La Jolla, CA
National University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend National University

Heidi

The years are going to pass regardless of what you are doing. Be financially broke for a while, money comes and goes. Material things can be taken from you, but your education will be with you until the day you die.

My biggest problem with college was finding a school that fit. During high school, I didn't really research schools, I only toured and applied to local schools. I wish that I could go back in time and visit as many schools as possible. I transferred schools several times and I feel that if I found a school that suited me, then I would have already graduated. Also I would have taken advantage of living on campus. I commuted back and forth from school and I feel that I missed out on the college experience. I think that living on campus and being totally immersed in student life is important. You find who you are while you are in college and being in a school that can help you discover that is priceless.

The best thing about the school is the one class per month format. It ends up being the same work load as going to school full time at a traditional college or university, but you only have to concentrate on one subject at a time. I feel that I am able to absorb more of the information that is being taught.

David

The first piece of advice I would give myself would be to apply for scholorships. Financial aid grants and loans are not enough to go to school, buy books, and live on. My second piece of advice would be to focus on classroom type of classes rather than online classes. Classroom classes forces one to focus on the learning and limit the possibility of procrastination. A third piece of advice would be to alternate fun and difficult classes. Doing hard classes first wears you out while doing fun or easy classes first creates a false sence of expectations. Finally, I would advise myself to narrow down a scholastic field early.

No campus life or social opportunitied

Bethany

Classmates are always willing to help.

Classmates are always willing to help.

No matter how difficult it may be, go to college and get a degree. You may hit rough patches and times you want to quite, but don't. In the end, it'll be so rewarding and well worth it! Even if you can't go full time, at least part time...something. Well worth the work.

It's one class a month, so it's very fast paced. And super expensive!!

April

My classmates are a diverse population of dedicated students excited to expand their horizons through learning opportunites at National University.

National University graduates the most California Certified Techers in the state. National also provides flexible programs that allow unique populations - military, full-time working professionals, etc - to complete undergraduate and graduate-level studies.

"Don't wait! Even if you only go part time, start early and get it behind you!" As a high school student I knew I wasn't ready to dedicate myself to being a full-time college student immediately following graduation. I still think I made the right decision by beginning a career in the U.S. Marine Corps following high school. However, if I could go back, I would definitely pursue part-time education opportunites (on-line, night and weekend courses) immediately. I know now it would have been easier to complete classes when I was young, single, didn't have children and only had to be concerned about getting to work on time.

Keith

Just go to school and get the work done...don't take so long (7 years) to get a bachelors!

That each class was so expensive and that there are scheduled times for finals, though they are online courses.

People who want to have the "college" experience with campus clubs and everything.

Teresa

I waited three years after high school to start college. If I could go back in time I would tell myself as a high school senior not to wait, that with a school like NU, attending college can be flexible. I would advise myself instead of choosing to work right out of high school, to work and attend a flexible online school like NU.

National University has many programs that are 100% online, which allows students a tremendous amount of flexibility. Classes are designed to be asynchronous, which means if the only time you have to complete school work is in the evening or at night, you'll be able to succeed at NU. Also, classes are taken one at a time and are only 4 weeks long. They are fast paced, but your focus is not split between multiple classes at one time.

If you are not self-disciplined and are not able to hold yourself responsible for completing a large amount of coursework, this school is not for you. Courses taken online are extremely fast paced, often requiring 3-5 chapters of reading per week, which requires a high level of dedication.

Shawn

As a high school senior, I would make your counselor your best friend. They will help you with scholarships that are available at your school or within your community. They can also find out what classes are required in college for general ed. There may be quite a few courses you can actually take while still in high school. They will be able to provide you with a realistic expectation of what you can expect from college and help you prepare. College is a whole new world compared to high school (new teachers, new classmates, and new policies and procedures). Unlike high school, your educational responsibility is yours rather that than of your parents. I would recommend attending freshman orientation and asking around as to what classes are fun to take, which one's are particularly challenging, etc. If you are considering working, you may want to take a serious look at your workload at school. I was working full time overnight while taking a 12 unit workload at school and it was definitely challenging. I would advise taking everything into consideration before you start your first year at college to ease the transition.

I wish I had started looking for scholarships right from the beginning. Time flies by when you are busy working and going to school full time so I would advise against procrastination. I recommend putting together a financial plan beyond school loans and grants because the time for a student to start repaying on those loans comes up fast. And the chances of getting a great paying job right out of college are slim. There are multiple resources out there for financial assistance. You just have to do a little research to find ones that you qualify for.

I don't have anything negative to say about my school. I wish the cost wasn't so high ($1300/class plus the cost of books), but the format is very convenient. I am attending National University's accelerated program and am able to attend class online. It is great because I can continue to work full time and because I can do all my coursework online, I can do my homework after my daughter goes to sleep. My daughter is my number one priority so it is important to me that I'm getting to spend time with her.

National University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.