Murray State University

« See more reviews of Murray State University

Upon entering Murray State's Music Program, it was not clear to me the amount of financial aid and scholarship available. With a struggling economy, one can see why accounts and financial aid awards have diminished. I have a 4.0. It was discouraging to have recently discovered that I received only departmental scholarships and no University scholarships. This makes it very difficult to continue my success. I work 20+ hours a week to supplement the deficiency. The distributing of scholarships seems to be lacking in effeciency.

I wish I scheduled myself for fewer classes my first and second semester. Studying and being successful in class in college is very different from high school. I wish I allowed myself extra time to get into the groove of learning at a more thorough and deeper pace. Also, I wish I picked one or two student organizations and became active in those, instead of signing up for everything . Later in my college career I got to know some people through the BCM (Baptist Student Ministry) and that turned out to be a great experience.

Before I began attending college I heard only of the challenges that would ensue, both socially and academically. I wish someone beforehand had told me it was okay to feel nervous and that there were many others who would feel the same way. Oftentimes the classes offered for college freshmen contain many around the same age, easing the transition into a new environment and the availability of friends. There are also many offices and workers dedicated solely to the advancement of students, willing to provide assistance.

I wish I would have realized my academic potential in high school. I was nominated for Who's Who during the 2011-2012 year, and have consecutively been on the Dean's list. I am a student ambassador, and I am focused on my academic studies. During high school, I did not perform to the best of my abilities. I should have had more ambition. Education is the key to success, and I wish I would have realized it then. I am a proud mother of two beautiful girls, and I want to express to them the importance of education.

I wish I would have known about how many opportunities, activities and clubs there were to get involved with and that getting involved in such things was actually "cool". I thought that those things would be lame and that the people would likewise be lame but the environment and types of students her are all very genuine and a joy to be around! If I could do it all over again I would definitely put fortth an effort to get more involved in on campus activities and try to make friends outside of my sports team!

I wished I was more prepared of what college life would have been, and how I could have been more prepared with my living. I also wish I would have research more about the area my college is located, so I could see how different it was compared to where I am from. I also wish the different programs they offered in the summer that I could have been involved, so I could get to know people. I also wished I would have know what type of weather they experience in Kentucky, I could have been more prepared.

I wish I would have realized how much school work I would be given and the time it would take. I knew college wasn't all fun and games but at the beginning of the year I wish I would have known to plan my time wiser. Plannnig your time is very important and making a schedule in your agenda will keep you organized and help your grades in the long run. I didn't use my agenda at the begginning of the year and I caught myself cramming the night before assignments were do which was very stressful.

I wish I would have known to get know my prefessors more on a personal level sooner, that I had started a study group for each of my classes or got involved in one that had previously existed. I also wish that I would of known that I should have learned how to live be the montra " I'm going to have to get confortable with being uncomfortable." Lastly I wish that I of known that romen noodles will be my best friend and one of my only sources of food, so I should get use to the taste.

I wish I had known how difficult it would be for credits to transfer properly so I did not have to re-take multiple classes. I transferred to Murray State University after graduating from high school a semester early and attending a local community college in Illinois. While I thought it would be smart to take courses closer to home it ended up costing me more money in the long run; I wish I had known Kentucky and Illinois are one of the few states to not have a transfer agreement.

I wish I had known more about scholarships, and how to apply for them. I also wish I had been told how much living on campus differs from living off. Lastly, the most important thing I wish I had been told was to ask questions. Because in college, if you dont ask you may never get an answer. Sounds simple but it is extremely important. A lot of students dont get help, or dont learn something because they are afraid to ask and its a shame because it's not a hard thing to do.