New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

NYU has perhaps the most diverse student population out of any school in the U.S. As I stated previously, I have many friends who have traveled halfway around the world (China, Australia, England) for their college education at NYU. I cannot imagine any student feeling out of place at NYU because of the fact that it is so diverse. I have a huge social network filled with different groups of friends, none of which fit into a certain sterotype, which is possibly one of my favorite things at NYU. As I am in greek life, which is gaining more and more popularity each year, I have a number of friends who may look like they fit the typical sorority of fraternity sterotype, but they are also at Stern business school and interning at a top firm, or pre-law, or pre-med at interning at Mount Sinai hospital. I have friends who are in fashion, acting, neuroscience, sports, just about everything that you can think of, who are all involved in greek life at NYU. This is because greek life at NYU is not what it is on other campuses, but rather a way for the students to try to come together and join a community at a school where a community is somewhat lacking. And while I love my fraternity and sorority friends, I also love that you don't feel the pressure to always be with them, I'm not restricted to only greek life. My best group of friends at NYU is a mix of greeks and non-greeks, consisting of 5 girls who are not in greek life (with the exception of myself), 4 boys who are in a fraternity, and 5 boys who aren't. Yet, we all love each other and have the most amazing time together, going to various restaurants and clubs, and just taking advantage of Manhattan. There are so many students who are all so extremely diverse that it's hard to say what a "typical" NYU student would be, because I don't think it exists. There are the artsy students, the finance majors, the actors, the science majors, coming from poor backgrounds, wealthy families, just from every walk of life. And this is what I love about NYU: I always feel as though I fit in no matter where I am or who I'm with, because everyone is unique, which is something that is valued at NYU.

NYU prides itself on its diversity and its acceptance of all groups of people. There is a club for every group possible. NYU is, however predominantly Jewish, but even non-Jewish people don't feel isolated because of that. There is a Kosher dining hall, but it's not something that makes people feel weird about. A non-Catholic Christian would feel out of place at NYU. I am Lutheran and I know about five Lutherans at NYU. However, even being one of these minorities doesn't necessarily make for feeling out of place because there are still clubs for non-Catholic Christians. Students do not tend to wear sweats to class like at other colleges. People do actually dress for class. Business school students usually wear a suit to class. Other students do put a conscious effort into their clothes at NYU, even if it doesn't look like it. All different types of students interact. The four tables of students in the dining hall have every type of student sitting in each chair. There may be a Muslim, a Jewish person, a Spanish person, a rural West Coast American, and a Chinese person all at the same table having a really great conversation. Like I said before, NYU prides itself on diversity because it exists and everyone embraces it and interacts with each other regardless of where someone is from. That's one of NYU's strong points. While NYU is diverse, however, most NYU students do hail from the tri-state area. That is the only generalization that can be made however because everyone else comes from so many different places, it's almost impossible to make any generalizations about it. Every financial background exists. There aren't any that are more prevalent than others. It's pretty equal. Most students are politically active/aware. They are predominantly left or center, but there is an NYU Republicans club, just like there's an NYU Democrats club. Students don't exactly talk about how much they'll earn. They more talk about how in debt they will be. Students in the business school might talk about how much they'll earn, but I don't know because I'm not in the business school.

The greatest thing about NYU is the diversity. This is a school where you can not feel out of place. There are so many different groups on campus. The LGBT community is prominent. This is a school where LGBTs can feel safe and accepted. This is not a judgmental school. Religious clubs are pretty big here and hold many events. Racial groups are very active at NYU as well. The Hispanic, African American, and Asian communities at NYU are the most notable. It can feel a little cliquey but mostly everyone gets along. Students have a wide variety of interests, tastes, and styles. Some students come to class dressed in pajamas. Others come decked out in ridiculous outfits. Most female students are EXTREMELY fashionable. But we are in NYC after all so what do people expect? Students seem to be wealthy. There are several billionaires and some celebrity students. You can't really afford NYU if you're not wealthy though. Unless you're lower class and you're one of the few that is receiving actual financial aid. Students are intelligent. We are not an ivy league school but we act like it. Everyone is politically aware, and predominantly liberal. This is the one stereotype about NYU that is most definitely true. In a class of 30, maybe 2 students are conservative. But issues are debated in a way where everyone feels respected.

It's such a melting pot. I love that everyone is from everywhere. Freshman year, my neighbors were two Lebanese twins from Jersey. Sophomore year, they were two girls from Holland and Switzerland. And they were all hot. Doesn't get much better than that. In terms of classroom wardrobe, there is quite a divide. There are the girls that dress to the nines, makeup, heels, Gucci purses, Coach sunglasses. Then there are the dudes with the sweatpants, beanies, scruffy beards and slippers. I prefer comfort over appearance. If there were four tables in the dining hall, one would be a group of goofy liberal arts kids, one would be packed with white frat kids in polos, jeans and sneakers, chattin obnoxiously about some "broads" or sorostitutes. One would definitely be filled with vivacious indian kids, with the token white or asian kids, of course. Finally, the last one would have some artistic, musical kids wearing band t-shirts, tight jeans, rockin' crazy hair and Converses Most NYU kids are from LI, North Jersey and California...and at least one-third of kids have some serious wealth (at least their families do). Most kids are left-leaning or full-blown liberalites, though there are some lurking moderates and even conservatives, though they don't speak out for fear of being ridiculed/stoned.

You can literally find any kind of student here at NYU. I have friends from all different backgrounds, and friends from different countries. I know people from Serbia, China, Turkey, and India, just to name a few. Most students are fairly liberal and NYU has a huge LGBT community. Any student is bound to feel welcome here. Some students that may feel out of place are those that come from rural towns, if you can even call them towns, simply because of the large transition they have to make. However, there are so many students that they are bound to find their niche. Students are mostly wealthy since NYU tuition is high and NYU is notorious for horrible financial aid, but there are those lucky that get aid, like me, and I haven't found other students to be particularly snobby or stuck-up. It is more common for students to be friends with other students from their same school because they have more classes together, but this isn't always true. My best friend is in Steinhardt while I'm in Stern, and this isn't an issue.

NYU's student body is very homogenous. You can categorize most of the student body by these few labels: J.A.P. (Jewish American Princess), theater student, hipster kid, grumpy Stern kid and dodgeball target. That's probably the funniest thing about NYU's core demographics. There are plenty of hot girls here...but the guys just are lacking in most departments. Being a guy, it sometimes makes me feel sort of bad for myself because I'm being lumped into the same category as some of these kids. Students are politically active in the sense that if someone were to say something a little politically incorrect, they make a huge fuss over it. You sometimes wonder whether they truly have political stances or whether they have just sort of accepted the liberal bias cookie-cutter that they obviously are. As someone who is independent, I tend to agree with the conservatives on campus (the few there are) over the liberal students because the liberal students are way too sensitive and will make a fuss about anything you object to.

At NYU, there is a vast variety of students, in looks, personality, ways of thoughts, and general demeanor. There are plenty of LGBT students on campus, along with support groups and positive thoughts on the subject. In terms of looks, most students dress well and trendy. In comparison to high school, there is a much greater variety of people. Many people dress wacky and in interesting ways. Others dress in muted colors and pretty plain. It's cool to view all these different types of students interacting, whether they are from California, New Jersey, or even Iowa. NYU has a lot of geographical and demographical variety. The most prevalent financial background is the upper class as it is these people who mostly can afford and attend NYU. There is a lot of political debate within NYU and we have strong speakers and views on hot topics. Many students are employed by NYU for specific jobs such as working at the gym or even the health center.

There is a lot of diversity here, especially LGBT stuff, but I don't really have any experiences per se. I could see a jock feeling out of place here (but I know a few who like it) and a Republican (but there are the exceptions). Students wear what everyone else in the world wears. No one really interacts unless it's in a small class. There are not tables in the dining hall like in Mean Girls - it is very mixed - I feel like everyone who eats at the dining halls are in a rush to eat a quick meal and get somewhere else. Most NYU students are from the tri-state area, California, and Texas. I think most people here are pretty rich. Students are politically aware, but not really active, although everyone went to see Barack Obama when he came here. We are predominantly liberal. Stern people talk about how much they'll earn.

Seeing as NYU is very large, you'll meet a vast range of students with ranging intelligence/academic interest who hail from numerous different places. For the love of God, please don't come here if you're right-leaning. I am admittedly liberal, and I don't see anything wrong with being more politically right, but honestly you will get a lot of shit for it here. This is a very liberal school. Many students are very flashy (see: Daddy's credit card gets them lots of nice things), and dress up for class. Many also wear sweatpants, et. all too. The dining hall is mostly underclassmen who still have the meal plan and who are still in housing. There aren't any certain defined tables, though sometimes it is the case.

NYU students are extremely open-minded and liberal. There is very little frat culture on campus, so I imagine someone who is looking for that type of college experience would certainly feel as if something is missing. Every class is so diverse ethnically and socially. Most students are pretty fashionable and tend to mirror New York City's overall chic dress. You will see everything though -- some people rolled out of bed and are still in their pajamas, and some people have incredibly unique senses of style. NYU has many internationals students. Most students are rich, since NYU is notorious for not providing very generous financial aid packages. Students don't really talk about how much they'll earn one day.