New York University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New York University

Emma

NYU is such a unique school in that it truly is what you make it. There are amazing opportunities, facilities, so many awesome groups to be part of. Also: it's truly Manhattan. There really isn't a "campus" per say, although the Washington Square Park area is basically overrun with students at certain "class-change" times of day. You are truly living as a part of the city, as cheesy as that "the city is our campus" line sounds. It's really true. It can seem overwhelming. I think if you know that you're a person who is going to take advantage of everything it has to offer, that you will take charge of your schedule and your lifestyle and actively seek out those opportunities, you will absolutely thrive at NYU. Like I said, it's Manhattan, so sometimes things can be $$$. But as a student there, you learn how to handle yourself and find the best deals. I believe you can grow a lot at a school like NYU - it's there, ready, if only you're willing to embrace it whole-heartedly.

Roni

NYU is famous for its incredible location, smart students, and plenty of school clubs. A nobody can be a somebody at NYU. However, it's not the best option for disabled students because it is hard to get around the city in general (especially during the winter) and the campus is huge. When it comes to the students themselves, let's just say they seem like typical NY-ers, always headed somewhere and fast. If you're not quick enough, you may just fall behind.

Madeline

NYU is a very great school. The one problem I have run into recently is the amount of students who don’t speak English because they are international. It is great that NYU loves to admit international students, but when they don’t speak English it is hard for teachers and students to participate in conversations or projects.

Joanna

If you enjoy the fast-paced, environment where you may be challenged, you will like NYU. There is no campus, so if you are looking for the stereotypical college experience, this probably isn't the place for you. You will be exposed to the real world, since you will be living among adults in the city. But if you enjoy being a well-rounded student and efficient worker, you'll like the New York life. There is always so much to do and so much opportunity around you. You will meet people with vastly different view on the world than yourself and you will grow in ways you cannot imagine. You will walk away a stronger person who is informed, organized, and ready to conquer the world.

Sinai

Honestly, going to NYU was my

jiayi

efffsfsfsfsf

Victoria

New York University is the perfect school for the independent, academically-driven, and career-oriented student. While it is large and can be a bit overwhelming for those who don't seek out or make friends easily, there are many diverse communities that one can join if they truly make the effort to do so. In my opinion, there is no campus greater than NYU's - it is right in the heart of Greenwich Village, a trendy, intellectual, and bustling part of Manhattan with a cozy feel and lots of community. In Greenwich Village - and in all of New York City, for that matter - there is never a shortage of things to do. Whether you enjoy museum hopping, shopping, trying the newest food craze, or simply exploring, there is always something to do, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. This truly is the city that never sleeps - if you need pizza at 3 in the morning, you will find no shortage of dollar slice shops to satisfy your cravings! Ultimately, NYU is the perfect place for those that want more than anything to experience life in the big city as an independent adult while still belonging to a diverse, intellectual, and highly-motivated community of students.

Kyle

I absolutely love it at NYU. It was my dream school since my Junior year of high school and I have absolutely zero regrets about coming here. There is so much to do, so many people to meet, and so many connections and opportunities for internships that you just cannot go wrong at NYU.

Kyle

Alan

Dear future president, my name is Alan and as a sophomore in high school I am starting to acknowledge that the amount of standardised testing that schools around the U.S schools has increased in the past decade. This is something that we need to fix within the education system and make actually learn something for the better future for generations to come. Students around the United States have taken 122 standardised tests. We are treated in a manufactured very conservative institution almost like robots. when someone takes these tests they are to a certain degree set up for failure by offering us the same Academic studies and I feel there should be more of variety within the education system and I know you might be asking what do you mean by variety, well for example when I graduate out of high school I want to become a filmmaker and as a strong supporter of creativity I believe there should be more early different studies instead of having the same typical core academic study program. now I am not saying that this education system should be completely abolished but, there needs to be change starting by providing that variety one steady step at a time. Sincerely Alan Nunez

Madeline

NYU can be intimidating, but there are so many opportunities and groups within, once you find your place you will never feel more at home than with them. I am mainly involved in the drama community, but even so the campus as a whole is surprisingly warm and open-minded. There is always academic conversation to be had, but we like to relax and have fun together too. I have been challenged and allowed to grow, and have found so many wonderful, insightful, and frankly brilliant professors and mentors at this school. I can't imagine having gone somewhere else.

Ellie

It is a wonderful school in one of the best cities in the nation, and it is the fact that NYU is in and of the city that attracts most people to it. With the university being surrounded and embedded in a bustling and rich city, it is hard not to feel a bit more grown up than your other friends. Being able to walk wherever you want and do basically whatever you, it's freeing. The only thing that's hard to come by at NYU is a larger sense of community; it seems that everyone is doing their own thing, and that makes it harder to meet new people and make new friends. Of course there are clubs and other extracurricular activities to be a part of, but that sense of community that most traditional campus colleges seem to have is lost at NYU.

My title says it all.

Shashank

I really love my university, though there are times when I find it frustrating, especially when there are certain programs that you'd expect to be at NYU (since they're at most other universities), but for whatever reason are not available. There's no full South Asian Studies major, which I personally find absurd, but there are plenty of opportunities to learn about South Asia through student groups, faculty events, and some of the classes that are offered here. Just wish they had a coherent program for it all.

Alain

Overall, NYU is a pretty good university. Obviously, the NYC location is a big draw for most people, considering all the fun stuff that's available. Unless you live on/hang out on campus a lot (unlike me- a commuter), you might have to work a bit harder to have an actual social life. If I didn't have a good scholarship to go here, I probably wouldn't since tuition is expensive. But then again, that's probably because the facilities are pretty modern.

Danielle

I love this school. First of all, you can't beat living in New York City. You have access to endless resources, activities, and inspiration. It is a very academically challenging school no matter what you are studying and you can always find an intellectual conversation to partake in. There are so many clubs, organizations, and communities to be involved in, so it shouldn't be too hard to find friends if you're looking for 'em. However, this school is ridiculously expensive and gives very poor financial aid so it may not seem worth it for most.

Victor

Great school overall.

Sruthi

The Stern School of Business at New York University is a great school. The upperclassmen look out for the underclassmen and there is a club or group for everybody. People are encouraged to explore their interests and the professors are very accessible.

Millie

I think it is a very unique place. There are many people you can meet and learn a lot from outside the classroom. I wish it didn't cost so much to attend here, but the access to resources and network connections are astronomical. I do feel that after graduating, I will get a return on my investment.

Carolyn

This school is worth attending if you can afford it

Cesar

New York University is one of the most expensive, stressful, and busy schools in the country. In all honesty, it has high standards and many of the students find it to be a challenge because of the academics and the location of the school. These things aren't necessarily bad though. It just means that student must make sure that they are focused and driven in order to achieve their goals and make the grade. Students at this school have a great sense of community because everyone is going through the same experience and we support each other through tough times. You can find a friend in your class, your dorm, or even the streets! It is very busy here but you get used to it and realize all the perks that there are living in the big city. It may be stressful and tiring but both of these things are part of life and being at this school helps to get a hold of it and learn about dealing with it in a healthy way. Not only can you find a lot of support, you can find almost any club that you can think of and can meet a good group of people that you can click with. The academics can be difficult but you have to find the good teachers who make the education fun and worthwhile. NYU also has many events that are great to go to because of the free swag and food that they provide. Not to mention the great alumni and networking opportunities that the school constantly offers so that you can help further your future career and have people that you can ask for advice. NYU is both a great and stressful place but if you have the dedication to push forward and work through things that can be tough, you will find people and clubs that will help you throughout your college career. College can be a hard time but I know that I have people in my corner and that I am creating connections that will help me to become the successful person that I hope to be in the future. Taking chances is something that we must do in life and if someone takes a chance with NYU, they will not be disappointed.

Christopher

Overall, the University has its definite strong points. One thing I was particularly impressed with was the Sexual Assault Awareness Training they had the students complete. I felt the University approached the topic in an engaging manner without sacrificing the important nuances on the issue.

Mary

c

Fatima

My expectation for continuing graduate social work studies in NYU has helped expand my learning on how to deconstruct the notion of poverty and explain how it is based on pathology. By doing so, I am learning how to apply my social work skills for educating isolated communities about social justice issues, as well as civil rights abuses in America.

Kerissa

NYU is a great school for someone who doesn't value a traditional college experience with a closed campus and large greek life. It's full of diversity and opportunity and a great place to explore all of the possibilities for your future.

Ali

NYU is as much a part of the city as any other organization. Everywhere you go, NYU is there. It may be hard to get used to at first, and it can be a little overwhelming, but everyone here is going through the same thing. Reach out to people and take chances and you will get the most out of your college experience at NYU.

Jason

New York University is a great school in a great city. There is a lot of diversity that is quite natural to the city. If you come to learn, you certainly will. The great thing too is that there are always opportunities to get involved in. Whether that is gatherings off-campus or clubs on-campus. There is always something to do.

zuri

The tuition could be way lower considering how some of the facilities are low quality. The new renovations are really good. Most of the professors are exceptional; however there are some professors who don't know what they're doing. I would definitely enjoy NYU more if the tuition was lower.

The academics at NYU are amazing, there is really something for everyone there. And because its such a big school, there are so many clubs and activities to partake in. And since it's in NYC, you can find those outside of school as well. The only catch is that it can be difficult to find your community and you really have to seek it out and be invested in it.

Raquel

This is an amazing school with amazing opportunities. As part of the residential college, I've been to a Broadway musical for 10 dollars. My dorm faces a park where people go to protest or rally about what they believe in, including people like Madonna, who gave an impromptu concert before the election to encourage people to vote. Still, this is an inaccessibly expensive school for many. I would not be here without a very, very generous scholarship. In my opinion, it is not worth going into ridiculous amounts of debt unless you are confident you can pay it back.

Randall

NYU is a wonderful University situated in New York city. It's location makes it easy to get distracted because there is always a lot going on around you. There is constantly temptation to do something more fun or more interesting than studying or going to class so I think that becomes a big problem for many young students at NYU. However, if you know your priorities and your limitations and are disciplined, NYU is a great place to go to school. It is mighty expensive though.

Cinthia

This university has a very good progam in L.L.,M. arbitration.

India

New York University is a great school where there are so many people here to learn, grow and accept others. Being in the middle of NYC helps us have access to art and culture first hand, which is incorporated in many of the classes and campus living activities that take us to these places for free. If you want to learn and have fun come to NYU.

Daniella

NYU is a great school with a great location. The location is very much part of the academics and the culture. Sometimes it lack seems like it community, but you can definitely find your own place here.

Mayra

I feel right at home at this school. While it does have its pros and cons, it's provided me with such a wonderful academic and social experience so far. You can be as involved or uninvolved as you want, whether its being on the student senate, or partaking in your residence hall's hall council. I've taken such enriching and interesting classes with such wonderfully intelligent and kind professors (though keep ratemyprofessors.com handy. It will save your life). The "campus" itself and the surrounding area is beautiful and there's always so much going on. If you feel the typical college campus seems too confined or like you want something new, the NYU campus might be right for you.

Nyasia

Overall, I believe that New York University is the ideal school of choice if you want to live in the city, free from the barriers of a normal campus, and be academically challenged. NYU caters to everyone and once you find your niche, then be ready to have the best college years of your life. We have almost everything other universities have but on a smaller scale. However, that's ok because academics are the driving factor and the diverse array of clubs, sports, and extracurricular activities, not even mentioning the wonders that New York City itself has to offer, allow for a thorough college experience.

Jaye

New York University offers an extremely wide range of studies and places to study at. I myself studied away in London and the cultural impact that it had on my was significant and has allowed me to see the world in different ways. There is always something happening on campus, so even though the student body and campus itself is very large, everyone can find their own group to socialize and grow with. It's a very eyeopening experience.

Anatola

New York University

Hanna

Located in the heart of Greenwich Village NYU offers thousands of things to do everyday. There are hundreds of bars, restaurants and bakeries located nearby, the only problem with this is being on a college students budget. It is pure torture having all of these great eateries nearby and not being able to but anything. However, it is fun to just look. NYU has the optimal location, it is arguably one of the best located colleges in the world and it is impossible to have any complaints about the location. NYU’s food is decent. It is college food, it gets boring after a little while, but for the most part it’s fine. Lipton makes healthy food taste good and they make amazing cookies. Palladium’s Sunday brunch is the greatest thing every it singles handedly raises the level of NYU’s food from about 2.5 starts to 4.5. NYU’s academics are pretty good. It is a great art school, if one wants to be an actor or a filmmaker NYU is undoubtedly the best choice. The only problem is being surrounded by incredibly talented people makes me feel bad about myself. NYU’s other academics are pretty good too, they have great professors who are experts in their field. I’ve loved all my classes so far; other than the completely pointless core classes all colleges require. NYU also offers free HBOgo which is pretty awesome. NYU has been accused of not having a great college feel but I disagree I think it feels like real college.

Mackenzie

I really enjoy this school--obviously NYC is an exciting place to be a student! However, I find it hard to find commonalities with other students as everyone is really busy with their independent lives. Friends are around--but its hard to stay in touch after freshman year when there are lots of fun events for the students to attend. Classes are hard but rewarding!

Mia

I love it. Its competitive and demanding, but its all worth it. Great professors, great classes, great facilities, great city, and great students. Couldnt be happier! I got to Stern, and although it is a highly competitive environment, I have found great friends and super supportive professors. It’s great.

JASMINE

GREAT!

ciara

I love my school and would definitely recommend it to someone who likes to stay busy, go out, and have money to spend because NYC is very expensive.

Chloe

New York University definitely upholds its global and diverse name. Academics are rigorous, sure, but the university provides a large range of extracurricular activities that not only serve to fulfill your other passions but a place for a sense of community- something that one may find difficult to do at a college like NYU. The cityscape also creates so many door-opening opportunities for various experiences, and exposes you to speak up and understand the issues present in the city, in the US, and even in the world. And if you want a even more deeper and eye-opening chance to explore the world, the numerous global sites available for study abroad makes NYU ever the more perfect for those who strive to fully learn and experience every chance they have.

Jori

The school is grossly overpriced, but the experience of living in New York and receiving a highly ranked education is worthwhile. The film program is the second best in the country, and the Tisch school of the arts is known for producing graduates who are highly successful in their fields of choice, whether it be film, music, acting, or television.

NYU is an eye-opening experience. You get thrown into a dense and fast paced city that never sleeps. It is one of the most diverse colleges in the country in terms of student demographics. I also believe there is a strong diversity in talent. If you're at Tisch, your classmate could be the next movie or Broadway star. If you're at Stern, your classmate could be the next Chairman of the Federal Reserve. You get the idea. Overall, I think the best part about NYU is its location. Because it's in the heart of the city, there's no college campus feel or D1 sports. But, we're located in Greenwich Village with the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Nets, Giants, and Rangers nearby. The nightlife is very fun and sophisticated filled with going to clubs, concerts, bars, restaurants, and Broadway shows. However, this lifestyle isn't cheap and the tuition is outrageously high. NYU has strong job placement and most students earn starting salaries of mid to high 5 figures. So I guess the expensive degree pays off if you're lucky to land one of those jobs.

Essma

It's okay Kind of Islamophobic in the Stern School of Business though Area is great, very easy to move around because of public transportation Space is always an issue Way too expensive. TOO expensive. Highest student debt ratio in the country, actually. Also very controversial - our board head was the CEO of a student loan business. lol.

Leslie

New York University is an amazing place to be, it is a nurturing environment eve though it has a large student body. While it may seem like students here may have their own communities, there is always something to do here. The education is amazing and although the classes are large, you can always feel closer to your professor.

Rosamaria

As a student you are in the middle of New York! The city becomes your classroom and it is a great experience. There is no "strict" campus which becomes a problem for some people but one you get there it is one of the best things that you will experience.

Maya

I love everything about it. I feel like I belong. The people there are amazing and I can always find something to do. The location, atmosphere, and feeling you get from New York University is like no other. It's been my dream to go here since I was little.