Manchester, NH
New Hampshire Institute of Art

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New Hampshire Institute of Art

Kelsey

I believe it is a very promising school that inspires many to push to their absolute limits of creativity. While a lot of us are not active, there are so many opportunities to create active, charity, theater, and so much more. Even programs we don't have classes for, students will take it upon themselves to create a a club to teach others. I've had an excellent time here, meeting people from so many different states, flourishing with diversity and positive attitudes. While some times, it can be a bit heavily democratic, the school is not violent, or a party school. There are studios open to those living in the dorms, and classrooms open till late in the night. Not only are the teachers helping us to become better artists, but they teach us business aspects too. Everyone here is working hard to have us succeed.

I love being at the school. I don't live in the dorms, but the school feels like a second home, and a very good place to be myself. I also love how many friends I've met and made through sharing the same interests, as well as being into art to want to pursue it in our futures.

One of the best experiences Ive ever had. The small classroom environment gives more one on one time with professors who genuinely care about your work as an artist. This school will without a doubt help you develop a better understanding of art practices, vocabulary and a cohesive portfolio. As an added bonus the professors also share their extensive knowledge and experience with students, which most, if not all the members of staff and the professors are working artists themselves with great insight to the industry. I have personally seen the growth in my own art work and gained knowledge and sensibility to pursue a career in something I love. All it takes is time and sincere effort on your part.

Tia

One thing I regret about my senior year of high school is not applying to enough colleges. I only applied to one, which in the end didn’t follow through. I wish I had explored more career paths instead of having my heart set on one career goal. I should have taken advantage of college fairs and really should have done my research on what’s best for my situation. There are so many unique jobs out there that I didn’t even know existed and it’s something I could have taken time to really dive into. As for the actual transition between high school and college, it was quite easy. College scheduling is a lot more flexible than I expected and I psyched myself out a little at the idea of attending university when I was in high school. In all honesty, I’m happy with how my journey panned out. Although it was stressful, I feel as if I have learned more about myself out of high school than I ever have in my entire life.

Of course, for obvious reasons, only those who are passionate about the arts should be attending this school. With a mainly fine arts based curriculum, I would imagine it to be difficult to succeed if creativity isn’t your strength. If you dreaded art class in high school, this is probably not the school for you. This also isn’t a school for anyone who isn’t about the city life. Being located in downtown Manchester really gives you the exposure to living in a small city.

I would have applied for more scholarships and done more things to be more involved with others. I would have taken my classes mroe serisouly.

The worst thing about my school would be the meal plan. Being a freshmen on campus you are required to be on it and the meal plan is very expensive and the food quality is not that great. THe amount of money paid for the meal plan is not worth the food that we are given as well as the times that it is open. I don't think that it is open enough for the student to come in and eat when they want.

A person that is not afraid to be themselves or be crazy and different. Going to art school is much different then going to a different one. The people here are different and aren't afraid to be themsevles, they don't get judged for silly things like in high school.

Lucas

My classmates are artists.

My classmates are artists.

Hello, Lucas. This is me. Allow me to give you some pointers to follow while you are going through the final year of your high school career. Firstly, listen to yourself. If you do not want to do something, then DON'T. If you do want to do something, DO IT. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Living life with regrets is living a full of burden. Take chances, make decisions, start now!

I wish that I had known how much I would flourish before I came to NHIA. I spent one year at a state university in New Hampshire and it was absolutely awful. Returning to school has reignited my passions and is bringing out the best in myself.

Kaitlin

Try as hard as you can. Don't give up on art projects that aren't going your way. And do your still lives when your art teacher tells you to!

I came to this school blindly, you could say. I had never visited, only looked online at the surroundings and the school. Sure, it's a hard transition from my home state of Texas, but I love it here.

If you aren't open to suggestions and constructive critism... just keep on lookin'. This school is all about that, it's an art school. Everyone here is trying to help you get better at your work, don't knock something down before you try it.

keleigh

Pay attention to grades A LOT. Your scholarships are everything. Enroll in as many classes as possible right off the bat- try and cut down the amount of classes you have to take senior and junior year. ACTUALLY STUDY for art history- these grades are easier to achieve if you actually try.

Conservative, doesn't care about art

Kalliope

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself, I would first tell myself to forget about Anna Maria College and go to New Hampshire Institute of Art because the transferring process was hard and the transition from a secure campus to a campus in the city was difficult. I would also say that art has always been your first love and you should not second guess yourself because you don't think you have the talent. You do have talent! It just takes some practice in order to see improvement. A very important tip for myself is to apply to as many scholarships as possible and apply for work study or get a job as soon as possible. School is very expensive even with financial aid and scholarships become extremely helpful. The final tip for myself would be to get involved and join a club. It is hard making friends enough as it is and joining a club is a good way to meet people. It is important to have friends to create a strong support group. College can be stressful at times and a support group including your friends and parents will be very helpful.

I think the worst part about NHIA is that it is right in the middle of downtown Manchester. I wish it had its own campus where I could feel safer about walking to class every day. The city can be kind of scary, especially at night. I think this makes it difficult for the campus security to keep students safe because there are too many people within the city that surrounds our campus. I would personally feel safer if our school had a more secure campus.

One should not attend this school if he or she is looking for a liberal arts school. This school is only for art majors and because of this, some art students may want a liberal arts school just so they can have a variety of different classes that do not necessarily revolve around art. Sometimes at NHIA, art no longer feels like a hobby. It feels more like work and its definitely hard to keep up at times. Some students may want the liberal arts school, so they are not overwhelmed with art and it can still be a hobby.

New Hampshire Institute of Art administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.