New College of Florida Top Questions

Carina

New College of Florida has a very unique grading system. There are no letters or percentages, only narrative evaluations and Academic Contracts. It boils down to "Satisfactory" or "Unsatisfactory" (i.e.: pass/fail). This has its risks and benefits like anything else: it works out nicely in describing the quality of your work and your strengths, and poorly for the same reasons. For example, if you contribute greatly to the class (or don't, and instead appear shy) the teacher can write that down and what your professor says is a part of your grade.

Shannon

We have our own private bay! We have classes in John Ringling's old mansion. We don't have grades.

Kerem

Small class sizes; professor-student relations; the student body; parties; the off-campus house I live in.

Dayna

I brag about the fact that I go to school in a mansion on the beach! The Ringling Mansion. I also brag that everyone here knows everyone else, and love is strong in the air. In addition, my professors expect the highest quality of work from me. I will be more prepared for the real world than anyone else I know who goes to another school. Every single day in class I learn something new. I can choose whatever classes I want; the freedom is training me to be organized and responsible.