Nassau Community College

« See more reviews of Nassau Community College

Looking back at the time I spent as a high school senior, knowing what I know now I would tell myself one thing, try everything. I would tell eighteen year old me to do it all, with a touch of caution. I'd tell him to party harder, study more, go farther, be afraid and do it anyway. you only live once and college is the place to do it. It's the only time in your life where your world is completely made up of you own imaginings. Pick a class, drop a class, add a major, heck...double major. Go for broke, the more you experience in college the more sure you will become of the person you are once you leave it. I would get of campus and go so far off I'd get lost and love every minute of it. Before the realities of life, live in the fantasy wrought by beer you've never tasted and girls you've never seen. Ride high on the adrenaline and soak up every bit of knowledge you can bear because once its over, its over. I would tell myself to forget about the past and try everything!

I think the most important thing to know is that plans change, and that nothing is really set in stone. As a high school senior, you worry about getting into college. As a high school graduate, you worry how to pay for college. I was accepted into my first choice school. I had the talent to get in, but no money to back up my dream school. I applied for scholarships, but I had no luck. Then I found I could get a free ride to another art school, as long as I started in the spring term of 2010. So it was all set, and I was worry free. I would attend Community College in the fall, then go to the Art School in the spring. December came and the plan fell to pieces, it looked like I would not be going to Art School after all. This came as huge disappointment, but in the end I feel that everything in life happens for a reason. I will stay at Community College (which is not as bad of a school as people make it out to be) until i can attend my dream school at reasonable cost.

If i had the ooportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself the following advice: Brian college is very diffirent from high school. In college it is your responsibility to understand what is required for classes, purchase your books and other materials. You are fortunate in high school that the teachers will guide you and give most of the materials required for class. The teachers will remind you to study and prepare for upcoming exams and projects. In college this is all your responsibility. You must learn to manage your time for studying and completing projects. You must ask for assistance when needed and ensure you understand what is being discussed in the class. You must learn to balance your responsibilites with work, home and school. You must become an adult. Remember these two words; resposibility and time management and the transition will be smooth.

Do the best you can in the time left in high school to ensure that you go to a great school and possibly get a scholarship or two. Take your grades in college very seriously; skipping class may seem fun at the time but it's not worth it. Do the best you can with all of the facilities that are accessable to you. There are plenty of programs to provide assistance along the way; USE THEM. Do your best and hand in your assignments on time; you don't want to re-take any classes. Be social; you may build strong relationships with some of the peole you meet. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, that's what the professors are for. If you dont understand something it is OK to ask about it. They don't bite. Be active in campus life as long as it doesn't get in the way of your studies. This is supossed to be the best years of your life so enjoy them.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that If I go away to college, staying in a dorm the first year is a must because you usually wont need a job right away to pay for your apartment. Pay attention in class and focus on all assignments. They are nothing like highschool. Think long and hard about what you want your major to be so you dont waste money taking useless credits. Going to a teacher during office hours is not like being sent to the principals office. They are really there to help and sometimes what you tell them can lead them to guide you to improve your grade and it may turn your B to an A. Do not work if you can help it. Give yourself one day a week to have fun. By doing this, you would have properly planned that day around your school so you are not loosing sleep for your next class for being too spontanious. TAKE VACATIONS!!!

If I was able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to have more confidence in the decisions I had made thus far. In high school I thought I wasn't smart enough to go to a good college and that I was settling for less by going to Nassau Community College because anyone could get in. I would tell myself that it was a wise decision because I didn't know what I wanted and that the names of colleges aren't everything. I would tell myself that college is a growth process and it gives you more freedom and choices as well as a chance to be independant and responsible. The transition from high school to college would be a good one and making the decision to go to Nassau would be smart because it would help me to discover my passion and give me the guts to follow my dream.

As I look back on my High School career I wish that I would have pushed myself harder. I always settled for just passing or getting B's even though I was capable of getting an A had I applied myself. I would have tried to build a better relationship with my teachers and ask them for help instead of letting my pride get the best of me. If I could go back I would put my school work a head of all extra-curricular activities. Being in college has helped mold me into a responsible and ambitous women. Since being in college I have learned time management skills, been able to manage work, being a full time student, and being apart of extra curricular activities. If I could go back in time I would probably tell my self that time is precious and every moment counts, use your time wisely.

The first thing that I would say is: Stay focus during classes because, this is not high school anymore, teachers treat you like adults and if you miss something in class or you are absent is very difficult to catch up. Second thing is to study at least two hours everyday for each class that you see because; you see a class twice a week and is very fast pace. A very important notice about college is that, you are on your own; there will not be anyone like in high school to tell you what to do. College is preparing you for what is out there in the real world and you have to do take care of your self because, there will not be anyone to do it for you.

I would explain that it was much easier than I would have thought, and that with hard work and perseverence, one may overcome even the most begrudging of tasks. I would let myself know that through college I should discover the brilliance of thought and accomplishment, the diversity of personalities and idiosyncrasies bearing useful knowledge and experience the world over. I would tell myself that the world would turn out all right, and that any digression can be uprooted and corrected with time. College is a place for growing, for maturing, for self-reflection, and for mental stimulation, and I would like it.

Select a communit y college instead of a four year university. Although it is your passion to travel around the world, studying cultures and languages. and you found a university that offers it, sometimes it is best to leave the best for last. This will save you not only from financial hardship, but from heartache. It will be hard to know that you can't accomplish your goals and dreams rght away but when you get to the university, and travel and study the immense beauty of humanity, you will take a deep breath and know that it was all worth it.