New England College Top Questions

Theophile

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, the advice I would give to myself is to stop procrastination, take the SAT/ACT one more time and actually sit down and study for them, last but not least, apply to only schools of my major (engineering) and nothing else. The reasons these are my options are because I know that if I didn’t have these limitations three years ago, my future would be entirely different from what it is now. Being a senior in high school and having all my requirements for graduation done, I was lazy and senioritis hit me early. I had a ton of time on my hand but when I was assigned with something, I would wait until last minute to do it. Just like studying for the SAT/ACT and/or applying for colleges early enough so I can get a better financial aid packet. I would tell my high school self to buckle down and begin to think about the future because it is essential and when done correctly, could set me on the path to success.

Alexandria

"It's going to be alright." These are the first words that I would use to assure my younger, worried about choosing the right place (out of 12 applications), self: "It's going to be alright." I would tell her that part of the worries she had, didn't matter, because half of it wasn't the school that I was going to choose, but her, herself: the student. I would tell her with confidence, that SHE would be the one to really make the difference, not the university. Regardless if she chose the right place or not, I would remind her that home was within her, her family and friends - that wrong or right, it was part of her journey, and traveling, she would still succeed wherever she was. So, I'd tell her not to really worry, because there is no wrong choice. As long as she pushed to form connections with her faculty and those she met, she would be alright. I would say lastly, before I go, "You're going to succeed, you're going to make friends, and you're going to make a difference. It's going to be alright."

Kristen

If I were to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myelf not to stress. College is fun and you will make a lots of friends. Filling out collge aplications may seem daunting but once its done and the acceptance letters come in all will be better. While you still have to decide where you want to begin your college education the decision will come easy in the end. Staying calm is the key to success. It important to remember that its okay to ask for help, and there is no shame in not knowing what comes next. Life is one great mystery but the best part of it all is that there are people all around you who only want to see ou succeed and are their to help in every way possible.

Ian

Use your time wisely

Amy

If I could go back to my senior year and give myself advice I would say four things. Overnight visit, ask to showdown a student in the science department for a day, take a tour (do this for every school), and don’t let money stop you! I chose these tips because when I applied to my colleges I didn’t tour all of them only the one I am currently at because I saw where I would be attending. I also feel now that if I was able to see the other schools and how the professors taught I could make a better decision. Toward the end of deciding what college to attend I let money decide where I was going to go. The school I am attending now offered me a few thousand dollars more than the school I determined as my top school. To this day part of me regrets that choice. If I had to pick just one this to say to my past self that would be it money isn’t everything. Go with your gut and worry about the money later.

Morgan

Dear 15 year-old self, The day you stepped in your high school was the day you promised yourself that you would do everything in your power to make the best of your high school experience. You vowed to yourself that you would have no regrets as you walked to the podium to accept your diploma. You tried new things, met new people, made many friends and along the way, developed into an intelligent, independent and beautiful person. But, you missed one very important thing. You're worth is not determined by who or how many people are around you but rather it is determined by the quality of person that you are. Never let anyone influence your decisions and never put your self-worth on the back burner for others. I promise one day you'll figure it out. It is said that experience is the best teacher and that as life goes on, clarity will come to what is important and what is not. With much love, Your 20 year-old self

Save your money, kid. College life is fun, and there's tons to do. You should take advantage of this time in your life, but don't go overboard. You can learn a lot in the classrooms of the University, but you can also learn a lot about life during these years. Make friends, explore, GO TO CLASS. Don't get so involved in extracorriculars and fun that you take your eyes off the reason you're there. That slip of paper you'll hopefully earn in four years isn't just proof that you've learned something; it's a testament to your ability to complete something you start. You'll be an asset to a company or organization if you can show that you were an asset to your college. So forget about having the chick-mobile. Forget about having the great party house. Get the things you need to succeed in the classroom, and you'll still be able to have your fun, too.

Dear Stephanie, I am well aware that you’re quite busy with all of your college applications and other important obligations, but please just hear me out. You are about to go to college, one of the major milestones that you’ll encounter in your life that might just change you as a person. I know you’ve Googled plenty to prepare yourself, and, don't get me wrong, Google is a wonderful source of information that will surely help you, but there is one thing that Google will not tell you that I want you to know. Learn how to play the classic table games—I’m talking ping pong, foosball, pool. You don’t have to master it (yet), but at least know the basic rules for each game. The point system, the rules, which ball is the cue ball—these are all essential pieces of information that will allow you to ease into the college experience. Best of luck (No worries, though, I know you can do it. Literally, I’m from the future, remember?) Stephanie

Allison

My advice to my past self is to not be so worried. You shouldn't stress so much about college, because you will make friends and you will do well in school and sports. Still work hard, but don't stress out so much and have a little fun!

Dwayne

if i could go back in time to myself as a high school student i would change everything. i would change my work ethic and get myself into the flow of college work. like i would have tried to take college classes while i was still in high school. in high school i had alot of time on my hands i could have started really early. like i thought college was going to be easy as pie. i would have changed my thought process as well. my organizationing and time management would have been improved awhole lot. then once i get here to college i would be on point with everything. see sometimes you cant make people follow your advice even if you are talking to yourself. all you could do is tell them and hope they follow it for the best and change for the better. thats how we as humans learn through life experinces. its like failing and then the next time around you pass with flying colors because you saw where you made misstakes and you will not fall for it again. in a way im glad i made misstakes and know that perfect person isnt me.

Marissa

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself how important it is to work hard and do everything possible to achieve my goal. I would want myself to strive and make challenges to reach as each semester moves forward. I would remind myself that it is important to work as hard as possible my senior year and make an impression my first year in college. I would tell myself that I make the right choice to go to New England College because the classes are small; the teachers are willing to work with me when I have questions or problems with a class. I would want myself to know that I make great friends who help, there are difficulties throughout the years and that no matter what someone is around the corner to help. With all this in mind, the most important thing I would tell myself is that when I first start school, do not lock myself in my dorm room, to go out to make friends and be part of the school community. By going out, I will find more things to be interested in.

Courtney

Courtney there are certain things that you should know about college. College is like getting you first job. It is scary and intimidating the first few days but after the first week it comes natural. Always keep your chin up and never forget your books! One of the most important things to remember is to make friends. Your friends are going to be the ones who help you with school work and can help you adjust even more at school. Never be afraid to speak your mind in class, professors liek that! If you have differences with your roommate, talk them out. It is better to deal with a roommate who bearable rather than one your koing to regret for the entire year. Don't blow off homework, projects, or papers til the night before....It never works out for anyone. Never be afraid to get help, see a tutor! Tutors are the best resource for anything! Above all else, enjoy yourself, work hard and strive for the best results!

Raquel

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would let myself know that college is different, but it't not as hard as people make it out to be. I would focus more on enjoying my last year of high school. Enjoying my time with my friends and getting the most advice I can from my teachers. I previously went back to my high school in order to get an unofficial transcript and I had walked through the halls, remembering all of the fun times I had. I seen some of my old teachers and I do admit that I missed it. I would not take the moments of high school for granted because I will never forget them. I do wish however, that I didn't rush graduating from high school because once your'e out of high school you begin the real world. There are not going to be teachers telling you to stay on the right path. You are now the only person that can determine how your future is going to end up being. I would enjoy high shool as it should be.

Elaine

I would advise myself to just be true to myself, and not to worry so much about being able to fit in. No matter what college you choose to attend, there will always be some niche in which you fit, a group of friends you can just be yourself with. Take time to meet people early on--when everyone still feels awkward, a random hello in the dining hall or sitting next to a strange person is much less uncomfortable than it is a month or two in when everyone else is already acclimated. Don't go to class late just because your friend is running late and you don't want to walk there alone. And most importantly, give yourself time to define yourself as an individual before becoming part of a notorious pair--being known only as the kid who dated that guy or the duller of two friends isn't the way you want your college experience to be defined.

Courtney

After completing my freshman year in college, I realized there were a couple things I could have done to better prepare myself for college. If I could go back and mentor my senior self, I would be sure to stress the importance of scholarships. During my senior year, I did not give scholarship applications proper time and effort. My original intent in attending community college was to transfer with no debt; however, while I am saving money I am currently in debt and owe $3,500 for my freshman year. In addition, I would advise myself to stay focused. During my senior year, I got distracted by the idea of graduating and finally being finished with high school. I stopped applying myself as much and did not think of the negative outcome. When it came time for college to start I was not properly adjusted. It took time to get back into the swing of things. I have since decided to attend college every semester; summer included to prevent laziness. Had I known these things prior to my freshman year it would have relieved unnecessary stress during what is already a stressful time.

ERIN

If I could go back in time like Michael J. Fox and talk to myself as a senior at Hopkinton High School, I would tell myself that I am capable of much more than I thought at the time! Unfortunately for my eighteen-year-old-self, I didn’t know what I was capable because I had not tried yet. During my post-secondary career, I have discovered that I am motivated and academically capable of pursing a doctorate degree in medicine. As a high school senior I did not believe that, and I would love to go back in time to tell myself that I can excel in a pre-medical school and continue onto a graduate degree. We all know that time travel is not a feasible option, however I am capable of going back to my high school and talking with juniors and seniors about medical school options and maybe ease their hesitations regarding medical school and hopefully helping a student have the confience to pursue their goal. I will be graduating with a bachelors degree in the spring of 2013 and then attending medical school and I plan to return to Hopkinton to do just that.

Sabrina

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say to work hard in the last year of high school. Also I would tell myself that transitioning is not as easy as I thought it would be. When students go to orientation it is a major way to become lasting friends throughout college. Since students usually get put with students they could relate to it is necessary to not be shy the first few days. I would also recommend to get involved in as many extra-curriculurs as possible without having them interfere with school work. I found this important because it provides a good way to make friends and the extra-curriculurs that reflect your major will help in the long run. I also found that it was important to enjoy life at school and not just focus on schoolwork twenty four seven because it will make life seem boring.

Alicia

If I could give my high school self advice about college I would tell how interacting with teammates, classmates and professors would be the way to succeed at this college. I would also advice myself to take the good and the bad times as the come, that college is full of fun and promise, but also life-changing events that will shape the rest of your life. The beginning of new relationships, the end of others, and the reshaping of so many more will occur during the fast-paced years of college and making every situation, good or bad, into a positive experience is what will help you through these years.

Siven

Coming into college I did not really know what expect, and not a clue of what was to come at me, but luckily I had a friend who was also attending this school with me. My experience at college was really good; i had a class schedule that fit in with my own personal schedule which was great. Also the teachers were amazing because they were so passionate and really enjoyed teaching the students about the course subject, and personally I gained a lot of knowledge from. Meeting new students and not just from different part of the States but also from many parts of the world, was an enriching experience for me because in doing so I made a lot of friends and learned a lot about their culture. College was like a big test for me to see if I was able make it on my own with out depending on my mom assistance to help support me, and I have come to to the realization that I can do it. Now that I look back at this experience I feel I made the right choice of coming to this school.

andrew

i got out a greater knowledge of things both social and academic. I value my time here because of the friends i have made and the sucess the class work will help fuel.

Kristin

I can still picture myself as a high school senior; awkward, shy, and unsure about what laid ahead for me. I was still undecided on a major and was pushed by my parents to do what they thought was best for me. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stand up for myself and make my own decision. I attended a school I liked, but was in a major I despised. I ended up changing majors, much to my parents chagrin, and eventually transferred to a different college entirely. I know now that I would have been much better off focusing on what made me happy rather then trying to please my parents. Over the course of the past few years, I?ve managed to find my passion in life; languages. I am determined to study abroad in the near future to strengthen the language skills I have gained over the past few years. I know that this is the path I should have taken to begin with. I only wish I could have realized it sooner. So, to my high school self, follow your own path. Don?t aim to please anybody but yourself.

Diana

I would tell myself to go in with an open mind. Before I got to college I had already decided what it was going to be like and when it didn't end up being as I had planned, it was very difficult to adjust. If I had gone in with an open mind, willing to step outside of myself a little, and be willing to accept the change, I feel the transition would have been much smoother. In no certain terms do I mean that I should have been untrue to myself during the transition, but I wish I had let some of the smaller things slide and just lived in the moment. That's the advice I would've given my highschool self.

Patricia

If i could go back in time to high school as a senior i would want to change would be to invest my time in saving money to prepare myself more financailly with school books. If i can go back in time i would work hard and try and go for a 3.5 instead of the 3.0 ive got and study harder to get a higher grade on the SAT's as well as apply for scholarships that is what i would do to better prepare myself for college.

Enjoli

Dear Enjoli, I know you can?t wait for June to come so you can graduate from High School, leave NY, and head to College...but first semester didn?t go as well as we expected. College became so new one week then so familiar the next. It?s just like High School but more extreme. Classes are better and the time and day difference you get use to, but the work Extreme! Papers among papers have to be due for all classes and sometimes on the same day. It?s hectic and to top it all you miss your family. Home sick lol you would never think right? Your roommate is nice and quiet. College life sometimes is a bore it?s not what we expected, barely any parties and when there is, it?s boring or fights breaks out. Fights and drama is among College too along with drugs and alcohol. Also there?s nowhere to go unless you have a car because the campus is in the middle of nowhere. Although you make great friends and learn a lot from professors you become to like, the year was frustrating and a new experience.

Bethany

The biggest thing to remember in college and learning about not only academics but also about yourself, is that many people will go in and out of your life. Do not work too hard to keep the people that seem important in your life. If these people want to be your friends and stay in your life, they will show you this. Enjoy the time you have and do not over analyze everything and every move made by your peers. Enjoy the life that has been given to you and the opportunities you have been provided with. Not everyone is able to have the same opportunity you have, and therefore must make the best of it, and enjoy what oyu have.

Danielle

I would tell myself to not worry about what people will think of you and you will make friends. Friends will come with time, and it will be an adjustment, but your grades will be amazing. Just take a deep breath, take one day at a time, and focus on school work. Don't look at the fact that this is a school where wealthier students go because you are wealthier academic wise. Keep your head up, stay strong, and love what you do.

Dominique

Choose wisely. College is where you have to redevelop yourself. You will be living there for four years. It is a very big decision and you should really make sure you will be happy.

Alyssa

Find something that not only will fit you acedemically but also has resources to get out and be a part of society. If you give college a chance you won't want to go home, but find something that is worth the money you are paying for. College is a great expierence for everyone so keep your parents involved even if you need your freedom. Learning is the best part of growing up, and when combined with outside expierences, it can be very rewarding.

Victoria

I was accepted to every school I applied to. I graduated in the top of my high school class and a year early at that. I really was a very successful and well rounded student. Everyone expected me to go to an Ivy League school, especially after I was accepted. But when the time came to make my choice, it just didn't feel right. Instead, I chose a small school with little to offer except a welcoming environment and community. I have never regretted it. Of course, it also helped that my parents backed my decision 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} - having their support gave me courage when my school life got hard. My advice is this: Education is what you make of it. There will be partying and competition where ever you go. There will always be money questions and doubt. But if you find a place that makes you happy, you'll do well and you'll be motivated to find the opportunities you need to succeed. School is about you. You make the choice. Be respectful of your parents wishes and counsel because you'll also be respsonsible for the consequences of your choices, and college is only the beginning!

Heather

Make an effort every week of the semester to find financial assistants for the following year. Call the Fiancail Service department at your college and talk with them about it.

Cari

Find a place where you feel comfortable when you make your first visit. It's not always about the big name school or the big city. A lot of times you'll find people from all different walks of life even at a small school where you will get more individualized attention for your money. Just keep in mind, college is where you'll meet some of your best friends that you will have for the rest of your life.

Christina

I would say make sure that you know roughly what major you want to go into and what kind of school you want to go to. Also go and visit as many schools as you can before making your choice. There is a right school out there for everyone you just need to find where it is.

Sean

The best thing I did when I was choosing schools was I made sure the learning environment (class size, students, faculty, faculty to student ratio, etc.) was the number one thing on my list. The social aspect of college is an incredible thing that is something I will never forget. I am a member of multiple clubs, I attend school events regularly, and am on the varsity lacrosse team. But the most important thing you must remember whether you are a parent sending your son or daughter to college or a student choosing their school, it is imperative you remember your main purpose for attending college. This is to further your education and to put yourself in the best possible position to accomplish your goals. I could have gone to a big public school with very large classes (this is not a bad way to go it was just not for me). But in terms of the way I learn and what I wanted I knew a smaller school was right for me. Although the social scene may not be as lively as a big university, I enjoy it and am very happy with my choice.

Shana

Student's deciding what college they want to attend need to look beyond the pricetag. Higher education needs to be thought of as an investment. A good education is worth some debt if the graduate is going to get out there and get a well-paying job, especially if they are good at what they do. Student's really need to experience the atmosphere of the college. Some are crazy on weekends, with parties and places to go to have fun. Others are kind of boring because a lot of people go home. One of the most important things a prospective student should be concerned with is the environment of the town. Is it safe? Is it too big or too small? Are there things to do in town at night and on the weekends? It all depends on the student and what they are looking for in a college.

Kristen

I find that it is very important to travel and visit the school that you think you may wnat to attend. You need to find a school in a town where you feel comfortable and also the class size is what fits you personally. Finding a program in that school is also very important, because it could be a great school, but your area of study may not be fitting to you. It is very important to take into consideration every aspect of that school, for example I forgot to make sure there was a band here and I love to play my instrument, so I am missing out now. Check out EVERYTHING about the school!

stacey

I would give the advise to students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience by following their heart. This would include the financial situations between their parents on what they can afford, what culture do they like, tutoring assistance, counseling assistance, disability opportunities, sports, educational programs, and housing facilities to be sure that the student can get all that they need while attending their future classes. Students need to see if the college of their choice has the major of study, students are looking for. Students need to think about what kind of campus they would prefer to stay at such as, in a small country or in a big city. I based my decision on attending New England College because I was interested in the size of the college, disabilty assistance such as tutoring and I had the opportunity to work on campus for work study. Now that I am finishing my Elementary Education Bacholors Degree I am currenty living on campus and doing student teaching with 4th graders at Kearsarge Elementay. While attending college I have had great opportunities and privilages to work with students at different grade levels in different schools.

Krystin

Finding the right college for some people might be hard, for me it was just a matter of being comfortable enough to settle in, get to know people, start making friends and getting to know the professors. As far as making the most of your college experience, enjoy yourself. I don't mean partying everynight. I mean hanging out with friends, getting involved in clubs and sports on campus, going on trips held by the school, having a movie night with friends. Those are the times that are going to make the most of a college experience, at least for me. It shouldn't be about remembering how much you drank one night at a party, but how you beat your friend at a game by one point. Those are the memories I want to keep and will make the most of my college experience.

Dan

Visit many campus to get a feeling of which kind of place you may want go to school in. Once in college, participate in activites!!! The more you participate, the more fun you will have and the more friends you will make. Try to meet a variety of people and make alot of friends. The more people you know, the better off you'll be.

Shana

I would tell them to look very carefully at each school they apply to. The price is important, but it's not everything. Sit in on a class, talk to the professors in the department you're interested in. And when you get there, don't be shy! Join clubs, get to know people in your hall. The best and worst thing about college is meeting new people. Avoid getting caught up in the "freedom" of not having your parents around. Yes, it's cool, but no, it's not a good idea to get drunk on a Monday when you have class at 8:30! Go to the library to do your homework if you need quite, because you won't find it in the dorms. And last but not least, try to vary the foods you eat at the dining hall. You can't avoid the freshman fifteen if you eat pizza for dinner every day!

When you are looking into colleges the most important question you have to ask yourself is: Will I be happy here? I made the mistake of neglecting my own wants and needs. I weighed all the schools I was accepted to with pros and cons. These pros and cons were mostly based on money and financial aid offered. I ended up choosing the school that offered me the biggest package. Now, beginning my second year here, I am realizing that I made the wrong choice. I always knew deep down that I wanted to be close to home. That was the most important thing to me, but I based my choice on what was most important to others. Now I am looking into transferring closer to home because I am not happy. I advise all students and parents to find the right college by looking inside and truly seeing what matters the most to them. If you make the right choice I am sure you will have the best college experience possible.