New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

Everyone at NYU is very open to everything. A heterosexual, homophobic white southern/midwestern male who lives for sports would feel out of place. Students wear just about anything, but mostly indie/artsy clothing. Different types of students rarely interact. The indie kids, the asian crowd, the brown crowd, and the unclassified students sit at the dining hall. NYU students are from the tri-state area and california. Most NYU students are uppermiddle class stuents. Students can be politically aware, but many are not. Most students are left. Students do not talk about earning, other than if they are in the Stern school

I've met gay, straight, undecided, transgender, bisexual, black, white, Hispanic, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, filthy rich, and dirt poor kids during my first semester at NYU. I don't think anyone would feel out of place here. Some kids wear pajama pants to class, others wear Prada boots; it's impossible to throw a blanket statement over everyone. I've met so many NYU kids from New Jersey and most people that I know come from a lower/middle class family. Students are definitely politically active, and I'd say lean towards the left; I'd guess that most people support Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate for president.

Most students here are from New York, New Jersey, California and Massachusetts. There is diversity of all kinds here - ethnically, religiously, stylistically, etc. I've met just as many Conservatives as I have Liberals, just as many punk kids as I have preppy kids, and just as many who hope to make millions on Wall Street as I have who couldn't care less and would be perfectly complacent with living in a shack on the beach. If there seems to be a popular theme here among the student body, however, it is definitely that there are no shortage of students of identify with the LGBT community.

One thing I should have expected but didn’t was how much money most of my peers seem to have. I come from a relatively poor background, and while my parents were moving me into the dorms with my belongings in boxes we’d collected from the local grocer, my fellow students were moving in with designer bags. I’ve acclimated, but I still sometimes feel like I can’t relate to some of my peers because I have bills and am taking out so many student loans. I have friends here who have literally never worked in their lives, while I’m holding down three jobs this semester just to make ends meet.

I've had good experiences with different racial, religious etc groups of people. The only thing is that people generally segregate themselves according to those automatically. I wanted to come to NYU so I could meet a lot of different groups of people... and yet I've fallen into a group of similar socio-economic, racial, and religious background as me. Most students wear jeans or casual clothes to class, unless they have an interview or are goign to work afterwards. Or unless if they're in stern. Most NYU students are from the tri-state area.

There are billions of LGBT groups, theatre and music groups, a few greek organizations, and very little else. A student who is very shy or conservative would feel out of place. Most students wear trendy east village hipster stuff to class. Most students are either from the Tri state area or California, with some exceptions. Most are upper middle class/upper class, again with exceptions. Students are politically aware. They are pretty much all liberal. Stern students are the only ones I hear talking about their future salaries.

NYU is so diverse! I have heard languages and seen people from all corners of the world. Some people have alot of money, some are barely scraping by on scholarships. Sternies often talk about how much money they are going to make on day. Stern is a school for people who love money and want to make a lot of it through Wall Street activities. NYU is also very good with clubs. If you have an idea for a club and go to the Student Life Office, they will give you a decent budget to get it started.

I've found that most students are from New Jersey, Long Island, or Westchester, which actually shocked me because I figured a school in the city would have a much more diverse student body. While I do have friends from New Delhi and Singapore, most are from my home state of Jersey. It's actually really nice, though, because every one is pretty close-by during breaks. My best friend here lives only 30 minutes from my home, so I get to see her all the time.

The great thing about NYU is that it's so diverse that you can make up your own group and be accepted for it. However, there's always the mainstream trend that would be called "normal" I suppose. We never wear pajamas to class but usually tend to dress up more than other students at different colleges tend to. Generally, the NYU population is extremely liberal.

There are two kinds of students at NYU. The first kind are really smart kids who never bothered to study much in high school and didn't make excellent grades. The other kind are not particularly bright but very hardworking. They're the kind of people who eagerly answer rhetorical questions in class, hoping to impress.