New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

The most popular organizations on campus are the Milk and Cookies Club, NYU Democrats, and a couple Jewish organizations. I'm involved in Model UN, which is very popular when the school year starts, but then people begin to stop coming because there are only 2 conferences a year. I'm also part of residence hall government, which is popular depending on the residence hall. It's also very rewarding because you get to decide what programs happen and you get to know all the details and get first dibs. Students don't usually leave their doors open in dorms. Some dorms don't let you open your door because of fire safety. Others don't stay open very well. Athletic events are unpopular. However, people still go because they are always sending emails advertising free food, t-shirts, and other goodies in order to intice people to come. Guest speakers and theater are very popular. NYU offers discounts on Broadway shows, off-Broadway shows and other events in the city. It's definitely one of the best perks it offers. NYU has a very dominating gay/lesbian scene. However, while there isn't a lot of dating going on within the school, people go out to clubs and parties to meet people and that's usually where dating starts for NYU students. I met my closest friends on my floor in my dorm. I also met some in my classes as well as when I studied abroad in London. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm probably reading because I'm unable to sleep. The traditions that happen every year are StrawberryFest in the spring, the dance on the boat that goes around Manhattan in the spring, graduation in Washington Square Park in the spring, Halloween parade, Chinese New Year in Chinatown. People party every weekend starting on Thursday because students don't usually have class on Fridays. Fraternities and sororities are not that important. There aren't even that many. I went to a Broadway show and studied last weekend. I also did a little shopping. You can go to a show, a play, a comedy club, the ballet, a restaurant, the Empire State building, shopping (stores are open very late in New York). I do all the things I just listed off campus because there isn't really an off and on campus. There's just New York City.

Because NYU is so big and diverse, I don't think there are the "most popular" groups or clubs on campus. There are a myriad of different clubs and interests that all different types of students join. One of the larger groups on campus is greek life, and while greek life seems to be getting more popular each year, it still remains a very small percentage of the student body at NYU. One of the great htings about NYU students however, is that no matter which club or organization they are part of, NYU students are extremely active. They are the type of students who truly fight for what they believe in, and I love that they are such activists. My roomate and I actually met because we were both part of a club that went around delivering food to and volunteering at various soup kitchens throughout NYC. At NYU, there are so many ways to meet people, and that's true of the dating scene as well. There is so much to do at NYU that you are constantly meeting new people all the time. Whether it's through clubs, classes, or going out into the nightlife of NYC, I can confidently say that I meet at least 4 or 5 new people every single week/weekend, whether they are romantic interests or just new acquaintances. NYU is extremely social, and there are always events going on or things to do. On weekends, students either hang out their friend's dorms or apartments, go out to restaurants in the city, talk a walk through the west village or up by Central Park, or go out to the many clubs and bars in the surrounding area. Last weekend I went to an apartment warming party and out dancing with my friends on Thursday, a concert at Madison Square Garden on Friday, an art fundraiser at the Tribeca Grand Hotel on Saturday, and then to a sports bar on Sunday to watch football. When basketball season starts, my friends and I always go to Knicks games, and we also take advantage of the art exhibits at the museums throughout the city (my favorite being the impressionist exhibit at the Met). There is literally never a night where you are bored because there is nothing to do. That's what I love about NYU, you have New York City at your disposal!

Throughout my three years attending NYU, I have been a part of many social and cultural groups on campus such as KCCC (a Christian campus ministry), Korean Student Association, F4NK (Freedom 4 North Korea), ACU (Asian Cultural Union), and Pre-dental Outreach. There are so many clubs at NYU and many freshmans can come explore these options and see whats available by going to the Club Fest held the first week of classes each semester. Depending on which dorm you live in, it can be social or not. Some dorms have an open door policy not by regulations but because residents living there want to while others are completely closed all the time, leaving no room to ever get to know your neighbor or floormates. My freshman year at NYU, I lived in rubin where everyone was always leaving their doors open and as a floor we got to know everyone. We even did activities as a floor together and it was such a fun experience. If you didn't already know, there are a lot of gays here but I believe the majority is still straight. But in terms of dating, I only know a couple of people who "date" as in a relationship, while most remain single and play the field. But if you want to date I mean its really no different than any other place, only in the sense that you have more places to actually go on dates, but it's certainly not the only thing to do. I also find that most people enjoy being single here because everyone is majority very independent. If you don't find a boyfriend or girlfriend at NYU, you don't have to worry because we basically have the entire city to look for me. We're not limited to just finding one at NYU and I can completely agree with it! :) I met a lot of my closest friends from classes, library (yes, it happens a lot!) and school clubs. People here party mostly on the weekend: Thursdays, Fridays and/or Saturdays. Our school is not so big on frats and sororities but after your freshman year where you've experienced frat parties, you tend to go to clubs in the city where its "age appropriate".

Most popular clubs are probably career-focused. I belonged to the Ski/Snowboard club, which runs some pretty cool subsidized trips. The Washington Square News runs a pretty tight ship and the staff is pretty friendly and fun to work with. As far as athletics...i think we are awesome at fencing? Frat life is lame at NYU. As are the majority of people in them. They are organized groups that you can roll with wherever you want to give you a false sense of family. Who needs 25 more brothers or sisters? Their called friends, people. Get them on your own. The dating scene....ah. Evolves drastically from freshman to senior year. What starts as sneaking into each others dorms to drink cheap wine and forties eventually empties your already shallow pockets as you scrounge for quarters between the couch cushions to bankroll a $30 bar tab. But man, the ratio is TOTALLY in our (guys) favor. I'd put it at 55%/45? girls to guys, with 30% of guys being gay, automatically shifting the scales to 65%/35%. 2 to 1? I'll take it. Saturday nights without drinking? We're in New York City. Endless opportunities to keep busy. Depending on the weather, the park scene is rockin from the east to the west side. Museums, from the MoMa to the Whitney to Madame Tussaud's, are always a good call. Plus, NYU's discount helps quite a bit. There are poetry clubs and comedy shows, sports games and street performances...like i said, endless possibilities...but some don't come cheap.

While NYU doesn't have a campus or any student pride, there are plenty of groups and clubs to join. I'm involved with the Off-Campus Student Council, which plans events for commuters, cooperate with the administration to help life become easier for the off-campus student and help out new commuters and which routes to take to school. It's probably the only place where I have friends, to be honest. The athletics here are unpopular. The attendance record is so pathetic that NYU gives out free food for anyone who comes to cheer on the team...but even then do we get so few attendees. To be fair, NYU has a great athletics program and are very strong in basketball and soccer. I guess because it's a Division III program that sort of turns off the student body. The parties at NYU are a little more intense than the normal college party. While there is alcohol, don't be surprised to hear of someone doing coke in the hallway. Considering the frat and sorority life is non-existant, you basically hear about parties from a friend. I get a little worried if I'm going to an NYU party, basically because someone is bound to do something so retarded that we get kicked out. If only the party scene was a little less intense would it seem fine, but it's very scary to party out in New York at 2 a.m. You never know who is out there and what will happen.

The most popular group, I think, is the Korean singing group or whatever it is. They are very loud. I am involved with Circle K - we do community service. Students in dorms do not leave their doors open. Athletic events are not popular at all unless we are playing Columbia. I don't know about guest speakers. And theater is sort of popular. I don't know anything about the dating scene because I have a boyfriend from home. However so many of the guys here are gay that I can't imagine it's too great for the ladies. I met my closest friends through Circle K and dancing. If I'm up at 2am on Tuesday (almost like now) I am probably doing homework or talking to people on facebook. Traditions/events: the health fair and strawberry fest. People don't really party as much as just go to bars and clubs and stuff, and that's a lot. Frats aren't really a big thing here - I think 5% of our population is involved. Last weekend I went rock climbing in Central Park, went dancing with some friends, did homework, wrote emails, went to see my boyfriend in the Bronx, worked at the dance studio where I work, and went out for drinks on Sunday night. There are a lot of things to do without drinking: Circle K events, Broadway shows, museums, movies, homework, clubs, anything. Off campus: I babysit, I work at a dance studio, and I tutor.

Some people really enjoy intramural sports, some people are involved in Greek life, but a small minority, there is a very active student life center where there are many options for clubs. I was involved in the organization Health Leads where I volunteered at Bellevue Hospital connecting patients to New York public services such as Food Stamps and public housing. Students in dorms sometimes keep their doors open -- some dorms are better known for being more social dorms and some are better known for being a little bit more closed off. For example, Hayden, a freshman dorm, is known for being very social, whereas 3rd North, because it is apartment style where everyone has a kitchen and living room and many poeple share, is a bit more isolated. Athletic events are not very popular on campus. There are many reknowned guest speakers who visit NYU -- I have attended many talks and concerts over the years. I met my closest friends through my dorm. The dating scene can be hard because when you go out at night you are not guaranteed to see any other NYU students. But you have all of New York at your disposal. One year tradition is strawberry fest, where they set up a huge strawberry shortcake on one of the main streets of the campus and have all sorts of activities and food.

Students in dorms left their doors open in the freshman dorms. In the upperclass dorms, most rooms were apartment style, and thus kept private. I only lived in a dorm my freshman year (NYU is short on housing, and many students move to apartments). I didnt really date in school, but most of the people I did date, were older, and not NYU graduates. I was ALWAYS awake at 2am on a Tuesday, usually studying. Most people up at 2am on a Tuesday were either at their place, or the library, studying, or drunk. What cant you do on a saturday night that doesnt involve drinking?! Bowling, ping-pong, movies, billiards, concerts, theatre, opera, ballet, jazz bars, ice skating, gallery openings, parties, dinner, clubs! (You can always go to a bar and hang with your friend without drinking.). No matter what you do or where you go at NYU will you feel pressure to drink or do drugs. People dont sit around in dorm rooms drinking, because there is so much else to do outside! Fraternities and Sororities make up less than 10% of the student body. If you're looking for that experience, its available to you, but it is so minimal. In all my years at NYU i've only met two people who were in Greek Life.

There are plenty of extracurriculars at NYU and getting involved in them is a great way to get involved with the NYU community. Athletics are not really our thing. No one goes to see a basketball game or a soccer match. We hardly even hear about it. We do not have a football team. We just don't care. We do have two great acccessible gyms though with pretty good equipment. NYU students are mostly in shape. I wouldn't say it is a party school. People go out and do their own thing. Who wants to have a dorm party when you can go to one of the greatest clubs in the world? Especially when that club is only a few minutes away from your dorm. When NYU students are in their dorms, they're usually breaking the rules (there is a high rate of marijuana usage) but this is kept in control and dealt with strictly. Residence staffs do not tolerate these situations at all. There are a lot of discount tickets available to sports games, movies, Broadway shows, museums, etc. There is always something to do or something to see. We have our own events of course in our state of the art theaters. There aren't too many frats and sororities but they are very active.

1. Dorms: I've met some of my closest friends through dorming. I think this was the best way to meet people. I mean, what better way to meet people than where you live? It provided a set social scene that was always available to you, since you're already in it. 2. Clubs: Religious, LGBT, sports, food, Greeks... I'm in a Christian fellowship, a co-ed fraternity, and I've been part of other clubs over the years. They provide good communities to make friends with. You've already found one big thing in common, if you're in the same club, after all. 3. Dating: Hm... you'll definitely meet tons of people, but I'd say the dating scene can be a challenge in the city. A social life in the city and at NYU is however YOU make it. Since you're in a school that's in a city, with no real campus, you must be active in order to have a social life. You must be pro-active. Otherwise, the city can be a really lonely place. Otherwise, the opportunities are endless.