New York Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New York Institute of Technology

Mary

NYIT is not a place I’d recommend for people looking for the classic “college experience”. It’s largely a commuter school, and ideal for people who were above-average in high school looking for a safe, affordable option in a relatively nice area. If you value small class sizes, opportunity to get involved with some flexibility in clubs, and getting to know your professors and other faculty, this is a solid option. The school also offers plenty of four year scholarships for entering students (up to $23k a year) and is generous with transfer credits, allowing you to get a lower price than a lot of schools and graduate early if you did well in high school.

Hefsah

New York Institute of Technology is a good school there is no doubt about it. The campus is a perfect size to walk to your classes and get a breath of fresh air. The students/classmates are really great people you can definitely find your group of people. The thing is NYIT is a private school and with private schools they try to get as much money as possible for profit. They don't spend much on the students and their necessary equipment. They really do rip students off when it comes to financial aid. Whenever you ask them a question regarding YOUR money, money that you're spending at their college they barely know the answer. When they give you an answer it makes no sense; they make it confusing as possible so you won't bother them again. Sometims they don't even know the answer. The thing is all private schools do this. The teachers here are okay. Some teachers are stellar and you get your moneys worth, but then there's teachers who are very old and could care less how you pass the class. They honestly don't want to be there. NYIT is expensive and there are many students who transfer after their first year because they can't keep up with the demands of NYIT tuition and it really isn't worth it specially when teachers aren't good enough. REMEMBER THIS: YOU ARE THE ONE PAYING THE TEACHERS! You paid tuition and you are paying for your classes and only some teachers will give you your moneys worth. What some teachers look for is a good review. The school just looks for a good review, they spend thousands of dollars for upcoming students that they pay little to no attention on students that are already enrolled. If you're going into sports I guess it's okay. I'm not an athlete so I can't really say. I really hate the course selections because especially if you aren't a BSDO student then you don't get the best teachers and you end up getting second/third picked classes that barely anyone wants...Overall NYIT is an okay school if you have the money. In the end it is your decision, but I hope this helps. When you go to their campus open houses they obviously don't tell you any of this stuff because they WANT you to come to the school. Again it is an okay school, but do take what has been written here into consideration. Oh and apparently NYIT has finally gotten the rights to build dorms on campus because as of right now they don't have dorms on campus it's in Old Westbury campus.

NYIT is a college where you have to take the initiative. That year is all depended on what that student wants For example, if they want to fail then they will but if they want to pass they will study. In the architecture field there is a lot of unity and understanding. Everybody has each other's back, if there was a question nobody would ever reject or ignore thats persons questions. NYIT is amazing in the sense that school is always first and the understanding between students lift each others up when they are down.

New York Institute of Technology has its' pros and cons. In terms of academics, NYIT is an amazing school in my opinion. The teachers are knowledgeable and genuinely teach. There is also a healthy academic competition amongst students. There is an abundance of learning resources students can access and the majority of the professors are willing to help whenever needed. A con for me is the "campus community." Though there are plenty of events students can partake in to destress, the school is primarily a commuter school, resulting in a lack of student involvement and community because once classes are over, everyone goes home instead of actively engaging on campus.

Christan

This school has really great programs and smaller class sizes, which allows students to really know their professors and vice versa. The campus is really safe and has accessible security (e.g. you can call them and they can escort you to your car if you don’t feel safe doing so at night).

Heather

This college is amazing and wil guide you every step of the way to achieve your goals , i am currently going back for my masters and I wouldnt want to be attending any other college I have 100 percent confidence in this college and the teachers to help me succeed .

Ashmaine

A great commuter school

Kaitlyn

The education at NYIT is good and the professors are great. The staff is very helpful. Manhattan campus is more lively than the Old Westbury campus. Dorming with NYIT is not the best because NYIT doesn’t have their own dorms, so for Manhattan campus your dorms are 60 blocks away and require a subway ride to school, and for Old Westbury campus the dorms are at SUNY Old Westbury which isn’t close.

Joel

Upon reaching here I felt overwhelmed with the size of the campus and all that I needed to get done, however, the staff made me feel most welcomed and relaxed. Also the classes are very interactive and lecturers take time to deal with students individually if needed. I was even surprised by the school endorsing of the new ultimate frisbee team we wanted to create. NYIT helps its students in every way they can and it is a pleasure to attend here.

I love my school. I've been there now for a year and every professor as well as counselors and advisors are amazing and are there to help. They want to see you succeed and they will provide plenty of resources as well as their own time in order to help you, as long as you put the work in. My overall experience as been great so far and I have met a lot of great people in my program as well. My favorite part of NYIT is that it is a smaller school that creates a very friendly environment, everyone is a familiar face which is a plus. The professors there are outstanding and I have genuinely learned so much just in one year. I am more then happy to be a student at New York Institute of Technology!

Danielle

My school, New York Institute of Technology, is a phenomenal institution that offers a variety of opportunities for students to succeed. With a multitude of internship programs, sports, extracurriculars, and Greek life students never fail to find something that they are interested in. As a biology major, I am introduced to a variety of challenging concepts that are often difficult to grasp. However, the professors never fail to be available to students who may need extra help. Academics is vital in a world that focuses on a degree in order to obtain a job. NYIT makes it challenging yet possible to earn this achievement as long as the student puts their mind to it. Socially, Greek life is offered yet is not required to get the latest news on the social events on campus. My school is my safe-haven and somewhere where I can go to study or be with my friends for the day. I strongly encourage others to apply to NYIT and do not regret my choice going there at all.

Diego

The New York Institute of Technology has a safe and beautiful campus. The Greek Life at NYIT is very active and popular at the university. Most athletes I get along with since I worked at their recreation center and they offer great work-study opportunities. Campus life is good but it could be better.