Brookline, MA
Newbury College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Newbury College

Anonymous

Terrible. Don't waste your money here. Straight up scammers. If you wanna attend school in Boston, spend your tuition dollars and loan $ somewhere. Maybe Boston College up the street. I spent my freshmen year at Newbury before transferring out like 90% of the class of 2019 and there is, even more, people from my that class that are going finish their last two years somewhere else. Essentially, I would describe Newbury as a stepping stone for many students. Newbury wasn't our dream school for many us but instead our last resorts. I've had classmates tell me they are coming to Newbury for a year or two to get their grades up to transfer to the school they really want to be at (ex. a kid on my floor couldn't get into Morehouse College because his HS grades were "horrible". It's just not a quality school and looks like it's on the brink of closing down in the next 10 years. My friend told me they shut two of their off-campus dormitories down, they stopped asking for housing deposits from people, in 2016 they had 860-something students and they went down 700. The food was terrible, they had one dining hall with limited options, no seasoning in the food and should be looked at by the Department of Health after one of the cafeteria workers gave me a plate of with a piece of stringy hair in it. The staff are RUDE from the dean to chairperson to even the public safety officer and if they don't like you it will show. They are very nice the first time you meet them because they want you come here. It's a dry campus, so I already was livid, because you're telling me when I turn 21 -year old I can't have liquor in my room?? Diversity and class size wise the school get an A. 57% of the students are minorities and my dorm hall Weltman was predominately black and Latino students we all hung out with each other a lot as most of the white kids were either busy with off-campus shenanigans or being a student-athlete. As far as class size, I prefer a class of 20-40 students, I'm not a lecture hall type student. Socially the school was VERY cliquey and no one tries to talk to you if you're outside their clique. Basically high school 2.0. It's a mostly commuter school and we couldn't even reap discounts down the hill or in Boston because the lack of student at our school. Boston College kids get discounts down on Chestnut Hill. There was absolutely nothing to do on any given day or weekend: no school trips or school activities because they the school doesn't really have money. There was barley any student organizations, I tried to start an open forum about racism and being black in America and I was denied. The black kids at this school (and I'm black so don't attack) were GHETTO. The amount of drama, fights and behavior had you thinking they were on a VH1 reality show. A lot of them come from nearby Boston and other parts of Mass specifically the inner-city neighborhoods. One black girl I remember was fighting this guy in the dining hall (screaming and coming near him) while the Res Life and Administration staff were sitting down eating dinner. Some the students (of all races) were just dumb but then again Newbury lets anyone come to their school. Academically wise, I'ma a Communications major and we had three full-time staff members. One I liked very much but she left when I did as well, the other was complete bitch and subtly disrespectful, the third was a technician for the tv studio and radio station and was very standoffish. The Comm dept. only had 50 students who were majoring in it..... We had no school newspaper (because of $), the Communication Club was rarely​ active, the radio station equipment was super old (people barley knew about the station which was internet radio only) and we had no money to fix it, the TV studio was off limits to new students. The RAs took their job WAY too seriously...trying to act like our parents like no I got one fucking mama and you are not her. One of them told us to mind our business but was talking shit about a best friend of mine. When 10pm hits it's quiet hours so u can't even be in the hallway you have to be in a room. The men's' basketball team sucks they lose almost every game. The dean of student punishes student over little things Way too unfairly. Weltman had communal bathroom which were nasty. We had some as NASTY bitches and niggas. The girls threw up all over the bathroom every friday because they couldn't handle their liquor, they got charged for clogging the toliet with their tampons and some girl even pooped in the shower and facilties had to clean it up. The RA said even said she "never experienced an issue like that before" We were always getting fined for damages on the floor because staff couldn't find out who did it. Like I said, don't come here. If you want to go for culinary arts maybe but beware of being in the dorms for that. People in Weltman make crazy noise until 2/3am in the morning and culinary arts students have to wake up at 6 to for their class that runs from 7am-1pm with three breaks (or you could do 2-8pm). There was also no student health center. I did appreiate them awarding student work-study because at my new school they rarley gives student work-study

Sidney

My overall opinion of Newbury College is that it is a great school, and I don't regret deciding to complete my Bachelors degree in Psychology at Newbury. I love the feeling of still feeling like I'm at home, and the T to go into the city is accessible because we are located about 10-15 minutes away from the city of Boston. In terms of security we have 24/7 on campus security where people are monitored in every building because of our great camera system that is watched by our Longwood police team. I feel safe living on campus, academically I'm also able to understand what is going in the classroom because of how small the class sizes are! Professors are also willing to meet with students outside the classroom if additional extra help is needed. The campus also has a great success center where students can study and do their homework after class times.

Natisha

The school is really small so it's a more intimate setting which I enjoy. The professors are usually really knowledgeable and only want to help. the school is overly expensive for what we get and they raise "the cost of living" every year. I was able to afford the school up until my senior year which sucks. I owe the school nearly 10,000 in order to graduate. Due to the increase in cost of living! AND I DONT EVEN LIVE THERE. Financial aid office is absolutely no help what so ever and they barely if ever answer the phone. Most of the students are ghetto and it feels like a high school almost. If your deciding on Newbury even if the scholarship seems too good to be true, It's cause it is! Say no! Choose a different school so you don't end up like me and end up not knowing if you'll be able to walk the stage.

Paige

I love Newbury. It's diverse, small class sizes, people are friendly, and the professors of the Psych department make my major worth while.

I feel like there is not a specific stereotype at this school. Newbury is diverse in culture, ethnic background, and students come from all around the world.

Depending on your level of prior education, it can be super easy, or somewhat challenging. Students are placed into classes they will do well in and work with their academic counselor to decide which classes to enroll into each semester. Most classes are straight forward and easy; there is a lot of reading usually and homework to do, but you have to try to fail your classes.

Katelyn

The only other school I really considered was Salem State. Compared to that school, Newbury is really small, but the class sizes are the perfect size. They're not too big or small. What I like about this school is that everyone on my floor is pretty close and I really like that. I like being able to go to anyone's door and it be normal that I'm there.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, it would be the most helpful thing in the world. I would tell myself to try my hardest and keep my grades up so I could get into a good school. I would tell myself to still go to Newbury College because I'm going to meet some of my best friends here and they're going to be around for a while. I would tell myself not to worry because everything works out in the end. I would say that all the sleepless nights weren't necessary and that mom and dad were wrong. The friends I had senior year and throughout high school are still around and they're not going anywhere. The worrying is pointless because I'm okay now.

People should not attend this school if they don't like small campuses. Although everything is right where you need it, some people might like the walk or the having places to roam around.

Isaiah

The transfer from high school to college life is not as difficult as people make it seem. The big difference that I have found is that you don't get to see the same people that you were use to as much, like family of close friend, when living on campus.

A person that does not put effort into work, or a person that desires a degree not offered here should not attend this college.

Nothing is frustrating about this college that really stands out to me.

kareem

I would tell my highschool self: "Who ever told you it was going to be easy, lied to you. High School may have been the most annoying, emotional and life changing 4 years of your life. What's to come un college is completely different. You are going to be on your own. The people that said will be there for you may not be there ad they said they would be. My father kicked me out of the house shortly after graduation. From that point, I had to prepare for the real world. Becoming an indepedent student with no financial help is very difficult and may be stressful. Not being able to apply for loans without a cosigner and left with a 18,000 student loan bill will somehow be worth it in the end. Keep your head up! Continue to aspire to change the world for our troubled you. Become the voice they need when the world don't understand them. Change the world and make it a better place, YOU CAN DO IT."

ANYONE could attend ANY SCHOOL that they are interestrd in. No one should be denied an education because of their financial situations, race, sexuality or academic challenges they may face.

The school work to fit your needs. The staff is very welcoming and willing to help you understand how the college life work. Everyone have positive attitude and are very friendly.

Some are loud and annoying while others are quiet

Some are loud and annoying while others are quiet

Enjoy the freedom you have away from family but don't forget to call them. Study hard and the grades will come, just not in high school. You will be fine relax.

Yomaira

The best thing about this school are the professors that are always there to help you out whenever you need help. I would change the cafeteria food items and make it more diverse. I would love it if the college expands itself and for instance has an auditorium or space for sport games. My school is not too small or large is perfect size which is one of the main reasons why I decided to go there. People know that it is a good hotel/restaurant school but there are others that do not know much about the college. Most of my time on campus I spend it in classes or at the library. The school administration is great and whenever there is a complaint from students or parents, they always try to work on the issue and get it fixed. THERE IS A LOT OF SCHOOL PRIDE FOR NEWBURY COLLEGE! The seats on some of the classroom are unusual because they're very small and uncomfortable. Student complaints are mostly about the shuttle service and how it runs every 15 minutes from Cleaveland Circle to the campus.

The most popular clubs in the campus are Inkeepers club and teen voices as well as active minds. I am involved with the Inkeepers club which is more related to hotel major. They do different events throughout the year. There is a Montreal trip every year. They do a Christmas party called Home for Little Wanderers to help unpriviledge children get a gift for Christmas and provide families with a basket full of food items. Athletic events are popular although sports are not my interest.Students in dorms do not leave their doors open that I know of because I do not live on campus. There are many guest speakers on campus throughout a semester.

My school is very diverse and I love it because you get to meet different people with different backgrounds. I do not believe any student would feel out of place in this school. Students usually dress casual to class (jeans and a shirt). People definately interact with different people.

All of the professors know my name. My favorite class is World Civilization because we talk about history and the teacher makes the class fun and we all participate. My least favorite class if Food and Beverage Control because we always have a lot of work load to do and the class sometimes leads to different topics that has nothing to do with the subject itself. Students study but not that much. Class participation is very campus in the college. Students are competitive. MY major is hotel administration and I might get a minor in psychology. I usually do not spend time with professors outside of class unless I do not understand something from class. The schools academic requirements are good although it can be more strict. The education you get at Newbury College actually helps once you get a job in the related field.

Chris

The best things about this school are the people. I would change the cafeteria times of this school, since they aren't opened long enough. I spend most of my time in my room or in the library.

Some popular groups are Orientation Leaders, and Residential Assistant.

Students at our school are fun, and easy going.

The teachers are very helpful, and charismatic. Most of the subjects that they teach they work in too. Some teachers even give you their numbers for help over the weekends.

Newbury College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.