Murray State University

« See more reviews of Murray State University

Murray State University is a school that utilizes the Residential College housing system. It is designed to take the dorm experience to the next level by promoting community among each individual college and unity among all the residential colleges combined. This system places students in an environment that focuses on personal growth and promotes friendship through the use of Residential Advisor programs, Residential College Council meetings, intramural sports, and other events. Murray State University also offers First Year Leaders for first year students to act as guides and peer mentors during the adjustment to college life.

Following the trend of schools such as Yale, Murray State University is one of the few public schools to use the residential college system. Instead of "dorms", Murray has "residential colleges" where their students reside. With this system, it provides almost like a college within a college. Each residential college has their own organizations, intermural sports teams and other activities that make them unique. In my own experience, this has made it easier for me to adjust to the college atmosphere and makes it easier to make friends and become involved.

The most unique aspect about my school is even though Murray State is a "state school" one feels as if they are receiving a private school education due to quality of the education. The classes and town the school is located in are relatively small and the professors have a very good connection with their students. There is a "small town" and closeness with the locals and the students. There is definitely a feeling of community and unity at Murray State; what I would consider a brother/sisterhood. There definitely is a all for one, one for all mentality.

There is a real sense of community here at MSU; there's something for everyone. We have a strong greek life, but schoolwork always comes before any extra-curricular activities; there are lots of GPA requirements. They really went out of their way to recruit me rather than just let me slide by. Students have many opportunities to tour the campus and sit in on classes before enrollment. Almost ever major has some sort of internship/realy life experience you must complete before graduation, leaving you very prepared for your future career.

Murray State University sparked my interest and made my school choice that much easier because the students and staff are some of the respectful and supporitve people I've ever got the chance to meet. Murray State location and feel is very student friendly and makes for such an easy place to get use to and causes you to be the best person you can be. Another aspect about Murray State University that makes it unique is the various types of degrees and career paths students can choose from that is not like anything I've ever seen before.

We have many unique things about Murray State. First, at our football games, everytime we score a touchdown Racer One (A horse) runs around the track. Secondly, We have a "Shoe Tree" which is a tree on campus with shoes nailed to it with dates on them. If people meet at Murray and get married, it is tradition to nail a shoe to the tree with their wedding date. Finally, we have "All Campus Sing" which is a singing competition help outside on the steps of Lovett Auditorium. I have participated in it last year and will again this spring.

Murray State University is unique in the fact that some of the programs allow students to attend community college and the university at the same time while pursuing his/her degree. Murray State has one of the top rated basketball teams around and people drive for miles to sit in the stands and watch the athletes play. Murray State takes their role in providing students with the best education very seriously and truly care about the students. They go out of their way to ensure students get the help they need.

Murray State University is a awesome college. Murray is just the right size for someone who is not comfortable with big places. Murray is one of the nicest colleges you will every see. Everyone is nice and welcoming when the new year starts. There is no where else that I would want to be when beginning my jouney into college. I have already met many friends that I will remeber for the rest of my life. If someone were to ask my opinion of what college I would recommend I would suggest Murray State University.

I love the fact that it is a smaller school, and that the atmosphere is so welcoming. The staff there genuinely care about the students and how they are doing. The town that it is located in is welcoming as well, and has even earned the friendliest small town in America title given by USA Today Travel. The overall feel of the school is that of a friendly atmosphere where they will make sure that you will be taken care of and have fun, and will be given an excellant education while you are at it.

The reason why I considered attending Murray State University is because it is a small 4-year college and the tuition isn't very high. I like being in small classes because then you get more attention from your professors and the enviroment is one on one. The school is the perfect distance away from home, 4 hours away, close enough to drive, but far enough to give me a sense of independence. The campus enviroment is easy to get around with modest means of transportation.