Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Brian

My classmates are mostly frat boys that only socialize with their own brothers.

My classmates are mostly frat boys that only socialize with their own brothers.

I know you haven't quite come out of your shell yet. And trust me, you will. Just remember that staying at home isn't gonna get you anywhere. You are going to have many opportunities in school. Opportunities that will lead to both positive and negative consequences. Just remember one important thing: It is not what we do that we regret, it's what we didn't do. Get out there and do more than just play soccer! Join a club, learn to smile. I know people can be pretty stupid, but that isn't gonna change, and pouting about it won't help you at all. Regardless of what you're thinking right now, you will meet a lot of people and make many friends. Don't take them for granted. One day everyone will leave and unless you actively try to stay in their lives, they'll disappear. Life is about looking back every few years and realizing how stupid you were. Take my advise, trust me. And when you meet that beautiful brunette with the big green eyes, don't hesitate. Grow a pair and kiss her the second she's single. She wants you to.

Sara

I love the fact that it is a smaller school, and that the atmosphere is so welcoming. The staff there genuinely care about the students and how they are doing. The town that it is located in is welcoming as well, and has even earned the friendliest small town in America title given by USA Today Travel. The overall feel of the school is that of a friendly atmosphere where they will make sure that you will be taken care of and have fun, and will be given an excellant education while you are at it.

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice during my senior year of high school, one of the things that I would definitely tell myself would be to push myself harder. Go ahead and take that extra AP class. Get involved in more clubs. Do something that is out of your comfort zone. Work a little harder looking for scholarships. But at the same time, I would tell myself to not stress so much about life. Instead of worrying about every little issue, just relax. You will be okay. The college years will be some of the most educational, yet entertaining years of one's life, so don't waste time worrying about the little stuff. Keep everything in perspective. Do the work, but set aside time for yourself as well. Oh, and one last thing. Don't spend so much money.

The kind of person that should attend Murray State University is one that genuinely cares about the quality of their education and will do their best in their studies. Since it is located in a small town and there are not as many attractions as a larger city, one should be willing to stay on campus and get involved, whether it be through sports or honor societies or recreational clubs.

Alexis

Familiar. They are not people I grew up with, but they are so similar in speech and mannerisms it's hard to think that I didn't go to highschool with them. It's easy to make friends because everyone is so friendly and outgoing.

First, I would give myself a nice punch and then tell myself that being afraid is okay, but don't hold back just because I am scared that something might not turn out how I thought. I would make sure to highlihgt all the positive things that come out of my experience and say to jump into everything whether or not I think I'm qualified. After I give a nice heartfelt speech, I would tell myself everything about whats to come so I am fully prepared.

That I am not limited to a certain field. I can branch out and do so many things and take classes that have nothing to do with my major.

Mariah

The Business program, but also for being in America's friendliest town and being in the top colleges for twenty-one years running. That is the employees' opinion. Among students it is best known for its medium size and the low tuition for a such a good education.

To make sure to take the classes only offered during certain semesters in a timely manner, as not doing so could leave you with an extra year of school for only one or two classes remaining. And if transferring to a different university or college to keep the same in mind. Some of the credits won't transfer and while it might not add to the classload by much, it could extend the amount of time it takes to graduate. For example: you cannot take Beginning Japanese and Advanced Japanese in the same semester. Also, to remember that most shcolarship deadlines come at the beginning of the year, sometimes a full year before the award year. The last piece of advice would be to not stress about finances. If you can make it through college without taking out student loans, you will start off in a much better position; not completely up the wall about finding a job that can help you pay back the loans. Working through college and even taking a semester or two off to earn money sets you back only a year, while debt can set you back a lifetime.

That it requires incoming freshman and sophmores to stay at on-campus housing. While there are exemptions I believe that at the most, only freshman should be required.

Katheryn

My favorite tradition is all campus sing. It is a singing and dancing competition between the residential colleges, groups, sororities and fraternities. It is a great show to watch. The whole school groups in front of lovetee auditorium and we all have a great time together.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I have a study group that likes to meet in Harts coffee shop. Sometimes it gets a little louder than we would like but all in all the coffee shop is a great place to get work done. The lower area of the library is another great place to get work done. But I would suggest it for more personal work rather than group work.

Tell us about your professors.

All the professors in the Agriculture program really care whether their students do well or not. Some of the other teachers are less involved with there students well being. The professors in the music department also care about their students.

Don't procrastinate on filling out your FAFSA or loan applications. I did and I was having major financial issues at the beginning of the year.

I don't think the stereo type is that accurate. Yes, there are a lot of country people here but not everyone is.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Intermural sports on campus are very popular. This is when the residential colleges, fraternities and sororities play sports against each other for awards and college points. Many students get involved with the teams and there is always a big audience to support the players.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

No, it is good to keep in contact with home. I am generally to busy with classes and other clubs to call every day. I try to phone home once a week to keep my parents up on what is going on in my life.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing for me was getting use to being on my own. I went six hours from home so if i needed something it was all on me to get it done.

What do people really wear to class?

It ranges from casual to dressy. Generally people don't really dress up unless they have an interview during the day or somewhere important to be. Murray State t-shirts are generally the wardrobe of choice around campus.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

My first football game was a terrific day. The stands were packed with everyone showing there racer pride. I had never seen so much school spirit. When the band marched onto the field I felt like a super star and couldn't wait to preform.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose this school because of their Pre Vet program. It is a very hands on program that will prepare me for Vetrinary school. The program will easily transfer to the Illinois school I am planning on attending in three years. I also chose Murray because of it's size, being located in a small town was appealing to me becase I came from a small town.

I believe the stereotype at Murray State is that everyone is a Hick. There are many country people here but Murray State is a very diverse campus so the stereotype is not very accurate.

Ariel

I would tell my high school self that it is okay to not know exactly which direction to go. Slow down. Going to a community college first or taking a few years off before continuing an education isn't failing. Self-discovery is more important than most people make it out to be and that discovery happens whether you are in school or not. Most people change their "major." You will change your major! Read about and get referrals for great professors. Don't take everything so seriously. Networking is an important part of college. That's not a bad thing! Listen to your intuition. Listen to your heart! Listen to your heart! Listen to your heart! Study what you have a passion for pursuing. Surround yourself with positive people. Dreams come true!

ANNA

Get involved in campus activities early. Study harder than you need to because it will be worth it later. Make friends with people in your classes quickly you may need help when the teacher isn't available.

Murray State puts an extreme emphisis on creating a community feeling and keeping students involved.

Persons looking for a big city life. The city of Murray is a small town and they like it that way. Also if you're looking for a "party" school this is not the place for you. Its a dry campus in the middle of a dry county.

Andrea

Honestly, I have not noticed a specific stereotype here. There is such a variety of people that once you find people you like being around or have similar interests to you, its really easy to forget about the possibility of stereotypes.

Danielle

I love Murray State University! It is a wonderful school! The best thing would be how friendly everyone is and how nice the professors are. Our school size is just right I think, it isn't too big and it isn't too small. Our school is trying to grow larger though, so I hope it doesn't grow too much. Murray State overall has a very good reputation in our town and other surrounding communities.

The most popular student groups would have to be the fraternities and sororities. They tend to be very popular in our school. The dating scene at our school is very diverse. People party at our school often. Just because since we are such a small town, there isn't anything else to do besides party and hangout with friends. So most students whether they are in a fraternity or not are friends.

Our academics are great! I am in the psychology department, and everyone there knows me by name and are very personable. Other departments are much bigger though, such as the nursing program. So I don't know if the teachers are personable with them. In class, we always have discussions, the teachers make the classroom very open for that and make it seem comfortable.

The common sterotype for our school are frat boys/sorority girls. Also that everyone in our school is a drinker. I don't think that this is very accurate. Although we do have a lot of guys in fraternities and girls in sororities, not everyone drinks.

Murray State University is a very well rounded University. I am part of the greek community so I think very highly of our Greek Society. Although Murray has all of the typical sterotype students, majority of students overlap in several of the areas. This is because Murray is a small campus and because of this you meet all kinds of people who enjoy different things. Murray State students are also very involved with supporting our sports teams. If you love going to sports games, you will love it here!

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend for me would consist of going to Sports games, going out to eat, then going to a fraternity house or a friends apartment. There are also shows and programs put on by Murray State for people who are not into the party scene. The movies are also an option on the weekends (Murray State Students get a discount at the movies as well)!

What do students complain about most?

If students complain it is mostly because the Murray area is small. However, there are bigger citites in driving distance whenever students need a break from Murray.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The main dining services at Murray are Winslow and the Tea Room. Winslow is where freshman can use their unlimited meal plan. Its not awful, but it is cafeteria food. However the Tea Room is where you can use your "flex dollars" and it is definitely a step up from Winslow. There is also a Deli and Coffee shop where flex dollars can also be used.There are plenty of restaurants around Murray as well.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Murray Kentucky is a small area. When you venture off campus there are chain restaurants and some small private owned shops. We do not have a mall, but there is a movie theater, bowling ally, and also a skating rink. There is also downtown Murray where there are more antique shops and places to eat.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms at Murray State are decent. Obviously all dorms are not going to be the best, but there are two dorms that are the newest which are Clark and New Richmond, and they are also the most expensive. I am in an older dorm but still a suite style so I do not have to have "community bath."

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Murray State University because I could feel myself fitting in with the students here. Its a smaller campus and students get a more one-on-one teaching approach with their teachers, because majority of classes are smaller.

There are a wide variety of students at MSU. When going to class, most students dress casual and in sweats or jeans and tshirts. Many students are from surrounding areas in Kentucky, but there are also many students from out of state. I do not think any student would feel out of place because theres a wide range of students whether that be racially, religiously, or just in interests.

The greek life is very popular on campus but with that being said, Campus Outreach is also very popular. Campus outreach is like a religous organization who meet weekly and hold events. There is also student government groups, Pre-Health Professionals Club, and so on. There are many groups and organizations to participate in. Attending athletic events is very popular at Murray (especially basketball games)! Guest speakers and concerts are held at our CFSB center very frequently, so there is always something to look forward to. There are people who party every weekend. Alot of students have apartments and have parties there. Or there are always the fraternity houses who will have people over on the weekends. If you aren't into the party scene there are always the movies or the skating rink. There are also usually sporting events held on the weekends as well.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.