Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Ashton

My classmates have been friendly, nice, and eager.

My classmates have been friendly, nice, and eager.

The advice I would give myself is to not go into college thinking you can get away with your study habits that you displayed in high school. I was an easy A student in high school, so college never worried me at all. My third semester, once I was starting to get into classes in my major, I made grades that I never saw myself making because I wasn't used to having to study hard. However, my semester after this I made my highest GPA of my college career. Basically I worked and studied harder than I ever had because of my results from the previous semester.

There are all kinds of people who attend Murray State University! Everyone who attends are very accepting of every kind of person. Murray is a nice, small hometown where the people are extremely friendly. Everyone is made welcome at Murray State!

Melissa

"Get more involved! stop hanging out with those so called "friends/boys," they are trouble. STUDY STUDY STUDY!!!!" is what I would tell the Melissa I knew myself as back in high school. I got involved with the wrong people and was headed down the wrong path. Now I'm 22, and have a baby. I want better for the both of us, but my slacking in high school has taken a toll on my life today! I should've stayed away from those "friends/boys," it couldve kept me on the right track. I was a leader in my high school's choir and JROTC. I loved them both and excelled, I just think I couldve done more. I loved playing volleyball, cheerleading, and soccer, but i was stuck working and taking care of my family because we were poor. I'm not saying this is an excuse for hanging with the wrong crowd, but I did it to realieve the stress I was getting from home. However, I'm smarter now, I have responsibilities; I need to do the best for my daughter and I. I'm not going to settle for anything less!

I would explain to my high school self that you should not be afraid to be yourself and branch out. In college there are so many different types of people and you will find a group to fit into. I worried about finding friends but I fell into place with my best friends I did not pick them out. Don't worry about the status of group of friends but make sure beliefs and interests match up because that is what will make you happy. I would also explain that you should have pride in your school because you will always have you college memories and college makes your future so work hard at it. High school students also need to know the importance of organization. In college there are not as many handout and you must work hard at it. College is just for you it isn't for anyone else so it's up to you on how far you want to go and what path you want to go on after college.

I wish I would have realized how much school work I would be given and the time it would take. I knew college wasn't all fun and games but at the beginning of the year I wish I would have known to plan my time wiser. Plannnig your time is very important and making a schedule in your agenda will keep you organized and help your grades in the long run. I didn't use my agenda at the begginning of the year and I caught myself cramming the night before assignments were do which was very stressful.

I love Murray State it is all I hoped it would be but the one thing I dislike and consider to be the worst thing is the housing situations. They have two brand new dorms and one reinovated dorm which are very nice. All the other dorms are very old and need alot of work. Since there are only 3 very nice dorms it is very difficult to get into them. The two new ones are also very pricey. I wish Murray State would do little things to the older dorms to spruce them up and make them more enjoyable.

Melissa

Most of the classmates are extremly friendly however most people here are very close minded and not open to other cultures.

I think they are known for their friendly atmosphere and their agriculture and nursing programs.

I would tell myself that everything is going to be okay and not to stress. I would say to never stay with any major that you don't like. You live one life and you should do something you love. Also I would tell myself that sometimes you will make a mistake but that is the beauty of college, you learn. Learn everything that you can! Take classes that you wouldn't think you would like because it might just surprise you. Don't take everything so serious. It won't be the end of the world if you fail a test. Remember that! Enjoy college and stay in as long as you can. Never stop learning.

Brandi

Friendly,helpful, caringing peers and staff.

Friendly,helpful, caringing peers and staff.

Start studying for the ACT/SAT from 9th grade. Take the ACT/SAT as many times as possible. Getting a good score on the ACT/SAT is the main decision if you get scholarships. Don’t do so many sports in high school pick one and still have a life, the real world comes quick. Do not work during high school, you have your hole life to work. Volunteer more and do things that make you happy. Start working directly out of college for a company with tuition reimbursement. Student loan repayments will absolutely kill you so just marry Andrew Day right of high school and move to Murray Kentucky. The only way to get help from the government for school is get married or have a kid. Marriage is the best option for you. Plan out your four years of college with classes that you need to take on advising appointment number one. Don’t plan semester by semester, you will be in college forever.

If you do not like the out doors do not come.

Colleen

Life is not something to be accomplished, achieved and attained but a gift and an experience to be lived out fully, valuing every day for the unique opportunities it presents to mature and think of someone other than yourself. Although your own little world for the next four years will be largely college, and your own little world for the past four years has been largely high school, remember that there is a big world outside of school. Put your effort into learning to be a truly good friend rather than finding good friends, and good friends will find you. There is always going to be somebody better than you at everything – if not today, then tomorrow; if not in this class, then in that class – so don't worry about what anyone else is doing; just focus on what you love to do. Be determined to do your best regardless of criticism received or praise withheld. When you're all caught up in the hustle and bustle of college life and the continuous challenge to balance your studies, your friends and maintain your sanity, remember that college is not the be-all end-all. Breathe. Life goes on.

Alexandria

If I could go back and talk to myself while I was a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to stay focused on my academics. I know that I am expecting a baby, but I have options. The community college offers a program through Murray State University for a Bachelors degree in Elementary Education. Go talk to the guidance counselor. You need to see what scholarships, grants, and financial aid is available. Call the community college for a tour of the campus. The advisors are caring, and they will help you with all your questions. It might seem impossible right now to obtain a degree while being a wife and mother, but it will happen. The advisors and professors want you to succeed, and they will give you the resources to achieve your goals. I understand that you are not confident in your academic abilities, but you will have a remarkable study group in your program that will allow you to excel. You need to start buying binders, folders, and organization tools, because you will need them. There is a long road ahead, but you will do great.

The academic advisors are very supportive and caring. They answer emails and messages in a timely manner. The advisors are professional, but personal too. The campus that I attend is an extension of the main University. The students in the education program are relatively close and helpful to each other. This campus allows me to pursue my Bachelors degree, while living at home. The professors provide challenging work that allows me to grow in my field of study. I am confident in my teaching abilities, because of the services that this campus provides.

I wish I would have realized my academic potential in high school. I was nominated for Who's Who during the 2011-2012 year, and have consecutively been on the Dean's list. I am a student ambassador, and I am focused on my academic studies. During high school, I did not perform to the best of my abilities. I should have had more ambition. Education is the key to success, and I wish I would have realized it then. I am a proud mother of two beautiful girls, and I want to express to them the importance of education.

It would be the fact that scheduling can be fairly difficult. You may be scheduling for the wrong classes but you will not find out about it until after you completed the course and paid for it in full. In other words, Murray has a reputation for poor advising in most cases, but most certainly not all.

I love the community that my university provides. Because it is a smaller school and is located in a small, southern town, after a few months there, it feels like everyone knows everyone and everyone seems to get a long. It's nice to be able to say to at least six or seven people before arriving to your first class.

I would just say to be sure to not work TOO hard. It's okay to relax and get out of your room sometimes. Studying is key, don't get me wrong, but college is also about the EXPERIENCE. Go to a few more basketball games or open mics. Don't be afraid to roll down a hill with some friends. Stay out late every once in a while. It's okay to just relax, breath, and have fun. But remember: don't get carried away. Your grades are very important in obtaining a future career, so be sure to study when needed, just enough to ensure you're going to get that A. But above all, have fun. Life is short. Live it.

Kristopher

I would tell myself to take scholarships more seriously and to apply for hundreds of them if not thousands of them because money is tight in college. I also would tell myself to get involved a little more in clubs and to finish out my senior year stronger than what I did.

I wish coming in that somebody had told me how much of a family everyone was at Murray State University. Literally everybody there looks out for each other. I saw this first hand with people helping me get through the issues my family had with my dad and his cancer.

The most frustrating thing that I would let prospective students coming to Murray State University know is that some of the dorms are a little beat up and worn down and that it also is very hard sometimes to get things in your dorm room fixed in a timely manner.

Rebecca

When I was in high school, I had very low self-esteem. I was an excellent student, and was able to get scholarships to four different colleges. However, because of my low self-esteem, I did not believe I could succeed at those schools. I chose instead to stay in the "safety" of my parent’s house, and to go to the local college. Looking back, I regret not going to one of those other colleges. I missed out on many experiences that can only be had during the college years. Now as I watch my own daughter getting ready to go out of state for college, I am realizing more and more what I missed out on. So I would say to my high school self, "take chances!" Don't be afraid to leave home and live on campus. Try everything! Don't be shy about getting invloved in your college campus. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn who you are, and to discover what you are passionate about. You cna only do that by getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things! And above all, "Have Fun!!"

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.