New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

So, so, so varied. It depends on your major. Some classmates fit into the stereotype of what you expect a particular major's students to be, others totally break the mold. If anything, most everyone seems like they have a purpose. Even if a particular classmate is not sure what they want to do (and there are many) they still have a clear purpose to discover what they want to do, and learn as much as they can on the way to doing so.

Most of the students are fairly artistic. The student body is mostly caucasian however there is a large Asian population. There is a fairly large LGBTQ population. There are groups of friends and activities for students everywhere, however the more conservative students definitely could feel out of place here. Most of the students are from middle class backgrounds however there are a lot of students who come from the Upper class.

The school prides itself on being a global, diverse university and it definitely succeeds on that front. There are people from lots of different places and backgrounds that attend the school. The majority are definitely a lot more liberal but there are conservative people there as well if that's the way you lean. There's such a wide variety of clubs, you can almost definitely find a group of people to hang out with.

Everyone can find a place at NYU. Literally. Unless you're wearing sweatpants (and havent just come from the gym). Our dining halls were quite good, but I rarely went. When you're in a city where the food is so good, why would you go to a dining hall?! Sometimes I did feel as though many NYU students were from affluent backgrounds, but money was rarely discussed.

I have found that students here tend to dress up for class more often than students did when I was in high school in CA. All different types of students interact, but sometimes there's a definite separation of races/religious groups. Most students are politically aware. Maybe business students talk about how much they'll earn one day....i really don't know or care.

NYU is actually less diverse than people think, mostly economically, because NYU isn't great at giving financial aid, and still SO many people go - people are generally upper-middle-class or waaaay above. That is boring to me. But LGBT is frequent,and religions are diverse. If there were 4 tables, they would mostly just be divided up by NYU schools.

For the most part, I feel as though I have a great deal in common with my classmates. I feel as though most of my classmates are dedicated to their studies, and have realistic goals for their lives. As a member of the dance department, I feel as though I can relate to most of the students because we all come from backgrounds that were dance-intensive.

My classmates are a diverse group from all over the world and from all walks of life, they are interested in business, the arts, humanities, social sciences, physical sciences, medical professions, and are very individualistic and focused on their future - even if some of them don't know what that looks like yet.

Black students can feel very out of place here, because there are only a few, and if you don't get along with those few or have anything in common with them it can be tough. I think maybe if there were more black students the few that are here wouldn't have to separate themselves off and be so cliquish.

I feel like the student body has a good mix. It may take you a while, but i feel like anyone could find their niche at this school. There are definitely divisions in personality types between the different schools, but i've had a lot of friendships with people in very different areas of study than me.