Old Westbury, NY
New York Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York Institute of Technology

Alanys

My classmates are very diverse in terms of our cultural and ethnic backgrounds. In every one of my classes I have students that may have come from Paris, Brazil or Colombia. These students are international students that have come from their countries without anyone to accompany them. The classmates make them feel welcome by including them in conversations or asking them questions about their country. My classmates are fun to be around because they provide a relaxed and calm environment where we can learn and also have fun at the same time.

I would advice myself to take the college transition very serious because high school and college are extremely different. In college there is more freedom to do whatever you would like, which may sometimes cause you to be distracted from school work. It is important to use this freedom to your advantage and to also learn how to manage your time carefully. For example, in highschool teachers would constantly remind you when homework was due. In contrast, college professors put it upon the students to be responsible enough to check their syllabus constantly for the homework assignments. Although for many students this might be a negative aspect of college life, college teaches us how to be responsible while also preparing us for the future. While it is important to have fun during your college years, there is always time for work and time for play. The key to success is to learn how to differentiatite between both. If we want to become sucessfull, it is important to make sacraffices that will be worth it in the long run.

Before attending New York Institute of Technology, I wish I would have known about the teaching methods in the school. I find it very interesting and different that our school makes use of their technology when teaching students. Since there are multiple campus locations, teachers have the ability to teach their students through a webcam. For example, at the Old Westbury campus there are classrooms where students are taught through a screen. The person on the screen is a professor that may be on the manhattan campus and is communicating through webcam. This is certainly something different from other schools.

Peter

Imagine going to school in an indoor private race track. That was the school of architecture, where horse bays became studios and the track housed the central core of the facility. New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) Old Westbury took the dilapidated estate of Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney and created an internationally recognized center for higher learning, by creatively casting new uses in the many buildings on the Long Island compound. The expansive estate beaconed all to study there, with reminders of a gilded past, and promises of an educated future.

A former Whitney estate of Long Island’s Gold Coast show cases the campus of New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) Old Westbury. As a student there, I became a teaching assistant, and my passion for teaching architecture was nurtured. Upon graduation, I started my architecture practice, and soon realized that my best employees all graduated from NYIT. As I moved through my professional circles, I consistently witnessed the integrity and character of fellow alumni. The school has matured to include campuses throughout the world, teaching others the same values and sense of discovery that proudly began at NYIT.

Alexandra

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work harder. In high school, I was able to maintain good grades without studying or working to my full potential. In college that is not an option. While being a student-athlete, I don't have as much available time to work on my school work so when I do, I must give it my full attention and potential. I would also tell myself to live on campus. Being a commuter takes a toll on money and time. I spend a lot of money on gas and I always have to leave my house an hour before class time in order to avoid traffic. Other then that, my college experience has been unforgettable and I wouldn't change anything.

Someone who is shy and is not going to participate in activities should not attend this school. It is hard enough making friends but when you get involved in the activities on campus it is easier to make friends. Especially being on an athletic team, it allows you to connect with people better.

George

The one thing that seperates NYIT from the rest is the lack of school spirit. Due to several factors, such as majority of student commuters, lack of school success in sports, and quality of the school's name, many are not proud to have gone to NYIT. I was not proud at first, but because of my own endeavors I became proud to be at NYIT.

The personal growth and responsibility I attained at NYIT is priceless. The involvement in my fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon, my committment to volunteering and my realization of my values were all gained at the institution. Before my time there I did not know who I truly was or what was important to my life. I understood it when I left there, and I have ever since been learning from those experiences.

The lack of a demand to succeed from the proffesors is quite dissapointing. There should be much more emphasis on learning and expanding your resources in the setting you wish to be in after undergraduate education.

lina

NYIT is akin to “idea centers” around the globe where commerce, culture, intellectualism, and academics come together. These locations function as a unified &emdash; but heterogeneous &emdash; whole, offering shared experiences and educational opportunities to all students and faculty. This redefining of the global university is at the core of NYIT’s mission.

Provide career-oriented professional education, give all qualified students access to opportunity and support applications-oriented research that benefits the larger world.

One important answer to this question is more opportunity. As opposed to generations of the past, high school graduates today are unable to obtain the number of high-paying jobs that were once available. The U.S. has been transformed from a manufacturing-based economy to an economy based on knowledge, and the importance of a college education today can be compared to that of a high school education forty years ago. It serves as the gateway to better options and more opportunity. When I experienced a post secondary education, I had the opportunity to read books and listen to the lectures of top experts in their fields. This stimulation encouraged me to think, ask questions, and explore new ideas, which allows for additional growth and development and provides college graduates with an edge in the job market over those who have not experienced a higher education.

Jamal

My school is fun, racially diversed, and challenging at sometimes.

My school is fun, racially diversed, and challenging at sometimes.

I would tell myself that it isn't that much of a difference in class. The work isn't hard if I study and work hard. It is just like when I go to the next grade. The work gets a little harder but if I keep thinking positive about it, it would seem easy. I think the same way for basketball. I played basketball in high school and watched college players play on tv. That made me think to myself that basketball in college might be tough. Then I thought about it and realized that all I have to do is continue what I always do. Which is work hard and think nothing of it. If I apply my all to something, I will succeed. The same goes for my school work and my life.

There are so many different major for anyone to attend this school.

Mohit

During my second year of undergraduate studies, I encountered my most memorable experience, my uncle. It was at this time his health had taken a turn for the worst. My assistance appeared to be limited to regular visitations whenever I was afforded the time away from my studies. Though his health deteriorated, I was always welcomed by his high spirits and jovial attitude. I didn't quite understand this positive mind-set; nevertheless, it left me humbled and speechless. It was as if the intriguing conversations, delicious meals, and innocent laughter we shared were therapeutic. He unknowingly taught me one of my greatest lessons in life; you may not always be able to treat a disease, but you can always treat a patient.My most direct exposure to medicine was my volunteer work at a local hospital. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking patients who were on stretchers and wheelchairs to various areas of the hospital and keeping them company. I enjoyed doing so, and I also found myself wishing that I had the skill and the knowledge to examine and treat them.

Adilah

A comfortable yet challenging environment that provides students with the resources to gain knowledge, training, and understanding on various topics of study.

I would say that the college experience is one that you have to be prepared for in many ways. College is about academics, but also about growing up as an independent individual. In highschool students are babied by teachers and constantly flooded with deadline reminders, however, in college you will receive a syllabus of everything that is required throughout the semester, reminders may be administered depending on professors. Time management is crucial. You also have to make sure you keep on top of financial aid and scholarships since this is what gives you the peace to study comfortably without being stressed on how to pay for education. You will find that you'll need to find a job, college can be expensive; other than tuition you will find books, gas, or dorming expenses ahead of you. However, Benjamin Franklin once said, "an investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Another thing you will need to think about is finding internships, volunteering, and research opportunities depending on the major choosen. Your major and college experience is one of the biggest decisions you will make in life since it will ultimately lead to your profession and structure of life in the future.

The best thing about my school is that the professors are helpful and really want to assist motivated students to succeed. This is comforting since it allows students to set high goals for themselves and provides them with ambition. The learning experience allows students to not only memorize, but also fully understand the subject they are studying so that they feel a deeper connection to what they learned. This helps since even little things learned serve a better purpose than just answers to exam questions, but they serve as knowledge for everyday life. This learning environment is stimulating and exceptional.

New York Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.