New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Catherine

The campus is not really a campus - but a city.

The campus is not really a campus - but a city.

If you know what you want to do, go for the college that best fits this and your personality. If undecided, look for a school that allows many opportunities for exploration in different areas of study. I didn't know what I wanted to do, and being at a large university suited me both as a student and as an individual. My school gave me so many opportunities to do new and different things - and I found myself loving every minute of it. In the end, I see my school as my home - a place I can be myself, grow into, and be comfortable in.

The variety of programs available in other schools within the university (such as Gallatin, Steinhardt, etc).

Nana

NYU doesn't have a campus or a tight knit community. It has a music program that is not performance based, focusing on music theory, history, and musicology.

Students that are extremely independent and driven should attend NYU. The city takes some getting used to and NYU does not have a campus.

It is crucial to visit the campuses of interest. By visiting the campus, a student can get a feel for the environment of the campus as well as the type of people that attend that school. It is important to consider the tuition and the amount of financial aid offered by the school. It is helpful to have a general idea of what major to pursue as this eliminates may schools.

Abbey

My classmates are driven, excited, outgoing, adventurous, and always ready to try something new; classes matter to them but that isn't all--they're great, interesting people who love learning and can't wait to do something unexpected!

It shouldn't be about the name of the school or your preconceptions; choosing a school should be about where YOU fit in. If you walk around campus and see people that you'd like to hang out with, go to that school. If you want to go to a school because of its fancy name or reputation, DON'T go to that school. I have learned so much in my classes at NYU, but I've learned so very much more from the city and all the amazing people I've met. College isn't just about learning a subject, it's about learning about life, and fancy names aren't going to teach you anything about that. Pick a GOOD school you're going to ENJOY. Not just a good school. You'll be so very very much happier if you do.

You shouldn't attend this school if you aren't friendly and outgoing. Everyone I know who has left NYU hasn't been able to make good friends or have a good time, and every one of those people just waited for friends to come to them. Doesn't happen. I knew no one when I got to NYU, and now I have hundreds of amazing friends from all over the world. It isn't the school, it's their being unfriendly people that keeps some students from not liking it.

Annamaria

By centralizing itself in the cultural heart of New York City, NYU is a school that draws its students into a more worldy environment where all kinds of exchange are a part of everyday life, whether it's with the dynamic professors, passionate students, or unique citizens - learning isn't limited to classroom.

Living and studying in New York City offers students to come across a great diversity of people in age, orientation, religion, ethnicity, race, and interests. It provides an inspirational and motivating environment for artists and academics alike, allowing all students a chance to deeply explore their passions and to learn more about who they are. NYU attracts some of the most intelligent students and professors, making the classroom setting a feast for the mind. There is also a great range of classes that can fit any curious interest, and the social life outside the classroom is unparalleled in experiences.

Finding the right college is about finding yourself. Both the student and the parents should be open to the fact that these next four years in the student's life will lead to an internal and external discovery, and it is important the the student attends a college that best matches his or her passions, however diverse they may be. The student will not be able to flourish under a restrictive field that doesn't appeal to his or her desires. It will become much more difficult later in life to return to a place of exploration, so now is the time, as a young and curious adult, for the student to expand his or her understanding of the world we are living in. Once the student finds that mecca of learning, it is imperative that this new environment doesn't impose intimadation and fear. Yes, the student will be out of his or her comfort zone, but it is imperative that he or she take this opportunity to start with a clean slate and interact with students, professors, and the everyday citizens in the area. There is much to be learned and understood outside of the classroom, as well.

Kristen

Intelligent independent driven dreamers striving to attain their goals.

Intelligent independent driven dreamers striving to attain their goals.

Business at Stern, Film at Tisch, Law, and Music @ Steinhardt

Be honest with yourself. Don't change yourself to fit a school, find a school that completments you.

Ritu

Very friendly and easy to be around.

Very friendly and easy to be around.

I wish I had known more about being able to keep my social and academic life balanced.

I would tell students to have fun, but make sure that they realize that keeping on top of your academics is very important too. It is much easier to slip in college than high school. I would tell parents to let their children grow up and make mistakes but continue to show their children love.

Catherine

I enjoyed my time at NYU but honestly it was that the school provided a forum for me to live in New York City. NYU itself was an afterthought. That being said, I can't imagine being very happy anywhere else. The great thing about this city is that you realize once you get here that you're not under a microscope anymore. Nobody really cares what your grades are (unless you connect with a professor, which does happen...occasionally), nobody minds if you eat alone, nobody cares if you walk up and down Broadway in PJ pants and slippers. For me, having that was really freeing. For other people though, it is lonely, scary, and sad. I think the kids who killed themselves were responding to that.

There are two kinds of students at NYU. The first kind are really smart kids who never bothered to study much in high school and didn't make excellent grades. The other kind are not particularly bright but very hardworking. They're the kind of people who eagerly answer rhetorical questions in class, hoping to impress.

There are way too many people for stereotypes to matter all that much. There are all kinds of people, but there do seem to be a disproportionate number of upper-middle class kids from the tri-state area. Also the smoking thing is pretty accurate.

Academics aren't anything special. Find a professor and have them take you under their wing. The core curriculum for CAS is stupid. Apply to Gallatin or Tisch.

Rich kids from the 'burbs. Girls who get up early to straighten their hair for class. Hipsters. Kids who take up smoking their second week of college because it's cool.

I met my closest friends in the dorm freshman year. While I didn't love the dorm very much, I would have been adrift had I lived off-campus immediately. I became fast friends with my roommates and other people on my floor, some of whom I have remained close with. Clubs aren't big, so meeting friends through other friends is mostly how I went about expanding my social circle. I was in Tisch's film program and in classes like that you tend to bond with the same people you're stuck doing creative projects with. I didn't end up going to parties much after sophomore year, but instead went to bars or concerts. If you want to go out to bars (and you will) you'll need a fake ID or, better yet, a real ID from somebody who looks like you. You can finds places to sell you a booze without an ID but it's really hard to find good places that'll let you in without one. I also opted out of the dorm system after Freshman year where signing guests in and out is a pain and people get busted for throwing parties. I was able to opt out of the stupid parts of college life--beer pong, kings, flip cup, etc. You can find that, but it's also easy to avoid. Pretty much everything is easy to avoid because there are always thousands of other people to meet and befriend. Nobody cares about sports, frats, or clubs for the most part. I've never been to a school play, though I have been to film events, and I've gotten discounted tickets to see Broadway musicals.

Cecilia

Don't think about what other people will think or say, go to a school where you'll find yourself and be happy- the people who matter will only care about that. Also visit the schools you apply to, talk to students who go there and remember this is a very special, and short three years of your life- you dont want to look back and wistfully wish you could start over like me.

Kiara

An enormous university with a hippie-liberal vibe but strong academic base and reputation in a dynamic urban city trying to push towards unnecessary expansion at an increasing expense to students.

When finding the right college, I believe it's essential to do research on the strength of the professors, location, reputation, available majors/minors, internships/career help, etc. I also think that researching is not enough. A visit that includes not just a campus tour but a stay and exploration of the area, and questioning of current students would be of great help. Making the best of the college experience means getting involved, taking advantage of any opportunity that presents itself to gain a new experience even if just that one time.

RFHBGBJNJV

NJXKsjflafljmvljadvlnmalvnadlvnaklvnalvnalvnadivnalVNOVNLvKALAIDHNGvuOADNbOJNDboANDGVOAJGvogjeaojncvoaNFOvnlbnvblaDNnvoAINVOAnAJNVOLSNVoiANVIOANVOANVIAODNVOANVAOINVOANVDIADVonoanfcvoicnovnaofncoacnoasncoACOASHNCInoNXCOAJCOANSCOJDSOANONOWFCJNOANCIOANSCIONAOCJNWOSCNJAOSCFNOADJFCAOCMAONCIAhsnciascniaojciascikamciajscoajoijcajdmocajoajfcojaocjiaojcoajcofwjcoajfoqfjoJFCOAJFIEFJCIAFJIQAJFCOAJHAJIAJFCIASDJSKAIDJCQ8hfoqfjkoqfclvnoiwhfquijfoqhfhfiohwefjqohioehjoiefiohwegwofjowejoeofjqwo8ueoefjeiujeijediqwejdfieqjiqo

huqwfjoqejgowiegjop:j(PWTGJEWOrjgowhrGOwjGOIJHEPOTFgoiqegowhgoiuehjgoiqhjetgoiqjetgoiqejtoiqejtgoiqejtoiqejhtoqehtiqouehtioqehtiuqethjiwetwieughwutgweitewoiutjhqoithjqiouetjhqHTUIqhtHQTIhqtiWHTqhtiquHTIUQHTIUQHRTHQEIURHQEIUTGIEUQWBGIUQEGBUIWHERFTIUQHEBFIUQHFIQUHNTFQHNFIUQHNFIUGQHFIQHFIQHFRIQHNFRIUQHBFQUIHFRIUQ

OEFJOqweGJOGEJighiqegojgoqhjgfoqijhefoqiqufiuqbfiuqbfuiqbfiqwfibqiufbiuqbfiqbfibwfiqfbiqubfjnkvgfbniegbvnigniEhgiQngigiaBFiABQFibfiFBiuGiGNvINIGnINVIIGNIGWIGIWGNWIGNIIWGNIGNWI(BWHINIOVHINBNWIUERNBHBGUIURWHENGINEINGUENEIWUHNFGUEHNfUEHJifQNIFhnQOEFAHNIUHNFiuQNHFIHNiQUKDLUhnUIiuqfu

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.