Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Sean

My school is a enlighted with such wonderful opportunities for the students and staff in order to better their lifes, and help them be the person they once dreamed of. Murray State is a great school in general, because everything a student would ever need while in the process of earning his/her degree is implemented at Murray State University.

My classmates are and have always been great. Classmates and students at Murray State University are some of the most supportive individuals i've ever got the chance to meet. Everyone seem to want the best for the next person and that's exactly what i seek in classmates.

I would encourage my younger self to strive for excellence and greatness because although college life can be somewhat challenging and difficult, I must envision my goals and future. Because the transision from a high school education and environmental setting can be the complete opposite from a university perspective. I would also inform myself as a high school senior to focus the majority of my time on schoolwork and things centered around my education, because time managing can be a tough thing to mange while in college for the simple fact you're on your own for the first time in your life so important decisions will ultimately be left to you. Maturity and responsibility plays a big role in succeeding on a university level, therefore i must do the best of my abilities to reach my goals and succeed. The transition from high school to college is another stage in life to prepare you for the real world and to shape you to be the ideal person you should be in order to advance and achieve your goals. Don't look at college as scary thing because it can be a wonderful experience as well.

Brian

My classmates are mostly frat boys that only socialize with their own brothers.

My classmates are mostly frat boys that only socialize with their own brothers.

I know you haven't quite come out of your shell yet. And trust me, you will. Just remember that staying at home isn't gonna get you anywhere. You are going to have many opportunities in school. Opportunities that will lead to both positive and negative consequences. Just remember one important thing: It is not what we do that we regret, it's what we didn't do. Get out there and do more than just play soccer! Join a club, learn to smile. I know people can be pretty stupid, but that isn't gonna change, and pouting about it won't help you at all. Regardless of what you're thinking right now, you will meet a lot of people and make many friends. Don't take them for granted. One day everyone will leave and unless you actively try to stay in their lives, they'll disappear. Life is about looking back every few years and realizing how stupid you were. Take my advise, trust me. And when you meet that beautiful brunette with the big green eyes, don't hesitate. Grow a pair and kiss her the second she's single. She wants you to.

Sara

I love the fact that it is a smaller school, and that the atmosphere is so welcoming. The staff there genuinely care about the students and how they are doing. The town that it is located in is welcoming as well, and has even earned the friendliest small town in America title given by USA Today Travel. The overall feel of the school is that of a friendly atmosphere where they will make sure that you will be taken care of and have fun, and will be given an excellant education while you are at it.

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice during my senior year of high school, one of the things that I would definitely tell myself would be to push myself harder. Go ahead and take that extra AP class. Get involved in more clubs. Do something that is out of your comfort zone. Work a little harder looking for scholarships. But at the same time, I would tell myself to not stress so much about life. Instead of worrying about every little issue, just relax. You will be okay. The college years will be some of the most educational, yet entertaining years of one's life, so don't waste time worrying about the little stuff. Keep everything in perspective. Do the work, but set aside time for yourself as well. Oh, and one last thing. Don't spend so much money.

The kind of person that should attend Murray State University is one that genuinely cares about the quality of their education and will do their best in their studies. Since it is located in a small town and there are not as many attractions as a larger city, one should be willing to stay on campus and get involved, whether it be through sports or honor societies or recreational clubs.

Alexis

Familiar. They are not people I grew up with, but they are so similar in speech and mannerisms it's hard to think that I didn't go to highschool with them. It's easy to make friends because everyone is so friendly and outgoing.

First, I would give myself a nice punch and then tell myself that being afraid is okay, but don't hold back just because I am scared that something might not turn out how I thought. I would make sure to highlihgt all the positive things that come out of my experience and say to jump into everything whether or not I think I'm qualified. After I give a nice heartfelt speech, I would tell myself everything about whats to come so I am fully prepared.

That I am not limited to a certain field. I can branch out and do so many things and take classes that have nothing to do with my major.

Mariah

The Business program, but also for being in America's friendliest town and being in the top colleges for twenty-one years running. That is the employees' opinion. Among students it is best known for its medium size and the low tuition for a such a good education.

To make sure to take the classes only offered during certain semesters in a timely manner, as not doing so could leave you with an extra year of school for only one or two classes remaining. And if transferring to a different university or college to keep the same in mind. Some of the credits won't transfer and while it might not add to the classload by much, it could extend the amount of time it takes to graduate. For example: you cannot take Beginning Japanese and Advanced Japanese in the same semester. Also, to remember that most shcolarship deadlines come at the beginning of the year, sometimes a full year before the award year. The last piece of advice would be to not stress about finances. If you can make it through college without taking out student loans, you will start off in a much better position; not completely up the wall about finding a job that can help you pay back the loans. Working through college and even taking a semester or two off to earn money sets you back only a year, while debt can set you back a lifetime.

That it requires incoming freshman and sophmores to stay at on-campus housing. While there are exemptions I believe that at the most, only freshman should be required.

Katheryn

My favorite tradition is all campus sing. It is a singing and dancing competition between the residential colleges, groups, sororities and fraternities. It is a great show to watch. The whole school groups in front of lovetee auditorium and we all have a great time together.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I have a study group that likes to meet in Harts coffee shop. Sometimes it gets a little louder than we would like but all in all the coffee shop is a great place to get work done. The lower area of the library is another great place to get work done. But I would suggest it for more personal work rather than group work.

Tell us about your professors.

All the professors in the Agriculture program really care whether their students do well or not. Some of the other teachers are less involved with there students well being. The professors in the music department also care about their students.

Don't procrastinate on filling out your FAFSA or loan applications. I did and I was having major financial issues at the beginning of the year.

I don't think the stereo type is that accurate. Yes, there are a lot of country people here but not everyone is.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Intermural sports on campus are very popular. This is when the residential colleges, fraternities and sororities play sports against each other for awards and college points. Many students get involved with the teams and there is always a big audience to support the players.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

No, it is good to keep in contact with home. I am generally to busy with classes and other clubs to call every day. I try to phone home once a week to keep my parents up on what is going on in my life.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing for me was getting use to being on my own. I went six hours from home so if i needed something it was all on me to get it done.

What do people really wear to class?

It ranges from casual to dressy. Generally people don't really dress up unless they have an interview during the day or somewhere important to be. Murray State t-shirts are generally the wardrobe of choice around campus.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

My first football game was a terrific day. The stands were packed with everyone showing there racer pride. I had never seen so much school spirit. When the band marched onto the field I felt like a super star and couldn't wait to preform.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose this school because of their Pre Vet program. It is a very hands on program that will prepare me for Vetrinary school. The program will easily transfer to the Illinois school I am planning on attending in three years. I also chose Murray because of it's size, being located in a small town was appealing to me becase I came from a small town.

I believe the stereotype at Murray State is that everyone is a Hick. There are many country people here but Murray State is a very diverse campus so the stereotype is not very accurate.

Ariel

I would tell my high school self that it is okay to not know exactly which direction to go. Slow down. Going to a community college first or taking a few years off before continuing an education isn't failing. Self-discovery is more important than most people make it out to be and that discovery happens whether you are in school or not. Most people change their "major." You will change your major! Read about and get referrals for great professors. Don't take everything so seriously. Networking is an important part of college. That's not a bad thing! Listen to your intuition. Listen to your heart! Listen to your heart! Listen to your heart! Study what you have a passion for pursuing. Surround yourself with positive people. Dreams come true!

ANNA

Get involved in campus activities early. Study harder than you need to because it will be worth it later. Make friends with people in your classes quickly you may need help when the teacher isn't available.

Murray State puts an extreme emphisis on creating a community feeling and keeping students involved.

Persons looking for a big city life. The city of Murray is a small town and they like it that way. Also if you're looking for a "party" school this is not the place for you. Its a dry campus in the middle of a dry county.

Andrea

Honestly, I have not noticed a specific stereotype here. There is such a variety of people that once you find people you like being around or have similar interests to you, its really easy to forget about the possibility of stereotypes.

Danielle

I love Murray State University! It is a wonderful school! The best thing would be how friendly everyone is and how nice the professors are. Our school size is just right I think, it isn't too big and it isn't too small. Our school is trying to grow larger though, so I hope it doesn't grow too much. Murray State overall has a very good reputation in our town and other surrounding communities.

The most popular student groups would have to be the fraternities and sororities. They tend to be very popular in our school. The dating scene at our school is very diverse. People party at our school often. Just because since we are such a small town, there isn't anything else to do besides party and hangout with friends. So most students whether they are in a fraternity or not are friends.

Our academics are great! I am in the psychology department, and everyone there knows me by name and are very personable. Other departments are much bigger though, such as the nursing program. So I don't know if the teachers are personable with them. In class, we always have discussions, the teachers make the classroom very open for that and make it seem comfortable.

The common sterotype for our school are frat boys/sorority girls. Also that everyone in our school is a drinker. I don't think that this is very accurate. Although we do have a lot of guys in fraternities and girls in sororities, not everyone drinks.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.