Murray, KY
Murray State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Murray State University

Dannis

It is best known for it carrer readiness and placement. A great number of people that graduate from Murray State University are able to get very good jobs right out of school. It is a very well recognized college in many areas. There are many employers that come to the campus seeking new employees. The university also does a great job of preparing students to go out and use their degree. They encourage internships and push students towards success.

If I could go back and help myself prepare, I would tell myself to learn and adapt better study skills and time management. In college it is easy to get away and begin to forget about what is really important. It is important to stay focused on school and remember that right now it should be at the top of my priorities. While it is important to have a job and save money or pay for college, you have to be sure to first set apart time to study and just enjoy being in college. College life is fun, but it's also very short. I would remind myself of how quickly time passes and that it is important not only to study and have a job, but to have a good, safe time!

The test scheduling is very hard to deal with at some points. This is of course a problem at all universities and MSU actually does a great job on trying to work with students on their schedules. I think that this is just part of the college experience.

Jacob

The unique thing about my school is the huge variety of people that are on campus.

The advice I would give myself is to not jump staright into a 4 year university. If i could have done things a lot differently I would of started at a community college to get my basics out of the way and then moved to a 4 year college to get the rest out of the way.

One thing about this school that I feel is the worst quality is whne someone is trying to decide what m ajor they are going to go into, they don't provide enough information about that major and the names are often misleading. An example would be Computer Information Systems which is business orientated and TSM which is technology orientated.

In undergrad, many of my classmates were highly motivated and set high expectations for themselves.

You don't yet know what you want from life, a profession, or your college experience. You shouldn't feel insecure about not knowing these things yet & people who say differently have unrealistic expecations of you. Immediately declare a major you like, it will give focus. Remember, it's alright to change your major. Trust mom's advice, but don't let it define you. Making friends with the same type of people you've known before is easy, but remember, you have always had to wear your "mask" with them. Your environment so far has been more isolated than you were led to believe, this fact should not be underestimated. Making good friends will require taking your "mask" off. Meet the outcasts, they're more philosophical, but stay conscious of your naivete. Be uncomfortable, it will help you mature. Develop a strong, healthy group of friends early on. 50% of succeeding in life is following others' directions, you're going to be held responsible for the other 50%. You're creative & many are not, this isn't a weakness, it's a strength. Break up with your boyfriend, it will not work out; go to events alone, stay safe.

The professors are easily accessable and are understanding of their students' issues, usually because of the small class sizes.

I believe Murray State University is best known for our community. We strive to make everyone feel welcome and appreciated. Everyone here is so wonderful and nice to each other, and everyone is very friendly, whether you are talking to a professor, office worker, or another student! We have things like Residential Colleges and Intramural Sports that can give way to friendly competition, and is also a great way to meet people! Plus, almost every organization on campus, from the Honors Program to the Greeks, has philanthropic events that give back to the community that gives us so much support!

There is nothing you can really do to prepare for the stress, and the joy, of college life. What I would tell my high school self is that everything works out in the exact right way. Fill out college applications, fill out scholarship applications, work hard to get into the school that you want to get into, but don't get disheartened if something didn't turn out precisely how you planned it would. Everything works out in the exact right way. The college you go to will be more than just a school to you. College is your place to find great, long lasting friendships, your place to date a few cute guys, your place to be on your own for the first time, your place to find yourself. The college you go to will be your home for the next four years, and honestly it will go by a lot faster than you would like. Sure you will fail a couple tests and skip a couple classes along the way, but don't worry. Everything works out in the exact right way.

The type of person that shouldn't attend this school is a negative, judgmental person. We at Murray State believe in treating people equally and fairly. There is an unspoken rule of friendliness and respect towards one another, and if you are the type of person who doesn't believe in that, this is probably not the school for you.

Kelsey

I would give myself the advice to take more AP classes for college credit. I would tell myself to start building a budget, and to start saving as much money as possible. I would encourage myself to be more involved so I could open myself up to other opportunities more. I would also tell myself to mentally and emotionally prepare for the distance of being away.

I brag most about the community of the school and its size. The school is not too big, and not too small. There is a friendly face around every corner and the campus is always kept clean and beautiful. The professors on campus are always helping when you need it, as well as, the other faculty on campus.

The most frustrating thing is getting money and scholarships, and communicating with the financial aid offices to get clear answers.

Allison

The most unique trait of Murray State University is the diversity. I have never seen a place so interratical. We have students and teachers from 9 different countries. It is a wonderful thing because you can learn so much about how things are from different students. With all of this diversity, you get an expierence of being in the real world. It is so nice to see all sorts of faces as you walk to class.

If I could write a letter to myself, I would tell her to not blink. I would tell her to not worry about growing up too fast. I would tell her that in a year from now your boyfriend cheating on you wouldn't matter because there is a better guy in your future. I would tell her to take in every last football game she was cheering in. That was the last year I would ever be cheering and I wish I could go back. I would tell her not to worry about deciding on a college; in the end you will pick the perfect university. I would tell her to have fun and relax. It will go so fast. I would tell her to thank thank Mr. Gavin everyday. No one would of guessed that our last day of high school would be the day he takes his last breath. I would tell myself to spend all of my free time with my mother, she is the MOST important person in your life and always will be. I would also tell her to save every penny: college is expensive!

I brag the most about the fact that Murray is the friendliest town. Coming from a big city, it is nice to have strangers smile and say hello. It is nice to hear that other people that you don't know care about how you are doing and are willing to help if you need assistance. With those types of people living in the community, it spreads to the campus. Everyone around campus is going to say hello and ask about your day. It is a truley comforting feeling.

Leslie

Murray State University is an incredible, academically sound, community supported campus that consists of people who are friendly, southern, and committed to making other people feel welcomed while providing a top-notch education experience.

If I was gifted with the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would take the opportunity to tell myself to stop being so caught up with what other people think of me and truly be genuine to who I was. Coming into college I was excited about the chance to be whoever I wanted to be but trying to reinvent myself from the person I had grown up in high school to be resulted in discontentment and misery. It wasn't until a friend introduced me to the true Gospel of Jesus Christ that I understood that I had identity outside of what other people thought of me that I was able to look at the world with joy and live my life as the person I was created to me. I would tell my 18 year old self to take a look at my own heart, realize that Jesus loves me for who I am and then live to be that person to His glory. This would have made the transition into college much easier and I would have developed lasting frienships from the begging of school rather than delaying them.

I wish I would have known about how many opportunities, activities and clubs there were to get involved with and that getting involved in such things was actually "cool". I thought that those things would be lame and that the people would likewise be lame but the environment and types of students her are all very genuine and a joy to be around! If I could do it all over again I would definitely put fortth an effort to get more involved in on campus activities and try to make friends outside of my sports team!

Elizabeth, You know that boy you're thinking about? He's not worth your time. You know that test you didn't do well on? It's not worth the worry. You know the bullshit you have to deal with at work? It's not worth your energy. You know about the family complications? It's not worth losing sleep over. The only thing that you need to focus on is yourself and what makes you happy. That means taking a weekend off of work and putting the books down to go out with your friends, spend time with your sister, and make memories. Your little sister won't be so little soon and she will miss and need you appreciate it while you can. Keep your standards high in college. Get out of your comfort zone and meet new friends. Work Study. Party. Laugh. Nobody is as good at being you, xcept you. You're going to go through rough times, but the good ones make up for it. You're well loved here at MSU. You have people who have your back and will help you up when you fall. So smile. You're prettier that way. Elizabeth

The guest rule. During the week, students who live in the residential colleges are not allowed to check another person into their dorm for more than six hours between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. This means I cannot spend the night, have study groups, or simply hang out with friends who live in other buildings on weekdays. Students are 18 years or older and pay to live on campus which means students should be allowed to choose how long they want to check a guest into their building.

A person who thrives on relationships should attend MSU. The small town and school offer a sense of community. No matter one's race, age, size, religion, etc. wherever one goes at least ten strangers will smile, wave, or greet that person. I have never witnessed a friendlier place. A person who is looking for academic challenges. MSU is home of one of best nursing programs and the nation's best OSHA program. A person who loves to have fun. During the day Murray is a sweet town, but at night it gets wild.

Summer

Murray State University is unique in the fact that some of the programs allow students to attend community college and the university at the same time while pursuing his/her degree. Murray State has one of the top rated basketball teams around and people drive for miles to sit in the stands and watch the athletes play. Murray State takes their role in providing students with the best education very seriously and truly care about the students. They go out of their way to ensure students get the help they need.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, advice that I would give myself would be to research the different colleges that are out there. Make sure I know what degree I want to pursue and stick with it. Make appointments to attend the colleges for visits to learn more about how that specific college works. Get involved by asking college students to give me one line of advice as a prospective student. Research to find out how long it will take to receive the degree I have chosen. Get an estimate of all related college costs. Make a financial plan and stay with it. Always order used books or rent because it does save money. I would say to take the first semester after high school off and after that go full time. If summer classes were an option, I would choose to take one class online every summer to finish my degree early. It pays off. The final piece of advice I would give is to make sure the classes I am enrolled in will count towards my degree and not to enroll in any that won't.

Murray State is a residential comprehensive university. They work very hard to ensure students receive the education they need. Murray State has a no tolerance drug policy. Murray State isn't for the college partier or for those not serious about their education and role as a student.

Madison

Murray State is truly a home away from home! Not only are you in a home environment with your fellow students and faculty, but the community also serves as a big brother to all the students at Murray State. I am in a sorority and we have adult advisors that help us with anything like finding a job, homework, a hot meal, being sick etc. My parents have felt much more at ease with me having a few people almost like extended family to count on in emergencies.!

Dear Madison, I would like to commend you on trying to get yourself ready for college by taking all of the A.P classes that were offered at you high school! It will truly make college easier, altleast in the begining. I know you mom is constantly telling you that you need to learn to do laundry and cook simple meal and you keep pushing it back....DON'T! Go ahead and get comfortable with those simple daily duties. Plan you time wisely. That has been my biggest ajustment at college. I was always a late studier and doing homework last minute. Big mistake to do that at college because everything will pile up quick. As soon as you know an assignment start it and finish as soon as possible. Fortunately, I had a few professors that helped get me on track with leniency. Get involved with your campus clubs and campus sports as much as possible. Its a great way to meet friends and future study buddies! Thank your teachers before you leave because even though you thought everything you were doing was stupid they have totally prepared you for college! Go MCHS!

I feel like one of the best things about Murray is small class sizes and instructors that will work with you on just about anything. The interaction between students and faculty at this University is amazing! I can't image that any other would come close to comparing with that and the overall expierence here at Murray. It has made the transition from home to college an easy one to accomplish.

Murray State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.