New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

A frustrating thing about New York University is the cost to attend. I understand that I am receiving one of the best educations through this renowned school, however I find the pricing to be an extreme drawback. I wish that college educations were available for anyone who was qualified, however the price tag for education continues to rise. It does not seem right, that those that are not wealthy, however qualified they might be, can not attend this college. It is frustrating to know that people who are qualified are being shut out merely because of a dollar amount.

The most frustrating thing is definitely competing with other students for the courses you want to enroll in during registration time, register early! It is important especially if you want to take certain electives or are interested in a specific professor's course. Have back-up classes to choose from for the same time slots so that you can manage your schedule and your time and still have the classes you would like to take. Being waitlisted doesn't always guarantee you a seat so you need to have other courses as your "safety" courses just in case. Good luck.

In all honesty, NYU offers so much to their students (in addition to the city itself) that it makes it almost impossible to have any frustration. Of course there are the typical frustrations and stresses that come with being a college student such as finals and midterms. However, if anything, the biggest frustration would be the fact that because NYU is such a large network locally and globally, you may find yourself competing with your colleagues fairly often for things such as a chance to study abroad of even to receive an A in a "Stern-curved" class.

For the most part, the faculty sees you as their equals, grown adults. It is nice that they think we are mature, but sometimes, they can be insensitive and harsh. Also, there's a fee for everything now. NYU tries to take your money in anyway possible and it gets frustrating when you are in a hard place financially and no one really cares that you're struggling. It becomes hard to get by sometimes. Also, when students call to complain, the higher ups generally don't care. In the end, only parents have clout when issues arise.

There are so many students among thousands of strangers in the city that one can feel very lonely. Since there are an overwhelming amount of people in a less isolated area, there isn't much of an air of community. Students also tend to be very pretentious and independent, which also makes socializing difficult. Attending college in a large city has its perks, but the disadvantages are also obvious. Too many people remind you that you are all alone in a big city. You feel insignificant to your professors and other students.

The most frustrating thing is that it is so extremely expensive and a lot of kids there don't have to worry about money. However, I am not one of those kids. I have a full course load, plus rehearsals for shows, plus a job. With all of that going on, I sometimes run out of money even to take the subway home, which is really frustrating and scary. I know that all of my other friends don't really have this worry, and I've never compared myself financially to my friends before college, so it's definitely frustrating.

Because New York University does not have a campus, it is very hard for students to be connected to the school and to each other. For other universities, the campus brings students together because their community is the university campus now and the campus activities are ways for students to meet each other and make new friends. However, since NYU does not have a campus, students have a harder time meeting new people and making new friends. NYU is already big so not having a campus is definitely a disadvantage.

While having a dorm that is seamlessly immersed in to New York City is amazing, the distance of the dorms from classes can be daunting at times particularly during the winter. During the warmer months the walk is fine but when it's cold outside it can be extrememly miserable having to walk from 3rd Avenue and 11th Street to Broadway and Waverly Place. Not only can the weather be a hassel but if you wake up late you have to run, run really fast to make it to your classes on time.

The most frustrating thing about my school was the non-campus feel. I would have preferred an enclosed campus where you knew everyone that surrounded you attended your school. Also, there were no sports houses or Greek houses where students could gather and socialize. Futhermore, while most of the campus is centered around Washington Square Park there is housing ranging from the southern tip of Manhattan to mid-town so the students are very dispersed.

This will be my first semester attending NYU so, so far nothing has really been that frustrating yet, except for the fact that I didnt get in to one of the classes that I originally wanted. Besides that so far, the only other frustrating thing is the hours of operation for certain places on campus. I work fulltime and am going to school in the evenings so needing to get things done during the day is impossible unless I take off from work.