Nebraska Wesleyan University Top Questions

Connor

The first thing I would tell myself would be to relax. As a high school student I never realized how many college students had no idea what they wanted to do for the rest of their life. I was immensely stressed going into college with worry of where life would take me. The first tip concerning college would be to tell myself to take chances and explore. I knew I didn't want to be a business man sitting in a cubicle working on paperwork from nine to five, but my mother wanted that life for me because I was skilled in accounting and business. I finally explored the life of physical therapy several years later and am so thankful I did. Nobody is perfect, and taking chances can lead to some of the best experiences in life, within reason of course.

Sierra

In high school, it's too easy to get caught up in what people think of you. What I realized too late is that others' opinions of you don't matter. Who cares what they think? Your friends and family know the real you, and that's what really counts. Letting your peers' negativity cripple your own outlook on life is only hurting you, and the damage lingers. It's more important to be true to yourself and disregard the masses. The other thing that it's easy to obsess over is grades. Don't get me wrong, good grades are important in opening up opportunities for higher education. High ACT scores can win you some fantastic scholarships! But it's essential to find balance and not spread yourself too thin. Sacrificing social events and time with family and friends because of a devotion to school work is something you'll regret. The same thing applies to work. Working is great; it earns you much needed money and provides good real world experience. But there are many valuable moments in life that you will miss if you have your blinders on, focused on school and your job. Balance is key.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high schooler I would tell myself to take challenging and difficult courses in high school. The high school curriculum does not prepare you for the college curriculum. I would tell myself to take college and AP courses. I would also tell myself to learn good study habits. Studying is a major part of college and if you don't develop good habits while in high school, the first sememster is going to be rough. I would also tell myself to relax. College is not as bad as some people make it out to be. It is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun! I would tell myself to enjoy the first semester, but also work hard and set yourself up for a good future in college.

Don't be afraid of your future because you are so much smarter, braver, and ready than you believe. College is a time to discover who you are and Wesleyan is the place where you belong!

JBenjamin

I would tell myself to choose a field that would teach applicable skills. Studying arts and humanities courses proved to be very interesting, but did not lead to a job after my undergraduate education was complete. If I had paired my sociology studies with a hard science or math (which I ended up doing during my graduate education), the job opportunities would have been more plentiful.

I would tell myself to cherish every moment with my high school peers because once college starts those relationships are not the same. A person goes from seeing their best high school friends every day to seeing these same people once or twice a month. It is a brutal transition and college forces you to exit your comfort zone and mingle with absolute strangers. I would also tell myself to be as active and enthusiastic as possible during the remainder of my high school career because once college you go from the big man on campus to an unknown figure. I loved my high school experience there is not much I would want to change. My advice to myslef and any other high school senior would be live life to the fullest and make as many memories as possible.

Jaclyn

I actually, would go back to when I was sophmore and told myself to go get another job after being fired from my first and only job, then that way I would of stayed out of trouble and would of been able to actually afford some of the classes I need to take. i would also tell myslef to not let the pressures of senior year to get to me and just have fun. Sometime I really do wish i can go back in time becuase i would have a way different life right now if it wasnt for my mistakes.

Ansley

I would recommend to myself to practice better studying habbit. Senior year is the easiest year, but it helps to actually study and apply all the concepts that you learn into your life. If I knew about how the big transition from high school to college I would have less trouble studying for my classes this semester.

Sierra

Being a senior I wouldnt have thought about how big of a change going to college would have been! i would have thought more about all of the fun things and new experiences i was going to be apart of. I would also think more about what i wanted to do in my future instead of stressing about the "dollars" My relatives always told me that college is the best four years of your life and now i know that it really is!

Don't be so scared! College isn't as horrifying an idea as you think! The people here are amazing and really nice. You even make a lot of amazing new friends and meet so many wonderful people. The opportunites presented to you are far and wide, and I know you will be happy here. Happier than you have been in quite some time. Right now, you are wondering how you are even going to be able to keep up with all that difficult college homework while juggling your job and those extracurricular classes you wanted to do, but you are worrying a little bit too much. You pass your first semester with flying colors! My advice to you? Don't look back. Unfortunately, you will lose some friends along the way, but you gain so much more than you lose. You find love, friends, family, and pick up pieces you have been missing. This is where you and I start to define me. This is where we get to become the teacher that we have always wanted to be!

Dear Rebecca, Don't you dare worry about not making friends. This is your dream, your life, make the most of it. You will have a rough time at first, and you will want to give up, but you won't because you and I were raised stronger than that. You will lose your roommate within the first week, but you will gain some best friends that make college and life worth any hardships that come your way. Don't worry about grades, professors will help you, and student assistants will too. Also, don't worry about falling into some guys lies and deciet because your new best friend will introduce you to a gentleman that will steal your heart and you will be together for a while. He will have to leave for the navy, and your heart will heart, but the letters and the promise of him comming home will make everything ok. You have wonderful family in college, and all your worries now, all your saddness, it will evaporate when you get here where I am today. Don't worry. You will be somebody some day. Also, take chances! Good things will come from unexpected events!

Regina

What I've gotten out of attending college is more than just an education, I've learned that it's okay to be good at things. I don't have to do worse on a test, not run as fast in a race, or not be as creative to make sure I fit in. I don't need to fit in anymore and that's allowed me to excell and be who I am and know that it's okay for me to build exceptional work. I can be proud of the hard work I've done and not feel bad about myself because someone else didn't get as far. I've learned that I'm my own responsibility and taking responsibility for myself I get to take pride in my actions. My work is spectacular and I love it.

Deanna

In the past year and a half that I have been attending college I have recieved an education and experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I've learned so much and why it is important that I attend college. I have taken classes that I enjoy and have been able to experiment with classes that I might be interested in making a profession out of. It's been a very valuable and rewarding experience because it's allowed me to experiment with the different fields that I am interested in. I know that having this experience has given me knowledge that I will take with me and pass on to others. I have enjoyed this experience so much that I have decided to become a teacher so that I can share my experiences with other students that may not think they are able to go to college. But by sharing my story I will be able to show them that there is always a way for them to extend their education and why it is so important that they do.

Gabriella

I have learned how to study which is something that is hard to do. Learning how to study has helped make my study time alot less than what it used to be. Also, being able to study right helps me take in more information and to be able to relate that information to the class that I'm studying. Time is a very important thing in college, and if you can't manage your time, you will get behind in your studies or you won't have enough sleep at all. So learning how to study can give you more time to do other things, also can help you study more efficiently so you will be able to recall the information better.

Natasha

I study hard, try to do my best, and I seek out help when I don't understand something. I have learned that while good grades are to be sought they are not everything in life. This was a hard lesson to learn. In high school I had a 4.0 GPA and grades were everything and in college I have a 2.80 and study more than I did in high school. Sometimes you won?t understand something no matter how hard you try. It isn?t a failure to know you can?t do something just an awareness of your limits. The important thing is the journey and what you've learned. I have learned that one of the greatest things to do with your life is to give to others. With this in mind I am actively involved in my Circle K club, which has a different volunteer opportunity each month. Life is about the journey, you should try your hardest in college and life and not be heartbroken when you don?t achieve your goal -as long as you learned something.

You're in a hurry to grow up, leave high school, and be independent. Slow down a little bit and enjoy this last year of high school because once it's gone it's not coming back. When the big day comes, when you feel scared and overwhelmed, just remember that your parents believe in you. Don't be afraid to ask for help. There are lots of people on campus who are willing to help. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you know everything or that you don't need to study because it will come back to hurt you. Organize your time, schedule enough study time and you will be just fine. Have fun! You don't have to sit in your dorm room alone every night. Most importantly, have faith in yourself. You can do this, you were meant to do this, this is YOUR dream. So make it happen.

The transition from a high school senior living at home to a college freshman living on a college campus away from home is a larger challenge than you can ever imagine. The emotions you will feel as you leave your parents home to face the new and exciting experiences a life away from home will bring, are like nothing you have ever felt. Excitement, the fear of the unknown, and sadness all wrapped up into one. The life on campus is a much faster and more challenging life than what you experienced as a high school senior. Skills of time management, problem solving, getting along with other people and their differing opinions are skills that will have to be developed and refined as you live your life on campus. You will meet many new people from backgrounds that are very different from yours. Your college life will be full of new choices that will require you to make a decision. Your decision may not always be the right one, but if you learn from your mistakes, you will learn as much or more from your life out of the classroom as you will from each college course you take.

H

As a high school senior, I was one of the few in my class not looking forward to graduation. It was the first BIG change in my life. My advise to myself as a high school senior is to relax. Enjoy your last semester of high school, but realize that college is going to be just as fun and educational as high school. I would tell myself not to worry about fitting in at college or about not being good enough in my extra-curricular activities. Confidence is important in college. I think you gain a great deal of confidence as you grow in your college life, but it is also important to come into college with a confidence in yourself. It is also important to get involved. Another piece of adivse I would give myself as a high school senior is to get more involved on campus during my freshman year. By being involved on campus, you meet great people and create lasting friendships. Those friendships will get you through many low times during your college career as well as your life. Overall, I would tell myself to love life and not worry so much.

Kaylee

Having to look back on my senior year and giving advice to myself is one I enjoy. There are many memories I enjoyed but also many things I would have changed. First and most important thing I would tell myself is to push to the end. As hard as the class is, keep pushing. The harder you push and the more you accomplish the better off it is in the end. Second, I would tell myself to start taking better notes in class and read BEFORE the class instead of after the class. Reading before the class helps you get a better understanding of what is going on for that day?s lesson. Finally, I would tell myself to relax. Being a high school senior is one of the hardest times in your life. You are finishing up your big tests, college visits, and scholarship applications. When doing your final visits keep an open mind about it and relax. It is not something to get worked up about. It is just college right? Relax and enjoy it. The end will come sooner then you think.

Find out as much as you can about finances and situations that will help with tuition.

Kristine

When trying to decide on a college, you need to make priorites of what you are actually trying to find. Also, one thing that helped me the most was actually going to the campus and taking a campus tour. The friendly atmosphere and having the opportunity to see classes in action really got me thinking that I could picture myself there. Along with the campus tour, I was able to meet with real professors from the university. Not all places allow their professors to take time out of their busy schedule to talk to prospective students, so I could already feel the deeper connection students make with their professors. Once I arrived, I knew I wasn't just a number. I came from a small town, so it felt welcoming when professors would call you by your name. While at NWU, I was also able to take a class during my first semester that changed my outlook on life and my major. In this class we were required to do a service-learning project. I chose to do mine with immigrants who were struggling to learn English. I loved this experience so much, that I became a volunteer ESL teacher.

Darren

Make sure you choose the college that fits you and one that your comfortable at rather than going to a college where all your friends or boyfriend/girlfriend is going. This will ensure a positive and enjoyable college experience.

beth

find somewhere you are most comfortable. you want an atmosphere that feels like home to you.

Go to a small university where the professors care and the classes are fun!

Libby

I would advise that students make the right choice for them. Parents can be very helpful in this decision making process, but the ultimate decision needs to come from the student as far as where they will potentially choose to learn, grow, and live for the next four years. Before college visits, I would brainstorm specific questions I want answered. If these are not covered during the school tour, I would not hesitate to ask. I realize that the process of visiting schools can be intimidating, but the admissions faculty really are interested in you, and want to help you on your search. If the college representative doesn't seem interested in answering your question, or even appear to be avoiding it, then possibly you should be reconsidering whether or not this college is for you. I would visit as many places as possible, why? Because it can't hurt! The only way to know what you want or don't want many times is to have a wide enough pool of schools to pick from that you are then able to say "yes, I really like the way they do this," or "no, that doesn't work for me."

Staci

Take the decision seriously. don't base it on what your friend's decide.

kara

Find the place where when you are on campus you feel like you belong there. When you get your tour notice how the other students are treating each other and look around and see what activities the students are participating in when you are around.

Look around and make sure that you've found something that is right for you, not your parents or anyone else. College is a long part of your life and the last thing you want to do is continually jump around from college to college. It's a big decision, so make sure you're happy with it.

Sadie

The college you choose should be all about you! You cannot simply look at colleges because your parents went there, your sister went there, or because your best friend wants you to go there. However, that should be a college you visit, along with a college you would love to go to, and a few colleges you think would be practical based on your future career and financial situation. You will visit all of them, probably with your parent(s) or guardian(s) and something will just hit you, out of the blue you will absolutely know you are in the right place. You will look around and all of a sudden you cannot imagine this college without you, or you without this college. The scenery, the class sizes, your future teachers, and the tour you complete will all lead you to your college destiny. Your mind and heart will tell you what you need and do not need. And after visiting all these places you will end up in the college of your choice just like me. My mind and heart led me to Nebraska Wesleyan University?Where will yours lead you?

Find a college where people are friendly and helpful on the tour. They will probably continue to be that way through college. Besides that, college is what you make of it. It's challenging and encouraging, and almost all colleges can give you what you need as long as you put the effort into finding it.

Pick the school you feel the most comfortable about. Don't worry about where your friends are going to go to school. Pick what is right for you.

The one thing to consider when choosing a college is finding the right size for you. I prefer small classes where I can get to know my professors and get one-on-one help, so I chose Nebraska Wesleyan, but the choice is up to you. Try not to worry about the cost of the school. If it's where you want to go and you are accepted, then work hard on getting scholarships and loans. It can be difficult, but if you work hard, you can usually get most of the cost in scholarships. Another thing to consider is what you want your major to be or if you are undecided. Community colleges are good for those who aren't completely decided, that way, you can get the generals out of the way. If you know what you want to do, try picking a college that focuses a lot on that specific area. Don't pick a school because your friends are going there or your parents want you to go there. Pick the college that is right for YOU!

Don't just go where your friends go. Find the college that is the right fit for you, this is the best way to get the education you want. I love my school because it fits my needs and wants!

Great Place Well worth it

Dan

Get involved.

Cory

Take a campus visit to your option/s. It will feel right once you get there.

When deciding on the right college, I think it is most important to visit the campus of several colleges and visit with the professors at that school. If the campus does not feel "homey" or comfortable, it is not likely that you will enjoy being on that campus. Getting to know the professors is very important when learning about the type of classes you might be taking in that particular major. Another important aspect of choosing a college is knowing the campus life and activities on campus as well as the financial aid offered by each school. At times, scholarships can be the most important factor when choosing a college. College should be a home away from home, and if you do not feel comfortable, safe, and optimistic about that school, it is probably not the right school for you. You should follow you heart and look past the monetary issues if everything else falls into place.

The college search experience can be one of the most exciting and scary times of your life. It's important to fully immerse yourself in your search and try to get as much out of it as you can. Parents- it's important to give input. You might have experience that can be shared. But don't pressure your children into something they may not want to do. Students- take the information that your parents, counselors, friends, etc. give you and use it all to make the best decision. Only you can know what school will best fit you. Never be afraid to ask questions! I work giving tours on my campus and I don't believe there are any stupid questions. Make sure to visit campus before you decide anything. Don't forget to have fun! Enjoy every aspect of the college search and be excited to embark on the next part of your life. College has truly been the best experience of my life. It might be a little nerve-wracking, especially if it's your first time away from home. But trust me, you'll look back on all of it with a smile on your face.

Rob

Embrace the new found thoughts on lif, that they will encounter.

Breanne

Look for what is comfortable for you, what does the school offer for your major? What opportunities are there for you outside of campus as well as on?

Denny

Go on college visits and you will know where you feel the most comfortable.

College visits do not really do it. Find out personal opinions from people who have attended the college you went to. Look at both positives and negatives.

Don't listen to anyone but yourself. Find what fits you best and what you want to do that will make you happy in life. Also, give your school a chance. Wait at least a year before deciding to transfer; you never know, things may surprise you.

Jeff

The most important thing to remember when selecting a college is that every college is different, and one that may be great for one person could be a terrible choice for another. Before your visits, take the time to research which colleges are strong in your field of interest. Then, most importantly, take the time to visit at LEAST three colleges. Every college has its own personality, and every student should try to find a school that will compliment their personality. A special piece of advice for incoming students; don't worry about where your high school friends are going. You can still see them over break, and chances are that if you pick the right college, you won't miss them nearly as much as you would imagine. Once you pick a school, come into it with an open mind. You will be challenged from every angle, but resist the temptation to go home every weekend. Be willing to let go of some old ideas, but never forget where you came from. Meet your roommate half-way, even if you don't like them, and always assume your professors want to help, because they usually do.

Jacy

Go somewhere that you feel comforatble. I felt comfortable the moment I walked onto campus. I loved everything about it: the people, the classes, the buildings. I'm from a small town and it gave me that same kind of feeling. You will just know when on campus. So you really do need to do a campus tour and maybe even sit in on some classes.

Chelsey

Sometimes, your child cannot explain why a school feels right. Other schools may seem to make more sense, but when you go on your campus visit and research the school, you just KNOW if it feels right for you. Follow your instincts!

Visit lots of schools, spend time there. Sometimes local small schools are better than the top expensive ones, depending on the area of study. Study hard, but not too hard. Party hard, but not too hard. Enjoy.

Mason

What I believe to be the greatest asset to an education is finding those people that challenge you and provide alternative manners in which to look at the world. In that way I believe that anyone can find a quality education in any institution as long as they do the work to seek those people out. In my experience I have found these people at my institution because of the ability to receive one on one time with professors who truly care about helping students develop their ideas and career. As a result, I really truly feel that if you want a great college experience what you need to do is have ownership of your education and extend your hand out to the community of learners that you are involved in.

Rodrik

Finding the right college is a tough process but you must trust you kids.

Mikayla

Selecting the right college should be based solely on the student's personal wants and needs including learning style and personal preferences. Many factors should be taken into account including whether or not the school has your desired major and extracurricular activities. Other important factors include size, location, personality of the school, availabilty of career placement after graduation. Ask yourself the following questions: Do the have the major that I am interested in? Do they offer a variety of extra-curricular activities and/or clubs that I am interested in? Is it important that I can personally ask professors questions about subject material or is a teaching assistant sufficient? Do I want to be on a campus where I know almost everyone? Will I receive a scholarship? Can I afford this financially? Is this college close enough to home that I can go home as often as I need to? Are the facilities up-to-date? Can I see myself being successful at this college for four years?