Murray State University

« See more reviews of Murray State University

The costs of certain details at the school seem too exaggerated, such as how they attempt to charge for everything within the school. Parking passes are considerably too much when compared to all the tickets they write. Another problem is how they excuse the rise in tuition; by stating that it is because they aren't making money. My main problem with that is that they continue to build buildings all over the place instead of remodeling the current ones, so of course they won't have any money in reserve that can be used for student enhancement.

The worst thing about Murray State University would be the public smoking. Smoking is restricted inside, and for only certain areas outside. Although there are designated smoking areas, however students and faculty smoke among the major walkways along campus. This I think is not fair to students and other people visiting the university, because it gives the university a bad image. With cigarette butts among the ground, and having smoke being blown into your face, is not a highlight of being a student at Murray State University.

The worst thing about Murray State is the stigma placed on the school due to the size of the town that it is located in. When applying for schools, most students will look at the size of the town and autmatically mark MSU off of their list. The campus makes up the majority of the city. However, Murray State deligently makes an effort to entice their students to stay on campus during the weekends, and to come back year after year. It's not the town that should form the college environment, it's the people.

I would consider the worst thing about my school to be parking for students on campus. As a freshman last year i was required to park at the university stadium which is a long walk away from the dorms. I felt unsafe walking from my car to the rest of campus on nights and afternoos that I made trips to my car. Being a sophomore this year I will be allowed to park at the dorms but parking is limited. I think parking for students that choose to live on campus should be more convient and aware of our safety.

I love Murray State it is all I hoped it would be but the one thing I dislike and consider to be the worst thing is the housing situations. They have two brand new dorms and one reinovated dorm which are very nice. All the other dorms are very old and need alot of work. Since there are only 3 very nice dorms it is very difficult to get into them. The two new ones are also very pricey. I wish Murray State would do little things to the older dorms to spruce them up and make them more enjoyable.

The thing that is the worst about this school is that there are no quiet comfortable places to study. The comfortable furniture in the library is on the loud floor and the quiet floor is uncomfortable. The study lounges in the dorm have the most uncomfortable furniture found outside of church pews. And the dorms are too loud; people screaming, dropping stuff, or running up and down the hallyways all the time. It makes studying difficult.

I love the campus of Murray State University, yet I have to drive an hour to take classes. There is a campus located in the town where I live but they limit the type of classes offered there. I am an adult student, so I have a different perspective than most students. I balance working full time, a family life, and a student life. This school needs to be more friendly to adult learners especially in the economy we are encountering now.

I would consider the worst thing about Murray State University to be the high costs of everything about this college. Everything from tutition costs, to residential college costs, to meal plans, to textbooks, and even something simple as ten cents a page to print something off in the library and computer labs. College kids are stereotyped as being poor already, and Murray State University doesn't help with this image.

The difficulty in attending Murray State comes directly form a lack of an Urban setting. Under four hours, one can reach Nashville, Saint Louis, or Louisville; without a truly close city, it becomes difficult to engage in activities. The experiences at Murray State are created by the individuals attending, and not the surrounding cities.. The city of Murray is a relatively conservative and small town.

The town is very small and there is nothing to do there. Luckily Paducah is only about 20-30 minutes away and there is a mall there and more things to do. Also, it is what some consider a "moist" county. They do not sell alcohol in stores but it can be ordered at a restaurant. For beer a person must drive 30 minutes away and for liquor a person must drive 1 hour away and bring it back.