New Jersey Institute of Technology Top Questions

c

a

Samuel

The answer to this question varies greatly, and is certainly subjective. I'm majoring in IT currently but I enjoy programming, and I know for a fact that half of the people in all of my IT classes would say that they hated it because it required some programming. That being said, I would say there are more bad professors than good professors. I've had a couple that I really enjoyed, who were very knowledgeable and challenging, and more often I get professors that are either too easy or don't seem fit for the job. Students at NJIT are not very academically competitive, and the academic requirements are quite low. Many people don't even seem to want to be there most of the time, but this may just be because they haven't found a suitable major.

Some professors know my name, some don't, and some simply don't care. It all depends on how active you are in class and what sort of professor you have, though this undoubtedly varies between majors. Speaking of which, I'm a Communication and Media major, which differs from a regular Communications degree at another school due to the presence of the word "Media." My favorite class would probably be Oral Presentations, if only because I'm a very public speaker, and got to regale my fellow students with the bizarre history of Scandinavian heavy metal. Least favorite would probably be Probability and Statistics, because I'm extremely dumb when it comes to math, so this class is the equivalent of being punched in the face twice a week. Students study quite a bit; though the studying level undoubtedly increases around exam time, the library is nearly always full of people working (I would know, as the library has become a second home for me in recent semesters). I can't recall any particular intellectual discourse outside of discussion-oriented classes, though I've heard many conversations about video games and/or wild frat parties. There doesn't seem to be any real competition though, at least from what I've seen. Most unique class would probably be Cybertext, a class seemingly focused on warping your perceptions as to what literature can be. Some of the professors are rather personable outside of class, schedule permitting of course, and it's nice to be able to have a chat about punk rock with a guy who has a Ph.D in Literature. The school's academic requirements are, as I said earlier, annoyingly strict, but no worse than any other college. Education seems to be a bit of a mix, again depending on what class you're taking - some professors will teach because they want you to learn, some professors will teach because they want to help you to get a job, and some professors will teach simply so that they themselves can get a paycheck every two weeks. That's generally how it works, in colleges all throughout the country.

The academics at my school are very good. Most professors know my name because I have spoken to them in the past. My favorite class that i took this fall was Oral presentation. However my least favorite was statistics. participation is pretty common, I like to participate and interact with my classmates. I always catch students talking about academics outside of the classroom like in the cafeteria. Students at my school are very competitive and always try to do their best. The most unique class that i have ever taken has to be CPR. I am majoring in communications and media. The department is very good in my opinion. My Funkhouser Is helpful and leads his students in the right direction. I go to my professors office hours about every other week to speak about my current progress or any of the projects assigned in class. I feel that the academic requirements at my school are fair. They cover all of the basic classes. Lastly this school is geared towards getting students into the workforce.

Cindy

The class sizes are not too big so my professors always know my name and if you're nice to them, I've had no problem getting extra help. Since we're a tech school, I like my math and physics classes, but I do have to take more liberal arts classes and I completely despise doing their work. Plus, those classes aren't that good, not the school's forte. There are a lot of smart students here, so you here plenty of intellectual and technology oriented conversations. But don't worry we're not all boring. I'm a construction engineering major and my department is pretty small so I do get recognition, which is helpful when you need something from them. Other departments aren't bad either. If I go to them, I could easily talk to whoever I need. Considering we take a lot of science and math, we also have to take humanities and non technical courses, but they aren't overwhelming, so it's not too much. It's a good balance for a student who prefers math or science. Lastly, I definitely think NJIT prepares me to get a job. Students usually get good jobs and internships after being here, so we're obviously doing something right!

The studio classrooms, although in rather larger gymnasium rooms, are separated in a periodic 15 students to 1 faculty. Having that said, the availability of one on one consultation with the faculty is over exceeding well.

Allan

I know many of my professors name, and many of them know mine. The library is one of the strongest points which helps academic life, and you get to know your classmates better since there are a small amount of students in a class. In my opinion the smaller amount of students in a class, the more educational value you get. Since social life isnt that great, most students seem to talk about their major, and about science and technology, which is a plus side also. It seems that most of the students that graduate from NJIT get a job right away, since technology plays a big part of our society and keeps advancing. It seems that all majors aren't joke majors, meaning all majors are useful in our society, instead of majors people dont care about. NJIT networking is pretty good also

NJIT has a great reputation (engineering and architecture) in the area surpassing its actual education. Enrollment is up 35{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and there has been no money into new facilities or new professors to handle the extra load. The university's stance is that we can handle the influx of population and reorganization of syllabi will result in no loss in education from the educators. Recently much of the income is being pushed into athletic programs and facilities, but the issue of lacking support is not new. The NJSOA (Architecture College) is well respected by the field and the accrediting board, but every accreditation review the board always mentions the insufficient library, printing, and professor amenity support.

Practical Journalism is a pretty good class we even went to NYC to see them tape the news is it not nifty? Some of my friends are archies and comp sci and they say that some of the classes are like theory or whatever but most of them are like hands on stuff ... Tom Brokaw don't teach here but a lot of the other departments have people who are working and teaching so that's gotta be good right?