Newark, NJ
New Jersey Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New Jersey Institute of Technology

Fixed  rate loan

Cindy

I like NJIT a lot! I transferred from a large university last semester and I immediately found my niche. Plus, it's a good schools that employers look at. I spend most of my time in the club office for SHPE, that's where I always go to if I wanna just laugh and relax. The food? It obviously gets boring after a while, but there's something new every day and if you'd like you can cook something up yourself, so the unlimited buffet is pretty awesome. However, I wish that you could take the food out of the cafeteria; once you enter the buffet style caf, you cannot take food out (unless you sneak it out). College town? well there are plenty of colleges surrounding and we're in the city, so enjoy it! There's always something to do on or off campus. School pride? I wish there was more of it, but there is some. Sports aren't huge here, so that's part of the reason as well as that NJIT is a big commuter school. Changes? I'd change the online system. We use Moodle, but I prefer Blackboard. Also, the professors are not that great, but you can interact with them more because of small classes. Also, the financial aid office is not quick to respond to anything, so they're always a pain to go to. Overall, I like this school and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I came here because they offered the major I wanted and not many colleges nearby did. Also, the price was right, it's a public school and as a NJ resident, it wasn't as expensive as going elsewhere or to a private school. Also, it's a smaller school, and coming from a small high school, I preferred the closer attention individuals get. Lastly, I like the diverse student body; i get to learn about other cultures and meet different people. I also found my niche in a cultural organization here that is very popular - Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers.

What do students complain about most?

They either complain about the workload or how much the professors suck. It's an engineering and architecture school, so you can expect a lot of hard work. And the professors are really smart but some just cannot teach. Don't be surprised if you get a bad professor.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

At NJIT, you have plenty to choose from, but like anything else, it gets boring by the end of the semester. Because I dorm, i get "continuous dining" which is like a buffet style cafeteria, you swipe once and get to eat as much as you want. There's a lot of choices there- grill, rotisserie, fajita station,nacho station, pizza, and there's new international entres every day. There's also a sushi bar and an area to just make whatever you want called, "Wok it up." Outside the cafeteria there's a Starbuck's, grill, Taco Bell, salad bar and a lot of what's inside except without the entres and cook your own stuff stations. We also have a pub with more grill options and wings and beer (if you're over 21). Finally, if you get bored of all this, we have a lot of small restaurants and grease trucks around us since there's other colleges and Newark also has a lot of delicious restaurants in the Ironbound area that will not break your budget.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Well there aren't really any popular classes here because everyone has a pretty strict curriculum that they have to follow. There are just a handful of electives to choose from and it specifically says "technical elective."A bigger deal here is the professor. The popular professors get filled up quick and sometimes it means an easy A or a lot more work than the class deserves.

Tell us about your professors.

Some of them are good and some of them are terrible. A lot of them are really smart and know the subject but are not good teachers. A lot of them also have foreign accents which sometimes makes it hard to understand them. Most of them, even if they can't teach, they're nice people and if you get on their good side, they can help you out on your final grade. They all also have office hours at some point during the week so you can reach them, but I'm sure their availability varies.

What's the Greek scene like?

Not that big at NJIT, but the few frats and sororities that are here, usually have activities throughout the semester. There are also some frats that have houses down the street. Like usual, plenty of frat parties on Thursday nights. It's not huge, but certainly not nonexistent.

The biggest student orgs are Muslim Student Association, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, National Society of Black Engineers, and then a few other cultural ones that I don't remember. Then there's Society of Women Engineers, Student Government, Student Activities Council, that are really big too and always have activities. There are always activities going on in the campus center and tables set up to learn more about orgs and sometimes they have craft tables set up or food sales. Trust me, always something going on on-campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports aren't that big here but the sports scene is growing. The school is putting more money into athletics and we have new facilities for athletes and students to use. Soccer is big here, even though we're not the best, you will usually see groups of students playing soccer on the new field.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off-campus, you're in Newark. For some people that's enough to say it all but to others: It's not the safest place, but it also has a lot to offer. Also remember, you're surrounded by a couple other colleges, so you're not the only college student in the area. You'll see tall buildings, a lot of businesses and big company headquarters, a soccer stadium, hockey arena, and NJPAC. You could also walk to Penn Station which could take you pretty much anywhere from there. You're in the middle of NJ's biggest city with a lot of culture and history and plenty to do. Just remember, you're in Newark, NOT safe, so be smart.

It's a small city school, so there's more concrete than green, but the school does have a plan/project to improve this and expand the school. NJIT is pretty much a green grassy rectangle with a bunch of building around it, including the student center, which is probably why the student center is the hub for all students all the time. There are some extras outside of the "rectangle," a few more buildings (mostly the newer ones), a new soccer field, some newer dorms and the parking deck. It's a quaint place, but nothing spectacular and it makes it easy to walk to class.

What are your classes like?

My classes require a lot of work, but it all depends on your major. There are other majors that require way more work like architecture. However, we all take similar classes at first - calculus, physics, intro to programming, composition. The usual required classes are the same, except that they put a big emphasis on math and science. If you come to this school, you better like those two subjects. Other than that, classes are normal. Some professors are good, and others not, and some don't care if you're there or not. You'll see that your grade is mostly determined by 2-4 exams so we definitely make time for studying. There are obviously some real tough classes, but you'll always find someone to help you, you just have to want it.

The class sizes are not too big so my professors always know my name and if you're nice to them, I've had no problem getting extra help. Since we're a tech school, I like my math and physics classes, but I do have to take more liberal arts classes and I completely despise doing their work. Plus, those classes aren't that good, not the school's forte. There are a lot of smart students here, so you here plenty of intellectual and technology oriented conversations. But don't worry we're not all boring. I'm a construction engineering major and my department is pretty small so I do get recognition, which is helpful when you need something from them. Other departments aren't bad either. If I go to them, I could easily talk to whoever I need. Considering we take a lot of science and math, we also have to take humanities and non technical courses, but they aren't overwhelming, so it's not too much. It's a good balance for a student who prefers math or science. Lastly, I definitely think NJIT prepares me to get a job. Students usually get good jobs and internships after being here, so we're obviously doing something right!

Since frats and sports aren't that big here, we don't have those stereotypes. However, we are a tech school so many say there aren't enough girls here and that those that are here, aren't available. Also, that the boys aren't that attractive. I guess they're accurate. Our gender ratio certainly shows that boys outnumber girls and I'm a girl who is already taken lol. And for the others guys here, there's not much to choose from!

John

What I seem to see the most of and be a part of is career development services, like career fairs. The social availability of future progress for intended career have been priority at NJIT.

The studio classrooms, although in rather larger gymnasium rooms, are separated in a periodic 15 students to 1 faculty. Having that said, the availability of one on one consultation with the faculty is over exceeding well.

Christine

My experience as a fresh-faced college student would have been much easier had I known that I could have earned more credits taking AP courses. Tuition is becoming harder to afford and I could have saved a lot by working harder to score better on AP exams. I also would have given my former self a lecture on the pros of community college; I was extremely reluctant at first because of the reputation of my local college but it turned out to be a practical choice in terms of affordability. I also would have persuaded myself to continue community service in addition to my current part-time job so that it would reflect better on my transfer application. In addition, I would have worked harder on my pSATs so that I might have qualified for the National Merit Scholar status.

Bishoy

NJIT I believe is one of the most diverse universities I have ever visited. I noticed a wide variety of focus on transfer students in NJIT amongst new admissions as well. One other thing is that if the classmates in the class are of the same origin, there is bound to be a violation of the Honor Code as opposed to that classroom with fewer groups of the same ethnic backround. These ethnis groups walk around in packs.

One major advice I would give myself if able to speak to my high school teen being is that I need to know what it is I want to be before I'm handed off my high school diploma. The fact of the matter is that if you go into college undecided you will be wasting precious time in starting your life. But to give yourself the chance of knowing what it is you want to do before actually attending college means you can get a head start on being able to interact with the future image of who it is you want to be. See whether or not it is actually worth it, and off of that encounter base your decision on whether or not you want to continue with the specified major you had originally picked out for yourself. Two things you learn that you will never get back in life is time and money, and being in College is teaching you how to establish yourself using both in the best and most efficient way possible. After all its the begining of leaving everything behind and starting on your own.

The worst thing about NJIT is the social community lacking in its interaction. If there was more active in school spirit, it would be more engaging and encourage the students that are already registered in the school to be more optimistic about wandering the campus. One thing I've noticed about wandering NJIT in the passed couple of years I've spent here is that students can also be more open to each other as opposed to the secluded and closed off groups they've created amongst the variety of ethinic groups available.

Lee

This school is for those who seek an engineering or computer degree.

This school is for those who seek an engineering or computer degree.

Excelling in the math and sciences have assisted me in making my decision to apply to a school that is more technology-based than liberal-based. I would have become social quicker, joined in on more activities and volunteered my time to causes that inspired me, which would have make me a more diversified student. I would tell myself that it's never too late to become a part of something that makes you feel good about yourself. When you feel good about yourself, you attract others that feel the same way. Making friends in college is so different than making friends in high school. You can have a fresh start and make it work for you. College life is what you make of it, not what others remember about you because there is no background.

Erika

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take it easy and slow. I rushed my classes at Waubonsee Community College becuaase I just wanted to get done and go to North Central. I was taking and still am taking six to eight classes a semester and working two jobs. In doing this I can't just focus on a few classes so I don't do that well in all of them. I also would have liked to tell myself that I can do it! No matter how tough it gets, I can get through anything. I wish I would have known how tough times were going to get but even though it was hard at times I made it. I would have also told myself that I can get into North Central and I did. Now I'm probably going to wish in another two years that I could tell myself all of this again but I hope that I learn from these experiences and know that I can do anything. So what I am going to tell myself now for going into a four year university is; enjoy it. Get involved!

Nissa

Don't say no to anything. Thinking back to when I was in high school, I wanted to do so many things that I said no to. I do regret not doing these things. I wanted to volunteer at the hospital but I did not. Now that I am older, I realize that volunteering would have not only helped me find my desired career, it would have made someone's day special. Also, I would tell myself to expect the unexpected. Seeing all of these other students getting scholarships made me want one, I never thought that the hardest teacher I have had would nominate me for the All-Academic Team. In addition, I would tell myself that transition is not hard unless you make it to be hard. I have seen many other students that I have graduated with give up because they thought it was too hard. I felt that making friends, talking to teachers, and volunteering for school programs have helped my transition be the best possible. Also, I would tell myself not to stress over the little things and not to procrastinate. This advice would have helped me take advantage of every opportunity I have had.

Alana

Looking back, there is plenty of advice I'd like to have had. As a third year college student, I'm proud of how far I have come, and excited for where I will go. Through high school I battled a lot of mental health issues that held me back, so I can relate to all the struggles teens go through. I was afraid to step out of my comfort zone, and I was afraid of failure. I now tell graduating seniors that I know to not be afraid and just go for it. You never know until you try. Keep your chin up and your head in the game. College is a great experience and your education will never let you down. Always remember: you CAN do it!

smruti

College life is a phase to learn, enjoy, feel the fun & joy of life and not just mere books and theoretical concepts. Its a phase which serves as a turning point for any individual. Taking a person to heights or the lower end lies on how an individual acts at that moment. Its very critical that a student makes the right decison and choices as and when needed. Its a phase where each and every moment is to cherised. Do not spoil the moment. Good luck !!!

Service by the office addendants .

Hayley

Knowing what I know now about college life, the best piece of advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate on homework. Keep track of the class syllabus to make sure you are on top of things or even getting assignments done in advance. Staying on top of your coursework can help in so many aspects; such as not being stressed about having your homework done on time and being more prepared for tests. This is one trait that I intend to take with me.

New Jersey Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.