Murray State University

« See more reviews of Murray State University

Several factors are included in selecting colleges: affordability, location, quality of facilities, etc... The colleges that are best suited for potential students are the colleges that have made the best blend of these factors. When selecting a college, it is critical that one is informed about economic situations that could hinder progress. The ratio of cost of living/tuition to scholarship and financial aid available can ultimately devastate or enhance a collegiate career. America's schools are quite decorated, but a closer look reveals the difficulty of today's economy. Asking current students/parents will eliminate several bad decisions. The college experiences include growing socially as well as academically. The location of a school will affect the experience. Will these experiences generate from city life or a more simple setting? Resources to supplement the academic career are made available based on location. Prompt access to family/loved ones can also help eliminate any problems. The quality of campus facilities gives good insight to the upcoming years. Great facilities will provide for nonhazardous housing situations. Cleaner campuses allude to safer communities. Great wellness and fitness facilities can allow for great personal health. When searching for colleges, look beyond general education.

Tomiwa, I know this seems bizarre. You're probably in school, wondering why you're taking the Cambridge exams. You've got a lot on your plate. But I need you to know some things. About college. Just give me... less than 200 words. That's all. So here we go. First thing I want to go over is Computer Science. It's your firs choice fo college, and you haven't started research. Yeah, it's never too early. Trust me, you don't know half as much as you think. What I will tell you: learn programming. Start early. Save yourself lots in the future. Secondly, extra curriculars. You think it's nonsense. Why bother when you could be studying, right? I will tell you this, extra curriculars and community activities are a s important as your degree. They look good on a resume. Most importantly,start getting ready. It seems you have all the time right now, but the sooner you start, the better. The better prepared you are, the quicker you will sync with college life. And don't forget to live a little. College means being the best you can. That's all. Tomiwa (2014).

There are so many things you need to know. First off, do not become immersed in the hardships, crossroads, and sad times going on bak home. As well, do not become overwhelmed with the 'college life'. Don't succumb to pressure to drink or go to parties, they are not what will fulfill your life and bring you happiness. Enjoy and take part in campus activities and ministry groups. Use this special time in your life to make friends, make mistakes and learn from them, and most of all, enjoy life. Laugh. Cry. Live. Love everything that surrounds you, don't let negative thoughts or people bring you down. College is an exciting journey with many opputunities, hardships, and joys along the road. Take every positive oppurtunity that comes your way. Explore the culture of diverse students around you. Volunteer your time to help those in need. Take part in activities, lectures, plays, and events around campus. Overall, embrace being a young adult that was lucky to get the oppurtunity to go to college; explore every positive aspect of your new environment. Most of all though, love yourself and live your life the way that makes you happy.

College is a very personal decision. There are individuals who immediately know, or have known, where they want to go to school. There are also individuals who struggle to decide what college or university is best for them. It is a decision that cannot be rushed, and it is a decision that must be made for oneself. Use resources to find the college for you. Guidance counselors are available, the internet has many search engines, and take those colleges visits. Always remember where you choose is not where you have to stay; there are always other options, and it never hurts to ask someone for advice. Take a risk, it will either be worth the risk or you will learn a very valuable lesson on your journey. Go on the journey; the experience one receives at a university cannot be established any other way. It is a time for individual growth, fun and knowledge. College allows the discoveries of oneself, other cultures, education, and life survival skills. Take the good with the bad; learn from your mistakes, and do not allow them to be made twice. Do not be scared. Put yourself out there and live life to the fullest.

You don't yet know what you want from life, a profession, or your college experience. You shouldn't feel insecure about not knowing these things yet & people who say differently have unrealistic expecations of you. Immediately declare a major you like, it will give focus. Remember, it's alright to change your major. Trust mom's advice, but don't let it define you. Making friends with the same type of people you've known before is easy, but remember, you have always had to wear your "mask" with them. Your environment so far has been more isolated than you were led to believe, this fact should not be underestimated. Making good friends will require taking your "mask" off. Meet the outcasts, they're more philosophical, but stay conscious of your naivete. Be uncomfortable, it will help you mature. Develop a strong, healthy group of friends early on. 50% of succeeding in life is following others' directions, you're going to be held responsible for the other 50%. You're creative & many are not, this isn't a weakness, it's a strength. Break up with your boyfriend, it will not work out; go to events alone, stay safe.

The advice that I would give myself as a high school student, approaching the threshold of college life, would be to participate. I would encourage them to take an active role in the determination of their future, especially when it comes to funding their ambitions and education, and to get involved in the community in a more social way. As a high school student I was introvert and slow to make friends. The tendencies that developed during this time have continued into the present, and in retrospect, has caused me to miss out in life; So, taking my current condition into account, participation would have been a good way for me to break these trends, and develop a foundation of affability and involvement, aiding me in the social transitions between a school of 150 students and a university of 10,000 students. If I had received and followed through with this advice, my life at the moment could be different; I might have received a scholarship, and I could have enjoyed my high school years to a further degree than what I did. Hopefully, by following my own advice I will have a better time during my college years.

I would do my best on the SATs and ACTs to boost my chance to receive more scholarships from schools for which I would apply. Finance was one of the major reasons that led me choose MSU, which offered more scholarships than any other schools, and sometimes I wondered whether I would have gone to a more prestigious school, had I been guaranteed the same--or better--financial support from other schools. However, I would give myself this piece of advice: no matter where you end up--whether the school is presitigious or not--, the degree of satisfaction in college depends on how you make up your mind to be. You can always find all kinds of fascinating opportunities to enrich your experiences in college--you just have to explore it yourself. So before you grumble about how small and mediocre your school is, look around to see some amazing aspects of your school about which you didn't know, and start imagining how great it would be to your advantage to intergrade those awesome factors into your life! There are always interesting things to explore in college, and you will be sorry if you don't start it now.

I would definitely give myself the advice to try alot harder. Getting better grades can definitely get you more money and scholarships and the university I decided to go to requires you to have alot of money. College life is very hard when all your worries are focused on money and working a job every night of the week to pay off loans is not fun. I would also tell myself to not worry so much about my social life in high school as i should of been worrying about applying for scholarships and getting letters of recommendation and volunteering more often. Volunteering in high school is important because getting alot of scholarships requires you to have so many volunteer hours. The transition between high school and college is extreme depending on where you go. Your parents are no longer by your side to guide you in all of your decisions. I would tell high school senior me to try harder at making more decisions for myself instead of falling back on my parents everytime something doesnt go my way. Going to college takes alot of work and every high schooler should start looking into it as a freshman.

Extensive pressure is put on high school students about finding the 'right fit' in a college. Although I do recommend finding a place that suits you, many are led to believe that can only be one place. Decide first the approximate size of student body you want and what kind of area would be desirable to live for the next four years. Look at the programs you are interested in and how you see them shaping your future. Cost is important and careful consideration should be taken to look at scholarships. Imagine your life immediatly after college and how freeing it would be to have little or no debt but do not compromise the quality of education for this feeling. DON'T STRESS! You are not married to the school you start out at. Find somewhere you'll like spending time and take social life into consideration-The coffee shop on the corner you'll snuggle up in on Saturday's ... and the exchange student that will broaden your horizons. Be optimistic about the new people you'll meet and the things you'll learn, not only in lecture but the first 8 times you scorch your microwavable macaroni dinner!

In my experience I would advise high school students to begin looking for college starting their junior year. Also, a student should know before hand what exactly they want out of the college and what major they are leaning towards in order to choose the best college with the best program. I advise all students to move away from home and attend college by either living on campus or in an apartment. This way a student gets the entire college experience and is not conflicted with having to live at home under parental rules. When researching colleges I advise to research each college thoroughly and then plan a college visit and tour. This way you know most about the college and any questions you have can be answered there on campus. For anyone wanting to go to a college out of state find colleges that offer tuition waivers or regional tuitions. This cuts down on costs significantly. I would also advise parents to be supportive of their child as he or she searches for the right college. It is a one of the first adult decisions a person makes and its best to be supported by your family.