New Mexico Highlands University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New Mexico Highlands University

Pedro

In my opinion New Mexico Highlands University is an amazing university. It is a small university with classes no bigger than 50 students and it is very affordable especially for people that come from low income families. I highly recommend this university especially if you are a resident of New Mexico and other nearby states. We also have great sports programs, the sports we have include men/women basketball, wrestling, baseball, and rugby. Overall Highlands is a great university to go to after high school.

Casandra

New Mexico Highlands University for me so far has been an amazing experience, there are many people who share my passions on campus and like many of the same things that I do. That is not to say though that it is not a diverse group of people who are on campus. We have many international students, and it is really diverse here for a small town in New Mexico. There is more to do on campus and outside in the town then there was in my previous year, and it is a luxury to have some of these items but not to many that it is distraction from school work, but enough to be sociable with friends, family and new people to be met in the community, and at the school! I have also experienced many amazing events and amazing features on this campus and new people that I never thought I would get out of beside a big city where I am from. The campus is big enough but small enough for a student to get around, I love the professors, not to mention the small class sizes where I am considered a person and not just a number or a student the professor doesn’t know. They are more than understanding about different family situations and very considerate of how people are coming into the school especially new freshman. After your first year, you pretty much know a lot about the campus already. Sure there are some things that could be fixed on the campus such as some of the buildings and maybe more inclusion but overall the experience I have had here are wonderful, I plan to even get my masters and staying in this town after I graduate!

Janessa

Overall highlands has a lot of different classes and holds a free activity almost every night for students to partake in. They play movies every Wednesday and Friday. The professors are very available and willing to help students succeed. The school even provides on campus jobs that work around your class schedules.

Bethany

I think it is very diverse. A lot of friendly feelings from the staff. There is tons of opportunities to study if your dorm is too loud. Everything is in walking distance. We even have a little store full of snacks, lighters, vitamins, medicine and other necessities.

Abbigale

Overall it’s a great university. It’s just like any normal university you put in the work and u will definitely see the results. Yes students have their fun time, like partying on the weekends, but that following Monday everything is back to normally and students are ready to put in that work again in the classroom. It’s well balanced not for everyone, it depends on that individual who knows why they are here and know what they have to do in order to achieve what they came for.

Makenna

I initially like it when i came on my visit, but that has changed over my two years here. The cafeteria's food is not very good. There's not a lot of options for classes. The town is kind of boring. There are some really caring and great professors here as well. Sports bring the school together.

i would recommend highlands university to anyone who is looking for education in my beautiful small town. we have an excellent fine arts program, a pretty large science program covering many sciences, and a great English department. we have lots of athletes and sports to tryout for!

Gabrielle

To be honest, I like New Mexico Highlands University. It's a great school, but of course there is always some bad along with the good at any school or place. For example, the housing and meal plan at the school is so expensive that it take a toll to afford it, especially coming from my background. What I have experience with my education though at the school is amazing. I have learn so much in my time here from the class room and at work. I have grown so much as a person and I owe that to New Mexico Highlands University and the people I have met here.

Antonia

It's a good college to go to if your career choice is Social Work and you need a college that has affordable tuition and is close to home. Highlands University is also conveniently located in Rio Rancho, Farmington, Santa Fe, and Las Vegas NM. Lastly, Highlands University has an Advanced Standing Program for people want to finish their MSW program in one year.

Connor

Overall, New Mexico Highlands University is a door-opener. If a person takes their education seriously, and makes the most out of their experience, it will be rewarding and opportunities certainly do await many students after graduation. While extra-curricular activities may be relatively lower on the scale, so to speak, this probably due to the small school population, and the small town itself. It's overall calm, stable place to be, and certainly is the hub of higher education in Las Vegas, New Mexico.

Lexandra

Highlands is in the town that I grew up in, professors can be rude, and some do take things very personal. It isn't a big university so the classes are small, and teachers are able to develop one on one relationships with the students. The only thing is, that if they don't like you, some will refuse to teach you. You have to pick your fights with this one.

Angela

I am absolutely loving the Counseling Graduates Program and all that it has had to offer. I am actually choosing to go for a dual concentration so that I may continue my education at NMHU. I have loved all of my professors thus far and really appreciate the level of discussions and real world training we are having during lecture.

Dondi

It is school for individuals that should come to get their grades up and stay out of trouble. Their isn't much to do but you wouldn't have to worry about focusing on your studies. The cafeteria food is not good but the restaurant Einsteins come to the rescue when your hungry and don't have transportation.

Angelica

NMHU in my opionion is a pretty outstanding school. One always finds something to do and the amount of people in a classroom is not that big, but it makes it easier to get access to extra help from the professors. The best part about it is the staff from NMHU actually wants to see you succeed and will help you in anyway possible!