New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

The best thing about NYU is living in NYC. Even though we don't have a "campus" exactly, I wish that there was more of a community in the residence halls and stuff. Sometimes I feel like you have to try so hard to meet people and make friends and I can see why some people wouldn't like it, especially if they are shy. I guess, since I consider NYC my real campus, I spend most of my time traveling around from thing to thing. I babysit way up town, I have to go to club meetings in Queens and Brooklyn, and then I give tours all around Washington Sq Park. But I do spend a lot of time in Starbucks!

NYU is a really great school if you want to be exposed to some outrageously smart professors, grad students, and peers. It is also an amazing hub of cultural resources in the city. NYU community is very savvy and sensitive to the zeitgeist, so it's a great place for someone who wants to stay on the cutting edge. It's very progressive and forward thinking, and provides an environment that encourages you to push boundaries. If these sound like things you want to do, then you'll love NYU. If, on the other hand, you prefer the path more frequently taken, then you might be more comfortable elsewhere.

Overall I love NYU. Yes, I have big complaints about the bureaucracy, the tuition, the lack of community, but overall this school will give you all kinds of opportunities. They have a GREAT study abroad program, I don't know anyone who doesn't have an abroad experience (I myself spent a year in Florence) or isn't planning to go. And, really, this school just puts you right down in the middle of the city and said "GO!" It's not tame or easy or comforting but you're right where the action is. And it's really fun.

I like the school size. It's all over the place in the east and west village. I wouldn't call it a college town for sure....the campus is the city, though the concentration around Wash Square Park gives you a false sense of community. In terms of school pride, I never really noticed much of any until I went to a guys basketball game. Not sure if they were screaming because they even know what the rules of the game were and who was winning, or if they were drunk and just passing the time.

NYU is great because the campus is so integrated into Manhattan. It's as if you're going to school in New York, not specifically a university. If I could change one thing though, it would certainly be to make the school cheaper, I'm going broke paying for college. It's exciting that next year a brand new dorm will be open on 23rd and 3rd and I had the good fortune to get a room on one of the higher floors. I'm pretty excited for the view. And a kitchen. Very excited for the kitchen.

NYU is a school that offers many opportunities to its students however it is not an easy school to navigate. It is quite large and impersonal and you truly have to advocate for yourself. If you are not vocal about what you want then you will not get it. Once you find your niche you will be happy here. Despite the fact that it is in a city, there are a lot of campus-like aspects to this school. It is a very expensive place to live and go to school.

The best thing is the amount of money it has so that most things here are really high quality, there are a ton of resources available, and we can hire good quality professors that have been out actually doing the things they're teaching us. If I could change something, I would close the 26th Street dorm. People in my hometown get really impressed when I say I go to NYU. They're usually taken aback.

There is no school spirit at NYU. There is no sense of community. It is incredibly easy to become detached from NYU, since no effort is made to integrate students into the City. Overall, it's a depressing place with no campus where students can only feel alone despite the thousands of people surrounding them.

NYU is perfect if you love excitement, new things, and the city. You meet new people everyday. There are tons of good food places and music scenes. We're not that into sports, hence no football team.

I like dis school, parties all day an drinking for da nite. heyyyy das how it go doe. let me just say I love skippin class an secrurity layed back doe it's good an im here for da ride