New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

New York University is located in the heart of Manhattan, New York. If one does not bode well in a busy city, one should not attend the school. New York University is a "dynamic urban global research university whose students, faculty, and graduates generate new understandings and innovation for vital and sustainable communities within a complex interdependent world." It takes an adventurous soul to come to New York City and to be emerged in unique cultures both insiide and outside of the classroom. I also think the person should have thick skin to endure city life. No scaredy cats allowed.

Someone who is looking for a typical college experience, with a sprawling closed off campus should not attend. NYU does not offer that, nor does it offer a big emphasis on Greek life or sports teams. Also, unless you are interested in a specific major or career NYU is noted for (the arts, buisness...) you should not attend if you are worried about paying for college. NYU is very expensive and there are many other universities in NYC one can attend. Unfortuanatly, NYU does not offer much financial aid and this worries many students as they advance towards graduation.

People who are less socially outgoing, less flexible and willing to grasp opportunity should not attend NYU. Being in the middle of the city itself is a large part of the learning atmosphere; the curriculum requires that you push yourself to explore social boundaries and discover more about the part of the world you are living in. It is necessary to accomplish these things that a person be willing to step outside of his/her comfort zone and make efforts to meet new people, develop connections with city members and be open to absorbing everything the city has to offer.

Someone unwilling to be self-reliant shouldn't consider NYU, as it is a large school in the most populous city in the country. In my experience, students here make their own opportunities by looking outside the classroom for jobs and internships in their desired fields. They also generally know themselves well enough to realize what kinds of classes - discussion or lecture, big or small - they prefer. They are aggressive in trying to get into a desired course, even if it is full. Anyone unable to take their education into their own hands would not succeed here at NYU.

No one should go to NYU who isn't willing to accept other cultures, races, or different ethnic backgrounds. New York City is in one of the most liberal and unique ciites on the planet and NYU incorporates this atmosphere into the University itself. The University prides itself in its ability to attract people from all over the globe. There are students from almost every country around the world, all with different ideas, cultures, and characteristics. If someone isn't willing to live, and learn, from these different people, they should not attend NYU.

Prior to my arrival, I was told that it was easy to feel isolated at NYU - reasons being from the sweeping expanse of New York City as your campus to the fact that there is no such thing as football and tailgates; that it was necessary to put yourself out there and actively seek friendships. I transitioned easily, but NYU is usually not for those who find that fact daunting, wish to have a traditional college experience, or do not like the city/lack of campus (really, people who dislike the city still come here and then dislike the experience).

The kind of person that should not consider attending NYU is one that does not take school seriously. NYU is a fabulous school and an amazing opportunity for serious students who want education and to create a career. Having students there that do not take education as seriously as others is an offense to every other student that works extremely hard for years to get where they are in present time. I find it highly annoying when I am surrounded by people who could care less that they have been accepted into one of the world's best colleges.

Those students looking for a college with a campus or renowned athletics program probably shouldn't attend NYU. Because of our location in the middle of Manhattan, NYU does not have a closed college campus, meaning that NYU buildings are next to restaurants and businesses, and not necessarily close to each other. Also because of our location we do not have any major athletic fields so school sports are limited - we do not have a football team! If athletics or a traditional-style campus matter, then NYU probably isn't for you.

Students that lack independence should either learn to be more independent or look at different schools. N.Y.U. is a school that requires students to be very independent and self-efficient. N.Y.U. is also not a traditional college; it's very much integrated with the city. So students looking for the traditional on-campus college experience would not fair well here. One of my friends actually transferred this semester due to the lack of "traditionalism" on campus. But if you love the city, then N.Y.U. is definitely for you.

If you're not ready to be wrong, to make a mistake, or to be challenged to rethink your college ideal, don't bother going to NYU. I thought I wouldn't mind a non traditional campus, a huge student body, and the bustling city, but I was wrong. NYU has proven brochures and tours don't show you everything. Some students can't handle the idea that they've picked the wrong school, but it does happen, and your readiness to accept this and make the best of it could determine how awesome or dreadful freshman year will be.