New York University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Kirstin

Rich white liberal artsy kids. This can be accurate depending on what group you're hanging out with but there is a lot of diversity in background and interests at the school, in part because it's such a large school so I don't think it's 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} accurate if you chose to hang out with the right people.

The stereotype of students at NYU is that they are all hipsters. There definitely are some people at NYU that are complete hipsters, wearing purple pants, socks with cat designs that go over their pants, a vest and a baret. They wear this crazy outfit as they smoke a cigarette outside of Tisch. However, there are THOUSANDS of people at NYU who are not like this. There's plenty of diversity. Everyone has their own style. Tons of people from California and the tri-state area.

bill

xx

Luis

It's very hard for me to stereotype the entire school since we are a very tight-knit group at ITP-Tisch, therefore I know very little outside of Tisch. Tisch however, is a complete hipster factory.

Eleana

There are many stereotypes at NYU as there are at most universities. The difference with NYU is that there is no official campus as there is for instance in Binghampton or BU. That being said, having all of New York City as your "campus" makes it hard for any stereotype to be accurate since you are living among New Yorkers, tourists and so on. The only stereotype that I can say is somewhat true is that the female to male ratio is not in proportion and that there are definitely a lot more females than males at NYU. There is also a large homosexual community at NYU which I would say is common among most city schools.

Eleana

The stereotype NYU student is 1) Very intense, both at work and at play 2) Not too worried about money 3) Has high career aspirations

Jay

test

Isabella

Because NYU is so large and diverse, there are many many stereotypes, especially within each individual school. For example, Sternies are robots, Gallatin kids are lazy, Tisch kids are theatre geeks, and LSP kids didn't even really get into NYU. All that aside, I think that the major stereotype that NYU students get from people outside of our greenwich village bubble is that we're all hipsters. To some extent, this is true. I'm not saying that we all wear skinny jeans, army jackets, beanies, and desert boots (and we definitely shower more than once a week!). However, at NYU you do learn to appreciate subcultures a lot more than you probably did in high school. You get to be exposed to new opinions, ideas, music scenes, and food. In that sense we are hipsters... and we may or may not all have a chip on our shoulders!

Serena

Lots of hipsters. So many hipsters.

Leticia

At NYU, each school has their own stereotypes. Sternies, the business school kids, are cold, heartless, competitive, and they only care about money. Tischies, art school kids, are...well...artsy and a bunch of hipsters. LSP kids aren't very bright. Gallatin kids don't know what they want they want in life. NYU students overall are stereotypically rich and went to a private school their entire lives, hipsters, and liberal. There is some basis to these stereotypes as NYU tuition is very high so wealthy students are more able to attend. NYC is a very liberal city. Most Stern students are trying to get to Wall Street. However, there are many that don't fit this mold also. I, for one, am a Sternie but I do NOT want to work on Wall Street, I went to public school my entire life, and I like to believe I have a heart.

Sally

The stereotype for NYU is that everyone is a "hipster". Though there are definitely a handful or pretentious students who think they are above everyone else, there are many students who span across the social spectrum.

aa

aa

Minna

Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe that there is a specific stereotype of students at NYU. In the past, I feel that it has been viewed as 'hipster/artsy,' but I've truly met students of every possible background and of different interests- it's truly a melting pot.

Varun

There are a few stereotypes associated with NYU. First off, there are hipsters, who we indeed have plenty of. Along with hipsters, there is the entirety of the Tisch School of Arts (actors, musicians, and filmmakers). Sometimes other people's personalities clash with people from Tisch. Another school is the Stern school of business which carries a stereotype of hard working Asians who come off as "nerds" to the others on campus. The Asian stereotype at NYU is strong with many people seeing Indians and Asians as "cliquey." Many of these stereotypes do hold some truth but you can't and shouldn't generalize these things as many people are trying to break these stereotypes associated with them.

Jay

test

Mollie

The stereotype of students at my school is very artsy and "hipster". The stereotype is that everyone is very liberal and has put themselves out there in terms of the activities they choose to do, people they hang out with and their clothes

NYU is extremely diverse. Students come from all over the country and world. So, with that alone, people are all different based upon their home-state. I would say that there are some Frat guys from time to time, not very many. I think the biggest thing here is what school you go to -- CAS, Stern, Steinhardt, Gallatin, Tisch, etc. We probably have EVERY type of stereotype that you can think of...

If there is one "type" that dominates NYU it is the hipster. Located in the middle of Greenwich Village, NYU is a few steps away from the East Village and the Lower East Side, and a few subways stops away from Williamsburg. Many students reside in these areas after their first year, or two, in on-campus housing. Rents are cheaper, bars are closer and NYU students tend to adapt to the hipster style. That being said, you'll find many types of people at NYU. It's such a large, diverse university that you likely find whatever type of group you are looking for, whether its the jocks, the frats, the fashionistas or the kids that basically live in the library.

NYU has perhaps the most diverse student population out of all of the colleges in the U.S. As an NYU student, I feel that I am one of the few out of my friends who can say that many of my friends have traveled from around the world, literally, for their education at NYU. In my opinion, this diversity is what makes NYU's social life so much more interesting and fulfilling than at any other school. I have all different types of friends, none of them fitting into any particular stereotype. Furthermore, because NYU's student body is so large and dispersed throughout the city, I have a myriad of different groups of friends here, that I run into all the time, even if I'm 60 blocks north of campus. As an active member of Greek life, I feel that I also am part of what the "typical" college experience is portrayed as. While Greek life is by comparison extremely small at NYU, it is actively growing larger every year. The great thing about Greek life at NYU is that the members are not the "typical" sorority and fraternity members, but rather encompasses a collection of people just looking for a sense of community in the world's greatest city. I love that I have greek life to turn to when I want to experience "college", but then I have other groups of friends at NYU also, so I am not just limited to greek life. Overall, I think I have the best of both worlds: a sense of a college community in New York City. What more could a girl ask for? :)

If you're looking for hipsters, NYU is definitely where you'll find them.

The stereotype of NYU students varies depending on what school you are in. If you are a "Tischy," you are artsy, theatrical, and a little crazy. If you are a "Sterny," which means you go to the business school, you are high-strung, assumed to be wearing a suit, and only care about making money. The overarching stereotype of an NYU student tends to be someone who is independent, self-sufficient, enjoys the city, is "hip" and unique.

in

THey are greedy

bill

asdasd

aa

They are all greedy