New York University Top Questions

Rannie

Students are diverse. Mostly wealthy.

Kirstin

The school prides itself on being a global, diverse university and it definitely succeeds on that front. There are people from lots of different places and backgrounds that attend the school. The majority are definitely a lot more liberal but there are conservative people there as well if that's the way you lean. There's such a wide variety of clubs, you can almost definitely find a group of people to hang out with.

d

sdfgsdfgsdfg

Happy

c

NYU students are diverse in both background and personality, open-minded, adventurous, and a little crazy.

My classmates are incredibly varied: some are book-smart, some are street-smart; many are artistically talented and good with numbers; almost all are pretty opinionated, but all of us are extremely fascinated and curious about different people, cultures, languagues, and the world around us.

Rosie

They're driven, creative, and generally really really nice, but as progressive and forward-thinking as NYU students have a reputation to be, they can be really willfully ignorant about their own privilege.

Annalise

New York University students are concious of who they are and what they want without forgetting where they've come from.

Ingrid

They all want to succeed as much as I do.

Lilianna

Intelligent, liberal, wealthy, up-to-date

Karina

Very independent individuals. NYU students "do their own thing" and are definitely not suited for typical college-quad experiences. They tend to think they're more "grown-up" than they really are since they live in NYC, but nevertheless, living in NYC requires a certain tough mentality on its own.

My classmates are all very dedicated, passionate, and hard working stduents who all believe in creating a better future for themselves and for their families. They also love to have fun, go to parties whenever they can, and just being genuinly nice people.

Vincent

Artistic, creative and engaged but often cynical.

NYU is extremely diverse and the students are extremely accepting of everyone from every walk of life. The students tend to be somewhat artsy and fashion-forward, but people wear everything from sweatpants to heels to class. I would say most students are liberal when it comes to politics.

Eleana

I had an active role as a member of the Iranian Jewish Club. I started my freshman year as a model for one of their fashion shows and continued to grow each year, taking on a new role in the club. My senior year I was appointed President of the club and was able to practice my leadership skills. Students at NYU are from all over the world. You can't go 5 minutes without hearing a different language being spoken. NYU is a great place for anyone who is interested in learning about others. You get a lot of culture at NYU that is not bound to those who live locally.

Jay

sad

Cicek

Unlike a lot of other colleges, Greek Life at NYU is not as prevalent; however, there are sororities and fraternities. Because it's hard to make friends at NYU, a lot of people join Greek Life in order to meet new people and make friends. Athletic events are also basically non-existant at NYU, so there are rarely ever sports-related social events. Because NYU doesn't have a campus, though, students have the opportunity to find entertainment and friends outside of the university as well. Freshmen dorms are lively in the beginning of the year, which is when most people find most of their friends. I'm currently a part of NYU's newspaper, the Washington Square News, and though it is a lot of work, it's a great place to meet people and build your resume.

Leticia

You can literally find any kind of student here at NYU. I have friends from all different backgrounds, and friends from different countries. I know people from Serbia, China, Turkey, and India, just to name a few. Most students are fairly liberal and NYU has a huge LGBT community. Any student is bound to feel welcome here. Some students that may feel out of place are those that come from rural towns, if you can even call them towns, simply because of the large transition they have to make. However, there are so many students that they are bound to find their niche. Students are mostly wealthy since NYU tuition is high and NYU is notorious for horrible financial aid, but there are those lucky that get aid, like me, and I haven't found other students to be particularly snobby or stuck-up. It is more common for students to be friends with other students from their same school because they have more classes together, but this isn't always true. My best friend is in Steinhardt while I'm in Stern, and this isn't an issue.

Leticia

Leticia

Minna

As aforementioned, the students here make up a giant melting pot of cultures, backgrounds, beliefs, personalities, and interests. There is a place for everyone at this school, you just have to seek it out. The students here are all extremely motivated, and appear quite put together, well-versed in popular culture and are generally politically aware. New York City is the hub of social media, and that trend resonates clearly through the students here. Half of the student body knows about a current event before it makes the news because they see it on their twitters and facebook accounts from their smartphones. Students here are also always dressed well in all different styles- it is very unusual when a student shows up to class in sweatpants, and that usually means that student pulled an all nighter in Bobst (our library). Generally speaking, most of the students here are pretty liberal and accepting, as you would have a hard time adjusting to the city culture if you were closed off.

Varun

At NYU, there is a vast variety of students, in looks, personality, ways of thoughts, and general demeanor. There are plenty of LGBT students on campus, along with support groups and positive thoughts on the subject. In terms of looks, most students dress well and trendy. In comparison to high school, there is a much greater variety of people. Many people dress wacky and in interesting ways. Others dress in muted colors and pretty plain. It's cool to view all these different types of students interacting, whether they are from California, New Jersey, or even Iowa. NYU has a lot of geographical and demographical variety. The most prevalent financial background is the upper class as it is these people who mostly can afford and attend NYU. There is a lot of political debate within NYU and we have strong speakers and views on hot topics. Many students are employed by NYU for specific jobs such as working at the gym or even the health center.

Mollie

Most of the students are fairly artistic. The student body is mostly caucasian however there is a large Asian population. There is a fairly large LGBTQ population. There are groups of friends and activities for students everywhere, however the more conservative students definitely could feel out of place here. Most of the students are from middle class backgrounds however there are a lot of students who come from the Upper class.

Like I said before, everyone is from everywhere. I've met people from very different backgrounds: European, Asian, Middle-Eastern, Canadian, gay, straight, bi, wealthy, working class, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, etc. Seriously, I can't tell you how many different people you'll meet. You can't feel out of place, unless you REALLY want a close campus base. Or if you want to live in a rural place... Students wear whatever they want. Really. Catwalk, to sweats. '

There was a recent list in the Daily Beast on the best gay-friendly schools. NYU placed fourth. I completely disagree. NYU should be number one. Located on the edge of the West Village, NYU is in the heart of LGBTQ culture. There is a pretty large gay population at NYU and I have yet to meet a student who is not accepting and friendly. There are also many clubs and unions for anyone who wants to get involved in the LGBTQ community.

NYU has perhaps the most diverse student population out of any school in the U.S. As I stated previously, I have many friends who have traveled halfway around the world (China, Australia, England) for their college education at NYU. I cannot imagine any student feeling out of place at NYU because of the fact that it is so diverse. I have a huge social network filled with different groups of friends, none of which fit into a certain sterotype, which is possibly one of my favorite things at NYU. As I am in greek life, which is gaining more and more popularity each year, I have a number of friends who may look like they fit the typical sorority of fraternity sterotype, but they are also at Stern business school and interning at a top firm, or pre-law, or pre-med at interning at Mount Sinai hospital. I have friends who are in fashion, acting, neuroscience, sports, just about everything that you can think of, who are all involved in greek life at NYU. This is because greek life at NYU is not what it is on other campuses, but rather a way for the students to try to come together and join a community at a school where a community is somewhat lacking. And while I love my fraternity and sorority friends, I also love that you don't feel the pressure to always be with them, I'm not restricted to only greek life. My best group of friends at NYU is a mix of greeks and non-greeks, consisting of 5 girls who are not in greek life (with the exception of myself), 4 boys who are in a fraternity, and 5 boys who aren't. Yet, we all love each other and have the most amazing time together, going to various restaurants and clubs, and just taking advantage of Manhattan. There are so many students who are all so extremely diverse that it's hard to say what a "typical" NYU student would be, because I don't think it exists. There are the artsy students, the finance majors, the actors, the science majors, coming from poor backgrounds, wealthy families, just from every walk of life. And this is what I love about NYU: I always feel as though I fit in no matter where I am or who I'm with, because everyone is unique, which is something that is valued at NYU.

NYU students are extremely open-minded and liberal. There is very little frat culture on campus, so I imagine someone who is looking for that type of college experience would certainly feel as if something is missing. Every class is so diverse ethnically and socially. Most students are pretty fashionable and tend to mirror New York City's overall chic dress. You will see everything though -- some people rolled out of bed and are still in their pajamas, and some people have incredibly unique senses of style. NYU has many internationals students. Most students are rich, since NYU is notorious for not providing very generous financial aid packages. Students don't really talk about how much they'll earn one day.

There is not a cohesive social scene at NYU, and that's one of the things to love about it. I honestly couldn't give you a profile of the average student, because there isn't an average student. Whoever they are, though, you can be assured that they'll be well-dressed.

Katy

My classmates are a lot more wealthy than I am and love living in New York City.

in

not cool

Zeeshan

greated

aa

Cool and outgoing

sa

test

Most of them, pretty pretentious.

The greatest thing about NYU is the diversity. This is a school where you can not feel out of place. There are so many different groups on campus. The LGBT community is prominent. This is a school where LGBTs can feel safe and accepted. This is not a judgmental school. Religious clubs are pretty big here and hold many events. Racial groups are very active at NYU as well. The Hispanic, African American, and Asian communities at NYU are the most notable. It can feel a little cliquey but mostly everyone gets along. Students have a wide variety of interests, tastes, and styles. Some students come to class dressed in pajamas. Others come decked out in ridiculous outfits. Most female students are EXTREMELY fashionable. But we are in NYC after all so what do people expect? Students seem to be wealthy. There are several billionaires and some celebrity students. You can't really afford NYU if you're not wealthy though. Unless you're lower class and you're one of the few that is receiving actual financial aid. Students are intelligent. We are not an ivy league school but we act like it. Everyone is politically aware, and predominantly liberal. This is the one stereotype about NYU that is most definitely true. In a class of 30, maybe 2 students are conservative. But issues are debated in a way where everyone feels respected.

Funky, Intelligent, Eager, Active.

Sasha

My classmates are all very driven. Due to NYU's competitive nature, the students all compete to achieve the highest grade. In high school you can easily stand out; however, in NYU everyone is either smarter than you or just as smart which makes it a lot more difficult to stand out among the other students. However, everyone is very friendly and helpful. I have met my best friends here and what I love about NYU's atmosphere is the diversity it houses. Everyone is so different and has so many different things to offer.

Bright and inquisitive but sometimes apathetic about the school, NYU students work hard to achieve their goals and/or what they feel is expected of them, but make time for socializing and taking advantage of all NYC has to offer.

Lawrence

My Classmates Are Very Different from one another

Ellie

My classmates are so diverse. They come from Florida, Washington, California, Indiana, and almost every other state; not only from America, but they come from China, Russia, South America, and Europe. You can find all types of people at NYU. There are the timid, the outgoing, the studious, the partygoers, as well as the uninviting. Some of my classmates share similar interests as me and there are others who are the complete opposites. The diversity at NYU makes one become more open-mined than ever before. They open your eyes to things you've never seen or heard before.

There is no typical NYU student: you can be in the same class with a business major, an art major, and a linguist, who all share widely different views and come from various backgrounds.

Think about how many different types of people make up the streets of New York and that is exactly what NYU's student body represents.

Students here will challenge your concept of diversity, in a way you may never fully appreciate.

Seeing as NYU is very large, you'll meet a vast range of students with ranging intelligence/academic interest who hail from numerous different places. For the love of God, please don't come here if you're right-leaning. I am admittedly liberal, and I don't see anything wrong with being more politically right, but honestly you will get a lot of shit for it here. This is a very liberal school. Many students are very flashy (see: Daddy's credit card gets them lots of nice things), and dress up for class. Many also wear sweatpants, et. all too. The dining hall is mostly underclassmen who still have the meal plan and who are still in housing. There aren't any certain defined tables, though sometimes it is the case.

For the most part, I feel as though I have a great deal in common with my classmates. I feel as though most of my classmates are dedicated to their studies, and have realistic goals for their lives. As a member of the dance department, I feel as though I can relate to most of the students because we all come from backgrounds that were dance-intensive.

Arielle

My classmates are for the most part bright students and very serious about their work.

There is no tyoical NYU student. Each person who attends the university is as unique as the city in which it is located. New York University calls itself "a school in and of the city", which is clearly represented by it's student body. There students here come from every background possible with only one thing in common, they want to attend NYU. So many students from all over the globe and country come to study here. At NYU you have the bussiness school students who wear suits to class and the artists who major in drama all becoming one.

My classmates are hardworking, goal driven students who want to make a name for themselves in this world and attempt to do that by attending school and participating in the school community and the community of New York City.

My classmates the first semester where generally at least 5 years younger than I am

Excluding Stern, most NYU students are creative and artistic.; they also happen to be rich, hipsters.