New York Institute of Technology Top Questions

Donald

Go out into the real world first before you try to find yourself in college. Going to college directly after high school is not the right way to go, no matter what your parents or society says. You might think you know what you want to do, but you will find that things will change after you understand who you really are. After being exposed to the big city, you'll have a better rest of your life instead of being stuck where your parents want you to be. Then go back to school and grab the degrees.

Alanys

I would advice myself to take the college transition very serious because high school and college are extremely different. In college there is more freedom to do whatever you would like, which may sometimes cause you to be distracted from school work. It is important to use this freedom to your advantage and to also learn how to manage your time carefully. For example, in highschool teachers would constantly remind you when homework was due. In contrast, college professors put it upon the students to be responsible enough to check their syllabus constantly for the homework assignments. Although for many students this might be a negative aspect of college life, college teaches us how to be responsible while also preparing us for the future. While it is important to have fun during your college years, there is always time for work and time for play. The key to success is to learn how to differentiatite between both. If we want to become sucessfull, it is important to make sacraffices that will be worth it in the long run.

Babbal

I would study twice as hard for the SATs.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work harder. In high school, I was able to maintain good grades without studying or working to my full potential. In college that is not an option. While being a student-athlete, I don't have as much available time to work on my school work so when I do, I must give it my full attention and potential. I would also tell myself to live on campus. Being a commuter takes a toll on money and time. I spend a lot of money on gas and I always have to leave my house an hour before class time in order to avoid traffic. Other then that, my college experience has been unforgettable and I wouldn't change anything.

George

The personal growth and responsibility I attained at NYIT is priceless. The involvement in my fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon, my committment to volunteering and my realization of my values were all gained at the institution. Before my time there I did not know who I truly was or what was important to my life. I understood it when I left there, and I have ever since been learning from those experiences.

lina

One important answer to this question is more opportunity. As opposed to generations of the past, high school graduates today are unable to obtain the number of high-paying jobs that were once available. The U.S. has been transformed from a manufacturing-based economy to an economy based on knowledge, and the importance of a college education today can be compared to that of a high school education forty years ago. It serves as the gateway to better options and more opportunity. When I experienced a post secondary education, I had the opportunity to read books and listen to the lectures of top experts in their fields. This stimulation encouraged me to think, ask questions, and explore new ideas, which allows for additional growth and development and provides college graduates with an edge in the job market over those who have not experienced a higher education.

Jamal

I would tell myself that it isn't that much of a difference in class. The work isn't hard if I study and work hard. It is just like when I go to the next grade. The work gets a little harder but if I keep thinking positive about it, it would seem easy. I think the same way for basketball. I played basketball in high school and watched college players play on tv. That made me think to myself that basketball in college might be tough. Then I thought about it and realized that all I have to do is continue what I always do. Which is work hard and think nothing of it. If I apply my all to something, I will succeed. The same goes for my school work and my life.

Mohit

During my second year of undergraduate studies, I encountered my most memorable experience, my uncle. It was at this time his health had taken a turn for the worst. My assistance appeared to be limited to regular visitations whenever I was afforded the time away from my studies. Though his health deteriorated, I was always welcomed by his high spirits and jovial attitude. I didn't quite understand this positive mind-set; nevertheless, it left me humbled and speechless. It was as if the intriguing conversations, delicious meals, and innocent laughter we shared were therapeutic. He unknowingly taught me one of my greatest lessons in life; you may not always be able to treat a disease, but you can always treat a patient.My most direct exposure to medicine was my volunteer work at a local hospital. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking patients who were on stretchers and wheelchairs to various areas of the hospital and keeping them company. I enjoyed doing so, and I also found myself wishing that I had the skill and the knowledge to examine and treat them.

Adilah

I would say that the college experience is one that you have to be prepared for in many ways. College is about academics, but also about growing up as an independent individual. In highschool students are babied by teachers and constantly flooded with deadline reminders, however, in college you will receive a syllabus of everything that is required throughout the semester, reminders may be administered depending on professors. Time management is crucial. You also have to make sure you keep on top of financial aid and scholarships since this is what gives you the peace to study comfortably without being stressed on how to pay for education. You will find that you'll need to find a job, college can be expensive; other than tuition you will find books, gas, or dorming expenses ahead of you. However, Benjamin Franklin once said, "an investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Another thing you will need to think about is finding internships, volunteering, and research opportunities depending on the major choosen. Your major and college experience is one of the biggest decisions you will make in life since it will ultimately lead to your profession and structure of life in the future.

Mehdi

Take school seriously and make sure you keep on studying in college in order to build a bright future for yourself.

Jared

I would go to community college first, then go to a university. And i would make sure to apply myself in every subject, every semester.

Ben Sweetland, a famous author, states that, ?success is a journey, not a destination.? Concentrate in high school and pay attention to everything. Decide what you want to accomplish out of life and what you want to be. Time management is one of the biggest problems that manystudents have today. They don?t prioritize, but instead they wait until the last minute to get their work done. You can be a procrastinator thinking that I have all the time in the world but you don't. Remember what Mrs Taylor use to?time wasted could never be regained.? Learn to organize and plan ahead for everything that you are going to do. If a math class is tomorrow, then have all the assigned homework and other work done ahead of time. Why wait until tomorrow to finish yesterday?s work? Aim high because once on top it is hard to fall but starting from the bottom and getting the top is harder

Go away to school. Live on campus and also apply for more scholarships

Number one step I think for choosing the right college is to go there yourself. Understand the community around the campus (if you are dorming) and look at the overall attitude of the students attending. Don't be shy to ask basic questions to the students, they would be happy to talk about their experience while attending. Research online. Look for message boards about the school. If you know what major you are going for, see if that school has a good program for it. A good way of seeing this is to look around the department. See the classrooms and how they are set up, how many classrooms are available for the major. See if the school's technology is up to date, that is really important. See if there are presentaion areas strickly for the major. Ask how many professors are within the department. Really take the school in and really try to understand what kind of school it is, that makes all the difference in weather you will have a enjoyable time at this school or a time you regret.

Dominic

I believe if you want a to live the college experience, apply to schools, that have alot of school spirit and a well known and high sport team/s. You'll meet cool people in the dorms, and on campus, and anywhere there are frat and sororiety houses. For parents, be careful students tend to do poor freshman year, due to the excessive partying, but it leads them down the right path most of the time, beacuase they tend to work harder, to increase their GPA. If the school has no dorms, it will lack spirit, and if it's not into its athletic sport teams, it will also lack spirit. Division 1 sport teams, frats/sororities, and a well known name make the college experience. When there are none of these evident on campus, then students feel left out and can't make friends easily. I reccommend to get out there dorm, or get an apartment, and apply to well known name schools, with a big campus life.

Khojasta

I would advise students to go for their dreams and really try to be the best that they can be in the field that they are interested in. They should pursue this goal and work dard to truly be the most outstanding student in their field. For parents, I would advise them to encourage their child every step of the way, through support, possible career goals and guiding them to a brighter future.

I would first advise people about the cost of college. You really need to consider the price/quality of education ratio of each college and how much financial aid they are willing to offer. With the economy in the state that it is, I feel that for most people this is the most important piece of advise I can give them. When it comes to making the most out of your college experience, well it's all about being social. Everybody is in the same boat as you. Nobody knows anyone so the best thing to do is be the outgoing person. Everyone likes the outgoing person and it makes for an amazing first impression. People like friendly and confident people. By being as such, you are laying the foundation for a great college experience. One last piece of advise, don't be lazy the first semester. I know many people that screwed up their first semester of college and still kick themselves for it. Do not be lazy, use that first semester to create a solid foundation for the rest of your college career. For most, this is the easiest semester of college, so take advantage of it.

Maxine

Find a college that is flexible and has many classes to offer.

Daniell

College is the most expensive part of our education. The best option for parents and students that are looking to further their educations would be to find a school that offers the program that you are interested in. After establishing this, look into scholarships and grants to help pay for your schooling. Once you have that diploma, you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Employers will not care what letterhead signed the diploma, but that you have accomplished this task. It's about the education that you received while attending the school.The best part of schooling is what you want to get out of it. College is about finding out who you are and determining the type of person that you want to become. Do not give up on your goals, it may be trying and difficult, but the end result is what it is all about. This is the place where you grow into the adults that you will become. Grasp every opportunity that is offered to you. Try out new things and ideas, this is the place to grow and flourish, where you will get the experience and understanding of what life is all about.

Pick the place that you feel like you can make a difference.

Harpreet

Well I will be thankful to my parents since they gave me opportunity to study & its my turn to step in their shoes & support them in their old age. For other Students. Its a great school if you dont have money problem.

Irene

I think students (and parents too) often get blinded by the "big-name" schools, and think that those are the best for them. That is not necessarily the case. Sometimes, the best schools are hidden gems, and the student may benefit from a smaller school which is more intimate and close-knit, then from a larger university. I think the key is knowing what you want. While larger schools have better facilities and more opportunities academically and socially, if the student is driven enough in life, they will always find ways to get the most out of their college experience (outside the programs offered by the institution). If you have a positive outloook, and a strong sense of direction, there is no limit to what you can accomplish, regardless of the school. A top school may provide you with the title, but they cannot give you passion. There is something truly wonderful about students and professors who co-exist, and a small-scale setting allows for that level of interaction. Choose wisely based on what you want, and where you see yourself going in the future.

Frank

Dont make it your first choice.

Zuhal

If you know what you want to be in the future, NYIT is perfect because it offers programs and degrees for certain proffesions. I chose NYIT because I want to go to medical school and the life science undergraduate program was perfect for me. Many believe that the social aspect of college is not that important however I believe that without friends and a social environment no one can complete coursework and the stress that accompanies it well. I was fortunate to have numerous friends to help me study and get through my first years of undergrad. If you feel a college is not for you then you should chose to go elsewhere. Many times the college you go to is your choice, why not go somewhere you want to be, especially since you are there for four years of your life.

Luis

find out about good intership and work after school. I'm still looking for my real job. so many debts and can not find jobs.

i would say make sure you talk to students who have attended the university or college and make sure it is the right decision for you. also look at your financial background and make sure a school gives you money.

Given what I've learned so far as an undergraduate student, I'm of the opinion that students are the only ones capable of properly choosing their own college. One of the most subtle bits of information can be the most important: the percentage of students that commute. In my experience, is why my campus lacks a sense of community. Because most students commute, very few students could care less about attending school events or initiating any kind of positive, meaningful change. In the world of folders, packets and propaganda that fills the head of students heading for college, it's easy to miss something so trivial looking, and with good reason. Choosing a college to apply to has become an challenge in and of itself, a test of information management. While most students sort through the information a college circulates and the seemingly desperate looking ad campaigns designed to catch their interest, I'm certain any who are like myself thought the same question: "Why is it that the acceptence process is difficult, yet so many campuses are desperate for our application in the first place?" The important thing is to pay attention to the subtle, less emphasized facts.

Always take the time to observe the colleges of your choice. Never rush the decision.

If you are looking for a good, accredited school where you will make tons of friends this is the school for you. Over the time I have spend working on my five year Architecture program, I have mad so many firends, including parents and teachers. My experience has included student working at our athletic department, designing exhibitions with my student advisor that was displayed in Texas. When I chose to come to NYIT I never had thought that I would be not only making life long friends but experencies. For starters this school has goven me so many opportunities, through this school I was able to visit Italy, Switzerland, China, as well as recently Gremany. Traveling with my closest of frined has made my college experence everything that I could have ever hoped for in my journey through life.

sarah

speak to students that go to the school

Fatima

Its important to understand that college is expensive so make sure you look into cost tuition, dorms, food and gas cumulatively. Also, each college is different with class sizes. Depending on your learning style, a small class or a larger class might suit you better as a student. It's good to get involved with at least one activity on campus whether its sports, clubs or fraternitys because it helps you make more friends and helps blow off steam when your stressed. Time management and scheduales are very useful in helping to mantain focus on schoolwork. Never stress too much because college will be the best years of your life! Enjoy yourself and enjoy learning because knowledge is that greatest asset you have.

Loretta

When making choices of continuing education or picking a school that is right for you, first you must have an idea of what you want to achieve with this degree. It seems that making the right choice first will help you avoid spending unnecessary money for school. Knowing how much a school will cost for the complete year not just the term will help a student and parent decide if that school is right for that student. Asking others that have attended a college of interest or web searching schools are very positive moves towards finding an affordable and rewarding school. Also web searching helps to educate students and parents about scholarship opportunities and educational loans if needed. Your choice of whether or not to continue your education should be a simple and rewarding task. So no student should be discouraged there are many opportunities to achieve a higher education for all.

Dennis

Don't choose a school based on its population / hype reputation. Instead choose a school, where you are comfortable with the environment, which will best put you towards your career goals. After all, your entire career depends on your education and what you make of it.

Jordyn

Make sure you really get a first look at the campus and find out financial aid, intuition and other expenses. Also it's helpful to ask people who go there and their opinion on the school. Make sure they supply the course you want and need to earn your degree.

Aleshaw

Learn about the experience of campus life and how satisifed students are. Also learn about the avaliable of jobs after graduation, class sizes, different races, amount of financial aid rewarded and what extra-curiccular activities are avaliable.

When you are looking at a school be sure to take a look at the internships that your school offers. You should also check out the alumni. You go to school for the educational experience that the school provides but, the social life is equaly important. You need an equal balance of both work and pleasure. When you work hard in your classses you need a social environment that will help you decompress from the stress that will build up. Also when you investigate schools, you should look up the school's accident reports. This information is usually open to the public on the school's website. It will give insight into what kind of "stupid" student behavior that you might encounter on your campus. It will show the negatives of your school and will help you decide if it is worth paying so much money for dorming at your school. The most important thing is to invest into your school. You were chosen to go to your school for a reason. Colleges are basically companies that are hiring you to do well in their work place. If you work hard for their company you will get a raise (scholarship) .

Sriniketh

Go where you feel is the most comfortable for you and your goals.

There are many resources to find the school that is right for you. Talk to your guidance councelor, look on the internet, attend college fairs and you and your parents should attend seminars on applying and paying for college. Once you have a list, students should find out as much as they can about the schools they want to apply to and visit them is possible. When you do visit talk to as many people, including student, as you can to get a real feel for the school. You also need to know what is expected of you acedmically, socially, and financially. College has been a very positive experience for me but you need to be prepared, especially if you are going to go away to school. Students need to know how to become more independent while learning to live with and interact with people they have never met before. So parents you need to help you child get ready for this experience.

brian

i would advise parents and students to look at all options.

birdee

know what you want from a college talk openly to the kids on campus to find the dirt ...... find out everything you n eed to know about your major pre reqes and requiremtnts of theat particular schoool

Umair

My advice is if your son/daughter is trying to become a doctor I suggest their child get into the BS/DO program (Bachelours of Science Doctoreate Degree) otherwise don't let your child get into this school. First three semesters consists of pre-med students however later most of them will either drop out or transfer. There's a saying for NYIT, Next Year I Transfer, as for social activities there are none. There is a lack of on campus parties because of the lack of on campus housing, which can be found on SUNY Old Westbury campus, so if your child is dorming at NYIT, he/she isn't going to live on campus. As for the food, its too pricey, it could be lowered. Some people may find NYIT to be an easy college because of some of the courses that are given are too easy. One really big issue on this campus is parking as well because this is a commuter college there's a lack of parking spaces. If your child's first choice for NYIT, make sure he/she has more options available as well because NYIT shouldn't be there only choice.

Maxine

Make sure the college has a sizeable staff where students have choices when choosing classes. Small colleges tend to have fewer course offerings, therefore the student has to wait a year to take the class again if they fail.

You need to find what you are comfortable with. You need to also never fall behind on your work because you will never get yourself back on track. And finally you should get involved because school is what you make of it, if you do nothing you will get nothing but your degree out of it. If you get invloved you will have the most amazing time and will get the most out of your degree.

Luis

In my own opinions is Find about the school reputation, education, sports. And the most important thing is for me if the school have new buildings, well maintain, clean hallways and green lanws you will put more attention to your studies.

The only advice I would give is visit the school before attending.

Most importantly visit the colleges but not just for orientation. Stay for a few days weekends and weekdays and get a feel for what the college life is like there. That way you have an idea of what your in store for. If you as a student aren't 100 percent dedicated and think you want to party do yourself and your parents a favor and do your first year at a community college .. it will save you a lot of money. Basically you won't pay 30, 000 a year to flunk out like most students.

ToniAnn

Make sure you pick the one that you feel in your heart is the right choice. Remember that you can always transfer if you feel the need to in the years to come. You may want to leave home because you cannot stand your home life, but most people will become home sick, which is why I chose to live at home. Living on campus I have heard is fun too but it is based on perference of the individual. You must do what you and your parents feel is right and suitable for you.

Maxine

If you don't know what you want to do (major) then go to a 2 year community college first, do your best (3.0 or better) and transfer to the school of your dreams. If you know what you want to major in, get as much information about the major itself and the schools that offer the program. Talk to your advisors, talk to people working and attending those schools, most of all listen to your gut instinct, and especially listen to your parents. Make sure you VISIT the schools and when you do TALK TO PEOPLE. Walk through classes, get an idea of what those people are doing in class and where they go after school is over. Make sure you love the school. If you're still not sure, just go to a community college and work off of that.

First, I would say apply to everywhere you want. Anything that looks interesting to you, apply there, because it just may be the right school for you. In the same vein, apply to more schools than one, as that is what I did and now regret not exploring my options when I had the chance. If you're not so sure what you want to do with your life yet, don't worry. Not that many people have it all together by the time college rolls around. You'll get there too. Just look into anything that interests you and find the college that offers that subject. As for college experience, I stayed local and commute. The best advice I can offer there is to just meet people in your classes. Remember, it's their first time at college too (most of the time) and they're just as nervous as you. There's one thing you have in common right off the bat. You'll always have the chance to meet new people, just make yourself open to it. Before you know it, you'll have made a bunch of new friends and you'll have a blast.

My advise would be to definitly attend open houses and ask around. Fine people who go or went to that college and ask them all the questions you have, even the small and simple ones. Make sure they have what your looking to study and talk to those professors and students that took classes you will have to take.