Murray State University Top Questions

MacKenzie

I would tell myself to apply for and do whatever I could to make myself stand out for scholarship purposes. Education is very expensive. This is something I did not think alot about when I was a senior. Schools say that they have tons of money to give to students, but I use never or barely get money from my school. Also, I would tell myself to make sure that you are prepared to study a lot more then you had to in high school, and to remember that your education is the main priority.

Mary, don't back yourself into a corner because of preconceived notions about what you like and are good at. Try out some of the life sciences, they are extremely interesting and useful. Be yourself, and search for good friends. Don't try to blend in with the crowd when you don't agree; standing out is not something to be feared, it is an opportunity to spread the light. Remember, though, home is always just a phone call away, and don't forget to call Grandpa. He will always have time for you.

McKenna

If I could go back and talk to my high-school self I would tell myself to go into college as an undelared major. I have changed my major 3 times and am finally happy with my current major; journalism! I would just imagine it would be easier to complete all the general education credits before starting major specific classes. I would also tell my high-school self to do what YOU think is best. College is going to be a time when you have to make your own way and develop yourself as your own independent person. You are making your own desicions that will effect YOU, no one else. Just keep swimming!

Samia

The biggest hurdle I had to contend with was balancing my social life with study time and work. During high school all I did was school work and work at my part-time job. And even then I didn't have to study rigorously. Going to college presented a problem when I started socializing more and make more friends than I ever imagined. It was often difficult to prioritize. The best advice I could give to myself now would be, learn how to study effectively and limit my socialzing to the important things. Also most of all, not to forget the passion and ambition I went into college for, that would end up being what drives me to succeed in the most difficult of times.

I would tell me highschool self to learn how to study. Also learn how to manage your time wisely and turn your homework in on time. I never had to study in high school because I didn't take hard classes. Studying is a skill that every college freshmen needs to learn. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and keep applying for them. I didn't apply for schollarships and I still owe on this years tuition. A thousand dollars would have been nice to help pay off those final debts of freshman year.

Meredith

If by chance I could go back and give myself advice it wouldn’t be a plan or an outline of exactly what to do. I have learned so much about myself and the big world with every decision and “mistake” I have made, I needed to learn those life lessons. From transition from a senior to a freshman in college I wish someone had told me it would all be okay; as silly as that might sound I was so freighted to attend college it gave me anxiety and made me very self-conscious. Watching my peers always having confidence in themselves and decisions they had made was really scary when I constantly questioned my own. I needed to hear that I could do it my own way, make my own decisions and then remake them again if I needed to. I wish I could have told myself not to put the pressure of the world on my shoulders. If I could give my 18 year old self advice it would be words of encouragement to a more than bewildered little girl….. Ohh and maybe not to take advanced math class during summer session.

Derek

The transition to college is an exciting yet nerve-wracking time for every college freshmen. No longer are they big fishes in a small pond; rather, in college they become normal fishes in a huge ocean. But the transition need not be a tumultuous time in someone’s life. If I had the chance to meet myself during my senior year in high school, the overall advice I would give him is to relax and get to know other freshman and the campus itself. Out of every type of student in college, the best chances to make new friends lie in other freshmen. Like my counterpart, other freshmen are just as nervous about the transition to college. Reaching out to them may create an everlasting friendship. And knowing the campus itself is a good stress relieving method. Knowing where every class is at, along with popular campus attractions, can help ease my past self’s mindset.

Cheyanna

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to study a little harder and to work a little harder on my extra curriculars so that I may qualify for my dream school a little sooner and that college is not a game, as well as taking student loans. And that when you take a student loan maybe you do not think about it for a very long time but you do have to pay them back at some point, so stay focused and try to get a job. And most of all enjoy college to the fullest.

Dear Elizabeth, People may have told you that high school is the best time of your life, but they lied. College is amazing! Every aspect about it is better than high school. You will love joining a sorority and you will make so many amazing new friends! People complain that living in the dorms is terrible, but you will love having a roommate and meeting all the awesome people who live in your building! You will enjoy being away from home and making decisions for yourself. College is wonderful and you should make the most of it while your there! However, there are a few things no one told you that you should also know. You will get homesick. Sometimes you'll be lonely even when you are surrounded by people. It is okay to change your major. And the freshman fifteen are a real thing! College won't always be perfect, but it will be an amzing journey. Enjoy your last year of high school, but be prepared for the real best years of your life!

Dannis

If I could go back and help myself prepare, I would tell myself to learn and adapt better study skills and time management. In college it is easy to get away and begin to forget about what is really important. It is important to stay focused on school and remember that right now it should be at the top of my priorities. While it is important to have a job and save money or pay for college, you have to be sure to first set apart time to study and just enjoy being in college. College life is fun, but it's also very short. I would remind myself of how quickly time passes and that it is important not only to study and have a job, but to have a good, safe time!

The advice I would give myself is to not jump staright into a 4 year university. If i could have done things a lot differently I would of started at a community college to get my basics out of the way and then moved to a 4 year college to get the rest out of the way.

You don't yet know what you want from life, a profession, or your college experience. You shouldn't feel insecure about not knowing these things yet & people who say differently have unrealistic expecations of you. Immediately declare a major you like, it will give focus. Remember, it's alright to change your major. Trust mom's advice, but don't let it define you. Making friends with the same type of people you've known before is easy, but remember, you have always had to wear your "mask" with them. Your environment so far has been more isolated than you were led to believe, this fact should not be underestimated. Making good friends will require taking your "mask" off. Meet the outcasts, they're more philosophical, but stay conscious of your naivete. Be uncomfortable, it will help you mature. Develop a strong, healthy group of friends early on. 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of succeeding in life is following others' directions, you're going to be held responsible for the other 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. You're creative & many are not, this isn't a weakness, it's a strength. Break up with your boyfriend, it will not work out; go to events alone, stay safe.

There is nothing you can really do to prepare for the stress, and the joy, of college life. What I would tell my high school self is that everything works out in the exact right way. Fill out college applications, fill out scholarship applications, work hard to get into the school that you want to get into, but don't get disheartened if something didn't turn out precisely how you planned it would. Everything works out in the exact right way. The college you go to will be more than just a school to you. College is your place to find great, long lasting friendships, your place to date a few cute guys, your place to be on your own for the first time, your place to find yourself. The college you go to will be your home for the next four years, and honestly it will go by a lot faster than you would like. Sure you will fail a couple tests and skip a couple classes along the way, but don't worry. Everything works out in the exact right way.

I would give myself the advice to take more AP classes for college credit. I would tell myself to start building a budget, and to start saving as much money as possible. I would encourage myself to be more involved so I could open myself up to other opportunities more. I would also tell myself to mentally and emotionally prepare for the distance of being away.

If I could write a letter to myself, I would tell her to not blink. I would tell her to not worry about growing up too fast. I would tell her that in a year from now your boyfriend cheating on you wouldn't matter because there is a better guy in your future. I would tell her to take in every last football game she was cheering in. That was the last year I would ever be cheering and I wish I could go back. I would tell her not to worry about deciding on a college; in the end you will pick the perfect university. I would tell her to have fun and relax. It will go so fast. I would tell her to thank thank Mr. Gavin everyday. No one would of guessed that our last day of high school would be the day he takes his last breath. I would tell myself to spend all of my free time with my mother, she is the MOST important person in your life and always will be. I would also tell her to save every penny: college is expensive!

If I was gifted with the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would take the opportunity to tell myself to stop being so caught up with what other people think of me and truly be genuine to who I was. Coming into college I was excited about the chance to be whoever I wanted to be but trying to reinvent myself from the person I had grown up in high school to be resulted in discontentment and misery. It wasn't until a friend introduced me to the true Gospel of Jesus Christ that I understood that I had identity outside of what other people thought of me that I was able to look at the world with joy and live my life as the person I was created to me. I would tell my 18 year old self to take a look at my own heart, realize that Jesus loves me for who I am and then live to be that person to His glory. This would have made the transition into college much easier and I would have developed lasting frienships from the begging of school rather than delaying them.

Elizabeth, You know that boy you're thinking about? He's not worth your time. You know that test you didn't do well on? It's not worth the worry. You know the bullshit you have to deal with at work? It's not worth your energy. You know about the family complications? It's not worth losing sleep over. The only thing that you need to focus on is yourself and what makes you happy. That means taking a weekend off of work and putting the books down to go out with your friends, spend time with your sister, and make memories. Your little sister won't be so little soon and she will miss and need you appreciate it while you can. Keep your standards high in college. Get out of your comfort zone and meet new friends. Work Study. Party. Laugh. Nobody is as good at being you, xcept you. You're going to go through rough times, but the good ones make up for it. You're well loved here at MSU. You have people who have your back and will help you up when you fall. So smile. You're prettier that way. Elizabeth

Summer

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, advice that I would give myself would be to research the different colleges that are out there. Make sure I know what degree I want to pursue and stick with it. Make appointments to attend the colleges for visits to learn more about how that specific college works. Get involved by asking college students to give me one line of advice as a prospective student. Research to find out how long it will take to receive the degree I have chosen. Get an estimate of all related college costs. Make a financial plan and stay with it. Always order used books or rent because it does save money. I would say to take the first semester after high school off and after that go full time. If summer classes were an option, I would choose to take one class online every summer to finish my degree early. It pays off. The final piece of advice I would give is to make sure the classes I am enrolled in will count towards my degree and not to enroll in any that won't.

Dear Madison, I would like to commend you on trying to get yourself ready for college by taking all of the A.P classes that were offered at you high school! It will truly make college easier, altleast in the begining. I know you mom is constantly telling you that you need to learn to do laundry and cook simple meal and you keep pushing it back....DON'T! Go ahead and get comfortable with those simple daily duties. Plan you time wisely. That has been my biggest ajustment at college. I was always a late studier and doing homework last minute. Big mistake to do that at college because everything will pile up quick. As soon as you know an assignment start it and finish as soon as possible. Fortunately, I had a few professors that helped get me on track with leniency. Get involved with your campus clubs and campus sports as much as possible. Its a great way to meet friends and future study buddies! Thank your teachers before you leave because even though you thought everything you were doing was stupid they have totally prepared you for college! Go MCHS!

Alayna

Transitioning from high school to college is an experience unlike any other. The emotional mix of excitement and nerves can leave a person feeling overwhelmed. However, whether going away from home or attending a local college or university, the possibilities your future holds are endless. College is all about experiencing new things, stepping outside of your comfort zone, and striving for the best. When the anxiety from change brews in your stomach, remember; every incoming freshman is in the same situation: new surroundings, new people, new opportunities. So go out and try things you otherwise wouldn’t, take chances, and strive to be your best. Don’t worry about how you look or what others will think of you, any thoughts of negativity will keep you from pursuing your dreams. Talk to everyone that crosses your path because just like you, everybody’s looking for new friendships and experiences. Most importantly be yourself and strive for want you want like never before. Lastly, always remember why you are attending college—for the education, so make it count!

If i could go back in time as a high schooler, in my senior year I would tell myself to enjoy high school while you still can becasue once it is over there is no going back. I wouldn't tell myself to change anything because I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that if I hadent made the choices I have in the past I wouldn't be the man I am today.

diamond

The first advice would be to take the time to figure out exactly what career field I am interested in pursing. This would help in the decision of which college I would be attended. I feel that is very important to do research before attending a college because this college will determine your success for the future. Research each colleges' programs and what they offer to their student. Make sure college of choice is affordable. Try to stay away from loans and if needed apply to as much scholarships as possible. Also, college requires a lot of hard work and dedication. As a college, you must gear yourself for the amount of material and work that you would be receiving throughout your college years. It is very important to get all the help from professors and additional help of tutors that are provided to help you with your work if needed. Give yourself time to go over materials learning after every class. This would help in preparation of papers and exams.

As a high school senior take into account the type of college you really want. Do you want a college that is extremely expensive and will be paying off for years and years? A small town college where you get a degree with paying a small percentage of the cost while living at home? Another thing all high school seniors need to know is to sign up for as many scholarships and grants as humanly possible. However, the most important thing to remember when entering college is to not stress; you have worked twelve years to get to this one place. Have fun and don't freak out about every assignment. It's not as scary as people make it out to be.

I would advise myself that college is very different from high school and it will take more effort but, it will be worth it to gain the knowledge and to have a good education from a reputable college on your resume.

Logan

Focus on the things that are going to get you somewhere in life. Sports aren't as important as they seem, and grades are everything in this world wether you like it or not. So, stick your head in the books and work on that GPA so that you can put your name in the hat as a credible applicant for scholarships. Time goes faster than you think and the harder you work now, the easier life will be later.

Devon

Do not take your teachers words for granted. Start getting used to bringing school work home. Practice being open minded and accepting of other people, and finally, fill out every possible scholarship application you can find.

Dawson

If I had the opportunity to go back to my senior year of high school and speak to myself and others about how to tranisition into college and be succesful I would say this, " I know you have doubts about college. You have been told that you are not smart enough, that you dont have enough money, and your standardized tests scores are not acceptable to become a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or anything else that you truly desire to go to school to be. I am here to say that you have been lied to. You alone are the only person that defines who your going to be and what your going to do with your life. In order to sucessfully transition into college and live the life of your dreams you need to do three things; believe that you are capable of doing anything, work hard, and be determined. If you will do these three things, I will assure that you will find a way to pass any class within any degree, find finacial resources to help pay tution through scholorships, and most importantly you will feel great about yourself and enjoy your time as a college student.

Lorraine

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE PARTY!!!!, unless i want to retire from flipping burgers futhering my education is probably the most important thing after H/S graduation. DO NOT FEAR it is eaiser than you are thinking, YES, I AM CAPABLE i can pass the classes.

do not get behind in collage. have a schedule and look at your sylibus every day. if you do your best and then you will suceed. there are people here to help you but you have to put fourth the effort.

Oluwatomiwa

Tomiwa, I know this seems bizarre. You're probably in school, wondering why you're taking the Cambridge exams. You've got a lot on your plate. But I need you to know some things. About college. Just give me... less than 200 words. That's all. So here we go. First thing I want to go over is Computer Science. It's your firs choice fo college, and you haven't started research. Yeah, it's never too early. Trust me, you don't know half as much as you think. What I will tell you: learn programming. Start early. Save yourself lots in the future. Secondly, extra curriculars. You think it's nonsense. Why bother when you could be studying, right? I will tell you this, extra curriculars and community activities are a s important as your degree. They look good on a resume. Most importantly,start getting ready. It seems you have all the time right now, but the sooner you start, the better. The better prepared you are, the quicker you will sync with college life. And don't forget to live a little. College means being the best you can. That's all. Tomiwa (2014).

Johana

In High School kids think that they already know everything about how the" real world" works and how it functions. If I could go back in time to my high school days I would tell myself, " Girl, you do not know what is waiting for you out there in the real world, try your hardest to aim for a good score on the ACT/SAT because getting a high score can help you get better scholarships and grants". I made the mistake of taking the ACT only one time thinking that the score that I got was good enough to get me into college. See I could have gone the extra mile and gone to tutoring and asked my teachers for help in my weak subjects but I did not do that and now I regret it. I would also tell myself get ready because you are going to be independent and you will have to grow up pretty quickly. My college transition was difficult because I was not sure of what degree program I wanted to pursure so I spent a lot of time doing research and quickly learning how to become the responsibe adult that I am today.

It's okay to feel nervous and anxious about college, both socially and academically. There are many other freshmen who feel the same way. Numerous opportunities to make friends will naturally present itself to you, so don’t be hesitant to approach people. Oftentimes the classes offered for freshmen contain many individuals around the same age or in the same major, so it eases the transition into a new environment and the availability of friends. There are many resources available to socially and academically assist students. There exist various offices and workers dedicated solely to the advancement of students, willing to provide assistance whenever help is needed. Free tutoring is available for when you need that extra help, but just remember to use a planner to keep up with assignments and classes. So don’t worry too much. As long as you do your work and be attentive in class, everything should be fine.

I would tell myself that I made the right decision. Do not stress over what you have yet to experience because it will all work out. Murray State University really is the best of both worlds. You can meet new people each semester if you so choose or you can stay right where you feel comfortable with your close friends from the beginning. The program I am in could not be any better and companies are already contacting me as a Sophomore for internships and post graduate jobs. Enjoy this last bit of highschool but you will have a blast in college.

Make better grades because it is free money. Do not slack off and try your best.

Don't rush going to school. Applying yourself without focus will be a mistake for you. Learn what it is that you LOVE first and LEARN about it. Explore the possibilities that life has to offer you. Don’t be afraid to pursue what it is that you want. You have the ability to do ANYTHING that you want to. Things aren’t exact what you want them to be right now, but it will be fine. I want you to be honest with others and most importantly yourself. You know who you are and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Hear that voice inside of you and LISTEN to it. It won’t lead you astray or lie. People will change, YOU will change, people will come and go and you will be fine with it. When you finally do decide to go to school, because you will, learn more than what’s being taught in class. Learn about the people, the cultures, and the backgrounds from where the people that you will meet come from. The experiences that you will have will be with you forever and they will help you for the rest of your life.

Memry

I would make sure to live in the dorms longer and attend MSU first instead of a community college.

I would tell myself not to worry. I am the biggest worrier, and college has only made that worse. If I could tell my high school self anything, it would be that things will happen the way they are supposed to, and in the end, everything will be okay. On the first day of class, do not worry about making friends, do not worry about not being good enough, do not worry about not being smart enough, just go in there and do your best. Life is going to be full of surprises, but you cannot control any of them. Take what life gives you and keep pushing through.

Gregory

While I perceive college life to be relatively similar to my time as a high school senior, there are some key changes that I would have advised myself to make in the transition. In high school I rarely had to study to make good grades. However, I have come to realize that in college more dedication is required to yield the same results. It was for this reason that my first semester was so rocky. In addition, I would have also told myself to find a job that would work more cohesively with my class schedule. Even though I was able to graduate third in my class, my high school awarded students with the highest GPA's. Since I had taken multiple AP classes and received a few B's, students that had taken traditional classes and recieved A's were rewarded more. This made my financial aid assistance nearly nonexistent, which in turn required me to pay for my college myself. Ever since I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had to fight off subsequent diseases and illnesses I have tried to make the most of the life I've been given. I would advise myself to continue.

If i were to go back to my high school self as a senior, there are many things i'd love to advice myself on. I would advice myself not to focus to much on love life. It is distracting, and a lot changes when you leave. I would tell myself to focus more on how to take proper notes and to study. I would advise myself to pay attention to how to appropriapetly write and cite essays. I would advise myself to choose friends wisely who will stick to me in college but not consume me, so i could make new ones. i would advise myself to thank my teachers more for helping me prepare for a sudden change in lifestyles and school. Also i would adivse my self to apply to many many scholarships and grants, so that i could have enough money to pay not only for tuition but for books, food, and housing. I would adivise myself to speak to my parents and set quidelines with them on when we should call each other. Mostly i would advise my self to reach out and get involved. Thats what makes college an amazing and smooth experience.

First thing that I would do if I could go back, is that I would give myself a pat on the back for taking such rigourous courses in high school. Academicll, I prepared myself well for college. I would then proceed to tell myself to start mentally preparing myself for being out on my own. That is probably the biggest change I have underwent over the past several months, is becoming more independent and learning alot of life lessons, sometimes the hard way. Life doesnt always work out like you want it to, or like it is supposed to. All you can do is find a solution to any problems you may recieve and then overcome them. Use the help that other people offer. I would tell myself to stay strong minded and strong willed, and to never give up on my dreams. I would remind myself that my biggest enemy is fear, and to not let my fear disrupt my journey to being where I want to be. I would tell myself that it is all up to me.

Drew

Do not fear, for Jesus Christ is faithful.

As a college freshman, there are so many things to have thought about. Getting adjusted is the biggest part of the new "college experience". You will go through a lot from missing home, meeting new people, living somewhere new, and having a roomate you may not know. If I were giving myself advice about college, I would say just don't worry to much about everything. Worring just won't help. Then when it comes to the weekends, yes it's ok to go home every few weeks to see family and friends. Do stay on the weekends though because it is fun and you can get closer to the friends you have made. That is all part of the experience and knowing you can have fun and hangout with your friends after classes and on the weekends is important, of course getting all of your work done as well.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, it would revolve around getting involved at college. I am an introverted pre-medical student. My primary concern is my GPA, MCAT score, and gaining acceptance to medical school. Because of this, I have done a terrible job getting involved on campus. Originially, I thought getting involved meant "going greek" and binge drinking every other night. I am beginning the second half of my Junior year at Murray and have finally began to get involved. College is tough. You need all the help you can get to stay sane through it. I have found that getting involved on campus is not just for fun. It is helpful also. As a senior in high school, I did not realize this. However, now I am involved in the Pre-Health Professionals club on campus, and it is already making my life significantly easier. Getting involved is not all about partying. It will help you with your grades, happiness level, and satisfaction with your lifestyle.

Tiana

I would go back and tell myself to practice time management skills to better prepare myself with making it to class on time, studying, doing homework, and extracurricular activities. I would also encourage myself to take as many AP and college credit classes to probably prepare for what college is like, since high school and college is totally different, and less classes i would have to take since I took them in high school. Last but not least, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!! Do and turn in all assignments on time whenever they are due and pay close attention to the syllabus while in college. And have fun, but work does come first.

Krista

I would tell myself to take more college classes because when the time comes more credits are going to help. I would also tell myself to enjoy my time and hang out with my friends as much as possible because time flys by. I never realized it until i was in college that i do not get to see my old friends as much as I want to. I would also tell myself to live in the moment and not to be affraid to ask question and get help. When I was in high school I was shy and quiet. If I had a question I would not ask it because I would be nervous someone would make fun of me. Now that I think about it high school was one of the best times of my life and the worst at the same time. I expreienced who I was and the person I wanted to be in high school and I will never forget the people who have got me where I am today.

lauren

If i could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior and give myself college advice i would tell myself to make as many connections as possible. You cannot get everything done for college on your own you are gonna need help. Also i would tell myself not to wait for other people to get things done, you have to be persistent and keep calling and checking to make sure the things get done that needs to be.

I would tell myself that I need to set a schedule of when my classes, when to study, and when I have free time. That that is the only way you will be able to make it through college. You need to set up times when to study and actually stick to that schedule. You have to study or you will not make it through college. It is no where like high school.

Dusty

I was a high school drop out who got my GED. I would tell myself not to make that choice. Life can be so hard and I only made it harder on myself by not finishing school. Not only that but returning to school after I had a family to raise was very difficult. I would tell myself to have the best opportunities this life has to offer finish high school and get a degree first. Everything else will come. there is no need to rush through your life because there are no "do overs".

Follow your heart instead of trying to impress your friends.

I would advise to be as involved as you can. Make the most of every opportunity you are presented. These are four of the best years of your life, and you should make the most of them. These four years help shape you as a person and create the path of your future career. Balance is the key. Grades should always a priority in your life. I'm attending medical school next fall, and if I hadn't have valued grades all of my four years, I would not have gotten accepted. However, there is so much more to college than just your grades. I joined many clubs and organizations which gave me experiences that I can carry on with me for the rest of my life. Experience a different religion. Talk to someone with another political belief than you. Know why you believe and think the things you do. These are four years you become you, and never sell yourself short of that experience.