New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Phylicia

If your a person with low self esteem or aren't willing to develop friendships with different or unique people then NYU is not for you. At NYU, You can't stay in your dorm room and watch the city pass by. You must get involved or you will not enjoy the privileges of having a university in the middle of the city.

Before i attended NYU, I wished prior to the first day of school i read my required textbooks. Also i wished i developed better time management skills.

In June 2006 like many high school juniors, I faced the hardest decision of my life, choosing a college that will strengthen my desire and knowledge in becoming an educator. I wanted a university with a notable education department. The first advice I will give any prospective college student is to research different colleges that provide their major. After narrowing down a few universities that had my major, I had to decide whether I wanted to live on campus. Second advice is living on campus is not for everyone. If you cannot make life-changing decisions on your own, you should really think about whether living on campus is right for you. Besides the aforementioned options, write down a list of things about a college you want for yourself. Remember, ?Understanding that the right to choose your own path is a sacred privilege. Use it. Dwell in possibility.?- Oprah At the college of your choice, join organizations that are interesting to you. Try to find out what activities are going on during the weeks. This will help you meet awesome friends or study partners. Also, develop time management skills to balance studying and fun.

Zack

Zack shows us NYU's Tisch School of the Arts.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Zack shows us Weinstein, one of NYU's more popular dining halls.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Zack shows us the local Starbucks, where many NYU students spend their free time.

Zack shows us Stern, NYU's business school.

Zack shows us NYU's Silver Center, where many of the Arts and Sciences classes are held.

Zack gives us a tour of Washington Square Park, NYU's unofficial "quad" area.

Janna

Think long and hard, before you even start looking, about what you want out of your four years of college. Knowing exactly what you are looking for can help shorten the search for your dream school. Where is your main focus? Academics, Sports, Campus life? Many schools have different strengths, so make sure the schools you end up choosing specialize in the direction you wish. Don't let things like tuition scare you off of an otherwise-perfect college right away--a lot of more expensive schools offer very generous financial aid, and scholarships are available just about everywhere to help you pay for school, so that big price tag may not be impossible to pay.

The very urban-minded person, who enjoys a constant stream of new experiences and knowledge in their lives, would feel right at home here. The same person would have to be considered ambitious, and know how to balance work and play in order to keep up with the strenuous coursework while enjoying all that NYC has to offer. Also important is a strong sense of independence-NYU does not have the feel of a "college community", and a student would have to be very self-sufficient in order to manage their personal affairs, like a regular citizen of New York.

NYU is a VERY liberal school, so if you have a conservative mindset or have a hard time accepting people with alternative lifestyles, don't even consider it. There's no actual campus, jut a section of the city, so a person who's looking for the normal college experience will also be disappointed. The students here are also serious about their work, and can be competitive-if you prefer working in groups to studying alone, you might want to look at another college.

Mike

There is no school spirit at NYU. There is no sense of community. It is incredibly easy to become detached from NYU, since no effort is made to integrate students into the City. Overall, it's a depressing place with no campus where students can only feel alone despite the thousands of people surrounding them.

Any student who identifies as conservative is bound to feel abused at NYU, as conservatives are looked down upon by the university. There is a preconceived notion that conservatives are homophobic religious zealots and war hawks. The open-mindedness that NYU supports does not extend itself to conservatives, for conservatives are just seen as wrong. No opportunity is presented for conservative students to argue or explain their opinions, as conservatives are just wrong, according to NYU philosophy.

I am filling out this survey on behalf of CIRCLE K.

Yes, they tend to be, except for open-mindedness. NYU mistreats and degrades conservative students in many ways. It seems NYU's vastly liberal student body and staff are open to all ideas - except any conservative thinking, regarding it as blatantly wrong. It is highly hypocritical that a school that claims such open-mindedness and characterizes conservatives as close-minded takes such a blatantly close-minded approach. It's commonly said that coming out as gay at NYU is easier than coming out as conservative.

Students tend to be competitive. NYU's admission rates are low, so students have to be driven, generally. This follows high-achieving students from high school to college.

There is no sense of community at NYU. Most students keep to themselves or a small circle of friends.

Some of the main stereotypes are that NYU is vastly homosexual, open-minded, and radical.

Monica

If it wasn't split into different schools, NYU would be too big. However, since everyone is in a smaller school within NYU, I think it's just right. People impressed when I tell them I go to NYU. I spend most of my time in classrooms or the library. It is not a college town. NYU's administration seems to be ok, our president is awesome. Biggest recent controversy: the only one I can think of was last year when the college Republicans played some game that wanted to point out the illegal immigrants and then there was a protest. I don't feel like there is a lot of school pride. NYU is unusual because we don't have a campus per se, which is weird to many people. I'll always remember when I went to see the premier of Reign Over Me and all of the stars were there (Adam Sandler, Don CHeadle, Liv Tyler, Jada and Will Smith, etc.) at the Skirball Center (FOR FREE) at NYU. THe most frequent student complaints are that there isn't enough financial aid and that there isn't much community here.

There is a lot of diversity here, especially LGBT stuff, but I don't really have any experiences per se. I could see a jock feeling out of place here (but I know a few who like it) and a Republican (but there are the exceptions). Students wear what everyone else in the world wears. No one really interacts unless it's in a small class. There are not tables in the dining hall like in Mean Girls - it is very mixed - I feel like everyone who eats at the dining halls are in a rush to eat a quick meal and get somewhere else. Most NYU students are from the tri-state area, California, and Texas. I think most people here are pretty rich. Students are politically aware, but not really active, although everyone went to see Barack Obama when he came here. We are predominantly liberal. Stern people talk about how much they'll earn.

Professors in small classes know my name (3 of my 4 classes). My favorite class right now is "The Meaning of Leadership" where we learned about leadership throughout time and sectors. My least favorite class was human biology because I had to take it and I hate science. Students are always studying. Class participation is mandatory in most classes; no one really participates in lectures. I don't think I have ever heard a conversation by NYU students that wasn't intellectual. Students are not competitive. My most unique class was probably "Homelessness" in the social work department. My school, the School of Social Work, is awesome because it is tiny and very close-knit. My dean and I know each other very well and it is just great. I see my dean outside of class sometimes but not many other professors because they all have other things going on just like I do. NYU's academic requirements are ok besides Writing the Essay. I think the education at NYU is all about learning for its own sake, unless it's in Stern.

The most popular group, I think, is the Korean singing group or whatever it is. They are very loud. I am involved with Circle K - we do community service. Students in dorms do not leave their doors open. Athletic events are not popular at all unless we are playing Columbia. I don't know about guest speakers. And theater is sort of popular. I don't know anything about the dating scene because I have a boyfriend from home. However so many of the guys here are gay that I can't imagine it's too great for the ladies. I met my closest friends through Circle K and dancing. If I'm up at 2am on Tuesday (almost like now) I am probably doing homework or talking to people on facebook. Traditions/events: the health fair and strawberry fest. People don't really party as much as just go to bars and clubs and stuff, and that's a lot. Frats aren't really a big thing here - I think 5% of our population is involved. Last weekend I went rock climbing in Central Park, went dancing with some friends, did homework, wrote emails, went to see my boyfriend in the Bronx, worked at the dance studio where I work, and went out for drinks on Sunday night. There are a lot of things to do without drinking: Circle K events, Broadway shows, museums, movies, homework, clubs, anything. Off campus: I babysit, I work at a dance studio, and I tutor.

Alex

LOVE living in NYC as opposed to a traditional campus -24/7 energy

LOVE living in NYC as opposed to a traditional campus -24/7 energy

An incredibly diverse student body which is beautiful.

completing this on behalf of NYU Program Board!!

Encouraged to learn just as much outside the classroom as you do inside.

Lots of commuters and no real campus, so not an incredibly active NYU social community, although many thriving sub-communities exist within groups.

Harper

NYU is perfect if you love excitement, new things, and the city. You meet new people everyday. There are tons of good food places and music scenes. We're not that into sports, hence no football team.

The student body is pretty diverse. There are a lot of different groups/clubs if you are interested. Students tend to click to their own ethnic group. Students are politically predominantly left.

Kimmel has the best food. Survey is being completed on behalf of NYU Program Board.

Students are pretty competitive, classes range from 20-200 people, professors generally love student's input and opinions, and our library is amazing.

Clubbing, hookah, ice skating, concerts, etc. theres tons of stuff to do.

NYU students are artsy and lazy.

Devin

living in new york city rules

living in new york city rules

pretty much diverse, very liberal, and nearly everyone here is into fashion

nyu rules if you make it rule. don't expect people to hold your hand in college/nyu.

academics here is tough, because we aren't one of the super ivy league schools or liberal arts schools so we don't have much grade inflation and we aren't one of the easy-to-get-into state schools, so classes are still hard.

partying involves going out to bars or clubs or going to shows. rarely house parties. most freshman drink in the dorms, which kind of sucks.

hipsters, guidos and everything in between

Great location, best "campus" ever, Administration is bloated a difficult to navigate

Very liberal, wealthy, from everywhere, generally well dressed

Easy, not nearly as hard as I expected. Someone once called nyu a fake school, I agree.

NYU Program board is the best thing since the wheel. Joining a club is the easiest way to make new friends and is also fun

Hip, snobs, the guys are either gay or ugly,

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.