Las Vegas, NM
New Mexico Highlands University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New Mexico Highlands University

Johana
I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I think it would be hard for the fact that there's going to be people that will offer you no matter what. It depends on yourself to accept or no.

Tell us about your professors.

To this point where I am which is pass mid-term I could say my professors are awesome people. They push me to get work done, they show that they care about your work and their willing to help you at any moment.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

In Highlands University we have a place called the Purple Brew. This place allows us to use computers and a place to finish our homework or any type of work.

The worst thing about my school would be that there's not much to do on free time.

Love it. The overall school is great. The professors are nice and friendly and since it's a small school you can actually get some one on one with your professors.

The good thing about this school is that since it's small you can go to your professors if you are having any type of problems or need help

Chance

Knowing what I know now, I would go back and tell myself to get my grades up and look in to scholarships sooner. That is the biggest mistake I ever made. It has cost me so much money that I have almost lost the desire to finish school because once I graduate I will be in so much debt from college. I will be over 60,000$ in debt once I graduate school and that has been the most frstrating part of the entire experience.

The best part of attending NMHU is that having the ability to play the sport you love while having enough time for school and a social life. There are opportunities outside of sports with activities and school gatherings to get out and meet people in the school like faculty and other classmates.

The person that should attend NMHU is someone that is willing to work hard and likes to be in a small comfortable town.

Josh

It is mostly mexicans and hispanics.

It is mostly mexicans and hispanics.

Read more student reviews and visit the college before you attend because if you don't like it and want to transfer, you have to deal with some credits not transferring. I would have transferred if i could have because I don't like this school at all and someone needs to investigate it.

A low life who is poor, stupid and likes drama

Dear high school self, Apply for as many scholarships as possible because college expenses add up even with financial aid assistance. Find part time jobs in the field that you want to go into, to gain experience and build on your resume. Start learning how to reference properly in APA style. Go in to the office when you need something because people generally do not like to answer their phones. Buy all your books used online and save the books that are focused on your field of study, they will come in handy when references are necessary. Take advantage of the resources that are available at the college and constantly look for opportunities. Enjoy and have fun being a college student because it will be over before you know it. Be responsible and do not get kicked out of college or fail a class for prioritizing your social life. Be aware that there are so many careers out there that you have never heard of. Do not limit your dreams to fit common careers like a lawyer or a doctor. Search for what fits you best, and I’m sure there is a career to make those dreams a reality.

The worst thing about New Mexico Highlands University is the distance from my residency to the college branch that I am attending. The closest branch is an hour a way from my residence and I do not have the financial means to live on the main campus or move closer to the main campus/college branch. Getting home after ten o'clock at night and having to get up early the next day for a practicum gets exhausting.

The most frustrating thing about New Mexico Highlands is the lack of information presented to seniors. Preparing to graduate has been frustrating because their is no direction on the procedures required to finalize the graduation process. Students must ask and spread the word among classmates. Also, other information has been incorrectly presented to students causing confusion and ultimate frustration.

Kymberly

I haven't had a chance to meet a lot of students because I will be new but I was given a tour by a former student and have met several student workers around campus while applying for financial aid and registering for classes. One of the main things I noticed is how friendly every one on campus is. Everybody waves, says hello, and seems really happy. It is exactly the type of place I want to be.

There are several crucial pieces of advice I wish I could go back and give myself. The first one is that I really needed to find some extra help with math classes instead of just trying to make it through the class itself. I was able to pass all my classes, but because I never gained the best grasp on the concepts I struggle with it now. I've learned the hard way that getting assistance in areas you struggle is essential to success later down the line. The foundation is important. The other major piece of advice would be to explore as many career opportunities as possible while I was in high school so that choosing my major would have been easier. I struggled with choosing and it has put me behind in my graduation date now that I have made up my mind. While in college, I've made a point to be part of clubs and events on campus and it really makes every part of school more enjoyable; more than just passing between classes and doing homework. I'd definitely tell myself to take part in more clubs and events on campus.

I will be new to the school this semester and compared with many other schools in the state, the class sizes are small. The tuition rates are lower than the other 4 year institututions in New Mexico. Probably the best thing about it is how individualized the education is set up to be. There are many opportunities for one on one tutoring and extra help if you are struggling. Advising is individualized based on your needs with your chosen major and living situation. I commute, so they set all my classes on three days.

Mayte

College years are best known for the "partying" and what not. Stay focus and keep in mind that the main reason why you go to college is to earn a degree so more doors can be opened. It doesn't mean that you cannot have fun but make school your priority, learn as much as you can and take andvantage of the opportunities given to you because at the end no one else will suffer or benefit from the choices you made but you.

Anyone who is interested to meet and be around diverse groups of people and want to attent a school in the SouthWest area. Also, people/students that like smaller classes where professors have and take the time to know and help students outside the classroom.

Undergraduate and graduate senate are combiened. This is frustrating because some of the concerns and necessities that affect graduate students are overlooked since there is a higher undergraduate population. Some of us are fighting to change this.

Sydney

The campus is not that big and if your not afraid to get out there and do activities you can have plenty to do.

Some advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to take a lot of different class, in different subject, and see if what you want to major in is truly what you want to do. I would also like to tell myself that when you get there to get out and join a club; don't stop yourself or talk yourself out of joining a club or sport because you were afraid. The last thing I would tell myself is to not doubt yourself when you get there, do not doubt what you want to do with your life because when your first year is over and done with their will still be questions that have not be answered and you never know what the next semester will bring you. So over all I would tell myself as a high school senior to broaden your horizon and try something new while you are in a new place and a new situation.

The transportation, there is not many options on transportation if you do not have a car but, there is a couple places that you can walk to.

Margaret

The classes are very small, and the teachers are always available to help

The classes are very small, and the teachers are always available to help

If I could go back in time, I would tell the high school me to work a little harder with the classes that I did have. I would also suggest taking classes at the local colleges, just to get a jump start with my college career. I would have also gotten better study habits before going to college. That is one thing that is very important. I would have also looked and applied for more scholarships. Before attending college I would have thought about what I wanted to study, that way I would have already known and gotten started with the program that I was most interested in.

That it small and the professors are really helpful.

Victoria

NMHU has a very good education program and that is why I decided to go there. Most of the teachers are very helpful and care about the students.

I have learned a lot about myself in the past 3 years that I have been in college. Not only have I learned more about how to be a good teacher, I finally understand why becoming a teacher is so important. I am passionate about helping students succeed. College has helped me realize how passionate and how important teaching is. Also I have met some of my closest friends in college. College has been a place that I learned what I want to do in the future and it has helped me learn what I should look for in a friend. I think that with out college I would be stuck in life, but instead I am pushing myself to get a degree and make it to a career.

I attend a center not the main campus. I have had trouble with making sure the main campus has all my paperwork. So anyone who gets frustrated by people who do not know what they are doing should not attend a center for NMHU.

New Mexico Highlands University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.