New York, NY
New York University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend New York University

Andy

The greatest thing about NYU is the location! Where else can I see Mario Bertolli walking up and down 5th Ave. in his orange crocs? Or see Robert DeNiro pushing his kids in a stroller? Everything is so convenient, and I feel like I am being a good person because I walk everywhere instead of driving. One thing I would change is the cost! It's mad expensive here- not just attending, but living in the city, period. It's the perfect size for me. I know it's really like, what, 40,000 students or something? But I don't see them all- I have some really big classes, and then I have recitations and classes with like, 15 people. It's nice. People's eyes get big when I tell them I go to NYU. They ask me if I go into the city all the time...and I say yes. Because the school is in the city. As a matter of fact, NYU IS THE CITY, pretty much. I spend most of my time either in Weinstein (the residence hall with 2 dining options) or in my dorm studying, or at Kimmel where all of the student activities stuff happens. This isn't a college town by traditional definition. To me, college towns mean that the entire city knows when there is a football game, and all the kids grow up knowing everything about the university and wanting to go there all of their lives. Here, NYU just owns most of the property in the city, so it takes up a lot of space, but there is no sports team that all the families rally around. We're not really known for our sports, but we do all right. Administration I am skeptical of, since some people are friendly but many are not. Also, they don't like it when you point out their mistakes- especially financial aid! The biggest recent controversy? Well, there was the time that the politics department caught all these students cheating on a midterm, resulting in the "destruction" of over 250 student's tests. I don't know if there were other controversies, though. Maybe. There isn't much NYU pride as a whole, but that is because most people are busy cheering for their own "schools" within NYU. The business school is the most fanatic, but that is because they are all competing for jobs and such.

No one feels out of place at NYU. I mean, NO ONE. There is some sort of group or club or union for everyone. Literally. I have never seen a place where there is no outcasts because there are so many groups, there is no way a person could not find one that they didn't like. If they did, they could start a club of their own. And since frats and sororities aren't as popular as they are in other universities, there isn't pressure to go greek. Most students wear whatever, but generally, you can tell that the girls especially have a sort of "New York fashion flare" about them. The trends you see in magazines are the trends that a lot of the girls wear. Still, there are others that do their own thing. 4 tables of students: there would probably be the Stern table, and then three other tables with all kinds of people. Stern is kind of in its own world. Students are pretty politically active, and I would say the majority are either apathetic or left. Students speculate on what they will earn one day, but most students say that the Stern kids will earn the most, and the Tisch kids will be starving artists. It's not completely true, but we joke about that kind of stuff just because we know how intense the Sternies are.

Not by any means! Sure, many of us did well in high school, but "smart" is not the term I would use to describe us. More accurately, I would say that we are all driven by some sort of passion in a specific area. I wasn't a 4.0 student, but I worked really hard to do well in History, English, and Politics, because that is what I am passionate about. And even though my roommate is a theater major, she isn't overdramatic- she doesn't wear black all the time, or wear barets, or recite Shakespeare all the time. In fact, you wouldn't even know she was in the drama school unless you asked her. And as for being rich-- hahaha! What a joke. NYU is very expensive and everyone I know is working at least one job, or always on the hunt for scholarships.

Some of my professors know my name, but students have to be willing to go to their professors office hours if they really want that personal connection. My favorite class last semester was my Politics class, and this semester, it's a toss up between Black Urban Studies and Natural Science II: Brain and Behavior. My least favorite was Conversations of the West--it is a pretty boring class that I didn't learn much from. Most students study pretty hard here. Everyone I know studies pretty much every night, during the day, and at least 1 day on weekends. We also like to have fun, though. Even people with really rigorous classes like to have a break every once in a while, though. When midterms and finals roll around, we study like crazy. Once my roommate and I had a marathon study weekend where we took 15 minute breaks every 2 hours or so. It was ridiculous, but we work hard. Class participation is more common in the classes that people like the most, which are mostly the non-requirement classes. We always have intellectual conversations. Lots of people are passionate about some social issue or another, whether it be domestic or international. Students are competitive, but it is friendly competition. And it really isn't against one another, but against our grades from the previous semester--we are always trying to do better. Except, the Stern school students are really competitive--the business school is really hard to get into and even harder to get a job from, so the students are kind of cutthroat. The Politics department seems nice, but the Africana Studies department is a little disorganized. That's okay with me, though, because I know it's still a relatively new department. Education at NYU is geared mostly towards getting a job. I think I've learned a lot already, just for it's own sake, but people are aware that it "looks good" to come from a school like NYU, so they want to do all they can to get a good job and pay for all the debt they've generated taking out loans to pay for NYU.

I'm involved with Speech and Debate, and even though it is one of the smaller groups on campus, we always do really well at tournaments. Students do leave their doors open, but we still knock before we come in, just to be polite. Theater is most popular because broadway is so close, and people have friends that are in shows. Athletic events get good support, too. We always have great guest speakers and many students enjoy seeing them as well. As for the dating scene--some girls feel as if they get slim pickings, just because all of the "good" single guys are either taken or gay. But eventually, people find someone, because we not only have 40,000 students but we do stuff with other schools so its easy to meet people if you take the time to be friendly. I meet my friends in a variety of ways: sometimes through my other friends, sometimes in classes or at events. It all depends. My roommates and I are all pretty close and we do stuff together. For some people, every day is a party with the occasional break to go to class for midterms. For others, every day is a neverending class with the occasional break for food and showering. Most of us like to balance work and play. When big tests come up, we are confined to our rooms and studying hard, but we like to reward ourselves for a job well done. Last weekend, I went to a dance competition featuring one of the guys on my floor. Then, I came back and watched Gone Baby Gone. Weekend before that I went to Yaffa Cafe on St. Marks and 1st Ave, and the next day I went to a Speech and Debate tournament on Long Island. Saturday nights offer a lot of non-alcoholic options. There's theater, movies, and dancing if you have money, and ice skating, uptown window browsing and the Tea Spot for bubble tea and relaxing music if you have only a little bit of money. If you are completely broke, there is always someone with a nice TV, DVD's, and food. My friends and I like to go to Times Square when our other friends come into town, and listen to music at the Virgin Mobile store. Or we take the Staten Island Ferry, which is free, and chill around the South Street Seaport. Off campus is the best for getting non-dining hall food, and it isn't always expensive. Of course, technically, we don't really have a campus, so even the pizza place on Macdougal is considered off campus.

Usually, I hear three basic stereotypes about NYU students- we're all either super smart, ridiculously rich, or overdramatic.

Maggie

NYU is huge. There are thousands upon thousands of undergraduates, but NYU compensates by having thousands upon thousands of course offerings, professors, and clubs. It's a big college with all the advantages that entails and none of the disadvantages. It's situated in a lovely corner of Manhattan, just around the corner from $2.50 falafel and a plethora of specialty bars. The village is your campus, and it is huge. The downside to this is that if you're not careful, classes can be very far apart indeed. This is usually avoidable, so long as you're not a language major and you pay attention to the location before you sign up for a class. Language major? You'll get a lot of exercise.

To a T. These are the people you notice first, and they are ubiquitous. However, lurking like the fat chick at prom beneath the glamorous surface of NYU's debutante ball is a collection of genuinely interesting people. These two groups are like oil and water, though, so once you've found a social group to your liking, you'll likely never have to make awkward small talk with a vacuous party-girl again.

The men are gay and the woman are self-centered fashionistas. Uggs abound and that cute boy in your biology class? He's dating the equally adorable pre-med on his left. That slob in the corner is single, though.

The Classics department is tiny, and the specialty classes it offers are no less so. Take Latin or Greek and your instructor will know your name within two classes. Take one of the larger, common-interest classes, like mythology or history and you're in a lecture with a hundred and forty-nine other people, fighting for attention. This is the trend with most majors - the more specialized your class, the smaller. Oh, and the academic requirements are the bane of every student's existence. Especially the much-hated 'Writing the Essay'.

Rachael

The best thing about NYU is that you can pursue any interest that you have, the possibilities are endless. One thing I would change is the gender ratio at NYU, I would want it to be more even. Our school is very large, but the schools within the university make NYU it small as well. When I tell people I go to NYU, they assume that I have a lot of money and that I am very artsy/cultured. I spend most of my time in the student lounge at the Stern School. This is NYC, there is no college town, but a city that I think rivals any college town. NYU administration are very kind and helpful when you persist, but overall the adminstration is pretty impersonal. The biggest controversy is NYU's new study abroad site in Abu Dabi, and how it will be funded. We have very little school pride as a whole, but everyone is proud they go to NYU. There are many things unusual about NYU, we are not a typical school. One experience I will always remember is looking out into the city at the top of an NYU building the first week of school. Students frequently complain about how expensive NYU is.

Everyone at NYU is very open to everything. A heterosexual, homophobic white southern/midwestern male who lives for sports would feel out of place. Students wear just about anything, but mostly indie/artsy clothing. Different types of students rarely interact. The indie kids, the asian crowd, the brown crowd, and the unclassified students sit at the dining hall. NYU students are from the tri-state area and california. Most NYU students are uppermiddle class stuents. Students can be politically aware, but many are not. Most students are left. Students do not talk about earning, other than if they are in the Stern school

These stereotypes are somewhat accurate, but there is no typical student at NYU. it's such a large school, you'll find every type of person.

All the kids are hipsters/indie, Tishies, Sternies, everyone's wealthy, we see celebrities all the time

Professors in small classes know my name. My favorite class is Intro to Public Service. My least favorite was Calculus II. Students study monday through thursday, and intermittently throughout the weekend. class participation is very common. NYU students occassionally have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students overall are not that competitive. The most unique class i have taken is europe & africa. I am a business major. I do not spend time with professors out of class. I feel that NYU's academic requirements are not anything special, it doesnt set NYU apart as a university. The stern school is geared towards a job

The best thing about NYU...probably how pretty diverse it is. I've met a lot of pretty amazing people, from completely different backgrounds and perspectives. I'd probably make some changes in the housing office at NYU. For starters, I'd hire competent people. Since I was a sternie, I spent most of my time on "campus" in front of that R2D2 building in Gould Plaza. I've always hated that name, I feel like I have rotten cheese in my mouth when I say it. Each school is relatively small, but NYU in general is huge. Seems like everyone still knows everyone though. Facebook keeps me updated. I don't think NYU provided me with any one experience that I'll always remember. I did spend a whole lot of time overnight in the student lounge in Stern. Going to Seoul over spring break with stern was pretty rad too. Although that wasn't much of an educational trip, that was more of a week long alcohol binge that I barely remember.

I've seen that being at NYU, or even in the city, makes people more comfortable with the idea of sexual and racial diversity, even if they weren't before. It's hard to generalize about the way people dress at NYU when there are so many different types of people. But on any given day, you'd definitely find lots of people in Gould Plaza in suits. Some fashionable people. Then there was the Uggs and jean skirt kick a while back. Never really fancied the fashion trends that flew through NYU. Most people have a good amount of money, considering that 4 years at NYU is about $200K. And NYU is cheap on handing out the financial aid and scholarships. So for the rest of us without money, well, it isn't pleasant. NYU's pretty liberal, although you'll find a right winger splashed into the mix here and there.

Sure, for the most part, yes. Although stern isn't just asian nation, it's brown, yellow and russian. Not many white people though. And I'm not sure if the thing about communication majors is a stereotype. It might be more of an observation.

Most professors didn't know my name since I hardly attended classes. I couldn't stand most of the stern courses, except for some of the marketing and business development ones. I remember liking the macro and microeconomics courses freshman year. The micro teacher was an italian woman who enjoyed her armpits au naturel. The macro teacher was a young italian man who would fall off of the stage every week, and pop up from the floor with an "oop eeek!" Do NYU students have intellectual conversations outside of class? What kind of a question is that? What's the definition of intellectual here? I'd like to think so, I've had some pretty thoughtful conversations about some pretty silly things. But I'm still taking the time out to think something through. Anyway, yes, students are competitive. Some are a little crazy with it. People spend time with professors outside of class? I definitely don't. the NYU education is fine. Being in a school like Stern was a little rough because it didn't give me the freedom to do everything I wanted. The academic requirements are rigid, so if you're not on the finance business track, it's frustrating. I would have liked to take more music classes, but with only 32 extra credits, most of those designated to CAS, it was basically impossible.

Again, I didn't really do a lot of NYUish stuff. The greek life likes to think that they're popular, but they suck big huevos. The PIKE frat is pretty lame - most are in stern and think they are pretty. Same with AphiZ. The twits. The STDS just run rampant between those two. Athletics, don't even get me started. NYU's mascot is based on the Bobst LIBRARY system, and before that, it was a flower. A big purple flower. There isn't even a football team, how unamerican are we. I think the fencing team is good. I have a friend on the fencing team. Cracks me up every time I picture him in a fencing outfit with a skinny little sword. That's about all I can say on that. I met some of my closest friends through living with them or through other friends. A lot of my best friends attend(ed) New School, mostly writers/music people. Don't ask me what I was doing in Stern. Haha I have to say, those semi-formals were always amusing. the violet ball and the stern semi-formal brings flashbacks of high school proms. Hmm...people party extremely often. too many different kinds of places to party. the beginning of freshman year, it was a lot of macdougal street. then came lotus, cain, the meatpacking district and 29th st. east village/les has taken over. you can do lots of things on a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, but i'd probably have a glass of scotch anyway.

Hmm. Well, stereotypes according to school - GSPers = generally stupid people, Sternies = asian nation, Tisch = artsy, and I don't really know much about the 10 other schools. Apart from that, everyone's rich and everyone's jewish. Communication majors are stupid.

Dylan

The best thing about NYU in my opinion is the breadth of classes that are offered and the quality of the professors that teach these classes. The History Department has some of the most amazing classes and magnificent professors whose own published studies compliment the work of the classes. NYU is a large school, and I liked that it was so big. You could meet a different group of people every semester through classes, clubs, and your friends' classes and clubs. In general, people are impressed that I went to NYU; the academics in the departments I am familiar with are great. It is also in the center of Greenwich Village, so people tend to be envious that NYC was my homebase throughout school, and has continued to be post-graduation. There is no enclosed campus, but Washington Square Park and its surrounding area is consistently flooded with NYU students, so it doesn't feel strange that NYU lacks gates. Students often complain that NYU's administration is bureaucratic, and its true that there are, at times, many steps that need to be taken to get something done. However, with a student population as large as NYU's, it seems that these steps are the best way possible, in practice, to get things done. One thing that's difficult about NYU is how expensive the school is. Personally, I got a great deal of merit-based financial aid scholarship from the College of Arts and Science, but I know that this is definitely not true for many students. This does contribute to a large population of NYU students being from upper middle class to upper class backgrounds.

NYU definitely does have a diverse student body racially, religiously, and LGBT-wise, definitely less diverse socio-economically. Due to NYU's high tuition, many of the students I encountered were economically very well off. I was one of the few students I knew who was paying her own tuition, needed loans, paid my own rent, bought her own food, etc. There are few financially independent undergraduate students that I encountered. NYU is definitely a liberal school, and students are definitely politically active and aware. There are clubs, organizations and presentations that feature prominent political leaders; I actually met Bill Clinton while at NYU.

Overall, I am beyond happy that I went to NYU, and I can't imagine having gone to college anywhere else. I now have a great job, am incredibly happy, and have amazing memories of my classes, clubs, and overall experience at NYU. My friends from Freshman Year are still some of my best friends. At NYU, I was able to define myself in a way I would never have imagined while in High School.

-NYU does have a higher population of LGBT students than many other universities, which helps diversify the student population. -Many NYU students had done theatre in highschool, and while the Tisch School of the Arts has a large population of students

Professors definitely know students names. In general, history classes were small and very discussion-based. I still see professors I had freshman year, and I graduated a year ago, who recognize me and say hello on the street. I'm also still in touch with a few professors whose classes I was particularly interested in. Class participation is definitely common, and the only way to propel a class discussion forward is to debate, comment and critique on texts read and commentaries made. NYU students definitely have intellectual discussions outside of class about everything from politics to cinematography. An NYU education is definitely well-rounded, and certain courses of study gear students more toward employment while other are more concept-based academic studies.

There is a club for everything at NYU. I did community-service based work, but I also met people by going to the gym, through my freshman year residence hall experience, and in class. My sister was part of the swim team, and she is very involved in the athletics area of NYU's social life. While most NYU students are not in attendance at sporting events, the athletes tend to go these matches to support one another. NYU also has festivals throughout the year that promote a great deal of mingling, socializing, networking, etc.

-All of the men are gay -Everyone is artsy and interested in theatre -People are music snobs -The business students are all Asian

Cody

All things told, NYU is a fantastic institution with great opportunities, but it is definitely not for everyone. If you’re looking for the ultimate university experience with rolling lawns, outrageous frat parties, and a football team, then keep moving. If you’re interested in a metropolitan experience that makes you feel a little closer to the real world than prolonging high school, then look no further. The thing about NYU is that while most students will complain about it until the cows come home, they sort of knew what they were getting themselves into. We’re in New York City, and there’s no one here to hold our hands, so we may have to grow up a little bit faster than some of our state school friends (maybe).

One thing I should have expected but didn’t was how much money most of my peers seem to have. I come from a relatively poor background, and while my parents were moving me into the dorms with my belongings in boxes we’d collected from the local grocer, my fellow students were moving in with designer bags. I’ve acclimated, but I still sometimes feel like I can’t relate to some of my peers because I have bills and am taking out so many student loans. I have friends here who have literally never worked in their lives, while I’m holding down three jobs this semester just to make ends meet.

I think NYU is basically what you make of it, and it can be everything you want it to be, including if you want it to fit into all of the stereotypes. Yes it is a difficult school, and sure, it does seem like every guy you like ends up liking the guy down the hall, but the classes are manageable if you put in the effort, and as for men, well that?s why God invented bars (and there are plenty around campus). The administration can seem insensitive, but they aren?t unreachable, so students with a real bone to pick are always welcome to talk to someone. Also, if you don?t want to be a part of the party crowd, there are alternatives, and if you really can?t bear housing, well there are alternatives there too. In the end, again, the school is what the students decide to let it be, although I will say, it is pretty liberal?

I think NYU is one of the most internally stereotyped universities in the States. My experience was that I sort of had a feel for how the school would be, but it wasn’t until I got to ‘welcome week’ and was not very subtly informed of all of the stereotypes by the desperate attempts of the programming to persuade the incoming freshman that they weren’t true. The classics are that all of the guys are gay, the administration doesn’t care, the classes are really hard, and the school is very, very liberal. I also heard some great stories about housing being unfair and that drugs were the new alcohol on campus.

A world-class education undoubtedly is one of the major draws to NYU, but New York City certainly doesn’t hurt. I’m double-majoring in psychology and history, and I’ve found in them two very different experiences. My history classes have tended to be smaller and more intimate with a focus on discussion, while the psych classes have been larger and research driven. I’ve found that I’m loving my history major, but the psychology major has left me feeling a little let down. My advice to prospective students would be to contact the department they’re interested in directly to determine if the structure of the major is what you’re looking for. As a whole though, my academic experience has been very positive, and I’ve built strong relationships with several of my professors. The thing to remember is that it’s the student’s burden to make those connections because a professor simply isn’t going to have time for a student they’ve never seen in class or spoken to before.

Andy

NYU is an extremely populated school - too populated in my opinion. I think we need to concentrate more on the students who are already attending NYU, instead of trying to recruit more and more than we used to if we can't even afford to support the students that are currently students.

The great thing about NYU is that it's so diverse that you can make up your own group and be accepted for it. However, there's always the mainstream trend that would be called "normal" I suppose. We never wear pajamas to class but usually tend to dress up more than other students at different colleges tend to. Generally, the NYU population is extremely liberal.

To an extent they're accurate, but of course like all stereotypes, it's horrible to generalize over an entire population.

I think most of the classes are generally stimulating to our brains, but that doesn't stop them from boring either. The classes are smaller than normal, probably 13-20 per class. The professors generally know who we are and our names and there are so many intelligent people at school. It's really challenging sometimes.

Jane

The best thing about NYU is living in NYC. Even though we don't have a "campus" exactly, I wish that there was more of a community in the residence halls and stuff. Sometimes I feel like you have to try so hard to meet people and make friends and I can see why some people wouldn't like it, especially if they are shy. I guess, since I consider NYC my real campus, I spend most of my time traveling around from thing to thing. I babysit way up town, I have to go to club meetings in Queens and Brooklyn, and then I give tours all around Washington Sq Park. But I do spend a lot of time in Starbucks!

NYU is actually less diverse than people think, mostly economically, because NYU isn't great at giving financial aid, and still SO many people go - people are generally upper-middle-class or waaaay above. That is boring to me. But LGBT is frequent,and religions are diverse. If there were 4 tables, they would mostly just be divided up by NYU schools.

I made NYU sound kind of bad but I absolutely love it and would never be able to go anywhere else!

I'd say for the most part, but of course it doesn't apply to everyone and every sport.

Most of my classes are small because I am in a small school (social work). This is really nice and the people in my classes tend to become very close because of the subject matter we are dealing with all of the time in our classes. A unique class that I'm taking now, which is outside of the School of Social Work, is called the Meaning of Leadership, and it's all about examining leadership styles from Socrates to today and what is most effective. I really like it!

I am really involved with community service organizations on campus, especially Circle K. I am also an Admissions Ambassador, and a member of the NAACP. NYU kids will pretty much only go to athletic events when there is free food or shirts. No one leaves their doors open. No one. Last weekend: I hosted a danceathon for my club to raise money for UNICEF at a local dance studio on Friday night (we made $200!). On Saturday I got a late breakfast and then went to a hip-hop class. Then I went up to Manhattan College in the Bronx to see my boyfriend. Then I babysat for a few hours. On Sunday, I spent my entire day in the library doing homework. Then I went back to my room and cleaned it a lot haha. Pretty thrilling.

Everyone is into art. The sports teams may as well not exist because they suck. All the guys are gay.

Victor

I like the school size. It's all over the place in the east and west village. I wouldn't call it a college town for sure....the campus is the city, though the concentration around Wash Square Park gives you a false sense of community. In terms of school pride, I never really noticed much of any until I went to a guys basketball game. Not sure if they were screaming because they even know what the rules of the game were and who was winning, or if they were drunk and just passing the time.

It's such a melting pot. I love that everyone is from everywhere. Freshman year, my neighbors were two Lebanese twins from Jersey. Sophomore year, they were two girls from Holland and Switzerland. And they were all hot. Doesn't get much better than that. In terms of classroom wardrobe, there is quite a divide. There are the girls that dress to the nines, makeup, heels, Gucci purses, Coach sunglasses. Then there are the dudes with the sweatpants, beanies, scruffy beards and slippers. I prefer comfort over appearance. If there were four tables in the dining hall, one would be a group of goofy liberal arts kids, one would be packed with white frat kids in polos, jeans and sneakers, chattin obnoxiously about some "broads" or sorostitutes. One would definitely be filled with vivacious indian kids, with the token white or asian kids, of course. Finally, the last one would have some artistic, musical kids wearing band t-shirts, tight jeans, rockin' crazy hair and Converses Most NYU kids are from LI, North Jersey and California...and at least one-third of kids have some serious wealth (at least their families do). Most kids are left-leaning or full-blown liberalites, though there are some lurking moderates and even conservatives, though they don't speak out for fear of being ridiculed/stoned.

For the most part, no. Though every stereotype spawns from some truth.

The only professors that knew my name were in the Spanish department. Small classes, easier to connect, just happened that way. Many classes are huge halls, broken into sections taught by a TA, who didn't care to know you anyway. NYU kids are pretty cool. So diverse. Definitely intellectual, although I was surprised by how many dumb/annoying/non-wisdom seeking individuals who got in. I wish i met up with my professors outside of class. I wasn't one to really engage with my professors during office hours and whatnot, unfortunately. NYU education is certainly for learning's sake, but if you want it to be used to get a job, it's easily utilized that way.

Most popular clubs are probably career-focused. I belonged to the Ski/Snowboard club, which runs some pretty cool subsidized trips. The Washington Square News runs a pretty tight ship and the staff is pretty friendly and fun to work with. As far as athletics...i think we are awesome at fencing? Frat life is lame at NYU. As are the majority of people in them. They are organized groups that you can roll with wherever you want to give you a false sense of family. Who needs 25 more brothers or sisters? Their called friends, people. Get them on your own. The dating scene....ah. Evolves drastically from freshman to senior year. What starts as sneaking into each others dorms to drink cheap wine and forties eventually empties your already shallow pockets as you scrounge for quarters between the couch cushions to bankroll a $30 bar tab. But man, the ratio is TOTALLY in our (guys) favor. I'd put it at 55%/45? girls to guys, with 30% of guys being gay, automatically shifting the scales to 65%/35%. 2 to 1? I'll take it. Saturday nights without drinking? We're in New York City. Endless opportunities to keep busy. Depending on the weather, the park scene is rockin from the east to the west side. Museums, from the MoMa to the Whitney to Madame Tussaud's, are always a good call. Plus, NYU's discount helps quite a bit. There are poetry clubs and comedy shows, sports games and street performances...like i said, endless possibilities...but some don't come cheap.

The guys are all rich, metrosexual, Jewish, spoiled....and pussies. The girls...JAPs, sex-deprived, materialistic, and lucky.

Alex

Most people think NYU is a great school, and an expensive one when it is mentioned. I spent most of my time in the dining hall or in the park if I was on campus. It looks like a college town during the 4 minutes between classes, when all the students are on the streets around Washington Square Park trying to get to lunch or their next class. But it is definitely a "college town" in the city. You dont just see professors and student around. There are residents, children, and a lot of squirrels around. NYU administration sucks. They are unorganized, slow, and not very helpful. The best thing about NYU is definitely its location in the heart of NYC. I didn't mind going to a very large school such as NYU but some people will find it overwhelming. NYC is pretty much the most wonderful town to be in if you are in your late teens and early twenties. You learn a lot of independence and you get to experience the diverse cultures that inhabit NYC. You also get to meet so many different types of people with different ideas, accents, backgrounds. You grow up and learn fast at the reality of how life is. You have homeless people on your campus. There are just so many people around you, rapidly going about their life around you. Yet you do not know any of them. There are a lot of opportunities for cultural events, you just have to seek them out. The Graduate Student Union strike dominated the news 2 years back and the administration has made it pretty clear that it will not negotiate with them. In the end, I believe that everything went back to the status quo. Most of the complaints are hear (some which I have made myself) is in regards to scheduling classes and housing. It is a mess. I tried to get in a class and I got in but could not get into a recitation that would fit my schedule so I couldnt get in. But one of my friends got in through the help of another professor. You have to have some connections sometimes and actively push for what you want, which I never really did.

The student body is fairly diverse. There are a lot of caucasians and asians but not that many hispanics or african americans. Most of my friends come from diverse backgrounds. However, I have seen groups of friends that are predominately one race. NYU also has a large gay community and an active LGBT scene. I think everyone has the freedom to believe what they want to believe in, without the fear of being persecuted. Most people are left leaning, there are very few republicans on campus but the ones that do exist are pretty vocal about their political beliefs. Most students are really stylish. After awhile I felt the pressure to look good and stop wearing lounge pants and sweatshirts to class. For boys, collared shirts and polos seem to be popular. Girls like tight jeans and pretty tops. There are also a lot of fashion forward people that look like they stepped out of the pages of Nylon magazine. It is not a good place for those who want a lot of individualized attention from counselors and professors. If you do want that, you have to actively pursue it. NYU is also an environment that supports independence. So if a student can not handle doing things alone, they might not enjoy going to NYU. NYU students are from all over the world. But I have met alot of students from NJ and NY. Regarding financial backgrouds, I know alot of people like me who had to take out loans and depend on scholarships in order to attend NYU. However, I have met some students that don't need the aid and have paid off the tuition up front. That a lot.

They only apply to a small percentage of NYU students. Alot of people I know that went to NYU did not do drugs and were not rich. Instead, the other schools at NYU had a larger student body with diverse majors and backgrounds.

Most professors do not know my name. The classes were large and I never stayed after class to chit chat or go to office hours. In small classes, with a maximum of 15 people, the professor knew my name eventually. The academics were fairly rigorous. There are some classes that are really easy, those that are part of the core requirement (MORSE academic plan, but within my majors, chemistry and economics, most classes required a lot of studying and intense individual reading and learning. I've had some wonderful professors and some not so wonderful ones. My least favorite was a professor for linear algebra. He walked in saying that he found out 10 minutes before class that he had to teach this class. NYU's math department is in need of some restructuring. The best professors I have had were in the departments of French and Chemistry and these ended up being my favorite classes. There is competitiveness within some groups, such as Stern and pre-med students but it's important to not let that get to your head. I feel like learning for learning's sake is more satisfying than beating out someone else's score by one point. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't feel this way. I feel that Stern really prepared the students to get internships and jobs throughout the school year, preparing them for work after. However, in other schools the education at NYU didn't really prepare students for a job. You would have to actively seek it out yourself. Class participation is often a requirement mentioned, but I rarely participated and it didnt seem to affect my final grades. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class, whether regarding the news or what was learned in class.

That we are rich, snooty, coke-snorting assholes. Most people associate NYU with either the artsy students of Tisch or the money grubbers in Stern.

The most popular clubs and organizations at NYU were ones related to rights and volunteering, such as Red Cross or LGBT. I was involved in a volunteer group, NYU's Presidents C-Team. Students involved would volunteer at schools, medical centers, or parks. A lot of people would be in clubs that were related to their major, such as being in a future doctors organization or a business fraternity. Out of all the sports teams at NYU, the basketball team had the biggest turn out at the games. I been to several basketball, volleyball, and one lacrosse game. barely anyone showed up at the lacrosse and volleyball game. The stands would be filled at basketball games, especially during the "Tear it Up" home games. However, it still was not a big percentage of NYU students in attendance. I lived in Weinstein freshman year and everyone on my floor became very close. We left our doors unlocked and we would just hang out in the hallways. It was great especially for freshman year. However, I have some friends that were in other dorms and it was not as social. I met my closest friends through friends and in class. In the middle of the night on a Tuesday, I would probably be out somewhere getting late night snack or starting a paper that was due in the morning. Fraternities and sororities don't lay a huge role in the college life at NYU. There is just so much other things to do. There are a lot of parties going on at NYU but with the city available to us, it was really easy to find something to do on the weekends. Most people like going to bars around campus (west village) or clubs (midtown.) Williamsburg is also a popular destination with upper classmen. I'd say that the NYU social scene revolves around drinking. If I wasn't drinking on a Saturday, then I was probably watching a movie with friends in the dorms or going to the theater. The Violet ball is held every year, so is Senior formal and the school formals. But other than that there aren't a lot of school planned events. Students are very much on their own. The dating scene is non-existent. Some people find a relationship, but a lot of undergraduates at NYU were just looking to have some fun.

New York University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.