Multnomah University Top Questions

It won't be easy, and by no means will it be the fairytale everyone has sold you on. I know you think you have it all figured out and no one can tell you otherwise, but trust me life still happens when you're in college. Yes, you are okay without your parents guiding your every decision. But what you really need to know about becoming a college student is that you will be on your own, not just for the day to day, but for big things as well. You have to decide to fight for time to study, and whether or not to take that loan. If you manage your time and tell people no when needed it will be okay. Also, bring some dishes! there is nothing worse than buying a bunch of hot choco and realizing you don't have a mug to drink it out of or a spoon to stir it with. Lastly making friends will be the key to success the first couple of years. They have been where you are and will let you know it's okay to call mom every now and then when you need it.

Erikka

Don't pack that polka-dot skirt, no matter how often you think you'll wear it. It doesn't sit right and frankly isn't worth the space. Take as many AP classes as humanly possible. I know they're boring, and early release sounds like a far more productive use of time, but a semester of Geology and Western Civilization will have you begging for a second shot at balanced grading. Most importantly though; stop talking. I remember in High School you were known to captivate audiences with your "Military Brat" stories and family background, but this is the big leagues. Third day of Psychology you're going to spout about your "travel experience as a military child", and you will consequently look like an imbecile whilst your "audience" relates their childhood in Africa as a Missionary's daughter. People have been places you can't imagine, seen things you wouldn't believe, endured hardships that crush lesser men. You can learn so much from even the most unexpected individuals, if you just take time to listen. College isn't all about the books kid, keep your eyes open for the teachers sitting next to you in class.

I would tell myself to stick with what I want to do. It is important not to change my dreams for a person (unless you are changing for God). I have no regrets about attending the college that I am going to. Also, I would tell myself to work toward getting money for school and saving. Saving is a good thing and helps you to have fun and buy things you need. Finally, I would tell myself to enjoy every minute before, during, and after college.

I would let myself know that high school is not a waste of time. There are so many opportunities in the world and I have a chance just as much as anyone else does. I need to believe in myself and work hard because it will pay off in the long run.

I would begin my giving my inexperienced self the knowledge relating to credit and FICA scores. If I would have had the credit knowledge that I have now, back then, It would have prevented me from accumulating and paying off debt unecessarily and irresponsibly. I often wish that they would have offered a "mandatory" credit counseling and information course at my high school during my senior year. I know there are many students who graduate high school without the information they need to successfully build and maintain their credit. I would have also paid more attention to detail; not just in school, but in my every day life. It seems when we are younger, we are more "in the moment", and tend to forget, or not pay attention to the things around us that we can learn from. It isn't until we take a glance back at our past and wish we could strategize differently.

Dennis

Instead of rushing in and going straight into college, take a couple years off and work on serving other people and experimenting, with the support of commuinty, with direction, jobs, internships, and travel. Those years will allow you to grow into greater maturity and give you an appreciation for what you will be learning, as well as an appreciation of different types of people. That time will also allow you to develop your own personal ethos for doing what you do, and it will help guide you in your studies so you know why you are in school and what is important to you. Don't rush just because that is what everyone else is doing. It will also give you time to save money so you don't have to take loans and burry yourself finanically. One other thing pursue wisdom, slow down and think through your desicions and whatever you do, relax, it's okay to take risks and make mistakes.

sonia

I would tell myself that the first thing you need to know about college is that you cannot procrastinate. Also, that off-campus living is much cheaper than living on-campus. Be smart abot yor money, just because it seems like you have a lot does not mean that it will last long. And, just because they do not take attendance in college classes does not mean you should feel the need to not attend, you should always go to class. Study, study, study!

The time that I have spent at Multnomah University has already taught me a lot about myself. In the past semester, I have changed my major five times, decided to drop out, changed my mind, and am currently in my second semester. I came to college because my friends did, and I never knew what I wanted to do with my life. The classes that I have taken, and the conversations I've had with my professors, have helped me understand myself better. I've realized that I have a natural gift of leadership, and that I want to be a teacher. I really enjoy history, and I want to go to college to become a high school history teacher. I have applied to Central Washington University, and I hope to attend there in the fall. While I didn't find a career out of my first year of college, I did find myself. I know what I want to become, I know who I want to influence, and I know that I will become a teacher. My education is everything to me, and I will not take it for granted.

Gian

I would need well over a thousand words to fully elaborate on my college experience and its value in my life thus far, but unfortunately I'm only allowed two hundred words for this question. I'd say that the biggest thing I've gotten out of my college experience is a stronger relationship with the Lord. (Yes, I'm a Christian) I've gone through trials and tribulations throughout my college life, and though the expierences have been painfull emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually, they've only strengthened me and my relationship with the Lord. Through the various impendimenta that I've encountered, ordeals such as basketball and athletic woes, and coaches and players challenging and maliciously attacking my beliefs, or teammates or friends attempting to harrass my decisions to do and not do certain things, and choosing between this and that, i've come to understand that nothing comes easy, and though it may sound cliche, anything worth having is really worth fighting for, but in the end, you find that the struggle throughout the journey was worth the end.

I am a re-turning student to college after being out of school for 6 years. I have learned that getting a higher education is very important to growing as a person and growing in my career. No one can take your education away from you and that's why it is so special to me. I want to make a difference in people's lives and hopefully make a difference in this world by creating beautiful artwork via advertisement as a Graphic Designer.

i have gotten close life time friends while attending school at multnomah. also in the fall of 2009 my father was killed in a hit and run car accident. the school was and has been very supportive to me and my family.

While many people would say that the most important aspect of college education is purely the academics and making the grade, my undergraduate experiences have taught me that there is far more involved in the learning process. Hence, if I were to go back to my senior year of high school knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to be more open to new ideas and to different people. In doing so, I would allow myself to better understand what really drives the world: human beings. One cannot aspire to be a good nurse if he or she cannot show compassion for the suffering. One cannot be a good policeman if he or she cannot fathom life on the streets of urban America. Hence, there is more to learning than simply making the grade and getting a term paper submitted on time, and learning means little if it does not allow an individual to impact another person's life in a positive manner. After all, it is the interpersonal connections and relationships that a person forms with other individuals that ultimately makes life worth living, and no perfect grade could ever match the reward of helping another person.

jay

I would advise myself to research how much tuition costs at the time and research possible pay upon graduation through college and to enroll in a college program that offers a 50,000-100,000 job and to keep optimistic about the future and know that every step i take is a step towards a brighter future and to let myself know that once i finish whichever program i choose that i will make the money to make up for all the studying and money management over the years that i was in school

I would tell myself to not stress out so much about picking a major and not to worry about sticking to a major that I choose. As a high school senior, I'm young and have a lot of time to figure out what I really want to do and what I'm passionate about. I would encourage myself to explore different areas of life while I can; while I'm still young and I'm not tied down by the pressures of life. There are so many different options with schools and careers, but I would also encourage myself to follow my heart and my passions. I would like me to know that going into college, I shouldn't settle for a career, I should go into a field of study that I'm actually going to enjoy. My decision shouldn't be based off of money or how easy a certain path would be, it should be based off of what I'm going to love doing. Everything else is going to take a backseat to that, and I'm never going to be happy in my career if I'm not doing what I love.

First off everything is new and exciting and it is easy to focus on everything going on outside of the classroom. I would advice myself to put more effort into my classes during my first year. Also I would suggest looking at my academic plan because I took classes that were not needed for my major and I wish I hadn't paid for those classes. The biggest thing I would suggest is to have more humilty from the beginning. I thought I knew everything and I didn't like many people who were so different from me. There are a lot of people from different parts of the country who have differnt political views than me and that was hard. Looking back I would say to be more open to those different than myself. I have since learned that, but I encourage new freshmen to have an open mind and to seek knowledge in a humble manner.

The advice I would give myself as a high school Senior would first of all be to Study really hard! I did not care about school that much in highschool. Grades are not everything, but I wish I would have cared more about them. Yes, I have struggled having an easy time in school, but I still could have done better. I would tell myself that I need to run the race to win it! I would also tell myself to be more involved in the student body at school and connect more with my fellow students and my community. I should study more for the SAT and apply to more scholarships. If I had studied harder on my grades and SAT's I could've gotten scholarships more likely. I would tell myself to start saving money more wisely and spend less on clothes and pointless items! If I had of had better grades I could have applied to more colleges and applied earlier, I should have done that.Lastly I should've taken more classes and tried more in Running Start;, especially since it was free! I did not realize the value of money until now.

I would tell myself that college is not that much different that high school, but, the school work itself is harder and takes more time to accomplish. I would tell myself to make sure to take time to relaxe and hang out with friends. I would also tell myself that finding life long friends is something that happens in college and it is important to take the time to be relational with both new friends and old friends. Next I would tell myself that the teachers in college are just as friendly as those in high school and they are just as caring and eager to see you succeed. Finally I would tell myself that life does not get any less busy, in fact, it just gets bussier. On top of school and social life and volunteering you have to add a job so that you can pay for school.

The two big pieces of advice I would give myself would be to put effort into making friends and to put sleep as a top priority. I have always been a perfectionist and getting anything less than an A was not acceptable. Getting high grades was not an issue for me; the things I sacrificed to get them are what I wish I could change now. I would stay up late to finish homework, and then have to wake up early to go to class. This developed into narcoleptic behavior which was not only unhealthy, but dangerous! And, also due to my constant studying, I failed to bond with many people during my freshman year. This hampered my social life in the years to come. I wish I could have told myself that getting less than perfect grades wasn't a big deal and that my health and relationships were more important.

I would tell myself to learn ahead of time not to procrastinate. Procrastination is a bad habit of mine and I need to learn to schedule things on time and do them when they're supposed to be done instead of waiting till the last minute. I would also tell myself to learn how to figure out what each individual professor is looking for and do what they want, not just what you assume they want. .

Do not get stressed out over the little things. Getting an "A" is important in that grades make a difference in your scholarship opportunities, but beating yourself up over not getting an "A" is not necessary. The goal needs to be to do your best, and that will at times not look like an "A" grade. Rather than seeing the expectations set by others for yourself as the bar to have to live up to, set your own expectations. Be flattered at the high expectations others have for you but don't kill yourself trying to meet them. Being successful is key to living a stable, financed life but that doesn't come just from getting a 4.0 and being the valedictorian. Try your best, but be more relaxed and be content with knowing that success comes in more ways than just good grades. If it has to be, the "B's" will get you the college degree and that's what the employers want to see. Also, don't be involved in everything just because you can be. Make relaxing and fun time with friends a priority, not just another extra thing to do.

Ranelle

Remember to keep your focus on school and where you are going. Do not allow school to get in the way of your spiritual walk with God, He is the most important person in your life, He is the reason you are here so worship him faithfully. Make sure to speak up for yourself so that you can be helped when needed, don't let your pride get in the way of your future. Keep going, keep being who you are, be yourself and don't try to be another person because who you are is the person God wants you to be. Laugh loud, live strong, love long, pray hard.

I would tell myself that it was not going to be easy and that I should start preparing know so that I was ready to jump in to college life and not be worried about certian things. I would tell myself to look at the things that are hard and the to get help getting over them and work on ways to get over them so that I would be ready to moving in without moving back out twice. I would say that classes are not going to be as easy as high school and that I should start learning good study habits now. Finally I would say that grades do count for somethings in life but for the most part they are just going to burn in the end so yes try your best but if you do not get an A or a B it will not be the end of the world. Also that the grade may not show how much you really learned in the class which is the most important thing.

Finding the right college and being able to extract the best experience from that university is a very difficult task to do. First I would advise students to know thy self, and to parents know thy son or daughter. Students need to know who they are, in order to find a college fit for them. If a person was a buddhist going to a southern baptist college would not be fun (major understatment). Thus it is very important to know ones identity before they make a college choice. Second nugget of advise I suggest. Stop and smell the roses. College is so much more than book work and essays. The longest lasting memories and the life changing experiences happen outside the classroom. Being able to stop gazing at the text book and take an adventure with some close friends is of dire importanace. That is one way to make most of the college journey

The most important thing you can do is once you enter in a school, relax, and work hard. College is so much different than high school. College requires you to manage your time well, if not, you could get behind. When choosing a college pick one that you feel comfortable at, why would you go to a college that your not comfortable at? So make sure you feel comfortable and can picture yourself going there before you go.

Find a college that has your values and visit the college before you finally decided. Then once you are there make the most of it. Enjoy life and enjoy your classes. The friends that you make at college are going to last a life time, so make the most of your time at the college. Love life and your friends this will make college so much better. Secondly enjoy classes, our brain is young and has the ability to learn and absorbe the knowledge that our teachers are providing. This knowlede though it might not seem that way will be so help full through out all of life. So love life and love your classes.

Finding the right college is defnitely a personal preference.; there is a college match for each individual. Visiting the campus and even classes in your field of interest is strongly recommended. I found it very helpful and educational to have a meeting with the dean in charge of my field of study. Getting their recommendations and hearing the story of their educational and career opportunities can be very enlightening. Being able to ask them questions about the field and the types of careers opportunities this field can open was very helpful. If possible, spend some time in the dorms; each dorm has a different atmosphere and some even have a different sets of expectations. Finding the dorm that best fits your desires and standards is highly recommended for successful dorm transition. Visiting and eating in the cafeteria is a helpful idea. Adjusting to dorm life and the change in meals can been a real problem for some fellow students. Overall, if you plan together and fully examine your educational choices, there will be the right college for a student.

A student needs to know what they want in a college. Even if they must explore many different schools to figure this out, knowing what you want is essensial. If a student is able to find a place that meets their desired critera, the happiness of their college life is far more likely.

Ray

Finding the best school for an individual can be accomplished in three steps. First, gather a list of all your favorite schools and apply to your top choices. Second, after you see which schools you've been accepted to, pick out your top 5 schools and visit them. During your visit be sure to gather as much information as you can about things like: the cost of tuition, how much financial aid is available, what graduates go on to do after they finish their degree, what sudent life is like, etc. Finally, after you've done all of this, go home, look over all of the data, decide what things are most important for you in a school and see which one fits best. That's probably the best school for you. How do you make the most of your experience? The best approach in my opinion is to try and find a balance that includes plenty of studying mixed with plenty of fun and recreation. Too little or too much of either comoponent will diminish your experience in one way or another. This might take time to figure out initially, but it can be done.

One of the most important factors in looking at colleges for your child is their personal passions and beliefs. College is preperation for an individual's life, and should ultimately be their choice. Potentional students should never be worried if they don't have a specific career idea in mind. Part of college is learning what interests you. Eventually you will discover what you are passionate about. Be open-minded about where you attend college. While it's hard to be separated from your family, going off to college is a huge growing experience. If you live in Washington and want to go to college in New York, do it! One last thing: do everything you can to be smart financially. Loans are expected for many students. But try to work during the summer as much as possible, and save! Set a budget and don't spend money needlessly. College is a time you'll always remember. It's important to enjoy your experience, both the social and especially the learning experience.

To parents: please remember that college is for your kids. Ultimately, the decision is theirs, and what they need is for you to let them make their choice. If it's not the best choice or the choice you would have made, that's okay. They'll have to live with the consequences. Still participate in the college search with them. You have eyes and experiences and wisdom that they don't. Even if they don't listen, it's nice to know parents are invested in their child having a great college experience. To students: your college experience is ultimately up to you. There are a lot of great schools. (There are a lot of bad schools too, but you can generally weed those out.) You'll find awesome professors, students, and programs at all of them. You'll probably feel like a few of them could be home for the next four years, and, while they'll never be home in the same way, they will become a new home of sorts. Remember that there's not one perfect school for you, simply different schools that are great in different ways and that come with different experiences.

Try a campus visit, talk with the school and it's profs. find out what their philosophy is and if it match with what you're looking for

Figure out what your biggest priorities are. Are you looking for a specific major or an academic-centric university? Do you care about environmental or political issues more than academics? Those are the kinds of questions that are important. Then, you want to decide whether location is important. I fell in love with how green and beautiful my campus was as well as how conveniently located it was to public transportation. Tour the college and sit in on some classes. I visited some campuses while they were on Spring break, and it didn't give me as good of an idea of what campus life was really like. If you're able, visit during a reagular school week and sit in on some classes required for your major. That way, you get an idea of what professors will be like since you're likely to see a lot of them.