Newark, NJ
New Jersey Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New Jersey Institute of Technology

Fixed  rate loan

Victor

You need to start working hard from day one to keep your grades up. Freshmen year is the easiest year to do well so don't mess up because it will take several semesters to recover from one bad semester. Also start preparing early for opprotunties to enhance your resume for grad school/ work. Don't look at the fact that your friends arent doing much other than classes. Take intiative and start projects, internships, research projects to help yourself suceed. You were to focused on your personal/socil life and let your academics slip. You need to find the right balance and in the long run it wont matter much if you focused on academics more than social life. True friends will always be there and support you while you overcome academic obstacles. Although it may seems that classwork is eating up all your time, you'll always find that you have time from friends. Just don't ignore , procastincate or let work buidl up before its too late.

I wish I knew how the specifics of the graduation requirments and which AP credits would be accpeted. I wish i knew that the adminstration works pretty slowly and you have to intiate everything yourself. YOu need to seek the out opporutunities to succed and advance yourself.

The poor communication between adminstration the students. There was a strong disconnect between both groups.

Andrew

Engineering and over population

Engineering and over population

Get involved with community service programs and do well on your AP's and Math especially! I cant begin to explain how much easier sophomore year and all of college in general would have been if I had taken these courses more seriously. Even though I may not have known exactly what I wanted to do at the time and some things seemed like theyll never be needed in the future i should've just learned them anyway because they were important. Life is funny that way. Do research on your college, ask questions, visit it, do not be afraid to get out there. The course load at NJIT is huge and if I had gotten a 5 on the AP english exam, studied for SAT's and payed attention in Calculus I'd be breezing by right now. One other important thing is to not procrastinate so much with FAFSA and financial Aid in general. Most of the easy to find scholarships are for highschool seniors and if I had gotten into the honors program I'd be set right now financially. Also, resume builing is important so whatever makes you look like a oustanding/ outgoing citizen is perfect.

Someone who is in to science and engineering, works well under pressure and does not mind being in a high crime area.

I talk down about a lot of things at this school. One is the Bursar office, which I feel is run by completely irresponsible people. Another is that the campus is generally not a safe place to walk around at at night. The classrooms get overcrowded, there is little to no campus life, and the male:female ratios are quite poor. Other than these, I have few issues with the school. The dorms are quite good, the food is as well. Its inexpensive and very conveniently located. The campus might be small, but it makes getting around easier.

All in all, if I had to pick schools again, I'd probably still end up in NJIT. I can't imagine myself taking IT courses anyplace else, or having met different people than the ones I've already met. I'm sure this is just because I've been here for three years now, but with an easy entry level into the school and tons of options available to whoever might be interested in applying, its definitely a big school to consider if your major of choice falls into the spectrum of what is offered here.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The biggest issue people complain about is the price, which can be pretty ridiculous since our prices are fairly low compared to those around us. Its not just about the price though, but about how our Bursar office goes about handling debt and unpaid tuitions mid-semester. It can leave those who aren't paying enough attention to their bills in a fairly dire situation.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The PE classes are very popular, with tons of fun and interesting options available. Outside of that it depends on your major. The intro: programming course are actually pretty fun, and a lot of the electives such as STS201/210 leave you smiling and thinking.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Best Parts: Buzzing with life when the weather is nice, and even buzzing when its not so great outside. Plenty of people to meet, and most people are friendly and fairly drama free. Worst Parts: It doesn't look to great, visually that is. Its not a great variety of colors. There also tends to be unbreakable cliques in terms of who you hang out with, even if you are friends or acquaintances of people in other cliques.

What do students complain about most?

There are two things that get complained about more than anything by veteran students here: the food and the girl:guy ratio. While the food here is good when you're new, it easily causes freshman 15 since if you have a plan its all you can eat. Also, once you've been eating it for years every day, it can feel pretty dull just out of repetition. As for the girl:guy ratio, just go next door to Rutgers and you'll be fine.

Freshman need to understand that while I'm sure you are tired about hearing that you need to learn to manage your time well for college, it is a complete truth. The workload can be overwhelming for people who aren't mentally prepared to sit down and do large sums of work for multiple classes on top of each other during the course of the week and even over the weekend.

What's the dating scene like?

You can find love in any shape or form here. Many, many couples get formed out of friendships that are found here or nearby here, perhaps at a party of sorts. If you look, you shall find.

What's the Greek scene like?

The Greek scene is massive. Every day they are making an impression on campus life, and every week people always go home or back to their rooms with something to say about Greek Life.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library indisputably. While during the spring it can be nice to do homework and such outside, or maybe your room is quiet a certain time of day and you want to do it there, the lack of distractions nearby when you are in the library make it an optimal place to really get your work done.

Tell us about your professors.

Most of my professors are really cool guys actually. There are a handful that are a pain to deal with, as expected, but for the most part I've had really good experiences with the professors that I've ended up with. Most are understanding and willing to work with you on almost anything.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

All of our teams are pretty good, and you can see athletes around all the time. There are also a ton of people who play recreational sports around Campus.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are plenty of places around to eat, as well as a pretty solid campus dining service that gives you plenty of options (sweets, dinners, international entrees, pasta, grill, carving station, fajitas, potatoes, breakfast, stir fry, salad, desserts, fruits, veges, make it yourself pizza/nachos, soups). There is Subway, Taco Bell, A salad place, a convenience store, a pizza place, and a commuter lounge all on campus with tons of food options.

What are your classes like?

Classes range from unbelievably easy to unfathomably hard. While the hardest of courses will come in required courses that you usually aren't too concerned about, there are a handful in each major that pose problems to people who don't give them serious attempts.

Our school looks like a crime-infested pit laying in the heart of Newark (far from the truth, but the jokes do get made).

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends around here are pretty much like a ghost town. It is best to arrange plans with friends if you do plan to stay, or else risk spending the weekend alone. If you want a weekend alone, well then this is the place to be.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

NJIT has plenty of ups and downs about it, but it is quality education for pretty reasonable prices. We are located fairly close to the city, and in a good location generally for getting to and from by public transportation. We are not necessarily in the bad part of Newark, infact the Ironbound district, which has all the best places to go eat and visit, is very close. However, do take care late at night when walking around alone. Its not common, but there are some cases of crime on campus, though they are usually resolved within the week of happening. Overall though, for any of the majors available, you can get a solid degree from here with some top notch education that is available.

That we are all computer geeks. There are several stereotypes and groups though: the architecture students all live in the archy building (true for the most part), IT students generally stick together within their major, the other three majors generally get along, the sports teams only affiliate amongst themselves, etc.

That depends. There are some steroetypes that definitely are true (the guy:girl ratio under most circumstances isn't great, though if you travel to other campus' often this isn't an issue). There are many circles of stereotypes here, though the most common one is that everyone is a computer geek. While this isn't really true, most of us are very technically inclined.

Well we do so much around campus it really is hard to pick just one thing. Thursday night is the notorious party night, which is always a tradition. Among other things are our seasonal events such as Irish Pub Night, Valentines day date raffle, Career fairs bi-annually, and much more.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Depending on which direction you walk, you may see cops or you may see rutgers, perhaps even the busy street life of MLK boulevard not too far off campus. Don't let what everyone tells you about Newark scare you away, just stay cautious and always travel in a group. We only really have 2-3 cases or problems with the town a year.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I have changed a great deal since coming to college, and all of it was really for the better. I have become more social, gotten in much better shape, came in contact with all kinds of people, joined some clubs, been appreciated by my fellow student for my hard work, etc. It is what you make of it, so figure out how to make the best of it fast so you can change into a better person.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I remember one day, some guy in a banana suit was trying to promote something but offering us hugs. I don't think he ever told me what he was promoting, but it was awesome to hi-five/hug a giant banana.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I'd say once a week depending on how worried about you your family is. I personally don't even call them, I text them a couple of times a week and come home every so often so let them know how I'm doing.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

You will feel quite out of place at social events where you aren't drinking and your peers all are. My advice is to arrange social events on nights other than Thursdays that don't involve drinking. This could be anything from a movie night, to a night in the game room bowling, club meetings, etc.

What do people really wear to class?

You will see all kinds of students and cultures at NJIT. Sometimes you may walk into a class and se what looks to be a group of normal college students. Among them is one dressed far more stylish than the rest, a handful of those who simply don't care, one individual who dresses for success, and potentially someone wearing a cowboy hat.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year depends on whether you are dorming or commuting. Together though, they do share the concept that it is difficult to adjust to the longer classes, the harder work, and the balancing between work and spare time.

The utter lack of female presence that isn't just students from Rutgers wandering over to our Gourmet Dining Services.

Describe the dorms.

The two dorms the freshman start off in vary greatly. Redwood is perfect for communing and meeting new people, while Cypress might lock you away, but gives you a safe and private feeling. Laurel and Oak are far more homey, and have far more tools within the building to keep its occupants the busy. However, the UC has everything a college student could want: gym, tanning beds, movie theatre, game room, lounges, washrooms every other floor, fully stocked kitchen, living area, 1 bathroom per 2 people, lots of events with the floors. The only drawback is SUPER THIN WALLS.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It very much interested me with its relatively low cost, convenient location, and the tools to cover the bases of the degree I want.

There aren't many docile group activities that our students are heavily involved in. The most influential is likely Greek Life, as is the idea of going out Thursday night. I met my closest friends through my friend from my home town, and we all get along and introduce each other to new people and help each other with our respective organizations.

There is some diversity amongst our campus, but there isn't enough to negate any stereotypes about the people here. There are a large number of South-Asians, with Caucasians coming right behind them. There are a great deal of mixed people, but no one really acts like anyone's different from themselves. Students who are used to the idea of "college is full of new girls to meet" would be pretty out of place here, because the male-female ratios ARE very bad. Most students dress like they normally would, with a few individuals standing out. Some majors converse with others, but they each have their group within their major that they hang out with mostly (unless you are in a fraternity of sorts). In the Dining Hall, there are a lot of tables that get taken up by people not wanting to sit next to each other and eating alone. Most of the students are from Jersey.

The stereotype of students at NJIT is that we are all nerds, geeks, computer junkies, and things along those lines. To some degree it is true, being a technical school and all. However, there are plenty of non-tech students who are far from this stereotype. People forget there is only one school directly related to computing sciences, and that only a few other majors in other colleges even apply to the geeky, nerdy outlook that is put upon us.

Jakub

Dear past Me, Get ready for a lot more work than you're used to. You might hear that college is experimenting and parties every day. That is so far from the truth. You will have time for friends and family. However, you have to start learning how to manage your time. The professors at college aren't as leignant as high school teachers. They don't take late work and usually don't have time for excuses. The work schedule is also different. Instead of doing most of the work at school, you'll be doing a lot of work at home. Try not to waste any free time you have because it will come back to haunt you later on. Most importantly, don't procrastinate. The work at college is not something you can do on the train or overnight. The assignments will just start to pile on if you don't keep up. Lastly, try to be outgoing during the first couple of days of college. Make friends who you can count on later on because you might be working with or for them in the future. Sincerely, Present Me.

The professors work with the students to inform them about future oppertunities. The professors also work together to insure the curriculum runs smoothly.

It is surrounded by a huge business city which causes most of the students to stay on campus.

Faisal

Over the years, I have heard a couple of different and unique stereotypes regarding the students at my school. One of the stereotypes was that it is mostly a male dominated school and you will never spot a female on campus. This is not true at all. New Jersey Institute of Technology accepts many females into the college and the female population is rising drastically. Another silly stereotype I have heard is that NJIT is known for its students to commit suicide. Fortunately, I have never heard of such an incident occur.

Luis

The best thing about this school has to be how close to home it is. The one thing I'll change is the desks; there are rooms with long nice desks that can fit all your books and notebooks and calculators then there are some rooms with desks so small not even a first grader book fits. The size of the school is just right, you will definetly get to know everyone in your department and some people outside your department as well through general classes. People think that I am Einstein when I tell them I go to this school which is something I am proud of. Most of my time I spend in the Honors Lounge, there's a computer room to get your work done; lounge area with couches and a tv to hang out and a study room for serious distraction free studyng. The area is definetly a college town, there are so many universities around here and the fact that NY is one 15minute train ride away makes it much better. The school's administration does a great job here on campus, they approve a lot of student activities and also have a plan to purchase nearby property in order to make the campus larger. The most recent controversy was that our school president resigned in the middle of last semester. Yea there's definitely school pride, basketball games, volleyball games , hockey games always get a large turnout. The most unusual thing is how easy it is to ask professors for help; they seem to always be available and they will know your name at the end of the semester. I'll always remember coming to this school as a high school student part of a program to take college level courses on saturdays; I instantly fell in love with the school. The most frequent complain is the lack of food choices around campus, if you don't have a meal plan to eat on campus you find yourself in a cycle of eating the same stuff.

The stereotype is that all NJIT students are geeks and only care about books. That is completely not true, NJIT is very diversed and people also go out and have a good time while still keeping up their grades.

Vincia

My college is known for our terrible parties and the nerds! While this is very true, it doesn't hurt to befriend nerds. When surrounded by people who want to succeed, it makes the college experience a little less overwhelming.

Samuel

From my experience, NJIT is a mediocre school. A few things I would like improved would be: to renew or expand the campus, to reexamine some professors because they really don't seem qualified to be teaching, and sadly there needs to be a larger female population. My school is far too small, I sometimes feel like I'm attending an extension of high school. The surrounding area around NJIT is also not too friendly. Many people do not want to live in Newark or even go off campus due to muggings and robberies that take place. My complaints of NJIT are fairly prolific throughout the school.

The answer to this question varies greatly, and is certainly subjective. I'm majoring in IT currently but I enjoy programming, and I know for a fact that half of the people in all of my IT classes would say that they hated it because it required some programming. That being said, I would say there are more bad professors than good professors. I've had a couple that I really enjoyed, who were very knowledgeable and challenging, and more often I get professors that are either too easy or don't seem fit for the job. Students at NJIT are not very academically competitive, and the academic requirements are quite low. Many people don't even seem to want to be there most of the time, but this may just be because they haven't found a suitable major.

There are many to be honest, a few being: everyone attending school at NJIT is from India, many of the males on campus are socially awkward, and that the population of the school is mainly male. Of course not everyone that goes to NJIT is Indian, but a fair amount of students have background there. Some but not all students are socially awkward, I would actually say a greater percentage are social. Unfortunately, the last stereotype is pretty true; the school is definitely composed of mostly males and the few females are usually in architecture or in graphic design.

David

My overall opinion of NJIT is positive.The one negative aspect I've had in my experiences has been requiring completely unnecessary courses to be able to graduate, even if said courses have not a thing to do with your major. However, this seems to be a requirement of nearly every college in existence, so I can either continue to rage against the collective machine, or just grit my teeth and deal with the horrors of calculus. The school size is fine, and NJIT overall seems to be held in high regard, I don't socialize too much while on campus, though this is possibly due to me being a hermit in a past life. I haven't had to deal with the administration too much, due to a long story that I shan't get into here, but I've heard mixed opinions from my friends. I can't recall the biggest recent controversy, but school pride seems to be fairly high, at least depending on who you ask. Most unusual aspect of NJIT would probably be its location - having a tech school in the heart of Newark is rather strange when you think about it. I'm not a party-type, so I can't recall any specific experiences I've had, but I will remember the friends I've made (and lost). The most frequent student complaints generally are about tuition, or the bursar in general. Again, I wouldn't really know.

What are your classes like?

If I may paraphrase the rapper Cryptic One, my classes run the gamut from outstanding to preposterous. Some are general, straightforward lectures, usually with a professor reading from a textbook or Powerpoint presentation - thankfully there aren't too many of these. Most of my classes tend to be more discussion-based, though this will obviously vary depending on what class you're taking and what professor you've gotten. Even among the humanities, there are some professors who very much enjoy the sound of their own voice, even above that of the students'.

I don't live on campus and don't belong to any groups, so I'm not much help in those areas. Guest speakers and the theater seem to generate a good turnout, though. I've dated twice in college, one of which ended disastrously, so I'm not the best person to talk to about that either. I met my friends through classes, usually either getting paired up in groups or just general small talk, although there's really only one person I've met from campus who I'd consider a good friend rather than just a school friend. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday it means something is terribly wrong, as I need to wake up a 6:30 for my morning commute. Parties seem frequent, judging by conversations I've overheard, and frat/sorority life seems to be extremely important for people who pledge. Last weekend I stayed home, played video games, and did math homework. I spend a majority of my time off campus, so video games and math homework aren't all I do. I hang out with friends, go on the computer, normal stuff.

Campus seems to be rather progressive in all areas, due to the incredibly mixed student body. There are extracurricular clubs for all sorts of different ethnic and sexual groups; however you identify yourself, NJIT almost certainly has a club for you. No one is out of place. I don't pay attention to fashion, but different students interact all the time. In the dining hall, one table will consist of all Middle Eastern kids of varying genders; at another, three Caucasians and two Asians will be chatting about gaming or classes. At yet another, a few black kids will almost certainly be sitting together; and at still another will be a quiet fat kid absorbed in his salad and laptop (this is me). Most students, if I had to guess would be from Jersey, though there's undoubtedly many out-of-state students who have emigrated to our lovely campus. Financial background seems to be pretty mixed, though I generally don't ask as it's not polite. Students seem to very politically aware, though you'll generally only notice it around election time. Again, campus is very mixed, so I'd imagine the overall political viewpoint is to the left, but again, I haven't asked. I haven't heard anyone talk about how much they learn, but I don't think anyone has done that since grade school.

Some professors know my name, some don't, and some simply don't care. It all depends on how active you are in class and what sort of professor you have, though this undoubtedly varies between majors. Speaking of which, I'm a Communication and Media major, which differs from a regular Communications degree at another school due to the presence of the word "Media." My favorite class would probably be Oral Presentations, if only because I'm a very public speaker, and got to regale my fellow students with the bizarre history of Scandinavian heavy metal. Least favorite would probably be Probability and Statistics, because I'm extremely dumb when it comes to math, so this class is the equivalent of being punched in the face twice a week. Students study quite a bit; though the studying level undoubtedly increases around exam time, the library is nearly always full of people working (I would know, as the library has become a second home for me in recent semesters). I can't recall any particular intellectual discourse outside of discussion-oriented classes, though I've heard many conversations about video games and/or wild frat parties. There doesn't seem to be any real competition though, at least from what I've seen. Most unique class would probably be Cybertext, a class seemingly focused on warping your perceptions as to what literature can be. Some of the professors are rather personable outside of class, schedule permitting of course, and it's nice to be able to have a chat about punk rock with a guy who has a Ph.D in Literature. The school's academic requirements are, as I said earlier, annoyingly strict, but no worse than any other college. Education seems to be a bit of a mix, again depending on what class you're taking - some professors will teach because they want you to learn, some professors will teach because they want to help you to get a job, and some professors will teach simply so that they themselves can get a paycheck every two weeks. That's generally how it works, in colleges all throughout the country.

The general stereotype seems to be "geeks," though this isn't meant in a bad way. If anything, many students seem to wear the tag as a badge of honor - there's a reason the (possibly defunct?) NJIT radio station is lovingly referred to as "Geek Radio." As for accuracy, it's a tech school, so of course the campus demographics are going to skew slightly towards the geeky side, though as NJIT likes to promote,we're an extremely diverse student body. All colors, creeds, and personality stereotypes are welcome.

Christian

This school is very good academically and very serious about its studies. Most of the students here are very committed to their school work. One of the best things about the school is the library. It is very spacious with several. It is the ideal place to get your work done in peace. I feel that the school is a little to small for my liking, Since I am from New York when I tell my friends that I go to NJIT they don't really say anything because they have not heard of it. NJIT is not in a college town what so ever. It is in the middle of Newark. Since I am part of the Men's Soccer team I spend most of my time on campus. A lot of people seem to complain about the schools administration. A lot of people say that they seem to blow people off and send them to other people rather then taking care of the problem at hand personally. I don't think there is much school pride at NJIT. Most students don't really know what school pride is since they are international students. One experience that I will never forget was this fall when I played against Virginia Tech at home in front of a thousand people and we won 2-1.

I feel that the most popular groups on campus are athletic teams. Especially the basketball and soccer team. I am part of the Men's soccer team. I am the captain of the team. We are a competitive group and we all get a long really well Sometimes students leave their doors open in the dorms. Athletic events are pretty popular a lot of students attend them. I have gone to see a couple of guest speakers and they draw a good crowd. I know several people who are in relationships and i see couples walking through campus. The dating scene is very alive at my school. I have met all of my closest friends through soccer and school. If awake i'm awake at 2am i'm either studying or watching television. I believe that people party depending on how much school work they have. There are several fraternities and sororities at my school and many people follow them. Last weekend I had a soccer game, hung out with my friends and family and went out to eat. On a Saturday night that does not involve drinking I can go to the movies with my friends, go out to a party and not drink, play video games, or watch a sporting event. I go the New York City sometimes and play soccer off campus.

I don't really have much experience with religious or racial groups on campus.However I play on the men's soccer team and there are kids on the team from all over the world. I don't think any student would feel out of place at my school because it is so diverse. Most students dress casual to school. Yes different types of students do interact i have witnessed this many times in the dining hall. When i walk in the dining hall there is always a mix of kids sitting together it never seems to be segregated. Students are from all over the place for example the middle east, Asia, South America and America. Most students seem to be financially stable. Students are politically aware and predominantly center. Students always talk about their future and what they would like to or will earn in the future.

The academics at my school are very good. Most professors know my name because I have spoken to them in the past. My favorite class that i took this fall was Oral presentation. However my least favorite was statistics. participation is pretty common, I like to participate and interact with my classmates. I always catch students talking about academics outside of the classroom like in the cafeteria. Students at my school are very competitive and always try to do their best. The most unique class that i have ever taken has to be CPR. I am majoring in communications and media. The department is very good in my opinion. My Funkhouser Is helpful and leads his students in the right direction. I go to my professors office hours about every other week to speak about my current progress or any of the projects assigned in class. I feel that the academic requirements at my school are fair. They cover all of the basic classes. Lastly this school is geared towards getting students into the workforce.

I just transferred to this school in the fall. I didn't here anything about the school until I actually started attending my classes and interacted with other students. Most student say that there are not my girls,most of the students are international students, and that it is a depressing school. Well i haven't seen to many girls however there are some, a lot of the student body is from different countries, and the school can get boring at times.

New Jersey Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.