Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Felicia

Murray State University is a very exciting, fun, energetic place to learn and meet all kinds of new friends from all over the world.

You should not attend this school if you are not serious about getting your degree, it is not a party school but we still have fun.

Make the most of your senior year. Do all the sports and activities that you can. Study hard and listen to your teachers and coaches because they really do know what they are talking about when it comes to studying for tests, writing papers and just being responsible for yourself. Always be proud of the choices you make and never second guess yourself. Only you can decide what is best for you in life.

Thomas

Murray State University is located in a small rural town offering an excellent educational environment and atmosphere.

You did well on your ACT but you let yourself down on couple core subjects. Be serious about your high school education and do well in Advanced Placement courses. Get yourself organized and mind your class requirements and assignments to get them in on a timely manner. You have the desire and attitude for higher education; you'll be ready for college.

Anyone interested in any of the majors offered or general subjects that would let one decide on a major.

Tony

The best thing about our school is the incredible faculty. The professors here are top-notch and truly care about helping the student body succeed. The campus is just the right size. You can get to your classes easily, run into your friends often, yet there is still a very diverse student body with tons of active clubs and organizations to join. Personally, my favorite hang-out spot on campus is the library! They have really comfy couches and laptops, headphones, and other cool pieces of technology that you can check-out (including ipad's!). "Once a Racer, Always a Racer" - We have tons of school pride, and there will always be an event to show that pride; whether it's a rally, sport game, or just walking the dorm halls. Murray State University is a fabulous school all-around, I hope to see ya on campus next semester! :)

Why did you decide to go to this school?

To learn the skills needed to start my own business.

What are your classes like?

I am very competitive, and I am always looking for a challenge. The classes are tad on the easy side right now...bring on the big-guns professors!

Our Men's Basketball team is top-notch! But, there are over 15 organized sporting events students can choose from to attend. We have great guest-speakers, and bands that come through as well. Frats, sororities, clubs, and honor organizations (like The Nation Society of Collegiate Scholars) are very active on campus and off. Plus, the area has plenty of great places to eat and even a dance-club, called the Night Owl. Since it's 18 and up, no booze, but it has a great sound system, lighting, and even a hookah-bar.

Murray State University prides itself on the diversity of its student body. We have a very active Gay-Straight Alliance Group, several church services right on campus, and a vibrant International student community. There are also active groups for both democratic and republican parties, so everyone can have a chance to express themselves and meet other people with similar goals and ideals.

The professors really care about educating the student body and take the time to get to know you on a personal level- as long as you show initiative. Come to learn, and they will show you why we rank as one of the best schools in the Nation. One of my favorite classes would have to be Com 161 - Intro to Public Speaking. This class taught me how to address a groups of people (both large and small), as well it taught me how to be a better listener. Honestly, the class changed my life and I can see my relationships with faculty, friends, and family dramatically improving since the class. Your education here is what you make it. But, if you want to have access to some of the best faculty in a collegiate setting I strongly suggest Murray State University!

The student body is so diverse at Murray State University that there are no definitive stereotypes. We still do have a very active Greek, Band, Athletic, and International community as well. We pride ourself on being all-inclusive and making everybody feel like they belong.

Shelby

Murray State is definitely the best place for me. It is not too far away from my hometown, the small town feel is great and the staff and community are so friendly. Everyone in Murray loves the college kids. It brings an excitement to the town. The student population is just the right size. We're about 10000 students right now and it is perfect. There are enough people for you to meet new people every day, but there aren't too many to where your classes are overwhelmingly large.

Something you might not realize is that Murray State classes are challenging. The science departments are very hard. I have been in numerous Chemistry and Biology classes and I have had to work very hard to receive a good grade. However, most teachers are very willing to work with you and are extremely helpful.

Some of the people I have talked to at Murray say that we are a suitcase school, which means that we go home on most weekends. Well, sometimes this is true, however, the more people you know the more activities you realize go on on the weekends and therefore you end up staying on the weekends. When you live on campus it seems that more students do pack up and go home, but once you live off campus you realize that it is okay to stay in Murray for the weekend.

Tia

The school has many clubs and activities that fit the needs of each student and the professors are great for working with one-on-one. It is very much in a college town because Murray is in the middle of no where and after driving 3 hours on a highway with fields, out of no where the town of Murray appears. Everyone knows of Murray State and probably 1/3 of the population are the students that attend the university. Overall, it is a great atmosphere that offers everything but the big city feeling.

Obviously Greek life is very popular. Each sorority has a different reputation, but they all fit different groups of people and different personalities. BCM and Chris Ambassadors are popular among the religious students and there are other clubs that fit peoples' majors and minors that are beneficial as well.

LGBT is very accepting and open. I have not seen a lot of harassment from other groups, which is surprising since it is such a religious town. There is a group called Chris Ambassadors which is very open to letting people join and Baptist Campus Ministry (BCM) which has gained a lot of popularity over the past few years. A lot of people are very open-minded and accepting in town. There is a personality to fit anyone's profile as a "friend".

The classes are fairly small and the professors are easy to talk to one-on-one. The ones that aren't gain a reputation which is sadly helpful for those who are unsure. The classes are challenging enough, but not too challenging that you are hopeless. There is always someone to help and other students available to offer tutoring.

Coming from a suburb of St. Louis, many people believe Murray State is for people who want to engage their careers with Agriculture and farming. I don't think many people even know the great education Murray State provides and the many times Murray State has been rated as a top school in the nation with the lowest tuition price. Yes, a lot of people that go to school here are from the south and yes, some do fit the stereotype, but most of the people that go here are from either the area or one of the states surrounding Kentucky. There are a lot of right wing conservatives and there is a distinct indication that you are in the bible belt. There is a club and personalities that fit everyone's needs. Honestly, I don't think that I would have been happier going anywhere else.

Erica

The professors at my school (at least in my department which is accounting) are great and extremely helpful. The landscaping is always kept nice. These make for a great school.

There is something for just about everyone. Greek life is a big part of the university including black fraternities and soroities as well as campus government.

The students here are much like the stereotype. They are friendly even to complete strangers.

This is one of the top rated schools. The academics here are amongst the top of public universities.

Students here are sterotyped to be very friendly and open to cultural diversity. This holds to be true.

Priscilla

The things you need to know about college life can be broken down into three categories: Time managment, study habits, and using your resources to their maximum capabilities. Time managment is one of my main categories because if you dont set aside time to study or time to work and do other things, you will waste it. Time is precious to a college student, try to utilize it the best you can with school. Study habits is a very strong category because by not reading or not doing work; procrastinating in other words, you will not accel in your classes the way you should be. What i mean by using your resources to their maximum capabilities is do not be shy, if you school offers tutoring for free, use it. Other things about college will be fairly simple by, managing your time well, studying everyday for classes, and using the resources provided to you by the school.

Olivia

My classmates are pretty much average but alot more serious about school than my classmates in high school.

I would definitely give myself the advice to try alot harder. Getting better grades can definitely get you more money and scholarships and the university I decided to go to requires you to have alot of money. College life is very hard when all your worries are focused on money and working a job every night of the week to pay off loans is not fun. I would also tell myself to not worry so much about my social life in high school as i should of been worrying about applying for scholarships and getting letters of recommendation and volunteering more often. Volunteering in high school is important because getting alot of scholarships requires you to have so many volunteer hours. The transition between high school and college is extreme depending on where you go. Your parents are no longer by your side to guide you in all of your decisions. I would tell high school senior me to try harder at making more decisions for myself instead of falling back on my parents everytime something doesnt go my way. Going to college takes alot of work and every high schooler should start looking into it as a freshman.

The most frustrating thing about my school would be having to park at the stadium as a freshman because i have a job and i have to walk it twice a day.

Charly

The advice I would give myself would be to learn to relax and take time to not be so stressed. I would tell myself let me have fun and try to meet new people. YHowever, I would also say that my hard work would pay off and to keep up with the good work.

Katrina

You probably don't understand what is going on in your life right now. Everyone is moving on and sometimes things might be a little scary, but deciding to get a degree is not as horrifying as it looks. As long as you maintain confidence, you will do well. All the tests, essays and research papers may seem like a hassle, but you feel really accomplished when you are finished. Last thing you need to know is that people are there to help you. Councilers, family, and future friends will guide you on the road to your future. Good luck and keep your head up. Also, do not forget what you have learned in high school, it is actually really helpful.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.