you start struggling academically, check out your school's Academic Support Office and make sure to attend any supplemental instruction sessions or group study environments. Don't be afraid to use each administrative office if you must, they are there to serve you. Overall, experience as much as you can, because the four years fly by. These are the best years of your life!

My mom didn't want me to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University. She said it was "too expensive, and wasn't culturally diverse enough." Both are true. But now in my junior/senior year, looking back over the course of my experience here at MVNU, I couldn't be happier. You see, college is more than the simple statistics: retention rate, demographics, athletics, ect. It's deeper than that. At the end of the day, I try and image the type of person I would be if I had attended another school. I can't. My college experience has been one full of irreplaceable memories, invaluable lessons, and life long friendships. Picking the right school is ultimately about following your heart. With faith, the rest will fall into place. As far as this pivotal moment in a person's life called the college experience, the process is extremely delicate. Over the course of the next 4 years (or more), a world full of opportunity will be thrown at your feet. It's up to you what you do with it. College is life changing. It could evolve you into a person that will do extraordinary things. My advice? EMBRACE EVERYTHING.

Dear Julie, you're about to enter a period in life that is different than any other you have experienced thus far. You will be living with someone you don't know, taking new classes, and eating new foods. Take the following advice to heart and you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams! First off, don't bunk your bed so ridicously high! You're clumsy and will fall out-guaranteed! Second, leave your door open as often as possible to get to know people on your floor. Third, if a professor allows unexcused absences, by all means take advantage of those! Once you reach higher level courses you won't be able to skip and still succeed in class. Fourth, become friends with everyone; however, make sure you have two close friends you can trust with your life-college life can be crazy and you never know when you will need them to maintain your sanity. And finally, as gross and rubbery as the chicken patties look on Saturday in the cafeteria, try them! They are delicious and they're served EVERY Saturday. You can only afford to go to college once Julie, so enjoy it while you can!

There are many factors that contribute to any college decision and, as a student you must be sure of what you're looking for in your higher education. I asked some very important questions that helped me find the best university for me and ultimately made the entire process easier. The questions that I asked were as followed: How close do I want to be to my high school friends and family? What degree do I want to strive for and in what field? Do I want a small or large campus? Class seizes? Should I attend a 2 year or 4 year college? By asking myself these questions I found the perfect college for me. After answering them and narrowing your college decisions down, I strongly suggest you to follow this: Never let money decide for you. Higher education is not just the amount of tuition; it is worth so much more. You make life-long friends and gain tools that can be utilized throughout the rest of your life. Lastly, I strongly encourage you to be greatly involved in your campus community. It is a great resource and by doing so you have fun and learn even more.

Hey high school grad, believe it or not but how far away from home your school is will matter to you so distance is something to keep in mind. Also, how much financial aid is available is a huge deal. Even though a school may have a reputation for being the most fun, if that school isn't helping you out to your level of necessity, then you may reconsider you enrollment. You don't want to be paying on school loans when you're old enough to have a knee replacement do you? Making the most of one's college experience should be based not on how high one's GPA is nor how many friends one has. Instead, surrounding oneself with genuine people that care for you enough that they would come running at three o'clock in the morning if needed is important as well as actually learning the material that is presented. All those assignments will do no good after graduation if one has forgotten the purpose of those assignments. Purpose is the foundation of an ultimate college experience and purpose can only be created by the help of genuine friends and the use of wisdom.

College has taught me what it means to have a worldview. I have learned about myself and what I really want out of life. I have had the opportunity to travel to Papua New Guinea and volunteer in a hospital, as well as spend time in inner city Orlando and volunteer with the homeless. My other adventures have taken me on a 1,100 mile bike trip down the coast of California for a psychology class and to inner city San Diego for Diversity Student Teaching. As you can see, MVNU has given me not only opportunities to flourish in my major, but also as a student, community member, and overall spiritual being. It has been valuable to attend, not because of simple things like great friends and good times, not that those are not valuable, but because of the person I have become. I now can enter the real world and try to find a teaching job with confidence. And I can continue to challenge myself and take risks discovering how I am to evolve in these next steps of life. My worldview has expanded and I have become enlightened about who I want to continue to become.

I first viewed college as something new, unknown, and exciting. Now it is hard to believe that half of the school year has gone by quickly. College is no longer new to me, yet I feel as if there could never be dull moment in any part of the day. I love the routine that college life can have and find that having a schedule for each day of the week works best for me. Planning for classes and study time is important to me. Without a goal in mind, I will always miss my target. It is most important to find a balance in everything and when I do have balance, it helps to eliminate undue stress. It has been valuable for me to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene University, because of the positive and encouraging atmosphere that it brings to its students. I feel that the college has helped to increase faith in my beliefs and I also find it encouraging that most students there are well behaved, which has made the school easier to adapt to. Over all, I feel that the help professors give to students personally has been the key to most students’ success.

When it comes time to make the decision of what college one is going to attend, this person needs to take some serious time and consideration. I?m not trying to scare students or their parents but this decision affects the rest of their life. I personally believe that one should pray about this matter, that God will guide them though the decision. When choosing a university see if there are opportunities to get involved with the community. You want to make sure that the school has spirit, for if not it could be quite a dull experience. The student to professor ratio is another detail to look for. With fewer students in a lecture the opportunity to learn and ask questions increases. Once you are on the campus of your choosing make sure to get involved in activities, try to leave a mark. Yes, learning is what you are there to accomplish but if you just shut out the world and study all day long you are not going to get far in life. If you are active in your society, your character will develop and in return people will have respect for you.