Muskegon, MI
Muskegon Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Muskegon Community College

My classmates are very quiet and work on homework. They normally don't like to talk when we are sitting in class. But when class is over then that is when People start to come out and talk and sometimes there are groups where they are working on homework for that class. But most of the my classesmates are very indepentent.

I would give myself advice to take as many classes as you can possibly take in High School. Also Iwould have taken better notes in class. I would have told myself to push alittle harder so i know i can do better in college. I would also have wanted to get more help in math so i would not have to struggle in college with math. I would also have told myself to push myself to do better on anything the teacher assigned to you. I did good in high school but wish Icould have learned more while i was there.

I wish I had known that college is not like High School. College expects more out of you and try to teach you different styles of how to do the work. Also wish I knew that you had to put more time into your homework and that it takes alot of work. College takes alot of your time just to sit in class lectures and then time to do alll the homework you are assigned.

Phillip

Muskegon Community College is best knows for its small classrooms and cheap tuition.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would yell at "myself" for deciding not to dual enroll at the community college. Then, I would tell "myself" that next year he would have to pay $3000 for community college tuition without help from my parents. The high school would have paid for the classes I took! Another thing I would tell myself is to spend more time applying for scholarships. Every little bit of given money is helpful, and it all adds up in the end. Finally, I would tell "myself" to start going out of my way to meet new people. My group of high school friends very quickly changed, and I don't see them very often anymore. If I learn to meet new people, then I will have no problem making new friends in college.

When I tell me friends about my school, I will often comment on how easy it is to ask the professor for help. A majority of my friends are at large Universities, so naturally I talk about saving thousands of dollars that they have to spend on school. However, I want to go to MSU but I don't have enough money to pay tuition and my parents won't co-sign for a student loan.

Darineka

MCC has a variety of class courses to choose from.

MCC has a variety of class courses to choose from.

The very first advice I would give myself as a high school senior is to make sure you're financially stable for college. Back in high school I never had a job, but I did recieve some scholarships. However, if I would have learned more about affording to go to school then rather than now, I could have been in my first-choice university now. Second, I would tell myself to work hard, but don't stress yourself because you're still young and have a great future ahead of you. In high school all I ever did was study and work hard, but I pushed myself too hard and never had the time to relax and be myself with others. The last advice I would give myself is don't be scared thinking about how life is on big universites. That is really the reason why I stayed home to go to an community college rather than go to and university. Now that I know exactly how the university's life is like, I plan to transfer to a university in Chicago. That way, I'll still be in touch with my family and friends here in Michigan.

I tell my friends how small and quiet the school is, and how you don't have to walk a mile or two to get to your next class!

melanie

if i were able to travel back into time, i would tell myself to maintain my sense of getting it done now. there is a bad habit that one may pick up when going to college and that is procrastinating. procrastination has been the biggest obstacle while going to college. unless there is a well managed student i've seen even the most organized student procrastinate and turn in late work. if i were able to brush off procrastinating, i would have all A's in college, but because my reinforcment with procrastinating my homework, it comes immediately, and the reinforcement of getting my homework done in order to recieve a great grade in the class room comes later. although the reinforcement comes, it doesn't come quick enough. therefore, if i were able to go back in time, i would tell myself to stop procrastinating and get what i need to get done, done.

the classes are really hard to find, because of the floors being numbered wierdly but they don't take but five minutes to find if you are paying attention to the maps around the campus. and the food is high priced.

the credits will transfer to almost every other college in the u.s. unlike baker college whose credits may only transfer to ferris state university. the campus is beautiful, the staff is nice, the teachers are fair, and there are many places to study, and something else uniquely interesting, because the college was built on a river, the floors of the college are numbered backwards. its fun stuff.

Hawkins

Start preparing for the next level (college) during your H.S. JUNIOR year. Your last two years of high school are extremely critical to increasing your college choices and obtaining financial assistance. The process is extensive, the sooner you start the sooner you can make your choices, line up financial assistance and get ready to move to the next level. Enjoy your freshman year but don't under estimate the task ahead of you. One fatal mistake that many freshmen make, is to think college is all fun and games. You and your parents are paying a lot of money for you to attend college, don't be the one that finds yourselve at winter break, trying to figure out how to tell your parents about that 1.5 GPA! Here is a simple rule to follow, (SCHOOL FIRST - EVERYTHING ELSE LAST). Choose your friends wisely, everyone you meet WON'T be your friend. Your FRIENDS will study with you, they will understand missing a party or game because you have a test tomorrow and their education will be just as important to them as your is to you. Bottomline, START EARLY, STAY FOCUSED! Good Luck Hawkins Lang

MCC offers a great curriculum selection at a very reasonable cost. We have a unique campus the feature an unverted floor plan, all levels are at or below ground level which offers peace of mind during tornado season here in Michigan. MCC's extensive athletic program offers hundreds of opportunities for sports related scholarships, which often allows the financially challenged to persue there dream of higher education. And of course I am a JAYHAWK for life, GO JAYHAWKS!!

Muskegon is a small town that has very little to offer in the way of entertainment. It is also a city built on a manufacturing history, primarily in the automotive industry, which is all but none existance in this day and age. This has a negative impact on students that must work to survive, the unemployment rate for the city of Muskegon is the highest in the country at over 15.5%. MCC is a two year school, most students when asked, including myself, would like to see it upgraded to a four year program.

Michelle

First of all, Michelle, lose the unsupportive loser boyfriend that made you think that you weren't smart enough to go to college. You aremuch smarter than you think you are. You're an intelligent young lady capable of making good friends. You won't be all alone. Discipline yourself to eat right and get enough sleep. Everyone is a genious when they find the right venue. Seek it out. Don't worry if things don't pan out exactly as you hope. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and be happy that you've gotten that out of the way. Then start again. Don't let anyone convince you that you have to be someone that you don't want to be. YOU chose who you are. Don't let anyone sap away your happiness. It's inside you. It will grow when you finally say "This is what I was made for! This is who I was created to be!" You are fearfully and wonderfully made, and you are awesome!

Anyone who wants a good education without spending there body parts to do so (An arm and a Leg!)

My classmates range from newly graduated from high school students to well seasoned silver haired grandparents. They all seem pretty cool so far.

Tomas

Muskegon Community College truly proved to be a gem in educational terms. Professors are all easy to talk to, and help facilitate students' needs and interests based on their academic direction in life. There is also much diversity to be found on-campus, with students and faculty from a multitude of cultural backgrounds. This, in turn, allows for a much more dynamic and unique experience, giving the student a much different approach in their learning practices.

Take sufficient time and care in planning your scholarly approach. Although the road to your academic future is ever-changing and will present to you many forks along the way, a sense of direction will take you further than you would have ever dreamed of; the sky is truly the limit. In spite of what you may believe to be your passion at the moment, there is an entire world beyond your current sense of understanding and reasoning that's imploring you to take the steps necessary to discovering what may lie ahead. No decision is ever truly a bad one by any means, and everything you will go through will be a learning experience; whether you're clairvoyant enough to realize it at the time or not. Bearing witness to this, I unfortunately cannot tell you the changes that will occur over the next three years of your life, for you will then be faced with the misfortune of being deprived of going through all the necessary processes that have made me who I am today. College will prove to be very different from what your present perceptions tell you; true wisdom implores openness to new ways of thinking.

I would have given much for the clairvoyance of knowing ahead of time what direction and pursuit in life I was hoping to pursue. Muskegon Community College offers many unique and individualized programs for students, based on their pursuit of academic success. Having known this sooner, I would've spent more time utilized in discovering which program would have best suited my exclusive goals for transfer to a university.

Anthony

Students at Muskegon Community College are usually quite friendly and open to help you; however, having small class sizes, you may not get the opportunity to meet to many people that you could refer to as a friend.

High School was a time of mixed ideas and confusion for me. Fresh out of a private academy, I was a typical kid with traditional values. As everyone knows, high school is a time for pressure to build and for students to give into things they wish they never had given into. Now, I am not going to tell you the typical line of "Don't give into pressure," because I kept with my values of never partying, doing drugs, etc. What I do know is that as soon as you get out of high school everyone changes, including your best friends. Some people will become completely devoted to their studies while others, even those you would least expect, give more time to parties and "college romance." Alcohol is common in every high school or college, whether people like it or not. While in college I myself have gone to a few parties and have met a number of people because of it. So, are my morals tainted? The way I see it is that in order to escape the "pressure" of others you must have confidence in all of your decisions. Good can come from experimentation; trust your judgement.

Students who enjoy getting to know their classmates and hanging out may want to consider a four year college because Muskegon Community College is meant to be a cheap way for students to succeed; therefore, students spend more time studying and working then they do hanging out with friends or classmates.

Ginger

Knowing what I know about college life, I would advise my high school self to pursue scholarship opportunities. Scholarship applications take work, and you will not recieve many of those you applied to, but the opportunity to obtain those few scholarships you are rewarded is far too great to overlook. College is expensive, and every bit of aid helps. Spend that extra hour filling out an essay scholarship. Do not pass up scholarships because of doubt. Think about how many students might be like you and decide not to complete a scholarship. If you look at the difficult scholarship applications in terms of who did not apply and challenge yourself to complete them to the best of your ability then you stand a good chance of acceptance. Especially in these hard times it is important to gather information on opportunities to finance your education. No one is looking to give handouts, just like no one is unwilling to help you. Everyone wants to see you succeed because you are the future of our world. You just need to prove that you are willing to work hard to achieve your goals.

The best thing about my school is it's compassion. With the economy down and everyone having empty pockets, it is important to attend a college that works with you, both educationally and financially. Muskegon Community College worked to cover my tuition and most of my books. Furthermore, my college caters to those wanting to transfer. They counsel students in what colleges would work best for them and what classes transfer. They even offer transfer scholarships. For me, Muskegon Community College was an important choice I made in that I avoid a year's tuition at a major university.

Any person who is serious about their future should attend a community college. I considered attending a university my first year and found that the cost of attendance was far higher than I could accept. Since the first year of most college students involves taking basic classes, I turned to Muskegon Community College. Because of my choice to attend a community college, I saved an entire year's tuition, or nearly $20,000. Therefore, it would be wise for every person to seriously consider community college, and if their major allows, then pursue a year there.

Carrie

I would recommend this school for non traditional students. I feel that the class schedules are flexable, and completing the programs are made easy with the help of a well orgainzed student service center. I have never felt like a face in the crowd while attending MCC. I have felt that the professors are helpful, encouraging, and make times for non traditional students in which family and work are sometimes more of a priority then school.

One piece of advice that I would give myself is to never give up and to not get discouraged. Being a single mom upon high school graduation, college seemed like a dream that would not be accomplished. However, with the support of friends 10 years after high school I went back. Whether the transition to college student is directly after high school or after "life" has been lived a little, it is not easy. You need to remain focused on the goals you have set for yourself. It is these goals that you must first clearly lay out before yourself, before you begin this journey. Clearly defining the objectives you which you accomplish will allow you to remain focused. Utalize the student service center. They are not just there to welcome you the school. This might possibly become the most important asset you have while you are in school. From the counciling center, to the financial aide office, information is made readily available and easy to access. Remember stay focused, utalize the tools that the school has for you, they want you to be successful too!

I would not recommend MCC to those students who are seaking any kind of atheletics. It does not seem to me that there is a "following" for any of the teams that are sponsored by the school. I have yet to hear or see anything re: school sports or schedules...I think that it is a disadvantage to those students who wish to participate.

Muskegon Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.