New College of Florida Top Questions

Kira

If I could give my past-self advice I would tell them to not worry about making friends and fitting in. Although at first it may seem that everyone around you has found their friend groups, you do not have to feel lonely. It may seem like there isn’t anyone out there who shares your dislike for partying, but they will eventually come out of the woodwork. You shouldn’t be afraid to join clubs and go to volunteer events, those are the best places to meet people who share your interests! Just because you haven’t met people you connect with has nothing to do with your personality or self-worth. It’s just a matter of getting to know new people and finding others to hang out with. Do what you love and you’re bound to find people who love those same things. Branching out and trying new things is also a great way to meet new people and gain self-confidence.

Arlynda

Always remember that you are choosing the shape of your own mind. The mind you shape right now is the mind that will carry you through the rest of your life—the jobs you work, the places you live, the person you marry. The choices you make in college will determine not only your areas of strength, but your areas of weakness as well. Choose to take the harder classes. Choose to cultivate wide-ranging interests and you may discover a passion you didn’t know you had. And choose those late-night talks about the meaning of life, because the friends you make now will be the ones you carry through life too. That’s the long view of what you should know, younger self. Here’s the short view. E.L. Doctorow wrote, “Creativity is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” For the next five minutes, can you be your very best self? Yes? Do that. Then, an hour later, do it again. Keep doing it, until you can do it EVERY five minutes. It’s all about your choices. Choose wisely.

jackie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school, the most important advice I could give myself would be to not drop out. I would tell myself that good grades in A.P. classes are not good enough. College doesn't just happen because you get good grades; you have to make it happen. You have to have a plan and take specific classes. I would have told myself to find the guidance councilor and demand an explanation about how to plan for college and scholarships. I would have stressed that being a mother is wonderful, but that it would be much easier to provide for my family if I had gotten my degree first. And even though it is quite an adventure going back to college as an adult and taking classes with my five children, it is much more difficult trying to balance the demands of family, work, and school. I would have told myself that I have to take responsibility for my own life and my own future and to stop waiting for someone else to do it for me.

Dear Me, Save more money. College is expernsive and it becomes difficult to budget and pay bills. Apply for more scholarships. There was a large amount of free money waiting for you and it was forgotten. Be prepared for some of the hardest work yet. While high school seemed like a breeze College puts you in your place. Be prepared to writed 10 to 12 page papers every other week and tests that will require more than a week of studying. College can be difficult, but it will be so much fun. Work hard and it will pay off, You

College is much more advanced then high school. It takes a lot more time and effort then high school would. There are much higher standards to meet. When you choose you're major, make sure you choose something you will enjoy doing. It makes everything a little more simple, and chances are you will probably be more successful working in a job enviroment that you enjoy. Make sure you thoroughly plan your college choices including degrees. If you feel that you will better succeed in your studies closer to home then maybe it is best to choose a community college close to home. I myself prefere a school closer to home, I have a 15 minute commute. If you want to succeed in college you must work your hardest and try your best. Do not ever cheat yourself out of something that could alter your future.

Dorothea

Apply for as many scholarships as you can. Sell your soul if you have to. Take more time in applications, really think about how you are setting yourself up for the rest of your life. Take care, take it seriously, seriously study for your AP and IB exams. Don't fall asleep in English class. Ask your teachers about writing related scholarships you could get. Don't spread yourself too thin. Either excel in sports or in class. Don't go to a weekend soccer game and break your collar bone. You did good stuff, keep doing them. You can beat yourself. Your greatest competition is yourself. Aspire to be greater. Learn from your mistakes. Drive to school rather than wake up so early to take the bus. Sleep. Don't wait until the last minute to write your ToK paper. Be prepared to always give your best. Eat properly.

I have found this place to help instill in me an academic rigor which feels much more useful than the rather passive attitude of high school. This place has also forced me to interact with my professors and makes me face them on a regular basis which forces integrity and has helped develop my social skills. Above all, in this intellectual outpost, the people surrounding me have helped to restore my optimism in the future of the world: if one place like this can still stand, I'm hopeful.

paloma

There are many experiences that intrinsically mold one’s college education. For me, these ordeals included being on my own for the first time, dealing with new social situations, studying independently and ultimately taking charge of my education, my career and my future. In and of themselves, these markers of maturity form part of one’s college education. Aside from learning basic life skills, my college education equipped me with the ability to research, analyze data, write extensive papers and think critically. Small class sizes forced one to participate during every discussion; and comparing perspectives with classmates and teachers always proved to be very insightful. I learned to interpret data and form my own conclusions, be it through Abnormal Psychology, 18th Century British Literature, or Drawing class. The school’s underlying expectation was the same: learning how to learn. I not only gained a core liberal arts education, but I learned how to learn, and how to apply it to many different subjects. This skill is invaluable in a society where information and skills are constantly changing. Possessing this tool will prepare me for any circumstance, career and life goal that I may hold in the future.

What have I gotten out of my New College experience so far? We'll, I have only been at New College for a year and already feel at home. I am a transfer student, and hated my first school. I didn't think I would be able to fit in anywhere after that, let alone so quickly. The students, faculty, and staff at New College are all exceptionally kind, considerate, and unique people. I like New College because you can be as weird or as normal as you want, and you'll still fit in. I also like the location and campus of New College. Sarasota is a pleasant, safe town, though the median age is a little high. But I like old people, so it's ok. The New College campus itself is beautiful. We have a family of osprey that live in this dead tree on campus, near the bay, and I like to walk down there and see them. The bay itself is lovely. It's a New College staple to watch the sunset on the bay. We also have the Ringling Brothers mansion, which we use as classrooms. I feel quite spoiled while I'm there.

Liz

I would tell myself, relax and ,know you can do this. Make school your life for a few years. College is the key to a better life.

Be sure to meet and talk to everyone you can. Try everything. Meet everyone. Go to the RA events. Get involved with student government, the clubs and sports, particularly if you've never done anything like it before. You will be surprised at the things, and more importantly the people, you could be missing out on. You will meet some of the most amazing people here. The best part of college is the range of people you'll meet and the relationshhips you'll build.

The advice I would give myself is to try as hard as possible. To always reach the goal I set. Also that things worth doing take time and I should be patient in getting through school, and keep myself working toward my goals.

Carina

Look around at different types of schools besides what you think you want- don't limit yourself (e.g.: only small schools, no greek life, etc.)!

Apply to a lot of colleges. Make sure you carefully look at each one. You need to go to the campuses in order to get the full picture of the school. Don't hesitate when you feel a connection with a school, if you think it fits and you feel comfortable make the decision, don't put it off and deliberate too much because then you might end up at a school that you don't really like. Enjoy the experience, you need to enjoy the school you visit, if you don't enjoy it while you visit, you will not enjoy attending the school. Ask questions, especially the hard ones, don't hesitate, the admissions representatives are there to help and answer your questions, so put them to work, and if available ask some of the students questions. GOOD LUCK!!

When I applied to college, I wore some unusual accessories on campus tours to gauge the student body. Although the use of Shrek ears was more bizarre rather than innovative in understanding campus, I knew I needed a college that offered both challenging academics and appreciation of personal expression. Thus, the best advice for choosing a college is to know what you want from it. I knew I would do best at my current school, with small classses and attentive advisors. However, consider the situations in which you thrive and excel, as well as think about the classes you've enjoyed the most. Knowing what brings out your personal best is critical in finding the "right" college for you. From the first day onward, the best thing you can do is to try a little bit of everything. Take chances, take risks! You may find yourself interested and gifted in new subjects, ranging from art history to Ultimate Frisbee. College will offer you so many possibilities and all you need to do is feel comfortable and confidant in knowing what it is you want. The only way to discover "it" is to get out there and give college a go.

Kerem

Many colleges can be whatever a student tries to make of them. Most bad things you hear about colleges can be overcome. I've seen some of the things students tend to say about my college, and I disagree with a lot of them. Make your own experience. Also- if you realize there are things you don't like about your college, things you can't work out, don't hesitate to change colleges quickly. Too many students try and wait it out and wind up either unhappy or wasting time for the best years of their life.

Choose a school that fits your personality and has the same values that you have, but don't be afraid to try something new. Choose the school that specializes or emphasizes your area of study.

Dayna

I would suggest learning about as many schools as possible. Small class size is imortant. So is natural environment. I think the natural environment is one of the most important parts- you want to go somewhere you feel comfortable just being there, inside and outside. Academic standing is important to empoloyers once you get out of college.

vijay

One of the most important decisions in your life is the choice of college. Much of this choice is a gut instinct for whether you like the place, and this is very important as this is a place that you will spend four years at which will shape the rest of your life. There must be enough classes for you to be able to see what you enjoy the most and would potentially do for the rest of your life. The social aspect of college life is also very important, although Fraternities and Sororities are not always necessary to be able to enjoy college life, but is something that will help you become that well rounded person. Part of the college experience is to allow you to become a responsible adult and formulating the right decisions. To do this it is important to take advantage of internships and travel abroad programs allowing more cultural diversity and allowing multiple views of life to be seen and thereby strengthening your character. Therefore the choice of college should be based on where you feel you can benefit from all the opportunities given and will help you mature into an adult.

I would say vistin the colllege and talking to the current students and seeing how well your child will match. Also the cost is a BIG part of the decision. If it's too much or you take out loans it won't make the experience worht it.

To get the most out of your college experience, go to a school that will consume you. Live in the dorms; join the meal plan; do every extracurricular you can--but most of all, fall in love with your work and your classmates. A small liberal arts college was right for me and has taught me about citizenship, about others' lifestyles, about lots of new ideas, and it has encouraged me to prioritize my studies as a part of my identity.

Figure out what you want out of your experience first, then find the college that suits it. Visit the college and ask a lot of questions (especially to current students). Don't make a decision based on anyone else's beliefs about what is best, only based on what YOU believe will be the most fulfilling college experience.

Making the decision to attend college is not one that should be made overnight. Many things need to be taking into consideration: high school accomplishment, community involvement, financial situation and ability to produce quality work under strict pressure and time constraints. College is an opportunity to learn about the world around you as well as who you are and what role you play in it! If you are not ready or willing to do what is necessary to succeed, reconsider your decision! Going to college for the wrong reason is just as bad as not going for the wrong reasons!

Support your kid(s) no matter what

naomi

Start young, start researching colleges once you turn 13 and look for scholarships accordingly. Check out the environment at the school as well as the surrounding area. See what there is to attend, do, work at, etc BEFORE attending the school to make sure that you're occupied at all times. Visit the school, attend a class or two and preferebly spend the night to properly decide if it's for you.

Visit the schools you are thinking about, pictures or reading the advice of others is not enough. It is absolutely crucial that you visit and speak with the students who go there and ask them how they feel, in person. You can attend all the college presentations in the world and in the end, they will all sound the same. The only way to get real answers to talk to the students attending that school and ask them the hard questions, "Are you happy here?" Although it may be difficult to ask a total stranger their level of happiness in life, it's a fantastic indicator of how well that particular school functions and how well the students are being cared for. Once you have found the school with the right fit for you - right atmosphere, right academics, right location, etc. - jump in with both feet. Get involved in whatever it is that you enjoy, make new friends, be enthusastic about being at new place and don't be afraid. College is the time to meet friends you will keep for life. Last piece of advice, go to class! You are paying to receive an education, don't waste it!

Carli

Discovering the perfect college might prove impossible. However, finding an acceptable school for one's needs is achievable with adequate introspection and evaluation. When seeking a match, two broad categories must be addressed: Lifestyle and academia. To begin, one should sit down and make a list of one's needs. Then, the plethora of Internet and printed resources available can be used to narrow down choices. When I was searching fo colleges, I made two fundamental mistakes in my research. Firstly, I failed to learn that my college provided very few planning resources for my career. Secondly, I chose to ignore the social life reports I read depicting regular drinking and smoking. Ultimately, I still thrived at my school because I chose to have a good experience and work around the obstacles before me. I moved off campus and did extensive online research to ready myself for my career. I still made wonderful friends and had great classes from very knowledgeable professors. A positive college experience depends entirely on selecting well and adapting to the shortcomings of the school chosen.