Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

After growing up in a small town, and seeing the same people for all of my education, I was pleasently surpised by the diversity in nationalities and personalities displayed among the students at Murray State University.

I for one was very suprised by the amount of responsibility I had to take on when leaving for college, but the new friends and teachers at MSU helped ease the transition and made the growing experience a fun one.

I have gotten so many things out of my college experience. To start off with, I have made so many new friendships that I hope to keep throughtout my college experience, and life. I have also gained a new sense of responsibility in terms of taking care of myself. My parents aren't with me to do my laundry and make me go to class. Ive had to grow up and learn how to do so many things on my own and i have trully grown from it. Knowledge is another important thing I have gotten from Murray. I have learned so many new interesting things in my classes. I would say my experience at Murray State has been a very valuable experience that has helped me grow as a student and a person, and I wouldnt trade my freshmen year here for anything.

Josh

Murray State University is well-known throughout the nation for its very successful Nursing and Education programs. I am proud to call myself a member of the Nursing Program, the most difficult major offered here according to students, and I am strongly looking forward to continuing myjourney through the program. MSU is also known for its extremely successful basketball program, with 33 Ohio Valley Conference Championships and 13 NCAA Tournament appearances.

The transition from high school to college life is a fickle fiend, as going from living under Mom and Dad's roof to attempting to be somewhat self-sufficient is one of the single-biggest changes a young person will have to go through. I would definitely tell my younger senior self to better prepare for the dorm life. My experiences living with certain people that dirty up the place and don't keep up with their duties have irked me more than I would have liked. This came from assuming that everything was going to be perfect and nothing was going to go wrong. That was definitely not the case. I would also tell myself to make sure and get on my studies very, very early. Nothing is worse than ill-advisedly studying for a exam that counts for 25 percent of your grade. Learning to deal with people and to be a better student woud be at the top of the list of things that I would tell my past self, in order to benefit myself in the future.

Not only is Murray State University a very successful academic school, the comradery between the students here makes the college experience that much more fulfilling. College is a two-part world, and a solid balance between the academia and social realms will bring about a better form of success in each and every student.

Ashlee

Seemingly small considerations make a huge difference once you are actually on a college campus. Don't choose a campus without visiting, touring dorms, sampling food, etc. Staying overnight with a friend is the best way to get the actual feel for the place. Tour guides are trained to make it seem great, but a student will tell you the full truth about the inns and outs of the university/college. Getting involved is the best way to transition. Go to club meetings, sporting events, cultural enrichment nights. You might be uncomfortable for the first few minutes, but college is all about meeting people - EVERYONE is looking to make friends. Speak up, say hello to someone and go from there. It'll make it much easier on you in the long run.

If you like intense "night life," Murray is not that place for you; also, if you are into fast-paced, day-to-day ongoings, Murray will likely seem dull.

Artistic and/or Agriculturally based persons will thrive in Murray.

I tell them how great the professors are, they take time in class, outside of class, and out of their schedule to spend time with you and make you feel comfortable with the topics you're studying. I love the history behind this school as well as there is a ton of history and heritage at Murray State University.

Those who are not willing to put in the time and dedication to their schooling, while relatively inexpensive, as my first semester at Murray State University I found that you spend a lot of time in your studies and will pull many late nights working on your studies to excel.

If I could go back and talk to myself in my high school senior year I would tell myself I shouldn't worry about the hardship you're recieving in school now, you'll meet tons of new people, have an amazing advisor who will take the time to sit and talk with you when you're feeling confused about school and be surrounded by brilliant professors. Focus on your studies and work hard to keep at what you want in life and don't let anyone sell you short, because you're an amazing person who is intelligent and can become what you believe you can be.

Matthew

Murray is a very friendly school in a small town. The campus is beautiful. I enjoy outdoor activities that are available in the area. Land Between the Lakes offers fishing and hunting as well as hiking. I have enjoyed all my classes and made many friends.

I would work hard to get the best ACT score possible. I have enjoyed being a student athlete and I would not change that in any way. I have been very happy with the path I have taken and I hope to obtain my M.B.A. in May of 2010. I would strongly recommend Murray State University to any high school senior and have recommended it to my younger sister, who is a high school senior this year.

It becomes more difficult to get the schedule you need as you progress toward your degree. In the higher level classes there is sometimes only one class available.

Darcie

We are known as Ketucky's Public Ivy League University and we are always ranked in national magazines.

It may seem as though living in this town I would know everything about this camus, but just because I live here doens't make it so. There are still things that can be learned about MSU. My first semester I had to take a Freshamn Orientation class which at the time i thought was useless but I did learn a little bit about MSU that isn't told to every person who visits the campus. Don't be so cokcy thinking that you know everything about a University simply because you have had t drilled into your brain that that's where you are going to go. There is always something to learn about a school.

One thing I wish I had known about Murray State is whether I made the right choice by not living in a dorm and instead living at home because i live in the same town as the college.

LaKeisha

I have diverse classmates.

I have diverse classmates.

My dorm, because I'm in a brand new building! I also brag about the food and the classes. The food is great, and the professors are well educated.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have so much advice. I would first point out the fact that college is very expensive. I would tell myself to get all the help I can to pay for college, and to work the whole year to save money. I would have told myself to tell my parents to save their money to help with college. Staying in my own state would have been the best advice I could have given myself, because college in your own state is cheaper. Especially, if I would have stayed in my city. If I could go back in time, I would have told myself to look for a job here at school as well, and to do all extracuricular activites I could before I came. If I could go back in time and give myself advice. I would have saved a lot of money.

There are so many things you need to know. First off, do not become immersed in the hardships, crossroads, and sad times going on bak home. As well, do not become overwhelmed with the 'college life'. Don't succumb to pressure to drink or go to parties, they are not what will fulfill your life and bring you happiness. Enjoy and take part in campus activities and ministry groups. Use this special time in your life to make friends, make mistakes and learn from them, and most of all, enjoy life. Laugh. Cry. Live. Love everything that surrounds you, don't let negative thoughts or people bring you down. College is an exciting journey with many opputunities, hardships, and joys along the road. Take every positive oppurtunity that comes your way. Explore the culture of diverse students around you. Volunteer your time to help those in need. Take part in activities, lectures, plays, and events around campus. Overall, embrace being a young adult that was lucky to get the oppurtunity to go to college; explore every positive aspect of your new environment. Most of all though, love yourself and live your life the way that makes you happy.

Murray State University is a medium-sized school with a little over 12,000 students; it feels like a diverse, yet close-knit community. Anytime you walk to class, you will always see someone you know. Murray offers diverse and fun activities to entice its students; international movie nights, world renowned speakers, concerts, plays, mixers, sporting events, multicultural functions, etc. It is a great environmet to live in without the pressures of alcohol and drugs. The community students build with themselves and with professors through MSU classes and events, is without doubt, the BEST thing about this school.

The worst thing about Murray State is the stigma placed on the school due to the size of the town that it is located in. When applying for schools, most students will look at the size of the town and autmatically mark MSU off of their list. The campus makes up the majority of the city. However, Murray State deligently makes an effort to entice their students to stay on campus during the weekends, and to come back year after year. It's not the town that should form the college environment, it's the people.

Haley

The campus itself is beautiful. All my friends are probably sick and tired of hearing about it.

If I could go back and tell my high school senior self about making the transition to MSU, I would definately try and talk myself into living on campus. Being a commuter is great, but living in the dorms probably would have made transitioning from high school to college life several times easier. Even though my house is only a short drive from MSU, the campus is almost like a completely different world. No one cares if you show up to class or actually pay attention to the professors, no one cares if you do your homework or take your tests, no one cares what you do, and that makes it so much easier to just put all of it to the back of my mind. Living on campus, I'd have friends (some old, some new) to make sure I went to class and turned my assignments in, and my first semester would probably have gone a lot smoother because of it. It's not high school, there's no one to hold your hand and lead you through it. At least by living on campus, you'll have someone there who understands what you're going through.

Jordan

My classmate are usually in the same field of study that I am; thus far into my career most students have been around the same age as me as well.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to get serious. First off to state filling out more scholarship applications and get all of my paperwork lined out early. Figure out a budget so that I can try to pay for all of the expenses of college, because it is far more than I ever thought that it would be. I would also tell myself that school and homework is more important than anything else at the time could be; once you get your grades back that you would have really skipped out on whatever it was at the time and work on your grades. College is totally different from high school and be ready to work harder and longer because grades aren't given they are earned.

This school has a large variety of majors and there is always something for everyone; students should know that they need to be responsible, hard working, and dedicated to their studies.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.