New York University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for New York University

Mayra

I feel right at home at this school. While it does have its pros and cons, it's provided me with such a wonderful academic and social experience so far. You can be as involved or uninvolved as you want, whether its being on the student senate, or partaking in your residence hall's hall council. I've taken such enriching and interesting classes with such wonderfully intelligent and kind professors (though keep ratemyprofessors.com handy. It will save your life). The "campus" itself and the surrounding area is beautiful and there's always so much going on. If you feel the typical college campus seems too confined or like you want something new, the NYU campus might be right for you.

Nyasia

Overall, I believe that New York University is the ideal school of choice if you want to live in the city, free from the barriers of a normal campus, and be academically challenged. NYU caters to everyone and once you find your niche, then be ready to have the best college years of your life. We have almost everything other universities have but on a smaller scale. However, that's ok because academics are the driving factor and the diverse array of clubs, sports, and extracurricular activities, not even mentioning the wonders that New York City itself has to offer, allow for a thorough college experience.

Jaye

New York University offers an extremely wide range of studies and places to study at. I myself studied away in London and the cultural impact that it had on my was significant and has allowed me to see the world in different ways. There is always something happening on campus, so even though the student body and campus itself is very large, everyone can find their own group to socialize and grow with. It's a very eyeopening experience.

Anatola

New York University

Hanna

Located in the heart of Greenwich Village NYU offers thousands of things to do everyday. There are hundreds of bars, restaurants and bakeries located nearby, the only problem with this is being on a college students budget. It is pure torture having all of these great eateries nearby and not being able to but anything. However, it is fun to just look. NYU has the optimal location, it is arguably one of the best located colleges in the world and it is impossible to have any complaints about the location. NYU’s food is decent. It is college food, it gets boring after a little while, but for the most part it’s fine. Lipton makes healthy food taste good and they make amazing cookies. Palladium’s Sunday brunch is the greatest thing every it singles handedly raises the level of NYU’s food from about 2.5 starts to 4.5. NYU’s academics are pretty good. It is a great art school, if one wants to be an actor or a filmmaker NYU is undoubtedly the best choice. The only problem is being surrounded by incredibly talented people makes me feel bad about myself. NYU’s other academics are pretty good too, they have great professors who are experts in their field. I’ve loved all my classes so far; other than the completely pointless core classes all colleges require. NYU also offers free HBOgo which is pretty awesome. NYU has been accused of not having a great college feel but I disagree I think it feels like real college.

Mackenzie

I really enjoy this school--obviously NYC is an exciting place to be a student! However, I find it hard to find commonalities with other students as everyone is really busy with their independent lives. Friends are around--but its hard to stay in touch after freshman year when there are lots of fun events for the students to attend. Classes are hard but rewarding!

Mia

I love it. Its competitive and demanding, but its all worth it. Great professors, great classes, great facilities, great city, and great students. Couldnt be happier! I got to Stern, and although it is a highly competitive environment, I have found great friends and super supportive professors. It’s great.

JASMINE

GREAT!

ciara

I love my school and would definitely recommend it to someone who likes to stay busy, go out, and have money to spend because NYC is very expensive.

Chloe

New York University definitely upholds its global and diverse name. Academics are rigorous, sure, but the university provides a large range of extracurricular activities that not only serve to fulfill your other passions but a place for a sense of community- something that one may find difficult to do at a college like NYU. The cityscape also creates so many door-opening opportunities for various experiences, and exposes you to speak up and understand the issues present in the city, in the US, and even in the world. And if you want a even more deeper and eye-opening chance to explore the world, the numerous global sites available for study abroad makes NYU ever the more perfect for those who strive to fully learn and experience every chance they have.

Jori

The school is grossly overpriced, but the experience of living in New York and receiving a highly ranked education is worthwhile. The film program is the second best in the country, and the Tisch school of the arts is known for producing graduates who are highly successful in their fields of choice, whether it be film, music, acting, or television.

NYU is an eye-opening experience. You get thrown into a dense and fast paced city that never sleeps. It is one of the most diverse colleges in the country in terms of student demographics. I also believe there is a strong diversity in talent. If you're at Tisch, your classmate could be the next movie or Broadway star. If you're at Stern, your classmate could be the next Chairman of the Federal Reserve. You get the idea. Overall, I think the best part about NYU is its location. Because it's in the heart of the city, there's no college campus feel or D1 sports. But, we're located in Greenwich Village with the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Nets, Giants, and Rangers nearby. The nightlife is very fun and sophisticated filled with going to clubs, concerts, bars, restaurants, and Broadway shows. However, this lifestyle isn't cheap and the tuition is outrageously high. NYU has strong job placement and most students earn starting salaries of mid to high 5 figures. So I guess the expensive degree pays off if you're lucky to land one of those jobs.

Essma

It's okay Kind of Islamophobic in the Stern School of Business though Area is great, very easy to move around because of public transportation Space is always an issue Way too expensive. TOO expensive. Highest student debt ratio in the country, actually. Also very controversial - our board head was the CEO of a student loan business. lol.

Leslie

New York University is an amazing place to be, it is a nurturing environment eve though it has a large student body. While it may seem like students here may have their own communities, there is always something to do here. The education is amazing and although the classes are large, you can always feel closer to your professor.

Rosamaria

As a student you are in the middle of New York! The city becomes your classroom and it is a great experience. There is no "strict" campus which becomes a problem for some people but one you get there it is one of the best things that you will experience.

Maya

I love everything about it. I feel like I belong. The people there are amazing and I can always find something to do. The location, atmosphere, and feeling you get from New York University is like no other. It's been my dream to go here since I was little.

Elisa

Rigorous, rewarding institution They pride themselves of diversity but could definitely do better Large, but still lots of individualized attention The board is not very transparent Amazing facilities, resources, food, housing

I'm greatly enjoying NYU so far. It provides a genuinely unique experience because of the multiple schools and the location in NYC (and I mean that– I transferred here from a very typically small liberal arts school that was much more generic). The school provides a vast range of experiences, so you can really shape your own life at NYU. If you want a big party scene and greek life, it's here; if you want a quiet off-campus life, it's here; if you want serious academics, it's here; if you want to prioritize extracurriculars, you can absolutely do that here. The only universal part of the experience would be that the school's services and offerings (academic and extracurricular) tend to be tucked away in their own categories, making them somewhat difficult to find. It's such a big school that no single person really knows everything that's going on for any given area of interest, and that can be a really great thing, but it can also make you miss certain opportunities or programs that could be very exciting. I enjoy that aspect of NYU life, because it means I'll be discovering new things about the school until I graduate, but it does mean that you have to do the work to find things to do at the school. If you're the type of person who loves finding your own path, then this school is probably a good fit, but if you want an easily navigable college with your opportunities and paths clear to you from the outset, a smaller school might be the way to go.

Giovanna

I think it's a great university with a number of opportunities and networking for the students. The faculty at the school is top notch, and are clearly passionate about their subjects. However, I can't help but hate the rising cost of tuition here at NYU.

Jhoenmy

NYU is a place where there is no way you cannot thrive. There is so much help you just have to ask for it. Academic advisors are amazing. Professors aren’t all the best but you find people who you can study with. NYU is very diverse when it comes to its atmosphere. We may not be a typical campus but Greenwhich Village is definitely a cool place to be.

Melissa

I'm a freshman and at a study abroad site; Florence. Because of this I don't really know how the NY campus is and my opinions are only of the Florence campus. I do really like the place and the people. NYU staff is so helpful and friendly. I feel like I'm having the best college experience I could have. Love it here.

Bradli

I think that it is a great school that encourages intellectual growth within its students and is great for research and the arts. I have found it to be full of opportunities both academic or otherwise. I particularly enjoy the emphasis they put on taking care of both your mind and body as I find those to be issues that have become prevalent in our current social climate.

Sophie

I think that New York University is a great school in a great location. The class sizes allow for thorough discussions to be held, and the teachers are all invested and knowledgeable about what they are teaching. The location does, however, promote a lot of partying, and many underage students participate in drinking activities at local bars.

Dakota

An excellent school in an excellent place–an education which is about as fast paced and as rigorous as the city it is in. The community is great, and in the village you will always be able to find a fellow student ready to engage in some academic banter. The dining hall food gets boring after a while, but thats nothing that New York City can't make up for: just look around.

Sam

Big school that you have to be ready for. You have to be fairly independent before coming here, and the school won't help you in getting comfortable. Terrible financial aid packages and obviously very expensive but it isn't that obvious what the excessive tuition is paying for. The best part of going here is being in the city.

Tiffaine

NYU sits in the center of one of the greatest cities. In addition to the location, the curriculum provides students with an opportunity to marry their knowledge with real-life problems in the world around us. Given the location, NYU can do a better job at recruiting a more diverse student population. I would like to see more efforts implemented to ensure proper representation from all groups and backgrounds. The professors at NYU have been supportive and extremely knowledgeable. They share their expertise in a way that's easy to understand and relate to. The facilities are well maintained, however the tech infrastructure can be better integrated. The students at NYU are well-rounded and very open-minded. We know how to have fun, but then get the work done. Overall, I love the energy and opportunities presented at this school. #SternieForLife

Elena

I left Gallatin at NYU after my sophomore year. I felt like I wanted to leave after my freshman year but I ended up trying to hang on for another year to see if things got better. As a writer, I found NYU extremely underwhelming. Writing classes often repeated classwork-- I was given the same assignments multiple times. The professors of the classes were usually TAs. Any classes I took through the College of Arts and Sciences had the same impersonal vibe, and I felt the professors didn't care about my success in the class. Having a lack of passionate community is what really ruined NYU for me. For the most part, I liked living in the city. I just got fed up with the lack of inspired and motivated students and professors.

JC

I love my school so much and I am very happy that I chose it as my dream school. I have been intellectually and professionally challenged but I am never too over-worked or stressed. There are always people to talk to and they're usually nice. You can't beat being in New York City!

Lillian

I am currently a freshman at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Overall, the academic and social atmosphere is very encouraging and inclusive. The professors are always accessible someway or another whether it be in person during office hours or over email. All of the professors are very intelligent and work hard to make sure that their students get the most out of their class. The food in the cafeteria at Tandon could be better, but as it is a rising campus in Brooklyn, NY.. it will take some time. I am very happy with my choice to study at Tandon and cannot wait for what's to come!!

Bailey

Overall, I think NYU is a great school- especially with the connections that your professors can provide you in your future careers. The connections to internships, study abroad opportunities and professors that work in the industry cannot be compared to any other university in my opinion.

Xinjie

Your social life will be made 500% easier if you join a sports team, campus funded club, or Greek life. All of NYU's school pride stays within the associated school (Stern, Tisch, CAS, GLS, etc.) and NYC life is so stressful, so many people feel lonely if they lack the willpower to go out and explore. However, because of NYU's rich history, alumni heavily fund almost all student programs: there are no fees for most student clubs like the Cheese and Wine Club. Additionally, you can basically make up any club you want, get 5 members, and NYU will literally throw in thousands of dollars for events. NYU is so rich. You just have to ask them for money and they will shower you with it. Additionally, NYU offers easily accessible psychiatric help for when you have your inevitable breakdown or need to refill your Vyvanse. Guys: it's super easy to find any type of girl or guy (or whatever you're into) you like here. Just remember that you're competing with the rest of NYC. Girls: Make sure you're okay about going to a school where you may have a hard time finding straight men. It's super easy to hook up with a working professional anywhere in the city though. "Don't be boring. Go out. Be bold. Try new things." - Fake NYU Motto

Desiree

Ever since I was a little kid, by superficial standards alone, I was infatuated with NYU. A gorgeous school which incorporated the city surrounding it into the natural flow of the campus, unlike most colleges which seem to exist apart from their cities. Getting accepted to this school was a dream come true and attending it was even better. I loved every moment I got to be there, the same love pushing me to do my best in my field of studies and yielding incredible results. As of today, there's nothing I don't love about this college.

Dashley

Good

Aliyah

NYU is a great school in a number of ways. It's location is spectacular and allows for students to always have something to do. The only downside to it's location is that there is no actual campus and buildings are divided. NYU however has a lot of funding and it is visible that the money goes back into the school. There are many activities and clubs to get involved in. Campus jobs are also available to a lot of students. The school is highly secure, students as well as faculty must show or swipe ID as they enter each building.

Margaret

New York University was an amazing experience. Being in the 'Big Apple' if there is anything that the campus itself does not offer, you can find it right outside your door, or down the street and around the corner. Having attended Tisch School of the Arts, I was grateful for an educational experience that included knowledgeable professors who were also working artist themselves. The class size was always manageable, and there was never a lack of interest from the professors. There are endless extracurricular activities, on -campus and off-campus events, clubs, and groups. NYU in all aspects encourages independent spirit, academic achievement, and outside-of-the-box thinking.

Grace

It is very diverse and I love the scenery.

Evelyn

Overall, New York University is great. It is not a traditional campus in the sense that it is in the middle of New York City and downtown Brooklyn. While there isn't a lot of Greek life and there isn't an official football team, students are free to do any activity within the university or in the city. I currently reside in the Brooklyn part of NYU yet I still take classes in Manhattan and have university provided transportation to Manhattan even if I don't have class.

Sanjana

Campus New York University (NYU) is a large college; with over 50,000 students and a campus spread out across New York city (NYC), it doesn’t have the cozy, intimate feel of small-town colleges. It’s more of a cosmopolitan experience that involves traveling everywhere by subway. Most NYU facilities are state of the art. Administration NYU has both a decentralized campus and administration system, which can be a little frustrating. Coordination between the departments is poor and some of the structures are counterintuitive. The good thing however, is that any email sent to any administrative department is usually answered within 24 hours. Cost NYU is one of the most expensive colleges in the country, and NYC is an expensive city to live in. Apart from tuition, rent, transport and food are all expensive. NYU does offer scholarships; some are listed on the website but many are not, so interested candidates should ask the department they want to apply to. Many scholarships are announced in the acceptance letter, but knowing beforehand whether or not it’s available can be helpful. The administrative departments constantly inform students of new scholarship and grant facilities. Diversity Both NYC and NYU are very diverse environments. NYU goes out of its way to admit people of all ethnicities, races, religions genders and sexualities. It then nurtures this diversity by providing prayer facilities and clubs and organizing events to help these groups congregate and find expression. Utmost care is taken to ensure sensitivity to these nuances. Overall the mindset is extremely liberal. Housing Undergraduate students are provided with campus housing, but since NYU doesn’t have an official campus, that means the dorm will be somewhere in the vicinity of downtown NYC. There’s very limited housing for graduate students; they are encouraged to seek out their own accommodations but if they are still interested in campus housing they have to apply and are informed of the results a month after the deadline. Preference is given to students who are more than 25 miles away from home. Campus housing is comparable to or more expensive than housing in Manhattan, and considerably more expensive than housing in the other boroughs of NYC, which involve a longer commute. NYU also has a housing registry to help people find off-campus housing and/or roommates. Academics The academics at NYU are very good, because NYU is a more progressive college than most and is quick to embrace new technologies and ideas. This is reflected in the curriculum - very often the syllabus of the course changes from semester to semester depending on the latest developments in the field. Similar programs at other colleges have much more conservative programs. Most classes have a good balance of theory and project work, so that students have something to show employers when they leave college. A good number of classes also have tie-ups with firms or institutions, to expose students to real world practices and give them a chance to network. There are also several opportunities to study abroad. Professors The professors at NYU make themselves very accessible, both in person and over email and social media. Departments usually organize several events with professors as well, some formal and some informal, and at the graduate level there’s often wine and cheese involved. Professors also go out of their way to help students find jobs by connecting them to people and providing references. Peers NYU gives you the opportunity to curate friendships with people from all walks of life by exposing you to different people with different ideologies. Being around so many smart, talented and well-informed people really motivates you to work hard to keep up. Student life There's always something happening, in the city and on campus. NYU offers several clubs and events for students, to the extent that every student would easily find at least five types of affiliations they could join if they wished. The college also offers events that make the most of NYC’s unique culture like walks on the Brooklyn Bridge and tours of Grand Central station. Sports NYU has a poor sports culture. It has two gyms for students that also offer a number of classes but the competitive sports culture is very close to nonexistent. I had to Google it to find out about it for this essay, because I haven’t encountered it in any way. Safety NYC is not a very safe place to live, so there’s an inherent risk involved. My roommate has walked by an armed encounter, my classmate's neighborhood deli had a shooting and two of my classmates have been robbed. NYU offers students a ride home if it’s late and they feel threatened. However that only applies if you’re leaving or going to an NYU building, the rest of the time you’re on your own. Proximity to shops and restaurants Since it’s located in NYC, NYU offers access to most national chains and a number of boutique shops and restaurants as well.

Sojourner

I have really enjoyed my experience at NYU, though everyone seems to have a different one. You can find a group to suit whoever you are and whoever you want to be (unless you love football, we don't have a team). Sports do not get a lot of attention but they do exist. Life at NYU is what you make it and academics vary widely between the schools, so that is hard to speak to in a university review. I will say that the diversity in emphasis creates an incredible environment that fosters a lot of innovation and collaboration among students.

Julia

I transferred to New York University from Colgate University, and I could not be happier with my decision to do so. I love the diversity at NYU. Everyone I meet is so interesting and nice, which I did not find a lot of at Colgate. Plus, my professors are extremely good at what they do. They actually connect with the students, and care about us. Lastly, the location is amazing. I was skeptical transferring to NYU because I was under the impression there was not a campus; however, that is very much not the case. There is a campus within the city, so a community is formed unlike schools without a campus.

Anna

NYU is a great place to meet people from all sorts of backgrounds from every corner of the world. There is a large international population not to mention NYU's global connections. I am personally set to go abrod three times this during my four years at NYU. Even if you don't leave NYC although almost everyone does at least once, New York city is your campus. The experiences are endless!

Ateera

Overall, New York University is a pretty great school. It's in the center of New York City so of course that allows the school to provide a wide variety of opportunities for its students. The campus is highly integrated with the city and there are many activities that require students to take the subway/bus to get to locations, so it's a good idea to learn how the subways work. There are many volunteer opportunities, many of which involve interacting with the homeless or helping to keep the environment clean. Many of its classes are small in size and if you ask the professors for help they're more than willing to assist you, but you have to ask. Nobody's going to be chasing after you to get your work done.

Aswad

New York University has its positives and a fair share of negatives as well. For the positives aspects, the school offers many opportunities to develop your professional life, while your still in school (Internships, career fairs, etc). On the negative side, the school, being so big and open, does not have a strong sense of community in it. You may feel lonely despite being surrounded by people.

Lily

NYU is a multicultural and global university that trains and prepares you for the real world unlike other college campuses. Its campus is in and of the city and trains students how to navigate the city as an independent individual. I've learned how to be an adult and interact with the world just by walking to and from class. It's a fast-paced place that keeps you on your toes and there's always an opportunity to grow from every situation. The academics provide an in-depth scope and unique teaching experiences which allow for a well-rounded education. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Lia

NYU has exceeded my expectations in terms of quality of classes, proffesors and the students who are chosen for the program. The facilities are great considering it's in New York City, there is so much access to opportunities to meet companies, interesting speakers come on campus, students go work at interesting places after school. It's an incredible network.

Shubhangi

This is a university like no other. NYU is a place for very independent and driven students. Everyone has a different experience and that is because the experience you get is very much dependent on the experience you go after. If you want community, you have to go after it (it exists!), and if you want the exact opposite, you have the liberty to do so; there's no one way to do life at NYU. You will find students from every kind of background; NYU has an incredibly vast range of personalty types. But once again, it is up to you to find your kind of people, and that can be hard in a school so big. For the size that it is, NYU has incredible resources, excellent professors and class sizes, pretty good food, and really nice housing. The study abroad program is available to everyone for no extra tuition cost and is incredibly well executed. NYU is a school of endless opportunities and is a great fit for students ready to take on the responsibilities of real life.

Daliah

I loved my experience at NYU, but I realize it isn't for everything. NYU is a very self-run school. You get out of it what you put into it, but you can get a lot out of it. We truly have NYC as our campus and there are invaluable things to experience here. Nightlife is very different from the typical greek life and tailgates, so if that's what you want you won't find it here. Professors are caring and have great intellect and reputation.

Karel

I absolutely love this school. Great people, classes, and professors. Slightly over priced but definitely worth the $$. The fact that this school is located in New York City adds to the greatness of it all. There are so many opportunities that are not only at NYU but are also in the city that makes it worth the time, money, and effort to live in NYC/NYU.

Bonnie

It's a well-funded school, but it does have its downsides. The staff is not interested in seeing me reach my potential, there are not enough opportunities for me to grow as performer, Public Safety does not take complaints about the smell of weed seriously, and everything is a bit too overwhelming.

Leniuqe

New York University (NYU) is full of opportunities. Everyday the university provides events and resources for students to further both their academic and future careers. NYU constantly works to provide comfort to their students which they have achieved by providing us with computer and TV lounges, midterm and finals smoothies and massages, and a large library with spacious rooms which ensure everyone has a comfortable place to study. Students interest are also taken into consideration by the university, as NYU is very open minded to students creating clubs even if it's a cupcake club. Lastly, NYU simply provides the best of the best. From locations of school buildings to dining halls and professors, it is very hard to feel unequipped or unprepared for a bright future when you attend NYU.