New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Dylan

nyu is a love-hate relationship. you're in the heart of the city, you get to explore great areas and have a college experience unlike (and in my opinion, much better) than any other school. you'll hear a lot of students here moaning about how much they hate nyu, but the truth is they wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. most of my classes have been great. there are always some dud teachers that kill the subject for you, but i've been legitimately interested in everything i've taken. the worst part of nyu, by far, is the red tape and the administration. there are a lot of logistical things that are a pain in the ass for students trying to register for classes, pay bills (oh those expensive bills), etc. nyu does a lot to "reach out" to it's students, but it feels like they don't really care. STAY AWAY FROM NYU COUNSELING. they aren't there to help you or do what's best for you, they are there to screen according to a green book of "depression warning signs" (yes, this actually exists and is given to every university employee) and keep you from making nyu look bad (throwing you in a hospital so that you don't kill yourself on nyu property)

I feel like the student body has a good mix. It may take you a while, but i feel like anyone could find their niche at this school. There are definitely divisions in personality types between the different schools, but i've had a lot of friendships with people in very different areas of study than me.

Overall, though i've gone through some shitty things at this school, I'm glad I went here and I can't imagine going anywhere else. Just take advantage of the perks the school offers (these are often hidden so look around) and try to stay away from administration bullshit.

there definitely are a lot of people that fit into these stereotypes, but the school is big enough and diverse enough that you can always find your niche.

I've enjoyed the majority of my class. It really all depends on the teacher, as I've had some non-required classes that sounded amazing but ended up sucking, and some requirements that were so much fun. so really research teachers, either with other students or on websites like ratemyprofessors.com so that you know what you're getting into. the class size varies. most are lectures, in this case you won't really know the teacher (and vice versa) unless you seek them out. it's all about your involvement and participation. but the classes can be really amazing.

The best club at nyu? Program Board. We put on basically every event on campus. If we're not orchestrating it, we're usually at least co-sponsoring it. A lot of good people and a lot of free food. This year I got to go to SXSW as a representative of Program Board and it was one of the best experiences ever. Definitely a lot of perks to joining and a lot to learn if you're interested in concerts, music, lectures, writers, visual art, performance art, and other fun events.

Max

NYU is great because the campus is so integrated into Manhattan. It's as if you're going to school in New York, not specifically a university. If I could change one thing though, it would certainly be to make the school cheaper, I'm going broke paying for college. It's exciting that next year a brand new dorm will be open on 23rd and 3rd and I had the good fortune to get a room on one of the higher floors. I'm pretty excited for the view. And a kitchen. Very excited for the kitchen.

The student populace has quite the varied voice, but for the most part everyone seems open and liberal minded. A hardcore conservative might have problems fitting in, but as long as they didn't force their views on anyone, I'm sure they'd be fine.

This survey is on behalf of Program Board.

For the most part I haven't really met any pretentious NYU students and while a lot of them are rich, most of the people I've met are not.

The lecture classes really vary in size, I've had a lecture with 100 people, and another with over 300 people, and one right now that can't be much over 60 people. The smaller classes the professors are definitely more intimate, but there are still opportunities in lecture to bond with your professor. Out of this past year, my favorite class has been the Brain and Behavior. It's quite interesting to learn all the different functions that go on every time we do any little thing.

Since the school is so expensive a common stereotype seems to be that NYU students are rich. Another seems to be that NYU students are pretentious.

The club is definitely Program Board. You help organize the most interesting events on campus, and you can get into them for free. The fraternity/sorority scene is understandably small as there are no houses really. People who are in them seem to like them, but it probably takes a certain mindset.

MJ

NYU is a huge school right in Manhattan, so people who are looking for a big school spirit-y sports school won't be too happy. But on the other hand, there are tons of schools like that and no other school quite like NYU. The opportunities here - social, academic, professional - are completely unlike any other school I've seen.

I don't think anyone would really feel out of place at NYU - there are groups and niches for almost everyone. Maybe the type of person that hates big cities, but that's there own fault for coming to school in NYC. Students here are from EVERYWHERE, but you do notice a lot from NYC, Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey, simply because of proximity, I guess. Also, a lot (but definitely not all) students are privileged (NYU is NOT cheap). A lot of students would consider themselves liberal, but perhaps that's only the perception because leftists feel very comfortable being vocal about their views in NYC. The NYU College Republicans group is very active as well and has been featured on the national news for a few of their stunts.

Those types of people do go to NYU, but those types of people go to a lot of schools. There are all kinds of people here, most of which don't fit into any stereotype other than "accomplished, motivated college-student".

There are your standard 300-person lectures, but only for intro courses that most people get past in their first year anyway. Since sophomore year, I've been in almost all 20-ish (or less) person seminars and classes. Also, the variety of classes is great. I'm in the school of individualized study, and they offer the sort of original "I would love to take that!" sort of classes that you hear stories about. And anyone (not just people in my school) is allowed to take them with us. Getting a job after NYU is probably pretty easy. I'm going to law school, so I don't know much about the process, but just the number of huge companies in NYC, almost all of which recruit from NYU, means that the opportunities must be great.

School-sponsored activities do attract a sizable amount of students, but a good portion of NYU-ers pretty much ignore any school activities in order to take advantage of NYC itself. It's hard to compare a school play with a Broadway show (although with the quality of students that our programs attract, it's not unusual to see an NYU student in a Broadway show, or a major movie, for that matter). Fraternities and sororities do exist here, with plenty of people, but they sort of form their own clique. Most people I know barely go to frat parties or any Greek events. If I'm up at 2am on a Tuesday here, I'm either struggling through a long ass paper or out at one of the million clubs and bars.

We're all either super-rich and snobby or hipsters who don't shower.

NYU is filled with rich kids. Seriously you will never meet so many kids with their parents credit cards in one place.

some of the proffesers are super stuck up so seriously look them up online before signing up for classes. you may think 4 months isn't that long, but having an essay due every class or a proffeser who gives test every friday sucks way more than you could ever expect. And NEVER sign up for friday classes. 8am class on Tuesdays is so worth the extra free time.

A lot of people see NYU as a hipster, cool, artsy school, but thats actually New School, NYU isn't really that different than a lot of other colleges, kids walking around in sweats. There are a lot of hipsters, but a lot of them are also fake, like they only wear urban and american apparel, and dont actually own anything vintage. There are also a lot of rich kids who have unlimited access to their parents credit cards. And yeah there are smart kids but i think they are better described as school obsessed. Like people stay in sometimes on saturdays to do homework, or spend spring break holed up in Bobst. And NYU does have a campus from Houston to 14th, you could not leave that area the entire time you are at NYU and everyone always talks about going to campus. Yeah there are other people around who arent neccesarily part of NYU but almost every campus has that.

Don't freak out if you get an accpetance letter say "unfortunately you have not been accepted to the class of 2015 of the College of Arts and Science. However, I would like to congragulate you on your acceptance to the General Studies Program...". Otherwise know as GSP, the General Studies Program, is NYU's program for kids who aren't "ready" for NYU, but will be in a year or so, after this repeat of high school. Its a decent program, maybe not worth fifty grand a year, but hey you get to graduate from the school you originally applied to in the end, if you maintain a B average. If you are thinking about studying sciences though, this probably isn't the place for you. seriously the GSP science program is pretty much a joke. Who else can say they have science lab in the computer lab of the journalism building every wednesday morning at 8am? I would say deffintly take advantage of the freshman study abroad program and enjoy the fact that Writing I and II don't have "progressions" like Writing the Essay and you might even have a gossip columnist as your proffesor.

That there are a lot of hipsters, quirky, cool kids. That there is a ton of diversity, everyone is an individual. That NYU doesn't have a campus, that people aren't friendly. That NYU kids are super rich and super smart. That going to NYU is like the golden key to any door, that you will be set for life.

Athletics are the way to go. You meet new people, you get to hang out with older people who know the best bars, the places that dont card and even let you borrow their fake id when you go out, saving you the $150 it would probably cost to buy one yourself. And the Athlete parties are the shit, considering the school basically pays for then with meal money. And you spend 7 days a week at coles or palladium so you are going to work off everything you drink the next day anyways. so yeah the first couple of weeks suck when you consistantly have a hangover at practice, but you get used to it. We may be Division III for most sports but it really is the best combination of athletics and a social life one could ask for.

Anna

I've found that most students are from New Jersey, Long Island, or Westchester, which actually shocked me because I figured a school in the city would have a much more diverse student body. While I do have friends from New Delhi and Singapore, most are from my home state of Jersey. It's actually really nice, though, because every one is pretty close-by during breaks. My best friend here lives only 30 minutes from my home, so I get to see her all the time.

Since the University is so large, it's so easy for things to fall through the cracks. It took me three weeks to get in contact with someone to fix an error with my schedule. I kept getting sent from person to person, department to department. Everybody was just handing over my issues, as if I wasn't important enough to deal with at the moment. That was the most frustrating thing I've had to deal with here yet.

Turns out lots of the student body don't listen to Tapes n' Tapes, wear super skinny jeans and drink PBR.

The thing most people kept telling me was that my classes would all be in lecture halls with upwards of 200 students, and that professors didn't have a clue who sat before them. But I've found that, if you choose the right major it is the exact opposite. I'm in nutrition. I went to orientation in June and met six other freshman who have been in all of my nutrition classes since then. My biggest class right now is about 30 kids, and I know everyone. One of my professors last semester is also my advisor. He knows me by name, and we've gone out for breakfast before. The classes, the professors, and the school are really what you make of it.

Biggest stereotype, I think, is the idea that all students are pretentious "hipsters." I genuinely thought I'd have to purchase a whole new wardrobe and live an entirely new lifestyle coming to NYU.

Running cross country in the fall was the best choice I've ever made. My best friends are on the team and it kept me in shape after being really active in sports in high school. The girls are awesome and we go out together all the time. Having people who have been around and know where to go is also very convenient; they show you places you definitely wouldn't have stumbled upon with other freshman. They show you the bars with the cheapest drinks, the best grocery stores, and just, in general, teach you how to get around.

Andy

The best thing is the amount of money it has so that most things here are really high quality, there are a ton of resources available, and we can hire good quality professors that have been out actually doing the things they're teaching us. If I could change something, I would close the 26th Street dorm. People in my hometown get really impressed when I say I go to NYU. They're usually taken aback.

Black students can feel very out of place here, because there are only a few, and if you don't get along with those few or have anything in common with them it can be tough. I think maybe if there were more black students the few that are here wouldn't have to separate themselves off and be so cliquish.

I really wish NYU was cheaper. It stresses me out and makes me depressed and worried to think about it. I made this decision when I was 17 years old and didn't know any better, and now I feel like I'm stuck in it. It makes me feel guilty to be spending this much money.

People here are often smart and rich. The city was unbelievable at first, but when you don't live so close to campus, when you're really living among normal New Yorkers and not in the lap of luxury, it just becomes ordinary. As far as the education I'm getting, I just think there's a lot of bs involved.

Some professors know my name. My classes are getting smaller the more I get into my major. My favorite class is my Swahili class. We've gotten pretty close, and the Professor Alidina is really sweet and very knowledgeable and Swahili and Swahili culture. On the other hand, I hate my Concepts in Social and Cultural Analysis class. It is graded entirely on attendance and participation, and not on performance. There is too much room for subjectivity in that.

People think we're all really smart and rich. That we live some sort of dream life in the city and that we're getting an amazing education.

Washington Square News is really popular, and so is the Academic Achievement Program. I did Alternative Spring Break this year and it was a lot of fun. I met some great people and had a really meaningful and enlightening break.

Angela

NYU is definitely too large to cultivate any sort of school spirit or unity. The way I often describe it to people is that half my graduating class could die in a fiery subway wreck, and the only thing I'd notice is that the line for the elevators is shorter. However, being in New York offers you a lot of opportunities that you wouldn't get in a less urban area, or even in another city. So if you're the type to take advantage of that, it's still worth it, but if you'd rather have a more traditional college experience that includes knowing most of the people in your classes and having school traditions and graduating with a sense of having participated in some common experience, then NYU is not the right choice.

First, I would say that not all students are that integrated with each other. I think NYU is more conducive to bubbles of networks (like teams or clubs) than cross-interaction. I don't think students necessarily feel "out of place," but I also don't think students necessarily feel any sense of "belonging" or "community." There's too many people either way - you've got to relate to someone, but you're not going to relate to the majority. Most students are from the New York area, New Jersey, or California. We're more financially diverse than say, the Ivy League schools, but it's something that could be improved if we had a larger endowment. Politically, it is definitely predominantly left, which is logical, since people who choose to go to school in New York are probably also likely to be Democrats, but there are a fair amount of Republicans as well.

Well... yes. Not 100%, obviously, but let's be real; we all know stereotypes exist for a reason.

I think in my three years here, three of my professors have known my name. My favorite classes by far have been in the French department, and I've heard from other students as well that it's the language departments that offer the best academic experiences, because the class sizes are smaller and the interaction is of a better quality. Class discussion is not very common because class size is generally not small enough to facilitate it, but presentations and more lecture-like participation is sometimes used.

I don't actually know anyone who participates in greek life, nor where any of the frats or sororities are, so I think unless you're in one, it's not a big part of your life. Athletic events are not popular. They have to give away free T-shirts and food to get people to attend. I met my closest friends my freshman year dorm through a program called Explorations, which involves taking excursions together and in our case, taking a class together (that was required anyway). Partying is up to you; you can do it as often or as scarcely as you desire.

The stereotypes that exist are definitely by school. Stern students are all about the money. Tisch students will all be waiters. Gallatin students don't really have majors. Steinhardt and the College of Arts and Science are a little too broad to generalize, I think. Undergraduate students of the School of Social Work don't seem to exist. And I can't keep track of any other schools. The guys are all gay (or soon will be), and the girls are easy.

The best thing about NYU are the amazing apartment style housing options that are offered next year. I would absolutely make the school smaller. I'd also do an experiment where I pick up this university and plop it down in the middle of Idaho, and see who applies. People are usually pretty impressed when I tell them i go to NYU, they something like, "oh wow enjoying the big city?" I spend most of my time in my dorm, my friends dorms, or at the dining hall or at the gym. NO COLLEGE TOWN. Everyone is pretending to be 4 years older than they are. We are 18, not 24, stop going clubbing and to stupid bars. NYU's administration likes money. They rip you off. always. There is very little school pride.

For the most part, yes. The thing with the NYU student in general is that they were all drawn to the city for some reason, and people who are drawn to the center of everything that is going on must have something cool about them going on. This is not true. Everyone looks as if they'd be really interesting, but they are all so busy trying to create this idea of being interesting that they are really all exactly the same. NYU students are all trying to be something other than themselves.

A stereotype of NYU students in general is that they are all hipster-chic, wanna-bes who wear a uniform of black skinny jeans, a faded T, and ray-bahns. The stereotype of Stern Business School students is that they are Asian, wear suits, care more about getting ahead in the business world than, well, anything else at all. They all walk around with their backpacks that say which bank they work for. Tisch students are subject to the universal annoying theater student stereotype.

Olivia

The best things about NYU are its location and its resources. I would change the layout of the school and perhaps consolidate it a little more so it had a more community feel, it's alienating sometimes. It feels too large because it is so spread out, but I don't the the actual number of students is the problem. I spend most of my time around Washington Square and St. Marks Place. It's definitely not a college town in the classic sense, but there are plenty of things for college age kids to do. The university administration often seems like it takes pleasure in making things as bureaucratically complicated as possible, but I have been impressed by Gallatin (my school's) administration. There isn't really school pride, just New York City pride. There are a million unusual things about NYU, particularly, we don't really have a campus, or many of the other identifiably "college" things. I'll always remember watching Obama speak in Washington Square Park. I think the most frequent complaints are: hard to meet people, no campus, alienating.

There are billions of LGBT groups, theatre and music groups, a few greek organizations, and very little else. A student who is very shy or conservative would feel out of place. Most students wear trendy east village hipster stuff to class. Most students are either from the Tri state area or California, with some exceptions. Most are upper middle class/upper class, again with exceptions. Students are politically aware. They are pretty much all liberal. Stern students are the only ones I hear talking about their future salaries.

actually, for the most part, yes.

gay, rich, stylish, druggie, heavy smoker, Jewish, hipster, not friendly

In my smaller Gallatin classes my professors know me, and my TA's do. My favorite class is Writing the American South. My least favorite is Intro to Psychology. I don't think people study that often. Class participation is most common in smaller classes but overall very common. In terms of intellectual conversation outside of class, it depends on who you hang out with, but overall I'd say not very often. Students aren't very outwardly competitive. The most unique class I've taken was Writing in Times of Historical Crisis, which combined history, literature, and writing in a very interesting way. I'm an undecided major in Gallatin, which is the school for individualized study, which I like a lot. I did talk to one of my professors outside of class a few times, but I haven't made any real connections with a professor. I feel really pleased with Gallatin's requirements, but from what I've heard about MAP requirements, they sound ridiculously strict. I feel like education at NYU is often very pre-professional, not always, but I get more of that feel here than at other schools. I would like it to be more intellectual.

the most popular organizations are usually performance oriented. No one really goes to athletic events. Theater is popular. There really is no dating scene, just hooking up, especially if you're a straight girl..you're pretty much out of luck. The gay boys dominate. People party a lot, but not in the traditional college dorm party way. There's tons to do off campus, with and without drinking--shows, concerts, etc.

The best thing about NYU is living in the city and never running out of things to do. Also that being emmersed in the city helps me to be independent and mature. Things I would change- have more gyms, pay less for tuition, get better and more accessible food for all the dining halls. I spend most of my time at my acting studio or in the area surrounding Washington Square Park. I think NYU has pretty great administrators...at least I can speak for the Drama dept. Not a lot of school pride. NYU is unusual in that it's not the stereotypical college in any sense-- no real campus, not a large greek/party life, no big school sporting events, BUT every room has its own bathroom!

I have found that students here tend to dress up for class more often than students did when I was in high school in CA. All different types of students interact, but sometimes there's a definite separation of races/religious groups. Most students are politically aware. Maybe business students talk about how much they'll earn one day....i really don't know or care.

It can be really hard to find a community or make friends when starting out at NYU.

In general out of the students I have come across: Rich- not all but a lot, smart- most, highly competative- most, artsy- yes, but mostly in Tisch School of the arts (duh), gay- more than in other schools, Jewish- yes, large Jewish community, diverse- very but few African Americans, stuck up- not the majority

All of my professors know my name. I can only speak for myself but I study ALL THE TIME-- ten times more than I had to in High School, but it doesn't seem like a ridiculous amount because I'm acutally learning about things I enjoy. Yes, NYU students have intellecutal conversations outside of class-- all the time. I spend time with some of my professors outside of class, but not a lot. Edu. at NYU is geared toward learning for its own sake (the theatre program definitely cannot garuntee that I'll get a job) The most unique class I've taken is either one of my acting classes or African Dance

Students are: rich, smart, highly competative, artsy, gay, Jewish, ethnically diverse, stuck up, etc.

I leave my door unlocked most of the day but I deadbolt it at night. Athletic events are not popular at all. Theater is really popular-- esp. among the Tisch students. I met my closest friends in my acting studio and in my residence hall. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tues. I am definitely doing homework. A good amount of students party/drink 1-3 days out of the week. Fraternaties and sororities are not that important in the NYU community. You can do a MILLION things in the city that don't involve drinking...jazz clubs, restaurants, movies, theaters. It's not hard to not drink but it's REALLY hard to do anything without spending money.

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.