Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Darcie

We are known as Ketucky's Public Ivy League University and we are always ranked in national magazines.

It may seem as though living in this town I would know everything about this camus, but just because I live here doens't make it so. There are still things that can be learned about MSU. My first semester I had to take a Freshamn Orientation class which at the time i thought was useless but I did learn a little bit about MSU that isn't told to every person who visits the campus. Don't be so cokcy thinking that you know everything about a University simply because you have had t drilled into your brain that that's where you are going to go. There is always something to learn about a school.

One thing I wish I had known about Murray State is whether I made the right choice by not living in a dorm and instead living at home because i live in the same town as the college.

LaKeisha

I have diverse classmates.

I have diverse classmates.

My dorm, because I'm in a brand new building! I also brag about the food and the classes. The food is great, and the professors are well educated.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much advice. I would first point out the fact that college is very expensive. I would tell myself to get all the help I can to pay for college, and to work the whole year to save money. I would have told myself to tell my parents to save their money to help with college. Staying in my own state would have been the best advice I could have given myself, because college in your own state is cheaper. Especially, if I would have stayed in my city. If I could go back in time, I would have told myself to look for a job here at school as well, and to do all extracuricular activites I could before I came. If I could go back in time and give myself advice. I would have saved a lot of money.

There are so many things you need to know. First off, do not become immersed in the hardships, crossroads, and sad times going on bak home. As well, do not become overwhelmed with the 'college life'. Don't succumb to pressure to drink or go to parties, they are not what will fulfill your life and bring you happiness. Enjoy and take part in campus activities and ministry groups. Use this special time in your life to make friends, make mistakes and learn from them, and most of all, enjoy life. Laugh. Cry. Live. Love everything that surrounds you, don't let negative thoughts or people bring you down. College is an exciting journey with many opputunities, hardships, and joys along the road. Take every positive oppurtunity that comes your way. Explore the culture of diverse students around you. Volunteer your time to help those in need. Take part in activities, lectures, plays, and events around campus. Overall, embrace being a young adult that was lucky to get the oppurtunity to go to college; explore every positive aspect of your new environment. Most of all though, love yourself and live your life the way that makes you happy.

Murray State University is a medium-sized school with a little over 12,000 students; it feels like a diverse, yet close-knit community. Anytime you walk to class, you will always see someone you know. Murray offers diverse and fun activities to entice its students; international movie nights, world renowned speakers, concerts, plays, mixers, sporting events, multicultural functions, etc. It is a great environmet to live in without the pressures of alcohol and drugs. The community students build with themselves and with professors through MSU classes and events, is without doubt, the BEST thing about this school.

The worst thing about Murray State is the stigma placed on the school due to the size of the town that it is located in. When applying for schools, most students will look at the size of the town and autmatically mark MSU off of their list. The campus makes up the majority of the city. However, Murray State deligently makes an effort to entice their students to stay on campus during the weekends, and to come back year after year. It's not the town that should form the college environment, it's the people.

Haley

The campus itself is beautiful. All my friends are probably sick and tired of hearing about it.

If I could go back and tell my high school senior self about making the transition to MSU, I would definately try and talk myself into living on campus. Being a commuter is great, but living in the dorms probably would have made transitioning from high school to college life several times easier. Even though my house is only a short drive from MSU, the campus is almost like a completely different world. No one cares if you show up to class or actually pay attention to the professors, no one cares if you do your homework or take your tests, no one cares what you do, and that makes it so much easier to just put all of it to the back of my mind. Living on campus, I'd have friends (some old, some new) to make sure I went to class and turned my assignments in, and my first semester would probably have gone a lot smoother because of it. It's not high school, there's no one to hold your hand and lead you through it. At least by living on campus, you'll have someone there who understands what you're going through.

Jordan

My classmate are usually in the same field of study that I am; thus far into my career most students have been around the same age as me as well.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to get serious. First off to state filling out more scholarship applications and get all of my paperwork lined out early. Figure out a budget so that I can try to pay for all of the expenses of college, because it is far more than I ever thought that it would be. I would also tell myself that school and homework is more important than anything else at the time could be; once you get your grades back that you would have really skipped out on whatever it was at the time and work on your grades. College is totally different from high school and be ready to work harder and longer because grades aren't given they are earned.

This school has a large variety of majors and there is always something for everyone; students should know that they need to be responsible, hard working, and dedicated to their studies.

William

Murray State is accomidating to every type of student as far as I have seen. The scools location could be the only drawback to those who don't enjoy the "quiet life", because Murray is located in a very rural enviorment. The closest large city is over 30 minutes away. So people that have a need for a night life and a skyline would not enjoy the school but as for every other aspect, this school is good for almost anyone.

I brag the most about the large lakes that are not too far away from campus. I also brag that my school has a very quiet and sirene feel no matter where you go on campus. For my more adventurous friends I tell them about its geographical location that it is within an hour of atleast four different cities for exploration. For my friends that have to have 5 star Hotel Accomidations everywhere they go I tell them about the two brand spankin new residential dorms built within the last 2 years.

In high school as a senior I would have told myself to not attempt things because they seem out of reach and or because you don's see the chances of you being successful at it. As a senior I would also tell myself to do things that will give me a better understanding of who I am and what makes me happy. That way when you arrive to college you have a idea of what you want to do and you can then decide what courses will get you to the job that makes you happy. I would simply tell myself to do a little more SELF-Discovery. I think I made the transition from high school to college fairly well compared to some of my friends. I would like to go back and encourage my friends that decided against college to maybe rethink there decision and go ahead and try it out because alot more oppourtunities are opened up to you by secondary education. I am only in my second semester and because of the groupps and professors that I have met I have experienced more than I would have ever, if I did not come to college.

Matthew

I would have recommended that my past self should have inquired more about the school life itself, instead of just jumping in to things. I would have also informed myself that I would need to move to the town in which my college is in since the adjacent town is thirty miles away, and the transportation is a pain on my car 4-5 days a week. The last piece of advice would to not let emotional separations affect my schooling, as it would eventually make it more difficult the longer I was in school.

The costs of certain details at the school seem too exaggerated, such as how they attempt to charge for everything within the school. Parking passes are considerably too much when compared to all the tickets they write. Another problem is how they excuse the rise in tuition; by stating that it is because they aren't making money. My main problem with that is that they continue to build buildings all over the place instead of remodeling the current ones, so of course they won't have any money in reserve that can be used for student enhancement.

Laura

My classmates are fun, energetic people who are ready to learn with a positive attitude.

The best thing about Murray State University is the small classroom size. The teachers really get to connect with the students in the classroom.

Dear High-School Self, Do not become shy over the summer you go off to college. There is no need for that and it is totally pointless to not open yourself up to the new opportunities that will arise to your side. Always keep an open mind when meeting new people, and professors. Go to the student activities on campus, and also become involved with those activities. You will be able to meet new people and even network for later life experiences. Be courteous to the people in your dorm, especially your floor advisor. Study hard, but don?t forget to have fun also! Yours truly, College Self

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably never shut up! The first thing I would tell me is to leave the boys alone because you have plenty of years to worry about them. The second thing that I would tell me is to study hard and learn some good study habits. Next I would tell myself that it is okay to stay at home with my parents a while longer. Let them pay the bills, eat out of their fridge, and try not to fight with your brothers! You will be able to concentrate more on your studies and less on working enough hours to pay your rent. Next, I would tell myself to stop changing my mind so much and pick a major and stick to it. Don't listen to negative talk about your course of study, but follow your heart. The last thing I would tell myself is to enjoy the moment and to learn as much as you can while your brain is young. Listen to your parents, teachers, etc., because they have been around longer and know a thing or two about life.

Anna

What I would tell myself is that I know that it is going to be hard. There are going to be times where dropping out seems like the best answer, but know that here at Murray State the professors and other staff members really care about you. This is a great chance to do what you have always wanted to do and always remember that you can do anything you set your mind to. This school wants it's students to succeed and go on to a bigger and better future. Oh, and remember to bring a pair of rain boots it rains a lot here!

I love the learning differences program. The factually and staff are so passionate about what they do and try and succeed into making you feel like you can do anything in the world. They help me out a lot and no amount of thanks could come close in what they have done for me and for the rest of the students are in this program.

I wished the school told me was that the sport I was going to play was canceled. It was a pretty big blow because I came there on a scholarship and was told that I could not get it after my freshman year. It was too late to look for another school for scholarships because all the deadlines have passed.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.