Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Gerald

Challenging students to master their respective fields to ultimately achieve full time employment

I would tell myself to focus on networking in college as intensely as I focus on my mastery of the material. Most people find great job opportunities through people they know personally. Therefore, it is critical to your success to build a powerful network of people whom you trust and that trust you. These relationships could mean the difference between being an unemployed college graduate or one with a fulfilling and rewarding career. So high school self, focus on grades of course, however, do not spend so much time studying that your relationships suffer. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to spend more time interviewing for jobs just to practice. Even if you have no intention of taking a job, interview regularly to become comfortable with your responses and alleviate any anxiety related to lack of experience. Last but most importantly of all, be careful to carve out quality time for your family so you do not leave them feeling abandoned. Have fun, work hard, accept mistakes, correct mistakes, and love everyone!

A person who is willing to work hard for a degree.

Ashney

As much as college can seem exciting and awesome to attend, it can really help you to grow inside and out. You are no longer apart of your parents guidance, it's going to be all about you and the decisions you make. A lot of freedom is involved as well, so take time out and study and get involved on campus. Deciding you major is also a major part in enrolling in college. If you know exactly what you are interested in by all means go for the gold, and if not no worries you can go in undecided. Undecided does not mean anything bad coming in as a freshman to college, it actually gives you time to seek some academic advising and see what it is that you are interested in having as a career. Last but not least, get involved and meet as many people as you can. The college experience is a big part of life that may help you to lead to your future. Getting involved is a way of networking and a lot of variety of different things. Also use every service or help that the college provides, it will take you quite far.

There is really not much that frustrates me about this school. Only thing I can mention is sometimes how financial aid can be a long process and a little bit much to complete.

The best thing I love about this school, is how friendly the people and students can be. Their is no misjudgement done by anyone, and it just feels like my home away from home. I enjoy all campus activities, work inside the classrooms, and sport events. You could not come here and be unhappy by the way everyone acts friendly and kind to you.

Morgan

Classes haven't starte yet, so i haven't had the pleasure of meeting classmates.

My advice to myself would be to work on study skills. Throughout highschool, I maintained good grades and never really had to study to do it. Being in college now, I realize that has hurt me. I would have to advice myself to listen closely to my teachers, take precise notes and study them often! Studying and note taking is a big part of college and not knowing how to do it properly can really hurt you in the long run!

One who wants to be in a big city. Murray has a few big city qualities, yet still has that small home town feel.

Davis

Murray State University is a diverse and academically focused school that provides superb education to its' students while at the same time giving them an engaging and memorable college experience.

Since it's 2011 season, Murray has been best known for it's basketball playing skills. Though that prowess has dimished in years since, our basketball program is something known well state-wide and celebrated by its students.

Simply put, I would tell myself that there is always room for improvement. There's always room to learn something new and in that same thought, there's always ways to push yourself through things instead of skating by. What you can achieve today, you can relish in tomorrow. Realize that college isn't the same as AP classes and studying by yourself at the library, it takes dedication and drive.

Alexis

I would most definitely be more strict on my studies. I would study longer and harder for test. I'm from Kentucky and highschool residents get "KEES" money for each year they're in highschool based off of each years GPA. It erks me to know I could of gotten more money to put towards my college tuition if my GPA was better. Now I'm stressed even with my "KEES" money being applied on how to pay for school. In highschool people don't realize that afterwards, it's grown up time. No more being babied with "Well you can turn in your homework next week. Or oh you were gone all last week? Heres the notes you missed." I was lucky enough to be apart of a program where half of my associates was paid for and I took actual college classes. I learned quickly the difference in a college professor and a high school teacher. They don't care if you show up, or if you turn in your work, because in college it's your money and time, they're just getting paid. All in all, highschool is so important and should be taken extremely seriously.

Wendy

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not choose to go to a community college that is two hours away from me because it will mess my grades up. That was the biggest mistake I made and I ended up dropping out of college because of it. So i would tell myself to just pick another community college thats closer and do school non stop until I get my masters. I would tell myself that if i stop, later school is just going to get more competitive and expensive. I would tell myself to be strong and keep going for my dream, dont slack off and everything will pay off. If not you'll find yourself leaving, and when you come back its harder than before and a struggle to pay school off. I would encourage myself and push myself to do my best.

Allisin

I would tell myself not to worry about how hard it's probably going to be and to continue to believe in myself. Dreams will come true as long as you don't give up and just keep pushing forward. The struggle ahead won't be as hard as long as you hold faith in yourself. College is full of life, laughter, friendship, and love. As corny as that sounds, it's true. You should look forward to it because college will be one of the best experiences you'll have. You'll never regret it for one single moment. It gives you a drive in life as you feel you are constantly bettering yourself and never giving up. No matter how hard things will get, your success in college will sometimes be the only thing that gets you through it all. It will give you the strength and pride to achieve success in your career. College will prepare you for more than just your career, it will prepare you to become the best human being you could ever hope to be.

The thing I brag about most from Murray State is the feeling of belonging. I was very afraid that by living off-campus I would not feel a part of things going on here yet as soon as I walk to my classes each school day I swell with pride and laugh with whomever I'm lucky enough to meet that day. Everyone has their own story and everyone is excited to hear mine.

The best thing about Murray State University is their flexibility with working students. They allow me to take the classes I need full-time while still keeping a job to maintain my finances. They have been very helpful with my schedule and planning my time. I wouldn't have made it this far without their dedicated staff and friendly students. Everyone wants to help!

Katie

Friendly, fun, and the people there make you feel like your part of a big community.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are many things that I would tell myself. First of all, I would remind myself that college boyfriends come and go so keep your head in the books. You do not need anyone distracting you from your goal. Your education is by far the most important part of college. Really do all that you can to keep your GPA as high as you can because in the end it WILL matter; besides, it will make you feel great knowing you have a 4.0 ;) . Be as active as you possibly can. Do not be nervous about tryouts for the equistrian team. Just take a deep breath, relax and ride; you'll be first picked for that team if you do just that! Get out of your comfort zone and do things you normally wouldn't (hey you might just meet some extrodinary people that way!). Overall have your fun but keep your eye on the prize and in the end all your hard work will shine through. I look forward to seeing who you become in the future!

It is difficult to find a job on campus.

Deborah

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, hands down I would tell her to apply for every scholarship that was presented to her and to go get her degree. Do not take a year off from school, chances are, you will never go back! Study hard, but enjoy life and experience new places, people, and things. Don't settle....EVER. Work hard to be the best YOU that you can be and trust your instincts.

There aren't many socially interactive options for non-traditional students.

There isn't a "transitions" class for non-traditional students, we are forced to be taught as if we are 18 year old freshmen, when many of us have children that old.

NICOLE

This was the smallest school that I looked at; we currently have almost 11,000 students. Murray was also the smallest town that I considered. This helps in a way that the classes are smaller so you get a more personal experience and your teachers really get to know you and help you out. Murray State also has a really good basketball team and not a great football team. I am a football fan, not basketball so that was new!

Cherish the time while you have it, don't take it for granted! You have it so great in high school, there are very few responsibilities and you always have people around to help you. You also need to really focus on saving money because college tuition is not the only thing you need to worry abouut. When you get to college no one is there to do your laundry and buy you food, shampoo, gas and clothes. Start a savings account now for the future as well, you never know what's going to happen. Hang out with your family when you can, after your senior year you are on your own and you may live with them again for one summer but thats pretty much it. Love them and cherish them while you can because believe it or not, you're growing up! Remember to stay true to yourself, what you feel is right and wrong. Do what makes you happy, accept opinions but remember that yours is the only one that matters. HAVE FUN!

The community! Murray State is a smaller school located in a really small town. It is really easy to get to know people at school and in the local community. Our campus is beautiful and the classes are great. I really brag about how pretty it is and how many nice and fun people I have met and befriended. With the combintation of a pretty campus, good community and great schooling, why wouldn't I brag?

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.