Muhlenberg College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Muhlenberg College

Jordan

If there is one thing I should say about Muhlenberg, it is NOT the "perfect" school. Especially as a both a student of color and an LGBT student, there are a lot of things I wish I could change about the school. HOWEVER, I absolutely LOVE it here. Muhlenberg is probably one of THE BEST, if not the best, schools for people who want to gain development as both an artist and an intellectual. There are soooo many amazing classes you can take from all departments; Muhlenberg really caters to those who want to be the jacks of all trades. Here, you can be a business major and still develop yourself as an actor or dancer and gain the training you need to enter both the performance and business world.

Austin

It's a great school. There is no town nearby so most of the activities revolve around the campus. If you need necessities and have a car (which is easy to keep off campus) you can easily get to a drug store or local Target. I am very happy here and really like all the people I have met. The professors are excellent and always willing to help.

Jamee

It took me a little while to warm-up to Muhlenberg, but my experience has been overall positive. If you're looking for small liberal arts, this is it. Professors go the extra mile to help you out (whether in class or looking for internships/jobs/research) if you ask and class sizes are excellent. I've never had a class over 30 people (however, if you plan to take intro biology or chem you'll experience the largest classes at berg which are around 100. Still not bad). Social life is probably the hardest thing to latch on to here if you don't find your place fairly soon, but there are so many clubs and fun events to find friends at. And the food is A+.

Mia

The community at Muhlenberg has cultivated a friendly environment where both staff and students are welcome and appreciated. The dining hall and other food options are excellent and the staff is always open to student input. While the housing options could be better, the school is going through a development process that will strive to upgrade current housing options and provide new ones as well. If you are looking for a school with a small campus, a tight-knit community, access to a city, and small class sizes, then Muhlenberg is the school for you!

Christina

Literally amazing. I have attended a few other schools for differing reasons, but nothing even comes close to here. Theatre is amazing and there is always some on campus activity happening. I would absolutely recommend Muhlenberg to anyone looking

Choosing to attend Muhlenberg College has been one of the best decisions of my life. Although it is a small liberal arts school, it is full of life and inclusivity. Whether it's asking for directions or holding the door open, the students are always incredibly friendly and helpful. The professors value your time and really enjoy what they teach. The buildings are beautiful and contain state of the art equipment for lab work, artwork, theater, and dance, as well as computer labs and the library that has three floors. There are both a huge theater community, as well as a huge science community. Muhlenbeg ensures that all of its students graduate as well-rounded individuals not only when it comes to their education, but also their humanity. The food is always outstanding. I miss it very much. The housing is really great, especially for upperclassmen. There is a shuttle on the weekends to take students to the mall, the movie theater, or strip centers with many restaurants. The sports scene is big enough that if it is important to you, there is always a game to attend, but if it isn't something that interests you, you won't feel left out if you do not attend. Greek life is big in that there are always events and there are plenty of organizations to join, but you will not miss out on any experiences if it isn't your thing. There are always events on the weekends for students who do not want to attend parties or stay in their room for the night, such as "Stuff-A-Plush," hypnotists, poetry slams, karaoke, music performances, and movie screenings. Muhlenberg College will forever be my home away from home. It is truly an incredible place to learn and make lifelong friends.

Love it here! Best decision I made yet in my short life. Far enough away from home yet close to go home on weekends if necessary. Great small private school, beautiful campus. My FYS class was so much better than I anticipated. The food is fabulous-the freshman 15 is REAL!

Kendra

Muhlenberg is a largely liberal environment in every sense of the word. While more than half of the student body is dedicated to creating fantastic and creative works of art (whether that be in the form of theatre performances, art exhibits, or dance productions), we also politically reflect that "echo-chamber"stereotype that comes from an almost entirely politically liberal school.

Allison

Muhlenberg is a college for students who wish to get involved! There are hundreds (literally hundreds) of student-run organizations, from a 400+ student theatre organization, to niche organizations of 10-15 students. Many students are also double-majors, studying two (or more!) subjects, leading to a versatile student population and fluid academic and social groups.

claritxa

This is the second College I attend here in Pennsylvania and it is by far the most convenient, educational, and attentive to details. I love how outgoing the staff, advisors and facilitators are. How fast you can get service, questions answered and how reliable they all are to get you to your personal goal. I appreciate how they manage to provide adult students the opportunity to attend college by providing us an accelerated course study in only two years and how there are thousands of classes and courses you can select that goes along with your personal lifestyle. The time and operation of the classes favor everyone's busy or not schedules and most of the professors I have met are so passionate about what they do that it makes it that much more exciting and easier to participate. As you can see I am on the verge to complete my career choice here as a business administrator and earn by bachelor's degree, but I would love with the help of this scholarship to end up earning masters and maybe even a Doctor's degree and be the first Doctor in the family and make a better future for my kids as a hard working single mother of two. Thank you for this opportunity!

Ana

I regard Muhlenberg College very highly. I think the strengths of the institution far out way any weaknesses. It has one of the top 10 Theater programs in the country while maintaining its status as a rigorous liberal arts college with great athletics and one of the best football teams in its respective division. I chose my college because I wanted a place that I would be able to grow and develop my skills as a performer, but not limit myself to an education that was isolated in theater and detached from the rest of the world. I didn't want to be at a place that isolated the arts from the rest of the world; I wanted to pursue what I loved and also be surrounded by people who were different from me. The fact that Muhlenberg is a liberal arts college with all types of majors and programs as well as an incredible theater program allows me to pursue an education that challenges my thinking and expands my knowledge while simultaneously getting exceptional theater training. The fact that the theater program was not audition based made the playing field feel level for all students, so the opportunities I have earned while being their feel like they come completely from me. With so many student lead creative initiatives, like a cappella groups, theater collectives, comedy groups and more, The artistic opportunities at this school have allowed me not only play the role of an actor, but play the role of the creator. By auditioning for shows, as a freshman, I have earned roles in the highest level productions put on my the college, which has affirmed my passions in theater and my love and fit for the institution. The culture of Muhlenberg is holds a strong community emphasis, and because the school is only around 2400 students, the relationship that the students have with the school is intimate and endearing. My favorite thing about Muhlenberg is the community engagement and support of both the arts and athletics, at basketball games, you see theater majors in the stands cheering for their friends. Fraternity brothers and athletes that know nothing about Theater will come to the productions to support their friends. The food is also FANTASTIC; it is in the top 20 for the state of Pennsylvania and top 50 in the nation. We also have a large Jewish presence on campus, which the dining services are extremely accommodating for, a large portion of the dining hall is devoted to 100% kosher foods, the school also has a Jewish center and is across the street from a synagogue. The school started as Lutheran so we have a chapel on campus as well for christian students.

Emma

I truly hated my time at Muhlenberg College. For one thing, Allentown is a terrible college town. One side of the campus is surrounded by suburbs and the other half is surrounded by a graveyard and then a low-income urban-esque setting. There is maybe one or two clubs you can take a shuttle to but other than that the most fun thing to do is hit up the nearby wegmans. The campus itself is incredibly small too, and there is only one building for the students to hang out in, so you can never get away from anyone. Parties are never that fun and to go to a good one you really have to know people. Academics are good and teachers are nice but it's not super challenging. The cafeteria is also really bad with food allergies and to get food you can eat you have to go through an incredibly long process. Additionally, disabilities and the mental health services are CRAZY overworked and understaffed. I had a lot of problems and was never given the help I needed. You'll love it if you're looking for a super super small arts school, with a very lowkey party scene and a cliquey, not very diverse student body. I'm absolutely transferring.

Danielle

I loved attending Muhlenberg College because of the small class size (you won't find a course with over 40 students) and the availability of the professors. Muhlenberg has a challenging curriculum and encourages students to take many classes outside their major which ends up being really important in developing many skills. Most of the professors are overly supportive and they really do want you to succeed. I have had professors that believed in me even when I did not believe in myself. The one problem I have with the school is that many people are stuck inside what students have called the "Muhlen-bubble," meaning, with the nice campus and privileges we have there, it is easy to become oblivious to the hardships that lie outside the campus. Most students do not go off campus so they do not see these hardships. For this reason, many clubs and organizations are focused on getting students out into the city of Allentown for community service.

Jaxson

I loved the school the second I walked onto campus. The campus is super pretty with lots of trees and open green grass. The second thing that stood out to me was how inviting all of the students are. Everyone says hi to each other and are so warm and friendly. The third thing that caught my eye was how amazing the theater program was at Muhlenberg. I knew that I would be in amazing hands when I go there this coming fall. Also, FOOD IS AMAZING!

Diya

I love Muhlenberg, but I wish there was more diversity. I am Indian, and there are not a lot of us on campus. The academics are great, and I like all of my professors and they grade fairly. My favorite part about Muhlenberg is that all of the academic buildings are on one row on campus, so they are easily accessible. Also, the food is amazing! The staff are sweet and always greet students with a smile.

Erica

If you get a hefty scholarship to attend Muhlenberg, you'll find it a little easier to enjoy. Tuition has been raised quite a bit and making it less easy to enjoy my experience there knowing I have to take out more loans to finance it. I've met some amazing people at Muhlenberg who have pushed me to think outside of the box. Getting to major in two different disciplines that are very different is one of the best parts of this college. I've had a great experience here, but am not sure that, had I had the chance to go back to my senior year of high school, I would've made the same decisions.

Victoria

It's a small liberal arts college with a very nice class size and student/faculty ratio which I really appreciate. I would say that everyone tends to be really kind and although I love a lot of my professors, some of them are better people than they are educators. Overall, I do like it here. I would say that there really isn't much to do around the Allentown area unless you're willing to take an Uber/Lyft or have a car. However, Muhlenberg has a partnership with the Lanta Bus system where all you have to do is swipe your ID on the bus and it's free to ride which helps with getting around.