Allentown, PA
Muhlenberg College

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Christina

Literally amazing. I have attended a few other schools for differing reasons, but nothing even comes close to here. Theatre is amazing and there is always some on campus activity happening. I would absolutely recommend Muhlenberg to anyone looking

Jordan

If there is one thing I should say about Muhlenberg, it is NOT the "perfect" school. Especially as a both a student of color and an LGBT student, there are a lot of things I wish I could change about the school. HOWEVER, I absolutely LOVE it here. Muhlenberg is probably one of THE BEST, if not the best, schools for people who want to gain development as both an artist and an intellectual. There are soooo many amazing classes you can take from all departments; Muhlenberg really caters to those who want to be the jacks of all trades. Here, you can be a business major and still develop yourself as an actor or dancer and gain the training you need to enter both the performance and business world.

Georgia

My school is best known for the theatre and dance department. They are also well known for their strong science and pre-medical majors.

If I were to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot of advice to give. I would tell myself that as time passes, school only gets harder so enjoy the moments in the present while it isn't as challenging. At the same time, although school becomes more difficult, that doesn't mean you should give up. Being resilient and perservering through hardships will only make you stronger for the future. Another important idea is that you know yourself better than others know you. If you have a strong feeling you want to major in something, pursue it rather than testing the waters first. Don't be afraid to take risks because sometimes you will surprise yourself. Being a senior in high school is one of the best times in your life. You are young, have so much potential ahead of you, and have accomplished so much. Take time to live in the moment because life is too hard when you are constantly planning ahead and judging your past. The most important thing to remember is that you are capable of doing anything and when you feel like giving up, remember why you started.

The worst thing about my school is the competitive nature of the science and pre-medical programs. It seems as if the school is attempting to limit the number of students in these fields of study rather than encouraging them to continue. It is difficult psychologically especially if a student was used to receiving high grades all the time in high school. This is an intimidating factor for a new student at such a young age but it does prepare them for the heavy coarse load ahead if they decide to pursue medicine or another healthcare profession.

Zachary

A gorgeous liberal-arts college that embraces rigourous intellectualism and collaborative, cross-disciplinary thinking.

The small class size and intimate relationship with faculty allow for a powerful and impactufl learning environment.

Trust that you already are the truest and most honest version of you that you can possibly be and remain steadfast in your committment to your own thoughts, opinions, and actions. You're going to learn more than you could possible conceive about yourself. Through this learning process, you will mature, you will become independent, and you will blossom. You'll come to achieve many great things. But the you then is the you now, and the you now is the you then. There's no need to fear your future because you're living it now. Trust in yourself. Trust you'll make the right choices at the right times and know that if you don't make the right choice, the point of living is to collect experiences. You're bound for the biggest and best experience of your life. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Jocelyn

I absolutely love Muhlenberg. It is such a warm place. For me, the size is just right. Allentown itself isn't really utilized by students except to go to Panera or get Asian food; other than that people really tend to stay on campus. School pride for football is minimal, but some people go to soccer and basketball games and they can be a lot of fun.

By senior year so many people have boyfriends. There are over 100 clubs, as well as four sororities, four fraternities and a few other Greek organizations. On Saturdays if you don't want to drink sometimes there are small performances in our student union. I met my closest friends through Greek life. People party however much they want. There are some people who wind up drinking 5 times a week and go out, and some who don't.

Professors absolutely know your name. Classes are tiny; my intro to psych was a lecture class and it probably had around 35 kids. Class participation counts towards your grade, as does attendance, which definitely motivates you to go to class. Students have intellectual conversations outside of class if they want to, but its also easy to avoid if you want.

There is a huge LGBT community at Berg, and I'd say its greatly accepted. in terms of diversity with race and ethnicity, it is virtually nonexistent. Most students are white from New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania, and most students are probably upper/middle class.

There are different groups; the Greeks, the athletes, the theater kids, and then kind of in a sense everyone else. But everyone finds their niche.

Kristen

Dear Kristen, You may seem nervous and anxious right now. Don't worry, you'll be fine. The first few weeks may be tough. After all, you haven't been away from mom for more than a week at a time. Thankfully Muhlenberg does a fantastic job of helping you interact with fellow students, so you will meet some awesome people! Showering is miserable, but you'll get used to sharing a bathroom with 20 other girls quickly. Also, your workload is going to seem pretty intense. There's a very good chance you will be stressed out due to professors assigning 15 page papers. You may not get the 4.0 GPA you kept up all four years of high school, but remember, a 3.5 is still Dean's list and you attend a very challenging school. The best advice I could give you is to be optimistic, work your butt off, be open to new things, meet as many new people as you can, and enjoy! These are the best days of your life! P.S. Hide your food in your dorm room so your roommate doesn't eat it.

Although Muhlenberg boasts many fine qualities, it also has a number of drawbacks. The worst thing, for me, about this school has been the lack of history classes offered. I am a history and secondary education student and I anticipated taking numerous interesting courses in my major. I have been absolutely amazed by the high quality of the education program, but the small amount of history classes offered has had me baffled. There are no classes about any wars from World War II until now, there are no ancient civilization classes, etc. How disappointing!

People of any socio-economic, religious, ethnic, etc. backgrounds could attend Muhlenberg. However, Muhlenberg is most suitable for young people who are willing to work hard, open to trying new things, passionate about the field of study they want to pursue, as well as friendly and accepting of all people. This college is rather small, so people who like big schools probably would not be the best fit. On the other hand, individuals who like a very close-knit, caring, helpful environment will find that Muhlenberg is a great option for them!

Fatima

My school is known for being one of the top all womens colleges in the U.S. My school was featured in Forbes Magazine. It is also known for it's amazing liberal arts program . It's such an amzing school with many values and aspirations for a higher women's education.

The advice i would give myself would really have helped if someone gave me the same knowledge i know now coming into college. Following up on your financial aid is a must. Always making sure your financial aid is in order puts you one step ahead of the game. Come to college with an open mind, anything is up for grabs, get involved and always stay focused. Trust me! as much as you may think you wil not get distracted in college, YOU WILL! This is where maturity comes into play and you have to learn how to avoid some of these distractions. Last but not least learn how to take chances, this expands not only you and your knowledge in so many ways but also your lifestyle.

I wish i would have truly known how competitive the Nursing program would be. Coming in as a freshman i didn't know what to expect so by knowing ahead of time i would have prepared myself better. I would also like to have had some better insight on college life and some of the little situations i might come across.

Georgia

In my opinion, Muhlenberg is the college that everyone needs to go to but doesn't realize it. The classes are small enough that the faculty can give active attention to each student. The faculty make a huge effort to get to know their students and to help them. Furthermore, everyone is really kind and considerate on campus, from the dining service faculty to all the students. It's not called "the caring college" for nothing. It's a small school with a lot of spirit and there really is a place for everyone.

The biggest obstacle in my transition was the realization that I don't live at home anymore. The comforts of my bedroom were no longer there and my room was no longer my own. Furthermore, my family lived more than three hours away. It was a big shock that took quite a while to overcome. Looking back on it now, I would give myself two pieces of advice. The first one would be to enjoy my time at home and to enjoy the comforts of home. The second one would be to talk about my fears before I leave for college. This way I could come up with a solution before it became a huge problem. Thankfully, academics haven't been too much of a problem for me. There was nothing more I could have done to prepare myself for my classes and the work load.

The weather is really frustrating. Since we live in the Lehigh Valley, precipitation just naturally pours right in there. We have had weeks go by without seeing any sun. The dining hall hours are annoying as well. On the weekends, they close the dining hall at seven, just when most people are wanting to eat. There are other places to eat on campus, but almost everyone eats in the dining hall.

Alexandra

It's small and it has an incredibly welcoming community feel that all of the other schools I had visited lacked. It has excllent departments for my double major with professors who are highly regarded in their fields. It caters to my double major in theatre and psychology.

Most importantly, I would tell myself to go in with a completely open mind and not to expect anything about the college life. Every college experience is different based on the school, the people, and the individual. If you go in with set expectations it can make the transition into college very difficult and can skew your perceptions of what college really is and is about. Try to introduce yourself to different groups of people and establish a main group of friends and try to keep branching out over the duration of your time their, don't just stay within your core group. If there's a problem with your roommate, address it instead of letting it slide. The problems will escalate if you don't say anything, and you'll only regret not saying anything to begin with. Time management with classes, classwork, and extracurriculars is key. Classwork comes first but finding a balance is crucial. For those of us who thrive off of being busy, balance is everything, so possibly scheduling later as opposed to earlier classes is sometimes best.

A person who relatively enjoys or respects the arts and a person who likes smaller school. We're very accepting of everyone.

There are so many bits of advice I would love to go back and give myself as a high school senior, but one thing sticks out the most: I would tell myself to not worry so much about making mistakes. Back then I worried constantly about if I was making the "right" decisions, choosing the "right" school, and picking the "right" major. The fact that I had so many choices was almost paralyzing for me. What if I made the wrong choice? What if things didn't go as I had planned? Through transitioning to college, I certainly made a lot of mistakes and perhaps some wrong choices too. I changed majors, I lost some friends, and I wondered if I was at the "right" school. But the older I get, the more I see that there aren't always "right" and "wrong" choices. Many times we are presented with several good options and we just have to decide among them. To be honest, I'm still learning to not worry about making mistakes. But looking back, I can see that I would have been so much happier if I had just accepted the uncertaintis of life and smiled!

The theatre department is ranked 4th in the nation. The campus is beautiful. But the best part is that the teachers and faculty are extremely accessible. I never had an issue contacting a professor or any department. The school really makes an effort to help you if you come to them with a problem.

The same people tend to get cast into school productions.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.