New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Allison

It's never too early to start thinking about college. Study for the SATs early. Start your applications and scholarship applications as early as the summer before senior year -- that way, you won't have to sacrifict your grades senior year for the time you spend on college apps.

Large class sizes make it very difficult to get to know your professor, even after going to office hours. You wouldn't expect to have this problem at a private school, yet it's a problem at NYU.

Dayna

A city school for people who love cities but not the best fit for people who need a strong social structure.

College is where you really learn who you are. When you are in high school and you visit colleges, you can't really know what is going to make you the happiest but trust me, you'll get a good feeling about some places. When I visited NYU, I knew that I wanted to be in New York City...however, I wish I had known that I also wanted more community and a better social life. But I wouldn't trade this experience for the world because I've made my own experience perfect. I joined club, made friends, studied abroad, worked hard, and although I am at a school with little on-campus community, I am happy! I made it work. That's all you have to remember--you are in control of your own destinity. So pick the school that makes you feel right but then do what makes you happy once you get there.

There is very little community and lots of the students are standoffish.

Joe

My school is probably best known as a fantastic city school with strong programs for every single major - from Business to Arts. It is known as being the top "dream school" in the country - and it definitely deserves the name. It's like a dream come true.

Please don't make money a big issue when your kids are searching around for colleges. College is so important in a person's life and colleges really do try to make it possible for all sorts of students. Let your kids search for the right majors, the right size, and all of those other aspects. Let them visit. Let them apply. Believe me, by paying more now, your child will be more happy and they will most likely be able to pay back those loans. Don't shut any doors yet. Let your kids shoot for the stars while they can.

I tell my friends that I get to go to school in New York City. I get to live in New York City, or rather, Manhattan, for four years of my life. Not many people ever have that chance. I brag that my school has graduated some of the best in the industry, such as Martin Scorsese and the Coen Brothers.

Monique

Most of them are laid-back and fun but focused, opinionated, and engage well in discussions.

Someone who can balance priorities well, take absolute care of themselves (because no one else will), know how to ask for help, and be logical or intuitive which ever is appropriate at the time.

Understand that as every child is unique, each school is unique. Therefore, applying to college should not become a war in pursuit of getting into particular schools but rather, an opportunity for self-discovery. Today getting into college in the U.S. is more difficult than ever. With acceptance rates dipping, number of applicants soaring and other scares, the college application process has become a nightmare for many. Most of the stress seems to come from the misunderstanding that applying is all about fitting in to get in to "The school". There is no use struggling to fit because you (and your parents) will spend the time fighting for something that ultimately isn't up to you when it could be spent finding out your strengths and weaknesses, realizing hidden dreams and aspirations and perhaps, even for family bonding. While in school, it will become important for you to understand yourself in order to make the best decisions. Many obstacles will come upon you throughout college but no matter what happens in the end, I'm sure you would agree that you would like to remember making the best decisions you could for yourself. Get ready to make yours now!

The most important advice I could ever give to a parent preparing his or her child for college would be to give your student options. He or she should apply to a variety of places and should visit as many colleges as he or she can. The more options a student has the better. It is also wise to advise your child to apply for as many scholarships and grants as he or she can. With the high and rising cost of tuiton, it is so difficult to find banks who will give undergraduate students loans, and more and more people are not able to afford college. There is so much free money out there. Take advantage of it. If I could go back to my freshman year of high school, I would have started scholarship searching then. It is so important to have choices for college, but if you can not find the funds, you can not choose any college at all. A student should be able to choose from a variety of college options and should be continuing to apply for scholarships, even thoughout his or her college experience.

The best thing about NYU would be the resources and the location. There is always something to do in the city, and there is always something going on that is applicable to learning and gaining hands on knowledge.

The worst thing about NYU is trying to come up with the finances. Right now the tuiton is very high and is still rising. It is hard to get the funds to go back to school.

Tim

Because I go to NYU's film school, I'm going to go ahead and say their film school, haha. The Tisch School of the Arts has been cranking out successful members of the industry year after year, with no loss in momentum in my opinion. You have the flexibility to choose your specialty, so between my core group of friends, we are each experts in particular fields, and it's nice to know that there are people you know that are good in every aspect of production.

To the parents: As much as it may pain you to hear it, your kid is the one going to college, not you. So let them have a say in where they want to go and what they want to study. Although you'd love it if they said they aspired to be a doctor or laywer (or both simultaneously), it's not always the case. And forcing them to go down a path they have no interest will only lead to trouble and regret down the line. Of course, there are exceptions, but the important thing is to hear them out. To the students: No matter what field you're in, college is about making connections more than anything. Although your high school friends were great, those you meet in college you'll probably stay in contact with for the rest of your life. These are people you'll work with first-hand, people who may end up being your colleagues or business partners. So don't take those first couple years for granted and room alone or at home. Get to know the people in your dorm and in your classes. They're connections that will prove invaluable.

I suppose the only thing I find frustrating about this school is the cost of housing, although that's really an issue with New York in general. It's hard to find decent housing in the $1000/month neighborhood. NYU Housing, depending on which dorm you're in, pushes $2000/month, although they do have plenty of low-cost options in the $800/month range.

Christopher

Classmates at NYU are all passionate for something -- that's how they got here -- and attempt to incorporate that passion into every classroom discussion (in the best way possible).

Someone who is an individual. They need to be self-relient and goal-driven. It isn't your typical university. You really need to take your education into your own hands. You also need to be open-minded, non-homophobic (because there are a lot, A LOT, of gay kids), and really ready to take advantage of the city. NYU = NYC.

Before answering this question, I need to disclose one thing: I applied to nine schools, and researched about a million. I was fortunate enough to be accepted into my top choice, but I had safety after safety after safety schools chosen. The best advice I can give is to go on the school Web sites, visit your favorites, and go on the student-directed tours. Ask any and every question that comes in your mind, and find every excuse to meet other members of the campus community. The people make the school. If you can?t stand them, your time will be wasted. Also, go on student review Web sites (including www.ratemyprofessors.com for instructor reviews), and see what they have to say. Weed out the overly positive as the overly negative, disgruntled entries, and listen to the median. I have found that to be the most accurate approach.

allison

I think if you have a dream and it fits your career path and what you want your future to be than you really can't put a price on the education. My father told me when I got my acceptance letter to NYU to not worry about the payment, that we'll figure something out but your going. And that was the best thing I could have heard because I know we didn't have the money and I know we still don't but like the saying goes where there's a will there's a way. Though NYU hasn't given us any financial aid yet and at the moment my college is being paid off in loans I know that in the end it is going to be worth it when I graduate with a degree from NYU. Don't let money keep you from getting your dream.

New York University has been my dream school since I was ten. My entire life even imaginegoing somewhere and the day my acceptance letter came my knees buckled and I felt like a football player just knocked the wind out of me. The transition was not easy and I went through some pretty bad times in the beginning. The supprt NYU provides for you whether its an emotional struggle or academic, is always there, they are always pulling for you, always. And thats not counting the kind of offers you are going to receive once you graduate.

If i was to brag about one thing about my school it would definitely be the people I met and the friends I made. Actually most of my friends are now from my university. I only had a couple friends in highschool and stayed mostly to myself so unless you were friends with me then you didn't know me. But here its different, I am outgoing and even made two new best friends and a bunch of others. I fit in and I'm happy. When I go home they are the one topic that never leaves my lips.

Phylicia

If your a person with low self esteem or aren't willing to develop friendships with different or unique people then NYU is not for you. At NYU, You can't stay in your dorm room and watch the city pass by. You must get involved or you will not enjoy the privileges of having a university in the middle of the city.

Before i attended NYU, I wished prior to the first day of school i read my required textbooks. Also i wished i developed better time management skills.

In June 2006 like many high school juniors, I faced the hardest decision of my life, choosing a college that will strengthen my desire and knowledge in becoming an educator. I wanted a university with a notable education department. The first advice I will give any prospective college student is to research different colleges that provide their major. After narrowing down a few universities that had my major, I had to decide whether I wanted to live on campus. Second advice is living on campus is not for everyone. If you cannot make life-changing decisions on your own, you should really think about whether living on campus is right for you. Besides the aforementioned options, write down a list of things about a college you want for yourself. Remember, ?Understanding that the right to choose your own path is a sacred privilege. Use it. Dwell in possibility.?- Oprah At the college of your choice, join organizations that are interesting to you. Try to find out what activities are going on during the weeks. This will help you meet awesome friends or study partners. Also, develop time management skills to balance studying and fun.

Zack

Zack shows us NYU's Tisch School of the Arts.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Zack shows us Weinstein, one of NYU's more popular dining halls.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Zack shows us the local Starbucks, where many NYU students spend their free time.

Zack shows us Stern, NYU's business school.

Zack shows us NYU's Silver Center, where many of the Arts and Sciences classes are held.

Zack gives us a tour of Washington Square Park, NYU's unofficial "quad" area.

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.